Comrades (South Africa) 56 miles

Comments

• Thanks for the kind words folks. All I can do now is look forward to next year. On the bright side, at least I won't had to take lots of time off to recover and I can aim for a good marathon effort soon.

As an aside, I am moving back to the UK in a few weeks time. Things in SA have been very unkind to my family (crime and financial reasons). Got offered a great job back in Canary Wharf so time to pack the bags again. Maybe I will be able to bump into some of you at races over there before coming back for Big C next year again.

• Well done everyone. Great achievement by all.
    Warren, really sorry to hear of your problems. That must have been such a tough decision.

Having done long runs in the UK and a 50 miler in 8.5 hours I though I was ready for this and that 10.30 maybe sub 10 was achievable. Boy, did it bite my bum! Completed in 11:18. Very happy as I did it. Ran with a great friend and we kept each other going through some dark periods. But, job done. Legs are not overly happy with me and was pleased that the SAA flight on Monday evening was quite so could spread out. Straight back in to the office and kept everyone amused with my hobbling around.

Have to say, it was a great event and the support of the locals was fantastic. Even more fantastic was our fellow runners who always had time for you. Take my hat off to everyone that was doing this and more so to those that were doing again, and again, and again... Don't think I will ever be in the green club let alone the green stripe club.

Only disappointment was the Pasta Party. Thought that was 220R rip off.

Onwards to the next moment of madness....once the legs recover.

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Warren - sorry to hear about your misfortune. Same happened to me prior to my 2005 run - I got it from my breakfast on Saturday morning... You will bounce back stronger and your training/motivation for next year will have an extra edge to it that only you'll appreciate...
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Swayer - don't get me started on the pasta party "entertainment"...
  • Back home (Denver, Colorado) and back to work (uuggh..4am conference call was first item on my calendar upon coming back). Enjoyed meeting a few of you and appreciate you allowing this non-UK runner to squat in your forum.

Warren, so sorry to hear of your struggles. In 2009 one of my Colorado running friends got pulled off during the final stretch into Kingsmead after just missing the cutoff. I know how gutted he was and he came back the next year to get his medal. Whether going for silver or just a finish, hardest part is the wait for next year.

This was my third race and my first real Rowan attempt. Goal was 8:59:59 and got pretty close to that..8:57:21. A bit too close! Last quarter of the race I thought no chance of a BR, but somehow it just barely came together.

Well done to everyone on many great efforts!
  • One word..FANTASTIC

Cannot wait to have a crack at the down hill next year.

Absolutely delighted with my 9.20 (and 58 seconds) time.

Well done all

• First things first - and at the risk of sounding repetitious - but Warren, OMG, I am SO SORRY for you. We were told in the International area, and we were all just shocked and sad for you. Your heartbreak hit home even more as we all met our pre-defined goals so were all happy happy larries (sorry Larry).

Indeed, absolutely LOVED the whole experience (PP entertainment excepted) - meeting all (most) of you guys, having a laugh (or plenty), experiencing a run and support that is just so difficult to adequately describe, and basically having a ball. I feel privelaged to have been part of something special, and nobody can take that away from any of us image.

Now back in Cloggyland and the mundanities of life have struck, but I can still dream (and I do hope so cos, like Mr 48 Hours, sleep deprivation is making me hallucinate).........

• Was great to meet you all at the bar on Monday.  Better entertainment than the pasta party!

But a great trip all round.

Have now got post ultra depression tho...

• I'm still on a post race high and so want to go back and do it again. Can't next year, but maybe 2013.

I'm still limping at the moment, but I can at least get up and down stairs now. I'm looking forward to listening to Marathon Talk tonight, to see how they got on.

Once again great to meet you all and I hope those of you still in SA have a great holiday.

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    For anyone who is not a regular listener this weeks episode of Marathon Talk is well worth downloading - brought back loads of memories.
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

btw Warren, so sorry to hear of your misfortune. I would gladly have swapped places with you  - it seems very unfair that it happened to you, of all people. If I'd got the lurgie I'd still have got a story to dine out on (and the tshirt, if not the medal) and I would still have had the fun of all the training.

Pity there's not many UK road ultras - come back L2B...

Still v.v. tired & washed out. But got my name in the local paper (or on the website) tho' (as a footnote to a completely different athletics story) as one of my clubmates from my local club (I'm guessing) sent it in. Fame at last image

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Hope you're all recovering well. Been down with some serious man flu since Wednesday...
  • God I'm bored now, I've even watched some television this week. I agree Keith, the marathontalk podcast was good. I'm almost not limping today, but my calves are still really sore. I think it will be at least another week before I can even venture out for an easy jog.

If anyones interested I've written a race report. I warn you though it's very long, although a lot of it is for people who have never heard of the race, so it can be skimmed over.

http://doddsierunscomrades.wordpress.com/

• Speedy, I've got a serious cold (assume cos of depleted immune system combined with long plane travel) - I presume it is the same as your man flu image.

Fido: I too am beyond tired. Possibly cos of above cold. Fortunately there are public hols in NL yesterday and today so great excuse to fall asleep outside and get sunburn. BtW: good luck with the packing for tomorrow. I haven't yet faced that trauma, but it is creeping up on me ever closer.

