Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

Comments

• happy birthday PSC - hope the duathlon goes well

it is very odd not going for a run on a Sunday, and staying in bed till 8. I had better not make too much of a habit of it.

I was going to go cycling, but I am now thinking that total rest miight be better till I see a physio, it seems to be getting worse

have a nice Sunday everyone - will be a lazy one for me, although I will still go to the tri club swim tonight, reckon I can always use a pull buoy if I need to

• Didn't run this morning, my leg is so painful. Hopefully I'll be running tomorrow again though!
  • Just transitioning to early mornings myself so thought I'd drop in.

Previously been an evening and weekend runner. Kids and commitments finally made early mornings the only option. Managed two or three 6:00 ish runs in the last few weeks with the aim of gradually bringing my alarm clock forward and getting to two or three 5:30 ish runs per week.

[@cicerunner]

• welcome cicero

craigerrs - what is wrong with your leg?

• No soc again for me, late night last night and a very stressy week has left me knackered. At least I can say I am taperng for Beachy image

I was secconded to one of our other offices last week which meant getting up to go to work at stupid o clock to do a job that was all new to me.

On Thursday night I came home to find an ambulance outside my house and then fond that my neigbour and friend had died suddenly.image

Then on Friday I had an interview after work with a company that didn't actually have a postion for me but just wanted to see me as they lked my CVimage So bit of a waste of time.

Anyway hopefully next week wll be back to some sort of normallty

• Rest day, but walked Geordie at 7:30am today. Nice autumnal day up here.

• Afternoon fellow SOCers - lots of resting and hopefully recovering for most of you this weekend, welcome Cicero and hope you had a good race PSC. Sad news Tommy, sounds like you need to write off last week. Abingdon marathon for me this morning, completed my 12 in 2012, decided to run to feel and not look at my watch so pretty chuffed with a 3.55something. Had my ironman testing yesterday, VO2 max is 53 which I think is quite good for an old lady like me, slightly outside what they wanted but as long as my ECG isn't scary then I should be up for selection, will hear in a week. Feet up and a glass of wine now, day off tomorrow and a longish run to try a back to back in preparation for next month's 40 miler.

• well done Kate

no idea what VO2 max being 53 means - maybe I should geek up a bit on things like that. You are certainly not on old lady anyway! Fingers crossed for the IM selection

• I'm not sure, It's just really painful just under the knee and is almost like a pulsing pain. 

Ps. Does anyone know where to get cheap hi-viz clothing? I really need it since it's dark in mornings and nights.

• morning peeps.. resting here.

Kate - sounds promising.

Maths - thanks, the Duathlon was a hoot... very wet and cold and muddy, but a really great event.  I didn't the 10/40/5 kms in about 3 hours which (considering the conditions and the course) I am really happy with.

Tommy, sorry to hear your news.  It's all a bit scary isn't it. 

Craigerrs - have you tried sweatshop....?

• morning all

PSC well done

tommy - sorry to hear your news

no running but did a soc swim as it is half term. Shame the pool was full of people swimming breast stroke with theirs heads above the water and scattered throughout the lanes not just in the slow lane, grrrimage

kids are off to London with my mum and staying overnight at my brother's house, so we are going out to the cinema and for a meal tonightimage

• Run started 6:12 this morning, but only because my one year old woke me up at 5:55 after I'd fallen asleep again after my 5:40 alarm. Thanks Isobel image

Target for this week to start running by 5:59!

• Hi all,

PSC: Happy birthday for yesterday. Hope the race went well.

Tommy: sorry to hear your sad news.

Hello Cicero - I do SOC runs for exactly the same reason - I try to be up and out as close to 5am as possible during the week and 6ish on a Saturday. Usually means I am back home and showered before any one else is up.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Had a good birthday and managed 8 miles SOC Saturday morning before we went took the girls out for the day for my birthday. Headed down to Eastbourne and went out for lunch - then popped over to St Bedes to check out parking for Saturday then ook the girls to watch Madagascar 3.

All in all a good day - not sure what I should be dong this week - think I will do a short SOC Tuesday & Thursday or should I just do one on Wednesday? Any ideas/ suggestions welcome.

• Craigerrs wrote (see)

Ps. Does anyone know where to get cheap hi-viz clothing? I really need it since it's dark in mornings and nights.

I just bought one of these - http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-quarter-zip-t-shirt-mens-451877 - in a high street store, rather than online, and it's pretty comfy and enables me to feel confident that I'm seen in the morning.

• Morning all - tried to post earlier but my laptop reminded me I was having a day off and seized up. 1.5 hours out this morning with my headtorch, pitch black, muddy, misty, hilly and drizzly, lovely and the complete antithesis of yesterday. CR, I tend to do the same as normal but shorter distances, and maybe even have a day's rest, but it's best not to listen to me. MC, sounds like you're making the most of the time off. Well done on the duathlon PSC, I am starting to think about bicycle buying, a whole world of expense awaits. Craigerrs, there's quote often threads on here about Aldo stocking stuff, otherwise I have a reflective bib which I can stick on over normal kit, look like a road worker without the pneumatic drill but what the hell.

