Comrades (South Africa) 56 miles

Comments

• Does anyone have a pace predictor for comrades, that works off a marathon time? Also if anyone has used one in the past, do they find they are accurate or not?
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Stevie

From doing a lot of reading last year most South African commentators seem to use a matrix of your marathon times and the amount of Kms you run from Jan 1st in Comrades year. Was pretty accurate for me this yera.

Have a look at

http://www.runner.co.za/2009/05/12/how-to-calculate-your-comrades-finishing-time/

Which sets out the thinking and a reasonable predictor

Carmen

Agree with Trinity that thats rubbish about 3:45. There is some debate about 4:30 being a more appropriate cut off but if you look at the stats from this year even 60%+ of the bottom seeded group who managed to start managed to finish in time.

Have a look at

http://forums.comrades.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3745&PN=1

Seems to say that one of the hardest parts of comrades (as with most marathons) is getting to teh start line in one piece.

All

I am thinkin of doing the Atlantic Coast Challenge. Its three days of trail running over the atlantic coast to lands end. A marathon a day. Anyone done it or heard good things / bad things about it? Havent really done the training but we shall see

http://www.votwo.co.uk/votwo2007/events-and-adventure/race_view.php?i=117

• looks very interesting Keith ...shame its my daughters 17th birthday on 2nd Oct else I might be tempted image

• Carmen - I agree with everyone else - the 3:45 stuff is complete rubbish! When the cut-off was 11 hours the qualifying time used to be a 4:30 marathon. The cut-off is now 12 hours...

Stevie - Keith's link is spot on for me this year - ran just under 3:50 for marathons, trained just over 1000km and Comrades time was 10:28 - predictor says 10:30!

• Thanks Keith L & SD, it predicts the time I want to run, just need to put the miles in now and avoid injury.
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    What time are you targeting Stevie?
  • Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

Trinity - I'd love to do a sub 4, but yesterday's run was a disaster!! managed a v slow and painful 6miles - think i'm just knackered from doing tonnes of cycling and working everyday- including double shifts - for the past 2 weeks! Fingers x'ed i can get a long run in before my next run of night shifts tomorrow night- argghhh!!

Cheers slowduck and Keith for the reassurance on the times!!!

Iread the 345 thing in a book 'The Lore of Running' written by a south african (name i cant remember!) - it freaked me out quite a bit!! Been reading Dean Karnazes' book recently - i am so jealous of that man being able to eat everything while he runs! i struggle digesting a jellybaby!!

Now got the day off work on Sept the 1st! I'm guessing the entry opens at 0001 south african time, so 11pm our time on the 30th??

• Carmen - I've got a copy of Prof. Tim Noakes' Lore of Running. I must have either skipped that bit or got myself selective amnesia (as I've only got under 3:45 once in my life!).

Yes, must mark my diary to say enter on 11pm on 31 August...
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Do you guys really think it is going to fill up that quickly? This year where they allowed previous runners to enter before newbies, the previous runners section was open for weeks and weeks?
  • Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

Hey Keith

I'm sure last year it filled in a few days -- so yeah, doubt it'll go in the first few hours, but now i've decided i want to do it, I don't want to miss out! I've already bought my Lonely Planet South Africa book too - so i've invested in the trip!!!

Must start saving...

Slow Duck - think his comment must be in the ultra bit at the back! But if you look at the actual Comrades training regimes, they even say the plan is to get you doing a 330 marathon before the actual race...I'm just not sure I could improve by 45 minutes in less than a year!!!

• Keith, I think it should be ok for a few days at least but I'm a belts and braces man so I'll get my entry in ASAP. image

Carmen - must definitely be selective amnesia on my part! By the way if you're around the 4 hour mark for a marathon, pacing wise you should be fine.

For the two Comrades I ran when the cut-off was 11 hours, my best marathon times leading up to them were 4:27 and 4:30 (worst were 4:59 and 4:57) - and I managed to finish (albeit just) inside the cut-off. (10;52 and 10:56)
  • I wont be taking any risks, so I'll be trying to enter 1st thing on the Wednesday morning. Once in I'll be booking flights and accommodation straight away, so that I'm fully committed.

• I've already bought my Lonely Planet South Africa book too - so i've invested in the trip!!! -Lol Carmen. I'm getting one this week too!

I do agree though. I'll be entering as early as I can. In fact have just reserved  some accommodation. I've been on nights for last couple of days so have had loads of time to search all the sites and reviews. As I'll be with gf and we're staying for 9 days after/car hire/reserves budget needs to be stretched so I opted for a hostel aimed at "mature" traveller. 10% deposit has secured a private room. If I lose it for any reason, then it's no great shakes. 

Didn't fancy £900 at the Hilton nor the Beach from reviews. Will  book a nice one as a surprise before we fly back image

• There's less entries this year too so I'll be entering as soon as it opens... just hope the site doesn't crash with everyone having the same idea!

