Are there any slow beginners out there?

Comments

• Hello peeps!

Managed another 2.6 miles in 30 mins yesterday and am off for another session in a minute.  I need to sign up for another race really, but not sure which one!  I have to work some weekends and it always seems that runs I want to do fall on my weekend on!

You're all doing really weel and I'm so pleased that we're all supporting each other!

• BL where are you based?  Have you tried searching on the events listing or entrycentral?

DP hope your leg is better.

Niddy, clocking up those miles!!!!

Hope to get to gym on Thursday as hubby is away until then. No running until then!

• Hiya... I'm based in Bucks.  I do look up on the events listing; maybe I'm too fussy!

Went to the gym last night and managed 40 minutes of intervals (8.5 mins run/1.5 mins walk)... ran about 3.4 miles which is the furthest for some time.  Quite pleased.

Rest day for me today; off to a breast cancer awareness evening with my Mum...  complete with free Clarins facial!  Lush!

• hi everyone i went running on the beach at st bees in cumbria and felt like i was in chariots of fire lol.. until i felt a sharp pain in my hamstring so my running shoes are on the shelf for a few days. hope you are all doing well, plodder you should get that leg checked out to be on the safe side,congrats on the tri lainey and great mileage niddy and bl keep up the good work. oh well time for my slippers...
  • Thanks Baggieboy, hope the leg improves.  do you think your wife will massage it this time??image

BL what sort of event are you after?  Big, small, local, a bit of an adventure?  perhaps we could suggest ones and you could take your pick!!  I'm doing leigh on Sea (near Southend) in October if you fancy a run by the sea.  I can guarantee you won't be last!!image

• Trouble - I think I'm going backwards. Tried to run twice last week whilst in Whitby. First of all on the beautiful sea front and felt a very ungrateful Goldilocks ("the concrete is too hard; the sand is too soft"). Two days later I wandered up to the local community college where, according to Google maps, they have a grass running track. However, I discovered when I get there that they rent it out over the summer to become a caravan park. Somehow I didn't think the campers would be impressed at being woken at 7.00 a.m. by me tootling around, so that was a waste of time.

Lots of fish and chips, some red wine and dark chocolate does not a good training schedule make. But it was fun!

Was really lazy over the weekend and didn't run. Forced myself up to the Common last night and tried again. Had one of the worst runs I've had in ages, and gave up part way down the path. I'd managed about 2 km before I stopped and then ran/walked the 2 km back to the bus stop. Went back to the gym where my kit was and did 2 km in about 17 minutes on the treadmill before a few free weights. Dunno what was the matter but it wasn't good.

I tried 'map my run' for the first time today.  It says my usual run is approximately 5.90 km. That was the one I managed to do the other week without stopping in about 43 minutes. Makes a change from trying to use www.walkit.com and failing miserably 'cos it doesn't 'do' anything off-road and I'm not buying a Garmin-type thing just yet.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/

Only got to September 5 to get anywhere close to being able to complete 10 K (and yes, I'm definitely starting to panic).  Especially as I'm away again for a long weekend and don't know where I'll be able to fit in any more training.  Who said this running lark is 'fun'. I don't know.

Sorry for the vent!

• Hi JJ - Your holiday sounds great - especially the fish and chips bit! It's never easy getting out on holiday - I think it's a guilt thing. At least you tried - and how strange putting caravans on a grass running track - what a waste!

As for your 10k - "Don't Panic"!  image  You still have a couple of weeks - and as your usual route is 6k as near as damn it, you only have to add a couple more once or twice and I'm sure you'll get around the10k no problem at all.

It is fun - when you don't put pressure on yourself - so get out there and enjoy a plod around and see how far you can get - why not try a proper run/walk strategy - maybe run 15 mins, walk for 5, and see how far that takes you?

Be positive - you CAN do this!

• Thanks for that.  I suspect the caravans on running track = earning money over the summer for the College.  I told the B&B owner at breakfast time and it jogged her memory - she'd completely forgotten about it.  Would have been nice to remember when I'd said I was heading up there as it would have saved me a wasted trip.  Oh well.

The weekend away this week is to Devon to accompany others in the running club to do a 10K on the Jurassic Coast.  I said I'd look after the kit since I'm not up to 10K yet.  I've just mapped a route by the caravan park so hopefully I'll have a chance to stretch my legs.  Once round its 2.73 miles, so a couple times around should do it.

