Options

Are there any slow beginners out there?

Comments

• Options

Well done on your park run JJ!!  It sounds like nerves that you're describing in your 10k... I used have similar problems during races, but I think practice (and listening to calming music before the start) helped.  Maybe you're not eating enough?  I eat porridge now and it seems to digest better.

It was my first day back running tody and didn't plan on doing much - so I didn't!  Managed a quick mile in 12 minutes, but haven't run for 4 weeks so am building up slowly again!

Hope you're ll well xx

• Options
    I have really enjoyed reading this thread - its a shame no-ones posted over the last month or so.

Hope everyone is doing really well - Im a tortoise runner as well - just restarted after 8/9 months off from a back injury - so back to a beginners schedule for me - but im enjoying it - I was so desperate to get back out there.

It would be really good to get an update from you guys to see how everyone is doing.
  • Options
    Hi Dual Heritage,
    Every so often we drift off but we tend to all come back again. I'm doing well apart form last week when I had a chest infection so not been clocking many miles. Next week is half term though so am looking for a record breaking week in between work.

• Options
    hello all i am in week 4 of my beginner training plan ( i am doing the silverstone half mara in march 2011)

day one was jog for 15 mins non stop ! i managed to do 1 minute then had to walk !!!

but im getting there slowly but surely

how is everybody doing?
  • Options
    Hi Willrun4cake & Jacqueline

Nice to hear from you - yes I found the thread most interesting. Sorry to her about your chesty cold - hope its on its way out and you are back out there on the run.

Jacqueline - what beginner programme are you on - that sounds a bit heavy for day one - 15 minutes non-stop!! It was probably an elite beginners programme lol xxx. I remember I only managed to run a mere 20 seconds on my first ever run.....rather jog. But with consistency the progress was first class.

A good for you booking a half - thats determination. My first race was a 10K - bloomin hard work but oh so worth it.

I went out on my 6th run back after injury this evening - its going well and I can already feel the fitness just starting to edge back in - Im jogging 75% of my route but I cannot manage without a few walk breaks - not yet. Im just doing 2 runs a week at the moment on orders of my osteopath. Another 2 weeks and I can up it to 3 runs per week providing I have no pain in my back or hips and she wont let me go over 5 miles at the moment.
  • Options

Hi everyone.... its official I am a geek!  I know people have mentionned it on here but I decided to run with it. Have started a page on facebook called tortoise tribe. Its going to be an information and forum for slow runners and anyone who likes the outdoors but isn't super fast.  If you'd like to "like" it I'm hoping it'll become an extra source of motivation and information exchange.

Need help to get it rolling though so if you'd like to have a look, like if you like it and tell you tortoise friends!

• Options

oops .. dont seem to be able to post a link here

• Options

I've only been going 3 weeks now, I'm very slow, and historically have been at the back of the pack (at schoold cross country etc) so am expecting no more of myself!!

Jacqueline - I agree with Dual Heritage.  What kind of beginner's programme is that??!!  My first week was only 15 mins of run 1 minute, walk 3, so to ask somebody to run for 15 non-stop straight off is a bit mad!!

I intend on looking up that Facebook page, see y'all on there image

• Options
    Glad this thread exists, I'm only up to running 2 miles at about 13 min mile pace! But I think taking it slowly is the key!! I went too fast and trained too hard over the summer and just injured myself. So resist the temptation now and just sticking to a plan and not thinking about speed but just enjoyment at the moment.
  • Options

Its a bit of a wierd thing to say on this thread I suppose but when running on my own I find myself running to fast and wearing myself out too soon, Its odd because when out running I dont feel that i'm going too fast (probably not to most normal peopleimage ) but to fast for me at my stage pushing 9-10 min miles I'm knackered by the 4 mile mark.

I have a friend trying to get me into shape for the marathon and running with him he insures I go at a steady pace around 11.5-12 min miles over 8-9 miles. Having a friend that really knows what they are doing has been a god send. My aim is to do the marathon at around 13 min miles but will probbanly take me a weekimage

• Options
    barry marshall 3, that makes sense to me. I have a fairly steady pace [side effect of running on a treadmill for too long] but recently started trying to stride out a bit more. I run faster but am knackered far quicker so on long runs and end up with the same average pace. suppose the answer is to do some longer runs at the slower pace but stilll do your faster pace because that'll help on race day.
  • Options
    hope everyone who have posted on here are fit and well its a shame the thread seems to have lost interest image good luck and take care.
  • Options

Lets try and get a bit more posting going on!

