Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

Pleaseee inspire me make me feel I am not the only one getting up early to run !! I know is the best time for me - doesn't affect other family arrangements/commitments & know that if I leave it to the end of the day something will come up so that I will not be able to make my run but sometimes its just so hard to get out of bed in the morning !!!
Tagged:

Comments

• CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭

At 05.30 this morning I was beginning my 8 miler - which was bloody good going as at 01.30 I was just getting back from the Tynedale Rugby Club Beer Festival.

I always get out early in the Summer months - but can't for the life of me run early mornings in the Winter 

• I get up 4.15 and go out at 4.30. When I get up, I normally have a cuppa tea and
    just get my body going. But when I go out, the world is dead. No cars, no people.
    I live near to a country park which during the day is full of dogs and dimwits.
    But early morning, the park is closed and I can run. Brilliant right now with the
    extra daylight but its crap when its winter.

It can be hard getting out of bed, but if you want to run, then you have to force yourself out.

• Yup up at 5.30am most mornings for a run. Nice in the summer not so nice in the winter.

But it get the day off to a good start.image

• I go early some mornings - the trick is to only jump up and go - by the time you wake up the first mile is done!!
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Me!!

When I was training for the marathon I was getting up at 5am for a 10 miler. It really is a different world out there and love it.

At the moment I'm just maintaining fitness so make sure I'm out the door by 6am but will get up earlier when I want to up my mileage.

I really don't see how people can run after work. After the 9-5 I just want to chill out.

• I was out at 6am this morning - beautiful way to start the day image

• Would love to run early moning but some of us commute to London which means getting up at 5am for work anyway letting alone get up earlier for a run.

I have to do mine when I get home at 7pm.  As you say it can be difficult and only take a delay getting away at work or the trains to find the evening is ruined and no run.

• I don't but I am beginning to think that since I tend to wake up 5 or before at the moment maybe I should give it a go - especially as running is the last discipline I ever get round to timetabling in - I find lots of other stuff far more interesting
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Up at 5:30 this morning to drive partway to work and then started to run the rest at 6:30.

The only problem I have is spending the first couple of miles trying to remember if I locked the car.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I'm with Becky - I get up at 4:20 to get  a train at 5:00 (into London) but do try to run early (5:30-6am) at the weekend. For me the best time of the day, especially in summer.
    I do sometimes get off the train on the way in at the stop before and run along the Southbank at 6am, very peaceful at that time of day.
    Otherwise I run luchtimes along a clogged Embankment as I'm usually too whacked by the time I get home at 7...
  • Mornings work for me too   I'm usually up for 6am, which seems almost lazy compared to Dustin's & Becky's early starts.  image

I work flexi-time, so I've found that getting up at 6-6.30am every working day, sets my Body Clock, making it more of a routine, rather than a shock to the system. The alarm goes off & it's either a run or early start to work. 

For every cold/wet morning that I doubt my sanity, there will be another when I see a lovely sunrise etc.

Plus, once I'm home & showered, the smug factor is worth it's weight in gold!

• I must be wierd then if you lot are normal. I tend to go out late at night. Latest I've been out for a run is 10.30pm.
  • Can't get out after  3pm when off-spring at home, so all my runs, summer and winter done early - I have to be out of the door by 05 30, but luckily I'm an early morning person anyhowimage.  Great, no-one around, in the summer, nice and cool, just have to change the routes in the winter so that I'm sticking to well-lit areas as we're semi-rural and out of the village, street lights and pavements disappear.

Lots more wildlife around too, only downfall  - got hit by low-flying pheasant last autumn - not sure which was more alarmed by the incidentimage.

• great feedback from everybody -

Dustin & Becky you make me realise how lucky I am to be able to run early mornings

It is the best part of the day - the best early run I have done is an 8 miler which takes me along the coast over looking the sea beautiful at 5.30 in the morning -

I agree -  think the thing is to get straight out of bed & out straight away strong cup of coffee & OUT -  of course the other debate is should we be going out on an empty stomach ???