Stevie: I am with you, still limping and unlikely to be running soon. Went to Drs this morning just to ensure that my shin splints were indeed splints and not a stress fracture. Was sent straight to hospital for x-ray which confirmed my belief. So, good news but still hobbling due to them and blisters on other foot. (other muscles surprisingly OK, evidently wasn't working hard enough)!.Will read your race report.

Anyone got link to marathon talk? Will I be able to download it here (can't download loads of BBC stuff...Carmen: your next job is to address this. All the expats who pay their licence fees in UK but rarely watch the TV there. Then can't access stuff online as blocked...).

• Stevie Michael,

First off, tremendous race! What a great time and very well run.

Enjoyed your write up. I didn't know about that YouTube video showing the 9hr cutoff. I passed that guy in the final stretch (I was 8:57:21) and heard the commotion in the background but hadn't seen it until now..thanks!
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Slotwin - if only you had slacked as much as me your muscles would all be fine....

SlowDuck - not suprised, you looked hilariously bad last I saw you. 

photies http://picasaweb.google.com/Fido2Dogs/SouthAfrica2011

Feels v. odd not to have packed my running gear!

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Fantastic writeup SM. Wish I had your way with words!
  • Wow Stevie, brilliant recollection and total respect. When Keith said honourable mention to Stevie for bringing home Club England, I thought he meant us lot, not actually Team GB (elites excluded). FANTASTIC performance and for a novice. I venture to say there is more in you yet, keep it up!

Thanks Speedy for link. It worked. I listened to it whilst viewing Fido's pictures and brought back loads of memories. Thanks both. Hope you are feeling better Speedy, and safe travels Fido.

• My parents say that if I run Comrades next year they will take a holiday in South Africa to watch me!

I am looking forward to going back to work at the school and telling the kids all about my run.  I have made a collage of South African rand notes to show them, and of course put together a presentation about the race. 

More importantly, I think the school trip will go ahead now!

• Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    HELLO EVERYONE FROM GORGEOUS SA!!

Lovely to meet many of you - luckily i'm still down here mooching around so havent had any post run comedown or bugs! legs were sore-ish for about 3/4 days but fine now - done tonnes of walking and horse riding!

Warren - i echo everyone's words - that's just devastating and the crappiest timing. i'm so sorry, but have major respect for you managing to even start never mind to a fair distance while that ill.

Slot - come work for the bbc then you can access everything from wherever you are in the world image

Ben - brill news about ur school trip - hope they enjoy your tales!

sam & clive - i can't find u on facebook!! look for me instead - jeane mccallum - pic (as of june 4th) is of me and a lamb

So, when does the 2012 forum begin?!

• hello all

Congrats to everyone, Warren feel for you

2012 Well maybe 2013 I will be there

• Just got back to the UK and still on a high one week later. I managed to earn a Bronze in 10.23. Absolutely brilliant race with such good support from other runners and spectators. Wearing a small Aussie flag on the front of m shirt really helped. I got the Aussie Aussie Aussie chant almost the whole way around. I'm already thinking a Bill Rowan is a possibility with less milage but a lot more hills in training.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Well done Rodney!
  • FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Great to meet up with you all eventually in Zacks.

Am gutted for you Warren. I guess the bright side is that  being local , you dont have a huge outlay to face , to do it again next year.  Take it easy on yourself next time during taper and stay away from the bugs.image

I wrote  a race report on the plane on the way back as my tv wouldnt work! So , it is really long and probably way too much infomation for the general public but I havent had time to slash it down yet. My computer came back from repairs and has new software on it . I cant get the report to open so wont be able to link it up until I get that sorted.

Didnt we rock. Brilliant performances folks. Well done us .

• I'm tempted to have a go at this next year but will be realistically be hoping just to finish within 12 hours rather than aiming for anything like 7 hours!

It push comes to shove, I will crawl across that finish line unlike that poor man who collapsed 20m from the end in the video from an earlier post.

• So a whole weeks gone by already....who's up for next year?

Obviously got to wangle some child care and doubt we'll be doing the lovely stopover in Dubai on the way back, but got to admit I'm seriously up for the 'down' next year...if that makes sense.

Stevie Michael...awesome report, you tube videos excellent. Had read about the 9hr man and the 12 hour finish (from where I was I couldn't see the man who struggled against the advertising boards and didn't make it)...two examples of the highs and lows of Comrades.

Scott S. cannot recommend it enough - first time and absolutely loved it...don't get me wrong, it's tough and I'm not quick by any means (finished before cutoff and ecstatic with that). If you do go with it...keep coming on here and you'll learn loads of stuff from great people who've done it many times before.

2012 Comrades thread anyone?

• I think that every British first time Comrades runner I spoke to was thinking about coming back for the down run in 2012!
  • SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Stevie - Fantastci run and report, well done!

Samantha - Yes we need a 2012 thread.

I never made it to the meet up at the expo as I got ill on the Thursday and felt really crap, sorry about that guys.