My trouble is (apart from putting too much pressure on myself), is that I can tootle along on my own and don't care about (lack of) speed.  However, put me in a racing situation and I go off too fast, get panicked and can't relax.  So, if I know I'm not prepared enough, its not going to go well.  I just want to be able to train up to at least 8K so I don't have too much more to step up to 10K and then I know its within my reach on the day.  Silly mind games but hopefully it'll work.

All my friends at the club are supportive but to them, 10K is nothing and they don't know why I'm bothered about it.  You guys understand a bit more from where I'm coming.  Thanks.

• hey JJ10, you are doing so well, and we do know where you are coming from!  I can only talk about triathlons (and am no expert) but I feel the same at the beginning of a race and look around and think-I am last here, everyone is much fitter.  But then i tell myself, so what.  I am doing more than most and then I don't care.  Try to keep calm in your races, and view them all as learning experiences.  You know there are others like you (i.e. this board) so just try and enjoy it.  The more I run the more I realise the mental thing is so important!!
  • Quite agree Lainey - it is all a mental thing. I have accepted my slowness and embrace it as much as I can. I don't mind being last, as you say, at least you try and that counts for buscket loads. Someone has to be last - may as well be me as I am touch enough to take it! image

Hope you have a great weekend in Devon JJ - I'm on the opposite coast (North) otherwise I would have come along to cheer. 2.73 miles twice round is 5 and a half as near as damn it, which is 9km! That would be fabulous and  great training run for your 10k - if you can do that, you'll have no problem at all!

This afternoon I trudged down, up, up, up some more, down a bit, up a bit, and down a hill to get in 3.5 miles of quality plodding. It was very warm despite a nice breeze. At least the flies weren't biting. Total time 48 minutes - just over 13mm pace. Ho Hum.

I keep hoping I'll wake up being able to run 10mm - I can do it easily in my sleep! 

• Went for first run since tri.  Charged up my ipod but then found that it didn't charge up properly-which immediately caused panic.  how can I run withour my ipod?  So decided that I would run hard and fast and so set distance to 3km and speed to a heady 9km/h (well it is for me!).  My, my it was tough and i walked for 0.25km from 2.5-2.75 but then finished it off with a sprint of 9.5km/himage.  pleased I did it, took me well out of my comfort zone and am shattered!!

good plodding DP, building up distances that's the main thing.  speed will come!

• Hi, can I join you all?  Followed a running plan in the zest book 'running made easy', have started several times in the past and always got up to about week 6, then lazyness has taken over.  Last year ran walked race for life in about 50 mins after stopping training about 6 weeks beforehabd.

Started again in April and finally made it to the end of the plan, have since run walked race for life in about 39 mins and a 5 mile race in 1hr 9 mins.  Trouble was that I got to the end of the plan and was still run walking.  Tried teh 10k plan in the book, but it felt like a step backwards and the longer walk breaks were hurting my calves and making me struggle to get going again.  Someone gave me the advice to slow down and try to run 5k non-stop, and i'd probably find I had the fitness, but it was mental barriers stopping me.  So I did that last week and that took me 40.18 minutes.  I then went out last night and managed 6.5k in 50 minutes (there were seconds too, but can't remember how many).

I found my plan quite good, because it was a much slower build up than the couch to 5k etc, but did struggle at the end with what to do next, though seem to have overcome that now.

• Hi Angel - and welcome! You ran walked the RFL faster than I ran it all the way - well done you!

What's your goal now? It sounds like you need something to aim for. Maybe do the 5km to 10km plan? There is a good one on this site, or you will probably find others. A race maybe? A few of us are doing/looking for 10k's in the Autumn - why not join us? 

It sounds like you need something to keep you motivated - so what's it going to be?

• Evening everyone,

It's feels like it's been ages since I posted on here. I'm away this weekend in East Sussex and going for a 6 mile run tomorrow. I run at about 17 mins per mile when I do longer distances. Slow yes but who cares, how many other people can run 6 miles or keep running for over an hour and half non stop. Still battling with my asthma which does not help the speed either.

I can't believe we are up to page 9 on this thread! And I thought I was the only slow one out there.
  • Hi Devonian Plodder, my plan at the moment is just building up the distance.  My legs feel better when I just run than walk run, so rather than a plan i'm planning to do 1-2 runs a week around 3-4k, one around 5k and one I build up each week.  I've entered an 8k race in Windsor at the end of September and plan to also do a 10k in October, probably the cancer research 10k in Cambridge.  My long term aim is to do the Reading Half next March.  I want to build up to 10k over the next few weeks, and I think when I get there i'll start to try and work on my speed.  Never going to be breaking any records though!