How's everyone getting on?  I've not run at all for a couple of months, but have a santa run a week on sun which i'm helping will give me a bit of a kickstart back in (although i'll probably have to run/walk it)

• Options

Angel, get a few practice sessions in this week and you'll feel better for the run!

• Options
    I wish I could, but i'm moving house today and the got to go to Canada for work Sunday-Saturday, so I don't think i'm going to have the opportunity.
  • Options

Wow, I'd grab the opportunity for a trot in Canada if I were you!

We're going to Spain over Christmas and I'm really looking forward to taking in some new scenery and doing some running over there!

Tricky though, admittedly, when you're moving house.  But you do need to have a break - maybe use it as an excuse to get away from all the boxes for half an hour an clear your head.

Whatever you can manage, good luck with the run next Sunday image

• Options

Thanks, i'm going to take my kit to Canada, but I found last time I went it never got used because I was getting up at 6 already to leave on time, then getting back about 6 at night, then taking the opportunity to get online to speak to my boyf before it was too late, then meeting people for dinner, then straight to bd shattered.  And it might be -10.

What's the temp like in Spain over xmas.  I imagine quite nice for running, chilly, but not as cold as here.  Whereabouts are you going?

• Options

Hi all,

I haven't posted much 'cos I haven't been running is almost two months.  So, its back to the beginning for me (again!).  I'm going to try and start doing a little running on pavements but a physio. at the club suggested I get to a running store to have my gait analysed.  I'm OK in the shoes I have (also from a proper running store) for the Common and treadmill, however, my knees usually take great offence at impacting with pavements - stabbing pains in each knee with every step.  But its winter time and I can only get up to the Common in the weekend.  Assuming I don't already have five other things planned and I'm sick of not being able to do 5 km (with stops) that the local running club offer.  In fact, I'm getting worse.

If anyone can recommend a running store who do gait analysis in London (Central, West, City and South West), that would be great.  I'm already aware of the London Marathon Store, but to be honest, I'm a little intimidated at showing them my lumbering self.

Thanks.

• Options
    Angel82 wrote (see)

What's the temp like in Spain over xmas.  I imagine quite nice for running, chilly, but not as cold as here.  Whereabouts are you going?

I don't know the exact temperatures but I gather it will be kind of late Spring-like.  We're going to Altea visiting the MIL who has a house over there.  Very la-dee-da!! image
  • Options
    This snow is doing my head in. Have had to have car dug out and pushed to go anywhere and the snow is too deep to run in. I tried running on treadmill but 2 miles is about my max because I get so bored.
    I had a challenge on to do most miles before Christmas and at this rate I am going to be miles behind every one else.... argh!
    Ok rant over. How's everyone else's training going?
  • Options

I wimped out of Monday and Wednesday's runs due to icy pavements (I mean, it didn't go above minus 6 on Monday!) and it just being too bliddy cold!!  However, a good friend got me out of my inevitablev slump this morning and dragged me round the block - I feel much better for it now.  Snow's not been too deep here, but the ice that was left is ruddy treacherous.

Cake, you have my sympathy.  I like running in snow, but not if I have to do constant knee-lifts to get through it!

Only a week till Spain!  Only a week till Spain!!  Only a week, only a week, only a week till Spaaaaaiin!!!!! imageimageimage

• Options
    Have fun in Spain, will be nice for you to get away from the ice for a bit.
  • Options

Hi All.

I am a slow runner who is finding it hard to increase his pace. I recently completed my first marathon in 6 hours and 27 minutes. It was tough going because the field was small and so many of the runners were sub 4 hour so i was running on my own for 90% of the race. I would like to do a few more marathons in 2011 but I am worried because a lot of the marathons I am interested in have a 6 hour cut off. I would love to run and feel i can break the 6 hour mark but desperately don't want to have to pull out middway through a race. I am physically fit but built like a rugby player so have a lot of weight to carry which is not ideal for long distances. Anyone have any ideas how I can reduce my time successfully?

• Options
    Well done on the Marathon Peter.  The best advise i've had about running faster is that you need to run faster!!  Work more intervals and tempo sessions into your training and do more shorter faster stuff.  Good luck.
  • Options
    how was everyone's christmas? I was in america [georgia to be exact] and we had crazy snow. I managed 28 miles first week which I was dead chuffed with because my mum lives on a mountain so my running consisted of up and down the mile long track to the road so half the run was very steep upwards.

