Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

Comments

• darn!

sorry again folks- my message pasted above twice! im not an idiot, i just dont know why this happens...sorry!

kate.... the long run is early but definitely not as early as through the week! a little lie in me thinks! but yes it'll be all round london, mostly near thames along towards tower bridge and back. lovely image

x

• Good luck for Sunday KateF

ha ha a mouse as a running partnerimage 

Hope the legs get a little looser birky.

Well I just about managed 40 miles in 7 day most I have run i one week since training for the Brighton Marathon.

Long run over the weekend so 40 + miles next week maybe, but I have a race next saturday  so may not do as many miles we shall see.

oh and Gemma I am a little mad as  you can see on Face Book imageimageimageimage

• tommy, youre not alone on the madness!imageimageimage 

brilliant tally for the week, have great one this weekend, ill let you know how my longy goes too.

mice make lovely running partners!

• Thanks Tommy, good running!
  • I've just entered the HellRunner on 28th Nov. Anyone else on here planning to give it a go?

I'd say it's tougher than the GRIM Challenge in terms of depth of mud/water and steepness of hills. But good fun all the same!

Good luck on Sunday, Kate.
  • Best of luck, Kate.

Gemma - I'm beginning to suspect you posess Dr Dolittle style powers?

I got very excited earlier this week & thought I'd be able to report that I'd spotted a seal on my morning run.  It was a log floating in the river.  Disappointed!image

• maybe a seal in log disguise????

darn youve got me! my surname isnt really carter but gemma dolittle.....image

i honestly dont know why i attract them! x

• Thanks Chris and Ickle Legs. Chris, I don't mind a bit of mud but seeking it is all a bit far, are you taking your dog to tow you through or maybe borrow Ickle Legs' seal?
  • That's a VERY good idea Kate!!! If there's one thing Jackson loves, it's mud!!!
  • My legs loosen up by about lunch time.

I'm usually stiff when I get u pfor anything from my office chair until then and that why I call these walks Douglas Bader (DB) walks !image

• Morning, been out for a Saturday morning 'stupid o clock' run.

Gema: you seem to attract lots of London wildlife. I'm impressed. Don't worry abput double post yesterday. I usually blame the computerimage

I'm a Civil Servant, we 'dolittle' by profession, allegedlyimage,  Mind you  just watch an episode of the classic bbc comedy 'Yes Minister' for confirmation as it is very close to real life.

Kate: All the best for your marathon. I can't remember if said that before !

• That above should read 'Gemma' not' Gema' and 'about' not 'abput'.image

Stupid computer, how did that happen ?image

• Every morning i get up 6.45 Kids ready for schoo; and one thing or another, saturday and sunday are my only chance of a lie in, what time was i up to do a five miler today 6am. i'm up earlier in a weekday if i have a run scheduled, cause i know that if i dont do it first thing thenit wont get done, but the smile especially this morning when i re enterd our stret and ran Rocky style down the centre was great.

I suppose the other thing is the early morning air is great the freedom and satisfaction is just a great feeling

• Well done Steve, welcome to our madness.image
  • 19.6 miles in 3hrs 3' this morning. Nice steady run -7 miles of which was along the Basingstoke canal and the rest on roads and pavements. Had some good music on the ipod to keep entertained... Royskopp, Pendulum, The XX, MIA, Led Zep, Stones, Arcade Fire, Golfrapp, Kasabian and The Middle East.
    Legs felt okay afterwards so a couple of recovery drinks and an ice bath and that's me sorted!!

Steve - I like the idea of the Rocky style running down the middle of the road!! Those films must have inspired so many people to get out and start training. This is a Rocky style training video I made last year...Gorilla Training
  • birkmyre..no worries about typo... silly computers!!!!! haha liking the civil servant comment/pun!

this morning wasnt silly oclock but about 8am. started with biking for 40 min to warm up round regents park laps then over to running club for training. steady 5/ 6 miler with club round hyde park and kensington. saw lots of bishops and security!!!! like 60/70 of them..hows that for wildlife watch???????image i guess its all for mr. popey and his gig at hyde!image

tomorrow i'll be taking after you chris and out early for 18/19 miler round thames river and general london route....take in the sights image........then, ice baths!!!!

