Cardiff Half-Marathon 2010

Comments

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    Croups Runner wrote (see)
    This isn't the first cock up they've made of this event, how many years of trying do they need to get it right. The organisers just aren't up to the job. My girlfriend ran a "PB" by over 6 mins which put her well inside the 90 min qualifying time for London, but now it was for nothing, as a result the training, the entry fee (or mortgage) and the day have all been wasted. When will you next get such perfect conditions with temperature and basically no wind?

But surely (and hopefully) London will recognise that if she was so far within. I would hope so.

A PB by 6 mins is a huge leap though with sub 1.30 times, how did that happen?  I know Cardiff is flat but still!

Hi Kittenkat,

I am the girlfriend whose PB you are questioning. 

First of all, London accepts only ratified results, not roughly calculated results.

If you know anything about training, you might know that hard work gives amazing results. My previous half marathon was in March of this year in Berlin. I did not have a good race that day and ran 1.31.25. I put a lot of time, work, dedication and heart into running a sub 1.30 in the Cardiff half and I ran an amazing race that I didn't even think I could run.

I also went from running a 3.46 marathon in Stockholm to running a 3.23 in Edimburgh, to 3.17 to 3.09 on my last one... HOW?  I took it more seriously, I trained hard and I gave it all I had... So it really bugs me that you should question my hard earned improvement!!

Maybe if you tried doing the same, you will discover that you too can improve your time significantly!!

Good luck on your next one. Hopefully it will be better organized than yesterday's joke!

• I have to admit I would have been absolutely gutted if I had run a PB yesterday to find that the organisers had cocked it up........rough estimates wouldn't wash with me......either the officials accept it as a half or it is not accepted......either the time stands or its worthless........just a good training run.......

I hope that al runners get another chance shortly

• kittenkat wrote (see)

So it really bugs me that you should question my hard earned improvement!!

Maybe if you tried doing the same, you will discover that you too can improve your time significantly!!

Chill, I'm on the Championship start so I'm not talking out of my arse.

ooohhhh...

LOL

it aways helps when you know something about the people you address on a forum... hahaha

• I think the most irritating thing is that they claim the problems arose over night as by magic when the previous poster had seen the scaffolding last wednesday.  Lots of time to extend the course at the finish and problem easily solved as all of lloyd george avenue closed clod both ways.
  • 'You may or may not live through this emotional experience'

I think I'll survive this one, thanks. I was just expressing what it felt like to train hard for 4 months and then realise your PB isnt an official PB. I feel more for CroupsRunners's girlfriend - I ran most of the race either just ahead or just behind them and saw how well she ran and what she put into it.
  • I am not saying that you are talking out of your arse, I am just saying that you should know better than to question a hard earned PB, legitimately run, with lots of time, energy, dedication and soul invested into it.

I too would love for everyone to be able to use their Cardiff half time for championship, you should know that the reality is London will not sit and do guesstimates about people's times and there is no reason why they should either. It is up to Cardiff organizers to GET A CLUE and take the event and people's time and money seriously. What is the most important aspect of a race? DISTANCE, if you cannot even get the distance right, everything else counts for nothing... and considering that this is not the first time they are organizing the event, and that as you say, it is not rocket science, they should have learned how to do it by now.

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    Nam wrote (see)
    kittenkat wrote (see)

So it really bugs me that you should question my hard earned improvement!!

Chill, I'm on the Championship start so I'm not talking out of my arse.

ooohhhh...

LOL

it aways helps when you know something about the people you address on a forum... hahaha

Eh?

Sorry hun, to clarify, I thought it was amusing for someone to make such a patronising remark along the lines of "if you trained more you'd know" whilst having no idea of your running speed & achievements and in tis case misfired a little considering it was you who she picked.  image
  • KK - was about to text you then realised only landline transferred to new phone, text me. x
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)

A PB by 6 mins is a huge leap though with sub 1.30 times, how did that happen?  I know Cardiff is flat but still!

kittenkat wrote (see)
    You may or may not live through this emotional experience.
    Uncalled for on both counts IMO. Oh hang on, you're quite quick.  That's OK then.
  • What's all this about a towel/flannel?  No t-shirt either!

