Comrades (South Africa) 56 miles

Comments

• For Comrades this year I got a package with Bushwise tours. We were very well looked after by people who had done comrades over 20 times themselves. We were picked up from the airport and taken to our accomadation at Hillcrest which is on the route. We were taken to the Hillcrest Runners pasta party and made to feel very wecome. They looked after us very well before the run, took us along the route and to the expo etc. Then on the morning we were driven to the start and my OH was looked after all day enroute whilst I ran. He had an amazing breakfast cooked for him whilst waiting to see me. He was then taken to Durban and saw me coming in at the finish. The following day we were taken to the beachfront and joined in with the aches and pains party. Then the following day we were flown out to have a few days in Kruger National park where again we were looked after very well and had an amazing time. All in all a fantastic trip.

Tricia

• Trinity- A friend of mine runs for Severn and it is often their club championship. Thought you may know her Jo Fletcher. Tall, blond and runs in pigtails. She's sub 3.15 too.

Good to hear people's views on hotels. Been checking flights and costs etc. Will probably stay in Durban and bus back after.

Tricia- Thanks for posting that. SOunds similar to the sort of trip I'd like to do. Will have a look at them.

• Yes, thanks Trish... I will check them out too image

Odeon... don't think I know her, may have seen her though... or the back of her, I'm not a sub 3.15er yet, just a wannabe image

• Hi All,

Having grown up in South Africa and some of that time in Durban, I always remember watching the Comrades, Bruce Fordyce  in particular, really is an amazing race. If you ever feel like a good cry - just watch the end when the gun gets fired for the cut off time!!!!!

I live in the UK now and am considering entering, but am commited to 2 Oceans next year. Anyone run both in the same year? I know people in SA tend to do both. Just wondering what the toll on the body is like.

• or the toll on the walletimage

Is there a training schedule posted on the Comarades site for the UP?  I have been drifting along now just doing maintenance runs  all summer but once the 24hr is out of the way and I get sufficieitnly recoverd - I think I would like something formal to beat me out the door , even if it is very long plan.

when do you plan on getting down and dirty for specific Comrades training?

• Fizzio, for my up runs I've always used the official coach to get me back to Durban after the race - it costs around £5. As Keith has mentioned, it's not one of the great bus journeys of the world, everyone on the coach is tired, smelly and asleep... For me travelling on my own, it is simpler to stay in Durban and keep all my stuff there and use the coach. I then don't have to worry about taking stuff to a second hotel or paying for a cab back to Durban...

Accommodation in Durban - I used to stay at the City Lodge which is a couple of blocks away from the beach and the Expo, but this year it was booked up so I stayed at the Hilton which was next to the Expo and very nice. (Although nearly twice as expensive as City Lodge...) Hmmm decisions, decisions...

Getting to the start - if you are walking from a hotel in Durban it will be pretty safe as the roads will be full of runners walking to the start with you.

Gregor, ran both in 2006, 2007 and 2008. I'm also planning to do both in 2011. If you treat Two Oceans as a long training run and take it easy it's not really a problem.
  • Slow duck thats great info. Thanks. Willl also check out he bush thing suggested a few posts back and between the two I think I will go with one or the other.

Great to hear about a bus back.

• Hi everyone

I did a 25km mountain race in Rustenburg on Saturday, it was a tough little bugger and finishing in 1:57 was nice as I am only ticking over at present.

Fizziofinn - I will be doing between 45 and 70km per week until January, racing the odd half and 10km. I won't be doing any runs over 25km during this time. January will be similar but I will up the mileage to around 50 miles per week. February will be similar to January, but with some 20 mile runs. March and April are the key months and I will be doing between 60 and 70 mile weeks with marathons and ultras scheduled almost every weekend. Everything up to March has to do with getting in shape to handle the mileage during March and April.

Good to see all the excitement. I must be honest I find the up run tougher (although less painful)

• sportaloo, great to have a guide to what to expect and what to budget for training wise.

I dead the uphill , but sure , i will do my best and hopefully will get there in the time.

• Hi I'm new to the forum and will be running comrades in 2011. My race history is 1 half and 1 full marathon, so I think I'll have to put in some work to get up to scratch. Looking foward to the next 9 months of sharing the highs and lows and gleaming plenty of useful info from the veterans of the race.
  • Welcome Stevie - what prompted you to go for Comrades?
  • Thanks SD - I've always wanted to do Comrades. Had planned on racing London marathon next year and Comrades in 2012, but London really wasn't getting me excited so I've decided to go for Comrades next year. Will now be treating London as a training run, which should make it a fun day out

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Stevie

I did London this year as a training run but added ten miles on at the start to mak eit the last long one - pretty surreal running the first 5 miles of the course (and back) before the race started - to be recommended.

