Are there any slow beginners out there?

Comments

• Evening folks

Kylie - those are great times.  Wish I could go that fast!  My 10k PB is 1hr 22m.  Getting there slowly though.

Zoe - ended up putting a maximum bid on for a Garmin 305 on ebay.  Don't think I'll get it, but just thought that if it goes my way I'm meant to have it!

Got a run planned for tomorrow night, but chucking it down here just now, so hoping that it clears up a bit before then.

Hope all you tortoises are doing okay.

Corrah x

• I wasn't last Zoe.  Thankfully that was quite a big race, so I was probably in the last 40.  In my other 10k races I've come last and 3rd last, but hey ho, I reckon I'm a winner for doing them image

Got out for my run tonight and ended up doing 5.6 miles and enjoyed every minute of it.  Hopefully sorted out this evening thing as I really don't tend to run very well in the evenings.  I'm not normally a monring person, but it would seem that I am if I'm running!

Hope everyone else is doing okay.

Tortoise Troop forever!

Corrah x

• hi all just thought id jump in if noone minds!

im a slow runner (or plodder as i call it!), just about get round a 5k with a few stops, and it takes me about 45mins. people look at me and see a young not too heavy girl and expect me to be flying about at 12kmph or something and doing 10k runs in an hour or so - i cant even run for an hour let alone do 10k!!

i just find running really hard. there are days when 30mins nearly kills me, so hoping this forum has some undrestanding people!image

• Hi

Everyone is welcome here so feel right at home.

I did my second 5k race on Sunday morning. Wearing my trusty garmin I only measures 2.6miles! I knew the area we were running before and wondered how they were going to fit 5k in. Well the answer was they didn't. Still I did it and by my calculation would have done 5k in 51 mins. A whole 3mins and 50 seconds quicker than my first. Still very very slow and I was aiming for 50 mins. My shin muscle was hurting the whole way which slowed me down.

• Afternoon

Leenipie - welcome, pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable.  We all have bad days.  Sometimes I struggle for the shorter runs and other times I can go on for miles (most I've managed is 8)..

Zoe - Shame they didn't get the distance right, but good for you getting round.  Did you get some stretches in for your shin?

I'm off for a slow plod this evening and currently hoping that it cools down a bit otherwise I'll be struggling.  Will do some longer runs later in the week.

Corrah x

• Hi to you all,

Well I ran twice last week.The first one-48 minutes and on Sunday 35 minutes.Very impressive as the heat is knackering.

IT'S TOO HOT!!!!!!!!!!

If I could just manage to get up at 5 am,I'd be out the door by 7(I'm a slow starter )Nice and cool.Piece of cake.

I'll have to work at this.Happy plodding x

• Hi Corrah,

I had the same pain in the same leg when I first started to the couch to 5k program but it dissappeared so it is really annoying that it has come back. I dont think it is shin splints, I just think it is a tight shin muscle. I think there are several reasons  Its  nearly the end of term and its been full on at school and evenings with parents evenings, plus looking after my daughter, plus running 3 or 4 times a week either before work or after. Basically I am shattered. My body wants to just go to bed for the day. This week I am still planning to go running but at a 'whatever' pace. Just getting out and running is my goal this week. i've had two days off to rest to tomorrow after work I shall go out at a leisurely pace.

Zoe 

• thanks for your welcomes!

i did 5k yesterday in 45 mins, so well proud lol

i got the shin thing too when i was training about a year ago. i think its tight shins and apparently tight muscles down the front of the ankle and foot. a friend of mine told me to stretch my ankle by standing on tthe non-hurting leg and putting the front of the other foot on the ground (toes pointing backwards, as if youre trying to step on the top of your foot, if you get me), and apply gentle pressure.

it feel really weird, but did seem to help a bit. dont know if this will work you ? hope it feel better soon!

• Afternoon folks

I would keep with the stretches then and maybe try searching for some specific stretches online.

Well done on your 5k Leenipie.

Didn't get out last night as it was too nice, so ended up gardening instead.  Weather is horrible today, but still hoping that it will clear up later on to allow me to go for a short run.

Corrah x

• Hi there... hope you don't mind me popping into the thread!  I've been running (well, plodding) for about five years and was about to give up on it all today until I came across this thread.  I'm a gym runner usually, but enjoy running outside when the weather is rainy and cold.  I dislike running in the summer due to hayfever.  I'm five stone overweight due to recent sporadic exercise and terrible drinking habits.  You guys have been the motivtion I needed to smack myself into shape.