• Like the video Chris, is that a tumble dryer in the background behind the weight bench, i've just loaded Biffy Clyro's last album onto my mp3 player, almost got a perfect 140 running songs on it at the moment, saturday and sunday mornings are the only days i would run down our street though
  • Although mentally harder to do, I think very early morning is the best time..  very few people around, no nutters in cars zooming past and shouting abuse, no traffic as such...   just wrap up warm and go..  love it!   A few days ago I was out running at 4am..  had the whole town to myself and a milkman..  it was fab!

• Albert, yeah 4am running is the best if you live in a city, no traffic, no people to bump into...youre right all to yourself!...and the odd early bird too!

hope to see you more on the forum with the rest of us nutty bunchimage

• Steve - yes you're right, it's a tumble dryer!!
  • Chris - did those walkers in the video think they'd stumbled in on another strange Farnham film set?
  • Well they didn't seem too concerned, so my Ape costume can't have been totally convincing!!!
  • Chris - that Gorilla costume was quite scary.  Great video!

Gemma - I think Mr Popey's Mates definately qualify for bonus points on Critter Watch image

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/315052/Gallery/IMG00164-20100919-0828.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/315052/Gallery/IMG00171-20100919-0835.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/315052/Gallery/IMG00174-20100919-0839.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/315052/Gallery/IMG00175-20100919-0842.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/315052/Gallery/IMG00176-20100919-0842.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/315052/Gallery/IMG00177-20100919-0842.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/315052/Gallery/IMG00178-20100919-0858.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/315052/Gallery/IMG00179-20100919-0859.jpg

ickle legs-woohoo!!! bonus points for me! yes, there were lots of them...yikes!

did my 17.5 miler this morning! yippeeeeee! i actually managed to attach photos for once!(the computer is playing ball!)image lovely route from hyde to chelsea, battersea park, back up to whitehall, vauxhall bridge, south london, tate, city of london, westminster, green park, st james, and then hyde again. managed to see the popes helicopter flying over head....i think he's following me...

now icing knees and relaxing at home image

think might give silly oclock tomorrow a miss...resty resty image

• Nice photos Gemma. Did you have a cameraman following you on a motorbike or did you keep handing your camera to random members of the public and getting them to photograph you as you ran past??!!!
  • although i absolutely love talking to random people on my runs (or wildlife!image) today i had a cameraman with me...i think you might spot he tried to get in one of the pictures..

were some nice views of the river and city, not many tourists today as pretty chilly, not time of year now, which was good for me less dodgems!

hope the ice bath is chillyfun later, x

• I'm debating joining the madness of silly o'clock running - I work at a cafe & my earliest starts are 6:30am - which means getting up at half 5! Beginning to think that if I wake up half an hour earlier & cram in just a two mile run, it will a] make me feel like less of a zombie when I get to work (though I have mastered the art of waking up just before my train pulls into the station, but that's not really a skill, is it?) & b] defeat my afterwork laziness - now I'll actually be able to justify those nights on the sofa glued to Hollyoaks!

Does anybody else find it definitely helps to get it out of the way before long shifts too? (Mine are often 12hrs long) - does it make you feel more alert as oppose to falling asleep midway through the day?

• never had a 12 hour shift Alabama, but i know for DEFINITE that running in the morning gives me so much more energy and makes me able to get on with the day after, not to mention feeling great for having done a run.

best thing to do, try it, see if it works, then you can compare. good luck!

• I think it helps. In fact, if I miss a run for any reason I actually feel more tired and zombie-like at work than if I'd got up earlier and gone for a run!!
  • One of the problems is not so much the running, but avoiding waking your partner as you get up and get ready...   you might want to run but that doesn't mean your partner does too and probably won't be too pleased at being woken by a 4am alarm..!