Options

The SNOD ultra runnig thread

Comments

• Options

FR - I keep a bit quiet about that, because of the massive challenge I know it will be - not so much doing it on the day, but the training needed to get in shape for it. With the beginning of this year being hampered with those 'niggles' we're talking about. I must confess to having second thoughts as to whether I can manage said niggles and prevent them becoming more serious - particularly knee and achilles. They would both need to be in good shape to step up the effort needed to do a Paddy Buckley. There is also home life management! Two of my kids are 'difficult' and I need to be around to help the missus manage them! - Bla bla - I know.

I'll take each event as it comes, and to be honest until I've completed the L50 and may be the Fellsman or something similar, I won't know if it's possible. I haven't written it off though, not just yet.

• Options
    One of our old timer club members has done a few races like that - Mega distances on a track - outdoor and indoor type things and other longer track events - Ill have to catch up with him and find out a bit more detail!
  • Options
    I Was in TK-Max Sunday treating myself to a bit of everyday wear - There was a pair of Walsh 'fashion runners' I honesstly couldn't make out whether they were fashion only, or retro useable runners? Anyway i opted for a pair of Converse baseball boots much more the job for treadig the carpets at work. Never tried Walsh on the hill -  but can vouch for Inov8 F-lites in the bone dry (Osmo) and also for fast descending on wet rock (Cader Idris race) I'm thinking they'll be what I'm wearing for L-50 rain or shine - They seem to be easier on my Achilles problem. Off to check out Perth 24 hourimage
  • Options

Corn flour -you gonna run on 'em or eat 'em?

• Options
    An honest question FR - What happens to the Corn flower when your feet get wet/sweaty? doesn't it turn into some sort of pastry?
  • Options

would think it would turn to some sort of glue.........image

going to be nice not to do a long run this weekendimage

• Options
    Bon appetite FR! - I'm only going to be able to get something half-arsed done before the day, I may go and do something Thursday night that takes me into the dark for a couple of hours - to get used to headtorch etc - something I haven't used since winter mountaineering days.
  • Options
    I experienced a bit of that in the Osmo FR in daylight - I knew I was bearing wrong across fields heading to wood after Locker Wood Frm ( I figured using landscape features to my left and correcting my self once I'd covered the open easy running ground ) would be as quick as fishing out my map etc - I had a little laugh to myself when I noticed THREE runners were following me into an obvious dead end! It was maps outall round once they realised. Looking back I should have referred to the map - it would have been slightly quicker than hand railing on that kind of ground.
  • Options
    FR - Not wanting to tempt fate etc - but I'm trying to work out a rough pace for myself for the L50 . Looking at slowest time figures on the L50 site - If I halved them, it gives me 12 hours - I did HP 40 in 8hrs thin comparison I know - but what do you reckon on 12? in reasonable weather
  • Options

3hrs 20mins finish then - a star is born!image I know you mean 14mm - No worries the ground will be unfamiliar underfoot in running shoes for sure, and you're right Finishing is my No1 goal - but it's nice to have 'something in the back of your mind' I'll run it as I do by how I feel on the day, with no rush for glory at any point. I was probably in good shape to get a sub 6 standing at the last checkpoint a Osmo in 4hr 35min. But there was no way I was going to blow it by being too greedy. 

• Options
    Marvellous Mimi you've got some company there then FR
  • Options
    You can pick up some Corn Flower!
  • Options

I'm alternating between excited and petrified.............imageimage

I have trained for this one to a certain degree for 2 months.............my last ultra I entered a s a spur of the moment thing 3 days before when someone else dropped out..............so I should finish this one.............but I'm sure I will want to just go to sleep in the middle of the night..........Is having a 10 min catnap at a checkpoint an option????

• Options
    thanks FR.........I can see the logic in quick Cp and will aim for that..............but I know sometimes when driving long distances i have to stop and catnap for 10 or 15 mins when i get too tired and this is enough for me to carry on the journey fine..............just might keep that as an option if I find myself dozing off whilst running...image