Keith

• just had my double down medal this year , and now planing for my 3rd comrades and my 1st up , theres not many hills in swindon  so im planing on the snowdonia marathon to see how i get on. how do i tackle the first half  on an up doesnt look like much walk brakes intill the second half

my e mail is chipcookie99@hotmail.com

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Well done christoper on your medal again this year. Sounds like you will be another one who we can all glean lots of usefull info fromimage

Are you planning on doing the swindon half in october. That was my first half a few years back and from memory had a few hills...I am planning on running it but hopefully at marathon pace this time..

• hi marti,

yes ive entered the swindon half , it will be my 1st one ,  the comrades is the best ultra i have done , its adictive, even for a slow runner like myself , we are called rugby runners out there because of every incline you will see us walk  and we are built on the big side but keep on going, thats why im dreading the first half as i dont think there will be time for a walk brake, but after the half way i will be happy  and hope i will be fine to walk up polly shorts and know theres only 7 ks to go then

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

I did my first ultra at Two Oceans this year and absolutely loved it. And i think its part of the atmosphere to walk part of the way, that way at least you get to eat all of the weird and wonderful food on offerimage

• Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

Hey all!!

Booked my accommodation and flights for Berlin! Arrive Friday - leave Monday! Trinity I know you're going - anyone else??

Also, who's done the Doyen of the Downs? Am I mad to consider it given I've never done an off road run??

• Welcome Stevie image

SD... City Lodge is booked already for next year!

Yayy Carmen... glad you got the extra day!

I did the Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 50k yesterday, did the marathon last year, absolutely beautiful course! The 50k was a tad short though at 29.6 miles.

• Well . I finished my 24 hour run in Belfast. I clocked 84.54 miles.image I throughly enjoyed it.

I did think when I passed 56 miles that I was in big trouble as it was outside the 12 hours. For ages I kept thinking that I would need to pull up mu socks with training if I was going to make the cutoff time. But perhaps I wouldnt be doing as much walking on the day. Even though I am so proud and happy, there is a new fear that I need to train hard for comrades.

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

84.54 is a great performance and if you can do that then I am sure you can do Comrades. Thats a great achievement - well done

You needed to keep stamina for another 30 odd miles in you so no wonder you did it a bit slower than Comrades pace.

Great stuff

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Well done fizz. Brilliant effort. Comrades is ages away and you have a great base to build upon. And besides pacing yourself for 24 hours must be somewhat different to 12. Huge congratsimage
  • Congratulations Fizzio. I wouldn't worry too much about the pace as you needed to pace yourself over 24 hours. A bit like running 12 hours for Comrades and then worrying about a sub-5 marathon...

Trinity - thanks for the heads up on City Lodge - what a shocker! And the Hilton seem to have put up their prices too!
  • Wow Fizzio, that's fantastic, well done!! Like others have said... you can't compare running 56 miles during a 24 hour event to running Comrades, you'll be fine image

SD... yep, I'm now considering the package type thing that Trish mentioned. Almost definitely going to stay on and see a bit of SA while I'm over there anyway

• Thanks image I guess you are righ about the pacing. Next challenge will be done with you all there , so that will be special too.

I checked that hotel and it is unavailable I presume booked out? I think I wil end up going for a package too.I guess I better not leave it too long. When registration opens I guess the accommodation will disappear as quickly.

• Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

oh my god i can't believe how disgustingly healthy you all are!!!!! image

and that city lodge is full! must be block booked! just had a look at flight prices -- seem normal at the moment!!

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Carmen23 - in terms of flights there are "only" about 150-200 people who take part from the UK in a normal year which shouldnt have any impact on flight pices.
  • I guess Block Booking is probably what has happened with the hotels. Bummer.

Flights wise. Is the UK the main hub for South Africa or if you were travelling from outside the UK, what other cities might be good to transfer through? Id be coming from Ireland

• Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

Keith - yeah, doh to me!!!

Fizzio - just use a screenscraper like kayak and they'll  come up with the best options for u. Works out cheaper for me to fly Lon - Joburg direct then get separate internal flight to Durban rather than book all the way thru - seems to save £100s!!

Though in saying all this, i read something the other day that you shouldnt even consider Comrades if you havent done a sub 345 marathon (my fastest is 415), and then i had a dream last night that i ran Berlin as fast as i could - felt great - but came in at 430 and cried the whole way home!! arrghhhhh!!!!

off to do twice round Richmond today...15m suddenly seems a v v short distance..!!

• Where did you read that Carmen... that's rubbish. otherwise the qualifying marathon time would be a lot lower than it is.

I bet you go sub 4 at Berlin too image