Two Bridges 35

SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
This is a great race, is there anybody who is still thinking about entering, but is not quite sure whether this is the race for them?

Comments

• Hello again Shades, after the DD I'm certainly aiming to be there - need to sort out travel and place to stay etc (good photo' of you in RW by the way).

Unlike the DD I understand that there are no serious hills apart from having to cross the Forth Road Bridge towards the end? Could vetigo be a problem?

Good luck for the Potteries (shall be running at Edinburgh and then the following week at Blackpool).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nice to hear from you again Graham. I will be at Blackpool, so may see you there.

Re course for Two Bridges, there is a long climb at about 21 miles, then undulating after that. Forth Road Bridge is fun to run over, but of course the 1st half of it is uphill!! Vertigo could be a problem, it is very high up from the water, doesn't bother me, I'm too tired to care at that time. Once you come off the bridge there's only a couple of miles to go. Are you going to drive to Scotland?
  • Haven't made final plans yet - am thinking of flying up (Easyjet) on Friday and pick up a hire car at Edinburgh. Probably fly back on Sunday.

Presumably similar arrangements apply re depositing of food and drinks before the race (again will not have any supporters on the day)?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Re drinks etc., yes exactly as DD. The race HQ is at Rosyth, we get on a bus and are taken to the start at Dunfermline, and finish at Rosyth. We stay in a hotel in Inverkeithing, a couple of miles from venue, and usually go to race HQ on the Friday night, meals available at a very reasonable price to runners, and a chance to catch up on gossip etc. A lot of experienced ultra runners there, talking about 24hr/6 day races etc, very interesting, all very friendly.
  • Hi Graham Funny, I remember the last 15 miles of 2-Bridges as being hilly, but I suspect not as severe as DD. At 2 Bridges I suffered a bad energy crash so walked all the hills after the marathon point anyway.
    Have fun.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Timothy, you're doing this race this year, aren't you?
  • Have to say I've learned a lot by speaking to some of the more experienced ultra-runners, very useful learning of other peoples experiences, tales of 24 hour races though - feel tired just listening to some of them.

I'll look up the Two Bridges web site for more info - in meantime am still very much in recovery mode (am missing out on my normal Tuesday night session to go to the opera - hope I can stay awake - am far away from the stage though that if I happen to snore I shouldn't distract the performers).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nobody on this website ever goes running anymore!!

I got up early today to run, but decided to do some housework instead!! Graham's going to the opera, Liz has been working since 4 a.m. to meet her deadline, I think Timothy may have put in a few miles though.
  • Hi Tim, would be good to meet you if you are at the TB's (are you going to be at Blackpool) - we were both at 3 Forts but I sloped off soon afterwards (have you any experienc of the Fairlands Valley Challenge and/or the Downland Challenge).
  • Sorry Shades, not doing 2 Bridges this year. Graham, I am doing Blackpool (you'll be there too won't you Shades?)
    Sorry Graham. haven't done the Fairlands valley or the Downland challange (unless you mean the Compton Harriers race in March)
    Yes, I did 8 miles this morning.
    I won't run tomorrow though.
  • Not quite correct Shades, managed to do 4 very easy miles on Sunday and would have run last night but opted for an energetic stroll (around Bluewater) instead. Legs feel good now - would much prefer to be out running tonight (a nice afternoon here) but I promised Jose Carreras I'd go watch his outdoor recital at Hampton Court Palace, he might be miffed if I let him down for a sneaky off roader.

A steady 12 miler planned for tomorrow (from Whitechapel in London's East End via Tower Bridge, Greenwich and Blackheath to Bromley), an easy interval session (putting in a few strides) for Thursday then 2 days rest and refuelling ahead of Edinburgh on Sunday.
  • Ooh, Hampton Court, how lovely. I used to live in Twickenham, in those days as a schoolboy I cycled lots of laps round Richmond Park
  • Tim, was referring to the Downland Challenge in West Sussex on 27 July, it's a 30 mile event virtually all off road.
  • Its possible, but unlikely. Hopefully I'm doing the Rottingdean Windmills marathon but have to be in Glos. the 27th, but I might get to do the half.
    That's almost a rest day isn't it!!
    Graham, do you know Gil John?
  • I was looking at Rottingdean, early start though at 8:00 a.m. - not too long a drive for me but will mean having to go down the night before.