And I run walk 5k faster than I can run it too, but I need to get out of the run walk habit because it makes my calves hurt.

• Hi Angel82, great you dropped in!  Sounds like you have a good plan building up the distances.  My brother did Reading Half many years ago and raves about it still!

Niddy have a great weekend.  Speed will come, you're doing great and just think where you used to be.  And doing with asthma, you're fab.

See you all soon, off on my hols, will catch up when I get back.  Happy running!

• Blatant trumpet blowing time!!!!!!

Just ran 6.2 miles (my furthest yet) in the rain, up and down hills and with large trucks flying past. My average pace over the 6 miles was 16.3 and my last mile I did in 15.4.

Oh and it's my birthday today. 21 again as always.

Hope everyone else is doing well and progressing at your own pace.

• morning all just did 50 minutes in the pouring rain and really enjoyed it ran on roads and not the towpaths and found it much easier for some reason, good luck everyone with your weekend runs, its 8 miles!!! for me
    tomorrow morning according to my schedule so its a late sunday lunch. happy birthday niddy easy on the cake lol
  • Hi,

Haven't been on here for a while.I haven't been running much lately because of the heat.It's been cooler this week and managed to go out 3 times,running for 30-35 minutes.

I'm very pleased with this!Next week hopefully I'll manage to do as well,and try and build up the times a bit-10% more etc.

Happy plodding everyone!

• Not posted for a few days; sorry guys!

Nids... well done buddy, that's impressive running!!  I managed 3 miles in 35 mins on Sat, then just did a quick 20 min run tonight.  I found I was trying to run faster and faster but struggling.  So on Sat I ran slower to start and manged the whole 3 miles without stopping at a faster pce than if I'd walked inbetween!

Keep on plodding! xx

• Well done on the runs everyone.  Has anyone seen the Matt Roberts plan in this month's health and fitness magazine.  It's a half marathon plan that say's it'll make you run faster further.  Think i'll give it a go.  Does say in week 5 you should be covering 5-6 miles in a 55 minute run tho image Think i'll go by distance for the long runs, not time.

• Hi All! I'm still plodding - managed 5 and a half miles yesterday across fields and through woods! It was a real adventure - took an hour and 20 minutes and I was shattered! Resting today - and maybe tomorrow too!

Haven't seen the plan Matt - I'll have to look for that, but I have read that you should try to go further - even if it is a lot slower as it should improve your short run speed. I don't quite compute that as I just plod at the same old speed no matter how far I go!

Anyone know a cure for that?

• Hi there,

Everyone is doing very well I see. 

I only managed the one run whilst away over the weekend.  It was the day after the 10K and one of the others who'd done the race took me out for a run.  We did approximately 4km non-stop in about 40 minutes and she insisted I end with a sprint (and ended up feeling like I was going to be ill - which I was informed was how it was meant to feel).

Copped out of training on Tuesday and dragged myself out (later in the evening than planned) last night.  Did a out and back route that is 0.6 miles - so 1.21 there and back.  Did it 2.5 times = 3.02 miles, so 4.85 km.  OK, but not great as I had to stop for a short breath after each out and back.

I prefer the other routes but its starting to get so dark early in the evening that I don't want to go too far from civilization on my own.  I hope if I keep doing the same route as last night, I can do 2.5 times, then 3, then 3.5 . . .

I was feeling really down about it last night after having to make my stops, but woke up this morning feeling really energized.  Hopefully, I'll make it to yoga tonight, so that should help with my breathing.

Only 16 days until race day - Eeek!

• Angel,

I've stupidly signed up for one on Sunday, September 5 at Kew/Richmond - http://www.thefixevents.com/content/richmond-10k-river-run-kew-charity-events/

Gulp.

• Good Luck.  It looks like a nice race.
  • Hello all - I've just started attempting to jog last week. At the moment I can run/walk 1.5 miles in about 19 minutes...so i'm with you on being slower than everyone else on here!
  • Slow is good! I am so slow at the moment that infact I have stopped.

Got some kind of bug at the moment. Tried to ignore it and run the other day but after 1/2 mile I had to turn back. Just taking it easy till it passes.

Hope everyone else is ok.
  • Sorry not been on - been manic at work!  Been running 30 mins, about 3 miles, 3 times a week for the last 2-3 weeks.  It's the big 30 for me on Tuesday then off on hols!  Running stuff shall be coming with me, but early runs are the only option as it's too hot to run after 9am!  Hope you're all well x