Comrades (South Africa) 56 miles

Comments

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Ash cloud has gone!!!

Must finish packing and get a flight i guess image

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Good news re the ash cloud. We should all be good to go now. Just waiting around until i leave to get the bus to the airport later. I hate this hanging around thing not really doing a lot.

Safe trip to everyone. With all the training that has been done from us all i am sure we will all get what we want. Although i still get butterflys when i think about sunday. But in a good wayimage

• Options

Packed and flying out tonight. 

If I don't meet any of you before, then I will see you in Pietermaritzburg!

• Options

Thanks Warren, I'll be bringing my breakfast with me, just needed a toaster to warm it up. image

I'm running home from work at lunchtime, doing the last of my packing and then heading off to the airport. Can't belive 9 months of preperation is finally over.

I've had a sore throat, earache and blocked sinuses for the last few days, but I'm staying positive and putting it down to taper madness. Hoping the Durban sunshine will get me feeling A1 for the big day.

Good luck to everyone if I don't meet you before the big day.

• Options

Just done my last run, or as I prefer to say, last run pre-Comrades image. Fate willing, I will be on a flight out of Amsterdam in 6 hours, anf then LHR later this eve. God, I have dreamt of this moment for months and now it is here it barely feels real!

See you all in Durban, safe travels and hope all those last minutes niggles etc clear up before Sunday.

Got a last minute things to clear up at work and then, YYYaaahhhh, ...............I'm off too!

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    @ Gatwick.. c u all in Durbs guys!
  • Options
    GOOD LUCK FIDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

Hope you all make it here without any more ash problems. I'm so glad I came over early.
    Lovely running weather here today, misty drizzle and about 18 degrees, doubt it will stay though. I will be heading to the Hilton romorow evening, so see some of you there.

• Options

Safe travels everyone......this being written from a very wet and miserable Durban

Sam and I flew in a couple of days early (got in a couple of hours ago) as we had a small panic about the ash cloud and not getting on a flight so changed the plans at great pains and not inconsiderable cost....looks like we needn't have worried........GRRRRRR.....ho hum, at least we get an extra couple of days before the race to relax and maybe catch up at the expo/on the bus tour

We are in the Hilton if anyone wants to get in touch and plan to go to the expo tomorrow and see if we can get tickets for the tour and possibly pasta party as well (did not expect to be here for either and just had a fairly average meal at the hotel so happy to change our Friday night plans if a better option......

As an aside.........WOOHOO!!!!!!.......I got a 2013 MDS place today!!!!! (Clive)

Sam: yes and now I will have to listen to him going on about it for the next 2 years...at least he won't be complaining when I want to do some races next year. (I am pleased for him really cos I know he's wanted to do it for a while).

Probably check in again to see if anyone's posted tomorrow.

• Options
    Just dropping by from the Paris thread to wish you all luck, and especially to Fizz. Courage mes amis!
  • Options
    Good luck Fizz,dig deep at the end you can do it.Enjoy Durbs its a lovely city.
    Dave.
  • Options
    ComradeComrade ✭✭✭
    .....(Lurk)......Good luck to all of you, enjoy the experience!
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Here in Durbs now and driving the route today!  Hoping that the wind dies down before Sunday; forecast seems to imply that it will .. so fingers crossed

Good luck everyone ..

• Options
    FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Best of luck folks. Managed to meet up with a few of you .

See you in Joe Cools if not en route To PMaritzburg.

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭
    Long term lurker here...........................wonder how it's going. Hope someone over there has access to interweb to update the thread, without waiting for everyone to get back to UK.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    NameCowiesDrummondCamperdownPolly ShorttsFinishDouglas Mactaggart (12015)01:47:3904:49:0207:09:5809:43:5810:45:12Elizabeth Wild (12801)02:05:1505:24:1507:41:0610:18:5511:20:30Hideo Takano (9436)01:52:3704:47:0506:57:3409:23:0710:12:50Johan Gouws (31637)01:33:0603:59:1705:46:0807:47:2308:37:38Keith Luxon (21191)01:38:0204:04:5206:00:2108:05:2008:53:26Martin Croucher (20885)01:46:2404:38:2006:43:5109:01:0609:53:55Peter Russell (47902)01:42:1504:14:3906:08:3808:11:3808:55:11Samantha Nottage (14013)02:13:2705:42:2008:06:2410:42:1411:41:08Trinity Booth (49613)01:36:3404:13:4606:05:5408:07:5008:50:17Warren Kidgell (45023)01:44:28    
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

sorry that didnt copy that well

• Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Hope it work this time ................. image

Douglas (12015)                   10:45:12Slotwin    (12801)                 11:20:30Slow Duck (9436)                 10:12:50Sportaloo (31637)                 08:37:38Keith (21191)                         08:53:26Marty74 (20885)                     09:53:55Peter l (47902)                        08:55:11Sam and Clive                         11:41:08Trin (49613                             08:50:17WarrenK (45023)                    DNF?Carmen (12287)                      10:45:12SueW (12863)                         10:54:16
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Douglas (12015)                   10:45:12
    Slotwin    (12801)                 11:20:30
    Slow Duck (9436)                 10:12:50
    Sportaloo (31637)                 08:37:38
    Keith (21191)                         08:53:26
    Marty74 (20885)                     09:53:55
    Peter l (47902)                        08:55:11
    Sam and Clive                         11:41:08
    Trin (49613                             08:50:17
    WarrenK (45023)                    DNF?
    Carmen (12287)                      10:45:12
    SueW (12863)                         10:54:16

