Options

Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

Comments

• Options

emmy - the earliest I get up is 4, and the most I have managed to run is around 8 miles before needing to be home and getting ready for work. I am guessing that if I could run 10 miles in a little over an hour, then I would do 10 miles a day easily, but I doubt I will ever be that quick

craigerrs - I don't eat before running, a bowl of porridge afterwards (I make it in the microwave) and a shower.

• Options

CelticRunner - the Ashdown Forest is lovely.  Eat normally in your taper, maybe shift the balance to carbs not meat, and keep the vitimins going.  Fibre is said to be lower priority, but without it you will end up in trouble.  I'm a great believer that most of us interpret "carbo loading" with "eat too much then some more".. so that by race day we feel stuffed/bloated and have a poor run.

Craigerrs - why do you want to run 10 miles a day?  What is your target/goal, what are you training for?  Most high mileage athletes will mix up track work with long and slow runs, interval training, cross training, etc etc.  They are also likely to run twice a day or more so many are not simply banging out endless repeats of 10 miles or more.  You need to do this if you are going for an ultra, although frankly even then I wouldn't bother.  70 mile weeks are something that take years to work up to - diving straight into them is a sure way of developing an excellent relationship with your local physio and sports masseuse.  Eat after running - you need a mix of carb and protein within half an hour of running.  A glass of semi skimmed milk is perfect recovery fuel.  Then cereals/toast/fruit to set you up for the day.  Take care....

Chappers - welcome to the nut house.

It's pi$$ing down so I am going to go swimming.  It's going to be horrible as I haven't been for a year.  So already looking forward to some massive micky taking from my old masters buddies... image  Will run later.

Morning all.....  and good luck to the racers.  How is Kate feeling?

• Options
    I still do a lot of sprint training, mainly because 100m is my event. I never knew you ate after running! It'll save me a lot of time. I'm trying to build .1 miles per day.
  • Options

10% / week is the rate to build and then drop back every 4th week to recover a bit....  slowly slowly catch a monkey image

• Options

That's true, I'm joining an athletics club soon anyway. One of the parts I'm doing with it is endurance, working on my sprints is the other part I'm going to be doing. image

• Options

Mornng you lot

Morning psc and craigerrs

Lovely sunny/cold autumnal day up here. Just walked Geordie for 1.5 hrs. He's happily tired.image

• Options

I've just swum for the first time in a year... I'm happily shattered! image

• Options

Good morning allimage

11 miles this morning inc park run had planned more however new trail shoes today felt tight and not as muddy as I  thought so plenty of shin deep puddles but the firm paths  took their toll on my ankles knees and calves.

Craigerrs, Psc offered some good advice on building uip your miles. . I like to run 10 miles on week days 2 to 3 times longer runs at the weekend. I am fortunate that I do not start work till 10 am however due to the fact I do not sleep well I go out between 4 and 4.30am  . Not being the fastest or very young this again depending on route and  how I feel will take me between 1h.16 and 1 h.30 .

Robert, My job involves being on my feet all day with a 3/4 h sit down for lunch and 10 miles is fine give it a go

Birky and 5.30, Were all away this week, good luck at Milton Keynes and Stirling.

Kate, hope your feeling better are you racing if so good luck.

Psc, I guess the first of many more as part of your IM trainning

Hi and waves to all.

• Options

Thanks valisgonzozen and PSC I want to be able to do it, I just won't try push myself too much and I will build up mileage at a steady and slow pace!. I'm still at school so I would only have times to do it on a Saturday.image I never have too much free time, running takes up 60% of my spare time and I still have to make room for revision and friends. image

• Options

just call us valis everyone else does its easier

• Options

afternoon all

up early this morning and to Clumber Park for a great 10K, a pb - 1:06 really really pleased with that

well done on the swim PSC - guess you need to build that up again!

have a great day all

• Options

Afternoon all - thanks for the get wells, I'm firing on 3/4 cylinders at the moment, but will probably not race tomorrow, managed 6 miles and a spin this morning and may show my face in the gym later. PSC, seems strange to go in the pool to avoid getting wet, I'm assuming this isn't your favourite discipline if you haven't been for a while. MC, well done, you seem to be improving in all your races at the moment. Valis, I will always try and wear road shoes or I find my legs feels a bit bashed, plus my trail shoes smell really bad and are so muddy I can only just about tell they were born blue. Birky, hope Geordie doesn't snore too much this afternoon. Good luck to 5.30 in the international marathon tomorrow and anyone else racing, and make the most of the sunshine this afternoon.

• Options

Good morning allimage

13 miles this morning. A  chilly morning here but dry.

Nw 3 magpies

Maths , Well done on your result.

• Options

morning

16 miles for me, struggled a bit as I didn't sleep much last night, and had more walk breaks than I should, but it is miles in the bag.

beautiful morning, saw the sun rise over a foggy trent valley

chilly here too and had the running tights out for the first time

have a great day everyone

• Options

Morning - 16.5 for me this morning, gloves and long sleeved top but still sticking it out in shorts. NW was also mainly saluting at magpies, and a couple of squirrels. Plenty of ORs though, sunshine or VLM acceptances bringing them out I wonder? Enjoy the rest of Sunday.