It's so refreshing to have support for slower runners.  I find the RW magazine a little snobby at times regarding slower runners.  Even my Dad who is a regular 14 mile runner and has completed 3 marathons stopped buying RW because of it.

Anyway, enough pointless chatter.  I just wanted you to know that reading how hard you all work at your running has motivated me to get back into my regular 4 runs a week routine I used to do... starting from tonight.  Oh Hell, I might even sign up for my first 10k (my longest race so far being a 5 miler).

Cheers to you all!   To the gym! x

• Hello Barenaked Lady!

Welcome to the Tortoise Trot. Its great to have you on board and really glad you are getting something from this thread. I know what you mean about RW (and nearly everything else) being blinkered to slow runners. That was the main reason I started this thread. I felt like I had no home. Everyone on this thread is really really helpful and supportive.

I too am overweight but I have set myself a goal to loose a stone in 6 weeks ie over the summer holidays. If only it was as easy to get off as it is to go on!

Keep us informed on how you're doing and what you have signed up for. My next is another 5k at the end of august.Your thoughts and experiences will help to inspire others.

Zoe

• Oh Leeniepie, thanks for the advice about stretches, I know exactly what you mean. I have been doing something similar. Have not run since sunday (bad girl) and dont plan to run till saturday (really bad girl). Very unlike me but I just need to get this week out the way them back to training for my 10 mile GSR!!!!!!!! Oh heck, what made me sign up for that.
  • Hi Zoe and thanks for the warm welcome!  It's a coincidence that you mention losing a stone in 6 weeks as that is my goal too!  I go on holiday in 6 weeks time and would dearly love to be a stone lighter.

I did run last night... it was cooler in the gym than I expected and I had my Dad along for personal trainer type support!  I managed 30 mins at 12 min miles, so 2.5 miles was achieved.  I'm trying to build up my speed a bit.  PB for a 5 miler is 58.18, and 5k is 32.46.  I do run faster (and better) during races, but have been stuck around the same speed and distance for years as I build it up, then get lazy and let it drop.  So I am now embarking on a self made interval routine that will hopefully get my speed up slightly and shift the bloody weight that has been annoying me for years! 

I know people look at me in the gym and in the races and think that I'm the token tortoise chunky, but for my weight I do feel I'm reasonably fit.  It makes me smile to watch the guys all kitted out in the latest Nike/Addidas/Puma gear strutting in the mirror and sprinting at full pelt one minute only to see them collapsed over the treadmill 2 minutes later.  I say slow and steady wins the day (that and the fact you don't need the most up-to-date sports fashion to jog!).

I also find that some hillwork really helped in the build up to my last race... does anybody else to any here?

Lucy x

• Hi guys! Im not in the UK but I stumbled upon this site while looking for things that happen to me related to running. And I must say the times you guys posted here are pretty impressive, i'm almost ashamed to post my time.

There's this mountaineering organization in our college and tomorrow is the last chance for me to pass the first test: 6k in 45min. My first attempt was yesterday, which was around 53 min.(with ALOT of walking, walking which actually resulted to me knowing exactly why they say its a very bad idea to stop/walk while running/jogging)

Not really asking anything, as my whole "new" running experience depends whether I pass tomorrow's test or not. If I pass, expect to see me here more often. If I don't, well... image

Well that's it. Hope I pass the test tho! image
  • I feel so much better having read this thread.   I totally get what barenaked lady said about being the token tortoise chunky.  Our gym has all shapes and sizes but at the last race I was the only person over a size 10 [and I am considerably bigger than that!] 

I've been running on and off for the last year and a bit.  I did last years GNR and got such a slow time that people asked me if I had walked itimage  But I figured at least I got out there and did the whole thing unlike the people who took the mic.

I'm entering this year again so really glad to see other tortoises are.   I've read a really great book this year ["no need for speed"]  which has changed my perspective a bit.  Sometimes I feel  people expect you to run at a certain speak to be a runner.  Now when ever I get totally frustrated about my lack of pace I just take a deep breath and think that at least I'm out there doing it and I am getting faster.  And I enjoy just plodding on at my pace!