• well i done london this year in 5:36 and started at the back of the comrades a month later and finished in 11: 50. this  is a very long race and i would take your time and dont burn yourselfs out and get your walk brakes in as this uses diffrent muscles

theres other factors that depends on diffrent times , ie your weight, injuries, how u feel on the day , hydrated, eating and drinking properly , and avoid taking pain killers

i was glad that my last yrs comrades qualified me for this yr , as i ran badly in london but being at the back taught me how to pace this race nice and slow just keep moving forward , i soon passed loads that were burnt out , but we all have bad days and learn from them to become better runners

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

I aim to get my entry in as soon as possible as well, looks like we will all be crashing the siteimage

I have just started to play around with my running plan for comrades and boy there are some big numbers in there!! Whats the best approach for running at the weekends? Most of the bits i have read suggest doing two long runs on the saturday and the sunday. I am currently thinking about doing a long run on one day upto say 30 miles and then 10 or so on the next day? Does that sound like a sensible option or would it be wise to go further? I do have the connemara ultra booked in during April so that will get me to 40. Any advice from you comrades geniuses greatly appreciatedimage

• im 42 this year ,  it depends on what time you want to finish, the best advice is to train for a normal marathon,

my training is  tue= 8 miles, thu= 8 miles , sun= 13 miles . this year im planning on running lots of steady inclines, plus im hopeing to do train different this year with lots of swiming and also circuits to build up my core im also put my name down for the snowdonia marathon , 3 halfs to build up for that = chippenham , swindon , cardiff,

• marty... back to back long runs at the weekend worked for me. One of the long runs was shorter than the other though, the important thing is getting used to running on tired legs

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Looks like the Brits will crash the site on day one!

Last year they had two openings. The one for existing Comrades was open for weeks and weeks (think it was about 8) before filling up. The one for novices closed in 2 days or sobut had many fewer places Think it need sto be remembers that while there are 2,000 fewer places this year than last, 2010 and 2000 are the only two years that have had that sort of entry. Every other year I think had far far fewer entrants....

Part of this 1st September effort is to create a panic/rush to try and replicate this years successful Comrades.

Doesnt of course mean that if I enter I wont be logging on first thing on teh 1st!

Marty

The program I followed this year had a medium long run on the Saturday (c10-14 miles) followed by a long run on the sunday which I ended maxing out at marathon distance in about 4 hours nice and steady. The Comrades coach advised the need to do two longer runs the final one about 6 weeks before. Wouldnt personally look to do 30 week in week out as think thats too much.

Think the general advice is also to do the longest of the two runs on the second day so you get used to running long on tired legs.

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Christopher - i am running chippenham and when i pay my money swindon tooimage Might see you there...

Thanks for the advice trinity. Thought that might be the reason. Plus the fact that you can mentally get out the door on the seond day to run i guess prepares you as well....

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Keith - cheers for that. What i was trying to say (but badly) was to gradually raise the long run upto perhaps a maximum of 30 miles. I think if i did 30 miles each week i would basically be good for nothing elseimage
  • Definitely back-to-back runs at the weekend.  I tend to do a short hard workout on the Saturday - then a long run on Sunday.  Fully agree with Trinity and Keith that the point is to learn to run on tired legs on the Sunday.
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Marty

Sorry misunderstood. But I was surprised by being able to run a marathon 8 out of 10 weeks in a row in training...it builds up nicely

Keith

• Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

Slow Duck - you've made me feel a whole lot better!

Odean - you're staying in what sounds like the sort of accomodation i'm aiming for! May see you there! I'm hoping to stretch out a 3 week trip..

When you all planning to start proper Comrades training? thought it didnt really start til Dec/Jan? I'm just trying to get thru Berlin, then 'may' try for Doten of the Downs and then try and find some hills somewhere!

Any suggestions for good hills routes within drive of SW London Balham/Tooting??

17 days!!

• I'm planning on a Marathon paced run of 10 - 13 miles on a sat, followed by a longer 20+ miler on a Sunday at Comrades pace. (During the peak months of March/April)

Will probably train for a marathon in December to get my starting pen for Comrades, recover for the rest of the month and then start my Comrades training in January.

• Thanks for pointing out the time difference. I would have logged on about 12 hours too late.

Phew. What hostel for mature visitor did you book with? If I dont take girls that would suite me very well if I dont get sorted with the bush thingy mentioned earlier. I am going to start training after my october marathon. HOpe thats not leaving it too late.

Must look up that comarades plan. I like to have them photocopied and study them before I go to sleep .

Carmen are you goign alone?

• Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

Hey Fizzio

Yep, be on my ownsome lonesome!! Should we used to it, generally travel to all my runs myself! Friend /sister may come down after - I've told them there's no point coming before as I'll be no company! I like to be my own boss before a big run and not have to feel under pressure to sightsee/ stay out late! I'm such a bore! After, if i survive, the true scot in me shall resurface!

Did 16 (very slow) miles round Richmond in the rain today - desperately need to get some speed!!

• I will probably travel alone too, so if you fancy travelling/sharing with no obligatioins to bond or share toothpaste or anything , Im your girl. What part of scotland are you from?
  • Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

Hey Fizz! Thanks! I'm prob going to just book a cheap n cheerful hostel in an ok bit of durban - I'm super cheap when i travel, so depends on how low level your needs are! I'm from near glasgow but live in london so would be travelling from here - where are you? noty sure when to head down there yet...may aim to land on the Thurs...kind of seems silly to super plan, but if i get in on Sep -1, i think i'll just go agead and book everything! how long u planning on staying there? be great to know someone!!