• Options

morning

rest day for meimage

• Options

Gosh it's quiet in here. Morning MC, all NOC for me later, shame as it felt quite mild heading off to the SOC train. Have a good day all.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all, No SOC for me...  ended up sleeping in to recover from yesterday's half!

• Options
    530am530am ✭✭✭

Morning L&G

IOW 56th International Marathon

Going to sleep on Saturday, I couldn't quite work out if I was more concerned about the marathon or the logstics of getting to the start at time. Awoke Sunday to the most glorious October day possible. Got to the station and found out the train was going to be late. I really didn't need that sort of hassle on a marathon day. Arrived at Portsmouth Harbour a minute before departure and ran for the catamaran situated bizzarely at the end of the platform.  Last  passenger on and away we headed across the Solent. A nice 20 minute stroll off the pier and along the promenade to the start.There was the opportunity to leave a bottle at a drinks station. Initially I placed it in the 15m bag, only to return 10 mins later  to place it in the 18m receptacle.Decisions, decisions... 

It was my first wholly road marathon of the year, so for a small marathon field of over 100 it encountered a lot of traffic. Ryde Harriers deserve alot of credit, they marshalled the event very well.

I was expecting 26.2miles of hills and that is precisely what I got.  This event has a tough reputation. Very few flat bits and a knock out 2 mile hill at the 23 mile mark. The ups were steady and measured but the downs allowed a little bit of pace and relaxation.On my descents, I snorted up those white lines quicker than Boy George.

Over a 100 started but less than 100 finished so that was an achievement in itself. From the RW reviews of yesteryear the course is rated 20-40% for PBs. Notwithstanding all of that I managed to squeeze out another PB. Left the Island a happy man.  Three marathons in 22 days. I'm going to take it easier next weekend with just a nice flattish half....

• Options

Morning all, no SOC for me today either, a NOC later this evening.  Ran a 11.5 miler yesterday and the country roads were full of cyclists, many novices as I could keep up with a few until the downhills came.

• Options

5.30 great racing, PB after running 3 in a short span is pretty good and doesn't sound the ideal one to do it on.  What no long run next Sundayimage

• Options

Hi all,

I was very pleased to get out for my long SOC run on Saturday - albeit as a bit later than planned (7am). The weather was a bit off putting to start with as it looked to be raining quite hard and very windy. Once I got ou though the rain eased to a heavy drizzle and the wind dropped quite a bit and it was actually quite enjoyable to run in it. the rain stopped completely within an hour and the light breeze was very welcome.

As expected the views were amazing and whlst it was the hardest run I have done i was also one of the most enjoyable. managed to complete the run (just short of 19 miles) in 3 hours & 10 minutes.

Now its time to taper ready for Beachy.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    5.30am wrote (see)
    .On my descents, I snorted up those white lines quicker than Boy George.

Can I just say how much I love this quote! Well done 5.30!

@Celtic Runner - good luck with the taper image

• Options

Another great race report and PB from 5.30, the hula hooping has paid off!

• Options
    530am530am ✭✭✭

Well done JF on your run.

Celtic that's my sort of running pace.  Good luck for Beachy another hard course.

Emmy,well done on your half. Its strange the thoughts and observations that go through your mind whilst running! I have made notes of all my runs and intend to put them on a blog. I think it will be something I'll keep private. A  personal journey rather than something open for all to see. 

Kate, yesterday you ran longer than the half you missed.image Hula hooping rules and so do shot bloks image

• Options

5:30, love your race reports, and well done

well done to JF too

my legs are slightly achy after the weekend, quite a heavy session in the pool last night with the tri club too. We seem to be getting popular, there were loads of people there for swimming last night, the lanes were pretty crowded, but had a good time

• Options

Good morning all

50 meters run this morningimage 5 minutes before leaving a pain in my back and then chest jolted me in to thinking that an old problem has decided to rear its ugly head. despite my fears I thought that I would still go. after 50 meters every breath hurt.

Now sitting here and the pain has increased somewhat and I believe at best I won't be going to work today and will getting a chest x-ray and some strong pain killers to mix at my discretion or I do not want to think about or.

So i will catch up with you all later

Good race report 5.30 enjoyed it very much and well done Emmy on your half

• Options

morning all

valis - should you be calling an ambulance? Hope you are ok.

turno for me this morning, nice 40 minute session followed by some stretching

• Options

Morning all.  Valis hope all is well, not sure what your old problem is but hope you can get it looked at quickly.

NOC for me last night with a late but leisurely 5 miler on my treadmill, + another episode of series 3 of The Wire.  Rest day today.

• Options

Morning all,

Up at 6 to walk the dog, then a nice gentle jog into work for about 30 minutes, detour planned for the way home tonight which will be a steady run of about 40 minutes.