If that doesnt work I give up .. link is  <a href="http://results.comrades.com/Tracker.aspx?RaceId=91&EventId=1" title="http://results.comrades.com/Tracker.aspx?RaceId=91&EventId=1">http://results.comrades.com/Tracker.aspx?RaceId=91&EventId=1</a>

• Options

Absolute heartbreak for me. 4pm yesterday I came down with a severe stomach virus. Spent the night vomiting and on the loo. Shouldn't have even started but I had to just to see if there was any hope of making it. I knew the answer after about 5km but decided I had to struggle on to Hillcrest where my wife was waiting for me as I did not want to get into a vulture bus (aka runners rescue bus).

Had to stop to vomit going down Cowies Hill, was flat on my back for about 5 mins before getting up to carry on towards Hillcrest. Stopped to vomit again in Pinetown. My legs felt fine but every step of the way made me feel sick.

So a whole year to wait to rectify things but it has made me even more determined to get my silver next year.

Congrats to the rest of you though on some smashing results. Trin and Sportaloo, well done on getting those well deserved BRs. Well done Keith on such a good time off such a small training base. You all deserve a good rest after months of hard work and a hard day's running.

• Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Warren ... really sorry to hear that; can understand if you are completely devastated!  you'll get that silver next year ...
  • Options

Warren - really sorry to hear that ....must have been heartbreaking for you

I saved all my throwing up for after the finish line (some of it five yards after!!!)....nice

Looks like everyone else has managed to get some pretty good times....congrats to all

Sam and I had a fun day in the sun and cruised home with 20 minutes to spare (ha de flippin ha)....not an easy day at all....my hamstring decided to bail out on me soon after Fields and I seriously thought I was going to bail....we were only slightly down on the 11 hour pace at halfway but the pain was absolutely immense and I had to slow things down......a strong painkiller and slower pace (and ignoring the sub 12 hour bus going past at Cato Ridge!!!!!!!!....far too fast) seemed to do the trick....reckon I probably slowed her down in the end

feeling good now though....

P.S we passed the 12 hour bus walking up Pollys.....the pacer was appalling and a number of the bus crew were complaining as we talked to them up Pollys as they reckoned he was too fast......at least he finished....the other sub-12 bus driver bailed right in front of us telling his crew he needed a break!!!!

• Options

A good haul of medals from the Runners World crew.  I finished in 10.36 to secure bronze.  That was an amazing experience.  It is the local supporters who really make the race special.  I have never seen or been to an event with that kind of local support.  I was also treated with considerable kindness by some of the local runners who took me under their wing and helped me out with various preparation and logistics aspects. 

• Options

Warren-I am very sorry to hear about your disappointment.

I ran a lot of the route yesterday with a local runner who had failed to complete last year because he had failed to make one of the cut offs.  This time he not only completed the race but managed to secure bronze. 

You can always come back next year. 

• Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Warren - Absolutely gutted to read this, if anyone was due a good run...
    Well done for going to the start and toughing it out for a while, that must have been extremely difficult. I am holding thumbs for next year.

Conratulations to everyone, I hope you had a really, really special experience and may well consider coming back for more.

I came down with flu on Thursday, fever sore throat and it steadily moved to my chest by Saturday. I had no idea whether to start or just give it a miss, but my sister and her husband made a 400 mile journey down on Sat and back on Sunday evening again. I did not have a great run but joined up with a friend at Catoridge who was going for silver but also got sick during the week and we made steady prgress. This race remains something else.

Well done to everyone.
  • Options

Warren - I feel so sorry for you. I was happy that you'd got over your flu and even thought that the few weeks off might of done you some good after the huge mileage you'd done in the build up. Then to get a stomach virus the day before!! NOoooooooo!!! So unfair.

I only hope that you build on your amazing training for this years run and come back next year and post a really sensational time.

• Options

I had a great time out in SA and can't believe that I'm already back at work, I'm very jealous of those of you that are still out there on holiday.

It was great to meet up with you all after the run and at the bar on Monday. It was great that everyone off the forum who I met after the race had achieved their target and that we were such a happy bunch. I can't believe I'm already thinking about doing it again, despite the pain and swearing never ever again!

• Options

My sentiments entirely Stevie, my man!

I had a much better experience than in 2010, which I hadn't considered feasible.

It was a damn pleasure to meet all of you forumites that I did encounter during my brief 48 hours in South Africa. You are all lovely, you rascals. I'm still buzzing big time (though am also delirious, it has to be said, in need of my first good night's sleep in a week and have to be up at 4am to drive to Ireland tomorrow).

Really sorry to hear of your rotten luck, Warren. I heard from the crew that you had put in shedloads of training and was bang on for a good time, so my hugest sympathies lie with you. Spank it next year, mate!

Safe onward travels and journeys home to y'all.

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Sorry you had such bad luck  Warren

Just really to echo a few of the comments above. A truly great race made even better by the support, encouragement and comradeship from the crew on here. It was a real pleasure to meet and run with you either in person or in spirit. Hopefully your journeys back are safe and the legs respond to some sensible rest.

Hard to name one truly special achievment from so many great ones but have to say well done to Stevie for being the first person running for Club England  home.