I always go out on an empty stomach and have never encountered any problems running up to and including 22 miles.  Even when I run mid-day I don't run until 3 hours have elapsed since my last meal. Oherwise I feel pukey.

I don't take water out unless I'm going over 16 miles

• The thing with early morning runs though is that effectively you will have last eaten say about 10 hours ago if you go at 5 am

True Christy - but I'd argue that this doesn't matter.  Unless you're going to be very active between 17.00PM (Or in My case 19.30PM) and 05.30AM when you leave your pit behind, any energy you will have metabolised after your last meal will still be available to draw upon.  I normally glug a pint of pure orange juice and water (Half and half and a pinch of salt) before I go out (Any more and I'll have to stop for a slash)

A sports nutritionist would probably throw their hands up in despair and tell me I'm wrong BTW, - but I rarely, if ever experience energy lags during long runs - I don't do jells because they taste like shite and make me feel really ill.

• mmm  Corinthian night time activities aside I take your point and as my aim is to loose weight then I will stick with my strong coffee cause I'm with you too much liquid is no good on a run!!

• 5:40 five mornings a week for pool or run plus a couple of evening runs at the weekend.

morning runs on empty stomach but i do now bring water on 8 miles or more.

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭
    Many times, i love getting up when it's all fresh and no ones around, seem to have calmer runs this time of day. Have been known to get up and get swimming at this time as well but seeing as I'm not the only one with that idea it does tend to get busy in the pool believe it or not.
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I don't eat either before an early morning but then don't eat before any run as I get stitches too easily.

I agree, what you eat for dinner the night before should see you through. I do try to keep myself hydrated through the night though & and also keep a Lucozade next to the bed if I'm planning a longer run.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

getting up at 4am and getting a 5am train to London!? What is it, a 2-3hour commute then?! There's got to be a time where you've completely exceeded the work life balance, and I think 4-6hours of commuting must smash through that point!!

I live a couple of miles from work and still struggle to run mornings. I find lunch and evenings suit, as long as the evening run is done straight away when home, say, 5:30.

Having said this I often get up at 6am on a sunday to get out and run up to 16miles at 7am!

Now that feels like commitment!

• I need to be back in the house by 7am for when the kids wake up so itdepends on how far I need to run as to when I get up.
    For long runs I might have a banana depending on how I feel, but usually I just eat well the night before.Sometimes I have a coffee if I'm feeling a bit sluggish but usually juice or squash.
    I find running in the evening a lot harder work than running in the morning. Probably something to do with me having eaten a donner kebab and smoked 10 fags. image
  • My body seems to work to a fairly simple rule of decreasing physical activity as the day wears on.  I get up at 5:00 for a 5:30 run which is brill this time of year, yeah it sucks in the winter, but I tend to use my treadmill then, as there are no street lights or pavement where i am, so it's not too bad.  gradually through the day I do less and less until finally its bed time .  I've tried running later in the day, but i can't seem to get it together the same as I can in the morning.

• I run between 5:30- 7 now but used to run 3 am when did some work for a bakery-now that's stupid o'clockimage
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    3am? What's that?
  • middle of bliddy night K8image
  • Like Corinithian, I have to leave at least 3 hrs between eating and running otherwise it's image.

So, early morning start for me, I never eat or drink beforehand as I can't - I've got used to it and doing it that way suits me.  Weekdays,  I have to be back by 6.30am, so work my schedule accordingly.  Sundays, I'm always out at 6.30am, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get back in time, so at least I get an extra hour lie-in image.

• I do find evening runs a lot harder to fit in there always seems to be so many distractions & people demanding your time -after my morning run I normally get back in the house about 7 by which time husband has made breakfast for the kids & he leaves for work about 7.30.  The morning has to be timed precisely & can be pretty hectic  but I always feel much better during  the day knowing that I have done my run I couldnt do it without hubbys help - am usually knackered at end of the day though & boy can I sleep I am normally in bed by 9.30 !!!

OMG just painted a great picture of what my hubby has to put up with!!