I paid £38, got to run a very poor, overcrowded course, that was not even a half marathon and all I got was a medal and a bottle of water!!!

It's the 3rd time I've run this and every time I leave with the same opinion, Cardiff is not big enough to host a half marathon, and certainly not a half marathon with supposedly 15000 runners.

• If you don't enjoy it why have you gone back three times?? or am i missing your point.
  • I ran on Sunday and really enjoyed the day.  The weather was perfect, the scenery was beautiful and varied and I ran faster than I thought I could and got a time I was pleased with.  I was really happy after finishing!

But then to discover that the course was short makes it feel invalid!  It was my first half marathon and now it seems I still haven't officially done one!  Months of training to run a short race, gutted. 

Just googled and found this:  http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/10/19/anger-at-half-marathon-distance-blunder-91466-27498408/

I will run again next year because I really enjoyed the course and it is close to where I live but come ON, get the bloody distance right.  Last minute alteration or not, as other posters have said they could have easily extended down Lloyd George Avenue to make up the distance.  I think the organisers should give those of us who ran it this year a discount for next year to give us the chance to run the full race.

• What race were you running Bonjour? I didn't pay £38...... I do agree with you regarding the flannel. 

The food bars were nice though and the medal lovely.

I do feel for the people who were relying on their time to qualify for London, and although it does not matter to me, I think the cock up with the distance is in-excusable. Especially if the scaffolding had been there since Wednesday. 

• I agree that they should give us a chance to do it again next year at a reduced cost.
  • Flat Footed wrote (see)
    If you don't enjoy it why have you gone back three times?? or am i missing your point.

1. Because it's convenient.

2. Because I raise money for charity.

3. Because you hope/expect that they would eventually get it right.

• runnersbeen wrote (see)

What race were you running Bonjour? I didn't pay £38...... I do agree with you regarding the flannel. 

The food bars were nice though and the medal lovely.

I do feel for the people who were relying on their time to qualify for London, and although it does not matter to me, I think the cock up with the distance is in-excusable. Especially if the scaffolding had been there since Wednesday. 

Sorry, typo - £28

Where were these flannels and food bars then?  I literally finished, walked a bit and got given a medal, then picked up a bottle of water from the stacks and put my chip in a bin.  Didn't see anything else.

• goody bags were near the chip bins, not sign posted i dont think...can't remember....
  • There seemed to be an 'official' exit straight ahead of the finish, and a smaller exit to the left towards the baggage claim. I went out of the smaller exit and noticed everyone had goodie bags so went back to get one. I suspect that a barrier had been opened by a runner, spectator or emergency vehicle and not replaced.

I'd be quite glad if my time was invalid as it wasn't very good. image

• It was very congested (and I was knackered) so maybe I walked past them..  I would have liked a t-shirt to save me buying training tops - somebody mentioned they were selling them for £15? 

• They are still selling them on the website.  We only found the goody bag because we went searching.
  • I didn't run this but would like to add my own views. I looked at the route map out of interest and going on my basic knowledge of Cardiff the start finish area were on a straight. Surely the timing mats are easy to move as they are basically led on the floor. Granted they would have had to measure the incorrect part & if this was more than a few metres out then the times would still be irrelevant. Probably easier not to try and rectify the error & then just apologise after the event although this only seemed to happen once the distance had been questioned (I suppose mentioning it at the start would have been a no-go for obvious reasons)

Bideford half marathon had a distance error a couple of years ago when a marshalling error led people the wrong way & made the race a few hundreds yards longer. They admitted the error straight away with a heartfelt apology & therefore runners appreciated there honesty. For that reason I would do that one again.

Living over the bridge in Bristol I have entered the Bristol half on numerous occasions, after a few years of runners getting seriously annoyed they bucked up there ideas. 12,000 entries with unmarshalled pens has now changed into waves (A considerable number of) with a good time gap in between them starting. A simple change has made a mediocre race into a very good one.

Any race with a few thousand entries should have waves as standard

• Majors wrote (see)

Any race with a few thousand entries should have waves as standard

agreed.
  • According to the BBC the oganisers have stated that it was officially 193m (0.12 miles) short.