Are there any slow beginners out there?

12345679»

Comments

• When's your race Abi?  Good luck.
  • Thanks, Angel82!

It's on the 14th May which seems at the same time ages and no time at all. I was hoping to try a run today but I don't know if I should or not.  My leg seemed fine until I walked up the stairs. image

My last run was on Sunday and I went with a friend who wasn't interested in stretching afterwards, more in the ice cream. I think I will blame her!

• Maybe you could go go for a walk in your running gear and just try running a bit to see if it hurts, and if it does just walk it.
  • I'm glad you said that, I'd forgotten I was planning to go out. I've been eating chocolate and nattering with my friend all afternoon.  I'll go now and let you know image
  • imagemy shin was sore during warm up so I thought I'd go for a bike ride but I haven't touched my bike for two years and it has two flat tyres. I found a pump but it didn't seem to do anything and now I'm all hot and bothered from carrying the bike up and down the stairs so that will have to count as exercise. image
  • I moved in November and haven't even brought my bike round from my parents house yet!
  • I'm feeling a bit less grumpy today.  I'm still worried that I've been stupid by signing up for a race I'm not ready for. I was hoping to run three times a week leading up to it but I think that's unrealistic. My new plan is twice per week, very gently, with a very slow increase in mileage, if at all. If I get to the start line in good condition and get round the route without hurting myself (or anyone around me image) that will have to be enough. Today I don't feel like a runner just a fraud but I will keep trying!
  • There's no shame in walk/running the race Abi.  I walk ran a 5 mile race that I was nowhere near ready for last june.  And din't come last (there was only a couple of people behind me, but it was a small field and lots of club runners).  I then ran a 5 mile race in September no faster image
  • I've drawn a picture of a tortoise and keep it by my computer to remind me it's ok to be slow and steady.  Or just slow. I'm encouraged by your comments! I shall have an ice cream at the cinema tonight in your honour image

• That sounds like a good plan.  I hope it's ben and jerrys.
  • Hope that someone replies to this request for help.  I am now totally blind and need help to start running again.  I am in the tortoise section and 40 something too.  I have applied to do next years marathon and am a member of St. Dunstans, a charity for serving and ex members of the services.  I desparately need to guide to help with training.  Anyone on Anglesey in the Holyhead area willing to help? 
  • Hi Kerry

I think you might have more luck posting again in one of the other forums.  I don't know how many people read this thread. Perhaps you should post in the general forum as a call out for anyone in your area. 

I do hope you find a guide and please continue to post in here as more tortoises are always welcome.

• Hi Abi

Thanks for your help but how do I do that.  Not just a beginner to running but this site as well.

Good luck with the running.  It's no shame in being a tortoise either.  Since I lost my sight two years ago I have to go slow n steady.  I am just happy to get round to the finish even if it is my knees lol.  Don't give up hun.  All the best.

• Hi all,

There was a cracking article in RW  a few months (maybe years back).

It was when one of the editors or columnists met an ex marine or someone like that in ex forces.

Anyway, long story short, it never phased him if for whatever reason he couldn't achieve decent times or even be able to finish a race. The point is be realistic about what you want to achieve. And if you don't achieve it there's always next time.

Just enjoy it. image

• Hi Webby and Abi

Thought I would let you know I am now in touch with local athletics club and may be on my way to acheiving my dreams.  The great south run is my first event in October and then the London Marathon next year. 

Just being able to participate is enough for me.  I am not out to prove anything to myself or anyone else.  Just want to have fun.  Just because I am blind doesn't mean I can't try.  My motto in life is to try at anything I want to do.  It is better to try and fail than never try at all.  At least I will have made the effort. 

Anyway, for us tortoises, slow and steady usually succeeds. 

Lots of love to you all and good luck in all your dreams.  image

• Hi Kerry

That's great news! Please keep in touch with your progress. Did you hear about the Comic Relief Desert Trek this year? Peter White, a radio broadcaster who is blind, took part.  He was awesome and kept going with some of the most awful blisters imaginable.

I'm also trying to try at things rather than give up before I've even started.  I've been feeling a bit stupid about entering a race in May but I'm going to go for a run tomorrow and just keep doing what I can.

Thanks also, Webby, for your encouragement. It's cheered me up too.

Angel82 - how are you?

• Hi Abi, I'm good thanks, not been on that much this week as i'm got a couple of weeks off work.  How's the training going?
  • Hello all another tortoise here, trying to run three times weekly but the pollen count is putting paid to this so far this week.
  • HIYA

I've been out for a run on each of the bank holidays and it was lovely.  I don't know if it counts particularly as training as it wasn't very far or for very long but As they say, every little helps.

Pixiep - sorry to hear the pollen is stopping you. Does it affect your breathing?

I've just had a complete Doh! moment at work and will have to confess to my boss that I've made lots of extra work for everyone and it could have been completely avoided.

• Well done on the bank holiday runnig Abi.  I hope your boss wasn't too annoyed. I've just had two weeks off where I intended to get back into the running, but it didn't really happen.
  • I must have looked pretty worried as my boss was relieved it wasn't a bigger mistake - he didn't think it was too bad and it all got sorted out. Storm in a tea cup.

I skipped my run on monday as my leg was sore (that's not to say I skipped for half an hour image) but I swam instead.  I'll try to run on Friday and do something next week and then it's Totally Unprepared For The Race Day!

• That's good then.  I'm sure the atmosphere and all the other people will help you round the race.
  • I did it!!!!!!

I almost chickened out when I saw the finish was at the top of a hill but I did and it was really fun.  People were really friendly and I was in the slow group so lots of people were walking and shiffling along.

I took 1 hour 22 minutes and 48 seconds and I'm so pleased!

• Also, thanks for the encouragement and support, it really helped!
  • Well done Abi glad you enjoyed it.