• Kate F - where do you run in the dark?  Do you feel safe?  I completed a marathon in August and am getting ready to get start training again for another next April.  I have taken a couple of months out because of getting married and just generally being lazy!  It's hard to get motivated but also it was ok getting up at the crack of dawn to go running in the light summer months but don;t know what to do about dark mornings!  I'm not sure I would feel safe running in the dark as I live in a small town in the country.  Any advice appreciated image

• Hi Dobster - this morning was a mix of on road, then trails and woods, I think you're OK as long as you're visible, have a head torch and keep off roads with no pavements or siding to jump into if a car comes. Evenings are dark as well and the roads are busier so I'd say you are safer in the morning.

• I run in my local park, I live near it and it's generally a safe place. I'd run along lit up roads if you're unsure about where to run.
  • My town is only about a mile across, it's hard to get some good mileage going when you only have that to work with image  I'm less worried about the cars as I know the roads really well and run towards the traffic so I can see everything coming towards me and can jump out the way if needed.  I do worry about being a young woman on her own in the countryside.  And if I'm completely honest I'm also a bit afraid of the dark image

• I'm a guy so I don't have to be as careful I suppose. Just wear bright hi-viz clothing and if possible with someone or just go when there will be a few more people about
  • Evening you lot

Dobster:Good to have you with us.

Slept in a bit this morning. It was very foggy up here.

Need to catch up.

psc: Well done.

• Morning you lot

An easy run today, dropped nephew off at Glasgow airport and it was mobbed 1

NW: 1 owl, 1 Kingsmill Van 1 cyclist, 3 foxes, 1 other runner.

Cicero: I really enjoy my SOCs. It's my time and very rarely (airport drop offs/pick ups  apart) does anybody make a demand on me at SOC.

• Morningimage

5.87 very sweaty miles done,it must be 14 + out there

NW couple of cats and dogs, OR x 2 Ninja cyclist x 2

• Morning Tommy

Not so warm up here.

• morning all

lazy late morning for me as the kids are awayimage

still not running so off to the gym later

Dobster, I am a woman too, and sometimes find the dark a bit scary but do feel pretty safe in the mornings. I live in a small town, and mainly run round the streets, it does mean I have to do laps sometimes, which is a bit boring but ok. You can make the route longer by going up and down every single street. I also have a head torch, because there is a pavement along a road the heads out of town to a college half a mile away, but it isn't lit. I don't go out on the country roads that aren't lit or have pavement.

• Hi all - newbie on the forums here!

Wow, I am relieved it's not just me who goes out to run very early in the morning! Three times a week (I run four though - I do speed and hill work on the treadmill at the moment), I am up at 4am, have a coffee and a slice of Warburton's raisin bread with a smidge of honey, get my gear on, do my stretches and I'm out of the door at 4.45am.  My friends (non-runners) think I am mad but it's just what works best for me. 

I live in the suburban outskirts of London and run on the pavements.  There are parks and woods near me but I would not feel safe in those at that early time in the morning, however I like the fact that there is literally no-one around (apart from the odd fox, early bus or milkfloat chugging along).  I have been for a few evening runs after work but trying to cross the roads etc. with all that traffic drives me mental. Plus I am definitely more energised and motivated in the morning.

Also, a early run allows me to have a free evening so I often head to gym for a spin class - and recently I have been cross training/using kettlebells at home to try to improve my runs.

I have only been seriously running since April but I am addicted.  I have already stocked up on some (hi-vis) winter running gear for when it gets really cold as I don't really know what running through that season is going to be like.  Any hints?

• Hi BeanieBum,

Only bit of advise I can gve is don't over dress, basic rule of thumb is that you should feel a little chilly at the start of your run. Then as you get into the miles you will soon warm up. I used to over dress with gloves hat jacket and long tights only to find that I had to take most of it off. Its abit trail and error image 

Oh and be very careful when the roads start to ice up, in fact its about the only weather that stops me running.

• hi beanie and welcome to the thread

you won't need much for the winter, although I did end up getting some thermal running tights last year as I found my bum and thighs got quite cold, and I preferred an earwamer type thing to a hat - basically the hat didn't fit once I tied my hair up, and it was really my ears that got cold. Not silly ear muffs, but like a headband that covered my ears, though it muffled sound which was odd till I got used to it. Only only really thin gloves

• Thanks Tommygun and mathschick!

I have bought some thicker running tights and a Brooks Nightlife Infiniti long sleeve top - which, mathschick, has a hood with a hole at the back to stick your ponytail/bun through.  I tried it on last night - even though I slightly resemble ET sitting in the front basket of Elliot's bike, I can tell it's practical and not too thick and bulky.  I have some Nike gloves too - as I said, I haev been stocking up!  But I still get quite hot out at the moment in a thin running jacket so hopefully it will be a while until I try these out.  The ice will be a problem if it snows near me - the last couple of years, the snow compacted into ice and the pavements were trecherous.  I was thinking about investing in some Yaktrax Pro ice grips ... they will even help me out walking to the train station for work in the morning. 

Anyway, sorry, don't want to turn this thread into a winter running one, back to the subject!  Nice to meet all you early runners! image

• I'm the same BeanieBum. My friends think I'm crazy! They don't run so I just tell them that's why the don't get it. And as of right now I wear a t-shirt, tracksuit bottoms and a zippy hoodie. I definitely need to get hi-viz and warmer clothes soon though. image