Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

Comments

• WOW now 3 am is STUPID O CLOCK !!
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

I'm another member of the 5:30am club...

However, I have done a couple of evening, (after work - 6pm) runs recently and really noticed the traffic, dog-walkers, chavs, noise, heat etc...

MUCH prefer the morning sessions for all the reasons given by others!

I'm normally heading for bed around 9pm though... Unless it's the weekend when I'll probably have a snooze in the afternoon to recharge my batteries image

• Frosty, sunny mornings are the best.
  • Christie, 9.30pm. That's a late night for me.;-)
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Mikey - I'm the same, the further on in the day the less my body wants to do. Best to get the most physical thing sorted early then I can slump at my desk for the rest of the day.
  • In my house, I tend to fall asleep on the sofa in the evening to be woken by the off-spring "Time for bed, Mum"image
  • Up at 4 and out the door by 4:30 to work. Easy image
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    What time do you finish work though Postie?!
  • Trouble is working in London the poor work life balance is normal here.  You don';t realise it is unusual.

Door to door, the commute is 1hr .40mins.  Get in office for 7.30am in order that I can make sure I get out the door at 5pm otherwise there is no evening left.

Being a girl I hate running lunchtimes as it is so much faff getting changed, showered, hair and make-up so thats not an option.  I am not one of those lucky women who just end up midely glowing.  me, I'm a drowed rat.

Rather run in the evening and have treadmill at home so I can jump straight on that while hubby cooks tea.  Not ideal but better than nothing.

• Hi Becky Boo I agree the whole girly thing is a pain - I too am a drowned rat after a run-  there is no getting away without the full shower & hair washed blow dryed make up etc so that adds to the time needed for run - I should be grateful that I can get up early to run & not have to get up at that hour just to go to work i dont envy you it must be really hard to fit runs into your lifestyle.
  • GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

5.30am is a great time to be out at this time of year, one or two other runners occasionaly about, a few early birds out walking the dog, every body seems friendly at that time. There is usually a heron or two and if I'm very lucky a deer. I get back just as the family are getting up and it really sets me up for the day.  What I really like at this time of year is that the 2nd half of my run I get the first warmth of sun of the day, with no one around it feels like it's all mine.

Garbage in winter when it's lashing down and windy or -5°C though.

• ness3ness3 ✭✭✭
    Another vote for early morning running. Usually get up some time between 5 and half past. Lovely in the summer. Not so good in the winter. some of the lanes I run along have no street lights so I have to use a head torch.
  • Morning running is great and I usually go to bed rather late so it can still be done. I sometimes set off for long run at 4.30-5.00, leave my husband a detailed copy of my route and head off to the downs or ridgeway to run before anybody is even up. I somehow am never scared to run through the middle of nowhere so early, there just seems no one about.

• bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭

That's the only problem about being a woman, or should I say being married to the man I am - I tell hubby my route, but he gets really worked up about me setting out really early, just in case there's any nutters around. By the time I set off on Sunday 7 - 7.30 for my LSR with a fair bit of the route on the canal, there's a few fishermen,cyclists & the occasional other runner. Suppose they could still mug me though! If I went out earlier, then there'd be no-one around to duff me in, but he frets.

Stu - didn't you ever get stopped by coppers thinking you were a burglar when you were out at 3am?!

• I'm a member of the 5am club  image Love it, get out, no cars, very few people out and it's just me and the Hampshire countryside.

• Well, that makes two of us enjoying the Hampshire countryside, Stephen image.
  • What's even more mad than my stupid commute is apart from running 3 times a week I also train for Triathlons by trying fit in 2 swims a week plus a long bike ride.

I have one tri race booked in every month for 6 months from April to September so I can't slacken off.
  • I generally finish between 2:30 and 3:00 except Saturdays.
    Run either 5 or 8 miles followed by 7 walking on the job.
  • 5am club.I got into the habit of going out at this time, as I used to start work at 7am. Now sart at 8am, but still up and out at 5am. Now often start the Daily Thread !
  • I dont often get out as early as 5 but usually up and at 'em around 6am these days. My shifts are different across the week but I usually start between 8 and 11 am. Day off tomorrow but will be going on a medium long run at 6:30 so as to squeeze the best out of the rest of the day!

It is gorgeous running with no one around. Had to do an afterwork 3 miler today and the normally tranquil park was full of 'youths'. The cheek image

• Nobody makes demands on me that early.

Sometimes I see deer when I'm out, as we live just a few minutes away from the countryside. I'm a morning person fortunately, like my old man.

• http://gallery.me.com/chrisoco2307#100048

Some photos I took at 5am on a run a couple of weeks ago.
  • Never realised to many RWers were out so early !
  • Chris Oco - OH WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic photos!!!!!

Early morning thumbs up here as well. Used to head out for a run 5:30 - 6:00 am all winter, looked forward to light warm summer mornings and somehow when it get to that... stopped running in the mornings. (Too many things going on)

Slowly getting back to mornings again now and I love it, especially the part where you spot the wildlife.

4 Rabbits on a tuesday image

• Alos running in the fresh snow first in winter after an overnight snow fall. I'm like a big kid image
  • CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭
    Brilliant pics Chris... really beautiful!
  • Christie - I love early morning runs much easier than night times, find myself these days such as this morning waking up b4 the alarm on days not scheduled 4 run so now have running stuff always ready just incase. Christie - u sound familiar r u from tyne and wear area?
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    The trouble with getting up early during the week if your body clock adjusts itself to wake you up early at the weekends!

Been awake since 5.30 & given up trying to get back to sleep.
  • Out of bed at 4.45am and on the road at 5.10am.

Normally do between 5 to 8 miles.

I have tried running after work about 6.00pm but it is not the sam, I find it harder to get out the house after work.

• I've always been a morning person so another 5:30 runner here I'm dead after 8pm so evenings are a non starter. Have to have a coffee first then out the door. Best time of the day. Usually see a couple of other runners including crossing paths with my daughter who goes out even earlier than I do.

Beautiful photos Chris - what camera do you use?