Peter, well done on the marathon. I know it'd take me miles longer than that! I would just pick a race without the cut off. I've been advised to cut my distance and run shorter but faster runs to get my speed up so that's the only advice I can give you!
  • Options

Hi everyone

I can honestly post to this thread as I am very slow at the moment.

I went to the gym yesterday and managed 30 minutes on treadmill doing run 2 min/walk 1 min. The pace was 7.5Km/h or in plain English 4.5 mph, but as this is the start of my return to running as have not run since November, feeling happy to have plodded at all. 

• Options

Thanks Angel82 and @willrun4cake,

I started back running last week after a 3 week post marathon lay off. It has been really hard work but I think I have just about run off all that turkey and the last of the mince pies! I brought myself a Garmin GPS watch to track my pace and so far this has been a great help. I have been running mainly short runs at less than 3 miles but at pace and this seems to be helping both my fitness and overall pace. As my training miles get longer I will try to mix in a few short fast runs and run the longer ones at just less than my target pace for the marathon. The watch is good as it shows you when you are slacking (most of the time in my case) and gives you the motivation to run a little bit faster. I also plan to up my weekly mileage to build up my stamina. For my first marathon I ran about 38 miles in my heaviest week so this year I am going to try to increase that by 10. Obviously this will be done gradually over 16 weeks but i hope that along with the speed work my stamina and pace will increase. I have 4 marathons to complete this year so it is all a bit scary. This time last year I couldn't even walk upstairs without getting out of breath. If I can do it then honestly anyone can. A bit of effort and determination and you will succeed. Don't get too hung up on times just enjoy your first marathon.If like me you get the marathon bug then there will be many more opportunities to improve on your time. Enjoy your training, run safe and I hope you all meet your goals!

• Options

Hi all,

Well, I'm slowly (operative word that one) - starting to get back into running.  I've barely done anything since my one and only 10K back in September.  Crawled my way around that and promptly got a nasty chest infection that took until well after Christmas to shake.  Just in time to get an ankle problem.  Still not sure if its an achilles, bone spur or just my every-day hiking boots that have been comfortable for ages, now not so comfortable.  So, hop-a-long me is very, VERY unfit.

I tried a couple of times running with the club but there's not stamina there.  I know that will come in time, but didn't really need on one of the few times I tried with the club, one of the coaches (one I don't usually see) telling me "come on, keep going" about two miles into a run when my chest felt like it was about to pop.  I know he thought he was encouraging me, but I just wanted to punch him (I restrained myself).

Anyway, last Sunday I ran solo (the same route as the 3 mile for the club) and they passed me once or twice, but I managed 3 x 10 minute bits of solid running.  Its my favourite route and one I know well enough that I can judge how I'm going.  I find as long as I can get to 10 minutes, then I stand a chance (the "toxic 10" as I once heard it so truly described).  On this one, I know if I get to X point, then its going OK, or if its really going well, to X point and say, another two trees further.  Took a very short breather, then down to the next regular stopping point.  I had a bit of a struggle to the third point, walked a bit over the uneven ground and then ran the last section which includes a steady hill without stopping.  For that section (the hill), I've started counting - every 10 steps, up to 100, 200, etc., then I know that between 700-800 steps I'm at the end of the run.  Its not much, but its a start - and more importantly, I enjoyed it.  So, fingers crossed, I'll get back into this.

Hope everyone is well and take care.

• Options

Hi JJ10,

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you, i've bone barely anything since my 5 mile race in September.  Wet out for a 30 min walk/run last night, planning to do the same tomorrow, rally need to get back into it.  Really annoyed with myself for letting all the fitness i'd built up go (and puttuing back on the weight i'd lost). 

Your run sounds good.  I'd say if you enjoy running on your own more than with the club just do that for a bit to get going again.

• Options

Hi everyone

So glad I found this thread.  I've signed up for a 10k which I'm beginning to think is a mistake but I really want to do it.   The most I've ever run (extreeeemely slowly) is ten minutes then I walked for 3 mintues (didn't mean to but time flies when you're walking) then managed another five of running.

I am a bit worried about coming in last by half an hour at this race but my aim is to finish.  I think I could walk the distance in 1hr30mins so that is my goal.  I do sometimes feel I run slower than I walk. 

I tried to up my training once I signed up for the race but then got sore shins so I think I'll just have to be a real tortoise and go extra slowly and not get carried away. Int raining I probably cover only a few kms so I've got a long way to go.  I guess as it's my first race it's an automatic PB though!