After all the tortoise won the race in the end! image

• niddynoddy - dont beat yourself up, a week off might be exactly what your body needs. sometimes i find i run better when i've had a ffew days off, but i know how fustrating it can be.

rachel lane7 - think you'll find many ppl on here agree! i even feel embarrassed when i go to buy running shoes and they put you on their treadmill for gait analysis and go 'so, how fast do you normally go' image

oh, and you lot are brave entering all these races!!

• This thread is going from strength to strength and it's fabulous. I hope running world take note and maybe start including more feature for ALL abilities.

Rachel lane- I might amazon that book. I actually really enjoy running at between 16 and 17 min per mile. Very slow I know.

I really like the do running range of clothes especially the hoodies but the biggest they do is 16! My local running shop only stock clothes to a size 14!

Zoe
  • Lucy- let's keep each other posted on how the 6 week challenge is going!
  • niddy noddy- its well worth a read. By john Bingham [?] "the penguin", really celebrates joy in running at what ever speed.

Has anyone considered joining a running club? I wonder if it would make me get out more often which would be a good thing but I worry about lots slower than the others and whether I'd still enjoy it.
  • I have ordered it and it will be here Saturday!

I have thought about joining a running club and even got as far as contacting them but they meet on Wednesday at lunchtimes!

I would quite like to run with someone else. My sister someones comes with me when she is visiting and it's really nice having some company.
  • Zoe - it's a deal!  Will post next week with weight/cm loss (hopefully!)!

Rachel - I looked into joining a club too, but it was quite pricey and as they marshall my favourite local races I wouldn't be able to run them!  Luckily my Dad's a runner so I tend to get support from him - he'll slow his pace right down to run with me outside.  My sister is just about to take up running too, so I might be able to help her and she'll help me too!  My other half runs, but we do tend to treadmill it rather than run out.  This thread has also given me a much needed boost so thanks guys!

Stephen - how did your trial go?

Hope you're all well!!!

Lucy x

• Hello!

Another tortoise reporting for duty!  image

I have been plodding for a couple of years now, and last year had an operation on my calf for compartment syndrome - despite weeks of rehab it didn't work, so I plod. My plod pace is 44 mins for a 5k (RFL in June 2010) and 1hr 31 mins for a 10k (BUPA 10,000 May 2010) - so I think that is similar to some of you guy's.

I too have come last in a race - my thoughts on that are that someone has to - and I got a huge round of applause! image

I am a member of the WRN - but they are all way too fast for me, so on Saturday I am doing a Leaders course with a view to taking a slow group. It seems that there are lots of people who really enjoy running who aren't fast and will never be competitive - the world needs people like us to show them what being human reall is! Providing I pass my course I'm thinking of calling my group sessions "running for normal people"!

This morning I did 10k around the lanes where I live and managed a respectable 1 hour 22 mins. 

Great to know there are fellow plodders! 

• Evening everyone, lovely to see some new faces so to speak.

I've been really bad and done practically nothing today other than just over 5 miles this morning.  Found it really hard going and had to walk more often than normal, but then again I think I was just too hot.

Not going to let it get me down and planned another session for Tuesday night.  Hopefully will go better this time.

Go Tortoise Troup!

Corrah x

• another slow plodder reporting for duty!!
  • I'm so glad to read I'm not the only plodder.  Mind you, I would like to speed up a little bit!  Still, off to the gym I go tonight!
  • Barenaked Lady wrote (see)
    I'm so glad to read I'm not the only plodder.  Mind you, I would like to speed up a little bit!  Still, off to the gym I go tonight!

My thoughts exactly! image

• Nice to see so many tortoises- At this rate we'll have to get t-shirts! I'm feeling smug because I actually went out for a run tonight even though I had a really long day and didn't finish til 730. Boot camp tomorrow at 645am too.
  • Evening all!

This tortoise is hibernating. I have not been out for a run in just over a week! How bad is that? I have a chest infection and that mixed with asthma is never good. Hoping to go out tomorrow for a slow run at a 'whatever' pace.

Welcome to those of you who have joined our thread. It's great to hear your stories and run times. Devonian plodded, when I read your times I thought to myself - that's only 5 mins faster than me! 45 mins for a 5 k is my next target.

Zoe
  • Yeah, nothing for a week for me too, Ive done 3 sets of weights is all.

Some big weekends and a lot of dating have taken their toll!

Today I shall do a steady 5k I think..