Can't say I know a Gil John, I'm based in and around North West Kent/South East London but don't participate very much these days in locally based events. Have moved on from my old club - prefer to travel about a bit now, new challenges, new faces etc - needed a change and a new challenge to get my running going again hence the step up to ultras.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Graham

I have done Fairlands Valley once, off road, self navigate, nice event but took me over 5 hours to drive home (got stuck on M25), so am not planning to do it again, however, it is one of my reserve races should I miss any planned ones. Never done Downland Challenge, when you log on RW website that's the picture on Home page, it looks a bit hot. Timothy, I will be at Blackpool and Rottingdean though, nice event that, it was hot there too!! Rumour is it's the last Rottingdean.
  • Shades, there is a Rottingdean thread, several people have said its the last one and I also heard that when I did 3 Forts.
    Graham, Gil lives near Crawley and seems to know every marathon runner around, you must be the exception!! Lake V. was his 205th.
    Pam, his partner is doing Comrades this weekend.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    My mate Peter Hart is doing Comrades too. do you know him Timothy? He's done IOW about 30 times and Two Bridges 25 times!!
  • Tim - Including the DD I've only run 16 marathons (the first was London 2000). Am starting to recognise (and exchange greetings) with a few familiar faces so I must have seen the people you mentioned at one event or another. Must say I enjoy the friendship and camaraderie of the Marathon and ultra-distance circuit as well as the added challenge.

After Edinburgh and Blackpool am having an easier week away from competing (my curent regime is to have three hard weeks followed by an easier/steady week) - am looking for longish races to do on the 6th, 13th and 20th July, have earmarked Bewl 15, Rottingdean and Fairlands. After that I'm not sure - am due a holiday late July/early August (Helsinki Marathon perhaps?).

Two Bridges is however the next real step as part of preparations for London to Brighton.

• paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hallo people BOING! found it - shall now read
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    When are you going to do this race Paskha?
  • Does this mean there will be a WRN team?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Graham

No, I don't think Liz has any serious plans to go this year, but I'm sure she will one day. I expect I will run under my 1st Claim (Teignbridge Trotters, who made up about 10% of the field for DD). However, in the not to distant future I think the WRN will soon pick up many of the ladies team prizes as it is nationwide, as is the RRC, so you can run in a team never having met or heard of your fellow team members. Do you just run under RRC now?

Following your advice last week on pre race diet, and it was effective, I've just taken the white bread out the freezer. A scone (no spread) and malt loaf for mid morning snacks today. It looks like it's going to be hot for the Potteries on Sunday.

Have you sorted out your accommodation yet for Scotland?

• Hi Shades - the RRC was my first club. Although I subsequently joined a local club, Gravesend Roadrunners, this was mainly for social purposes - don't run with them now, decided when renewing the RRC membership, to revert back to the RRC. I quite like the set up within the RRC and some interesting and experienced characters there - enjoy meeting fellow club members at events even though they may be from the other end of the country.

Hope the Potteries is not too warm for you all, will help if it's an early start - Edinburgh kicks off at 9:30 (I think - ought to check that!).

Still need to sort out accomodation for Scotland - will get on and do that. Am off to the races today - fly up to Edinburgh tomorrow. Shall look forward to seeing how you go at the Potteries - have a goood run.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, forgot you were doing Edinburgh, do let us know what it's like, the ballot entry put me off entering, but might consider it for next year. It should be a little cooler up there, you could drive round the Two Bridges course if you have time (and a car of course).

I think I told you before I helped put together the RRC race directory, it was in jeopardy until Kam (Registrar RRC) offered to take over, I offered to help her and phoned all the race organisers that had failed to respond to the mailshot. Good organisation RRC.

Don't lose too much money at the races!!
  • The RRC directory is very much appreciated.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It's like my bible, I couldn't imagine trying to arrange my running 'year' without it.

• paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    SHADES - there is a thread under GENERAL that needs you - Title "3 in 3 days" THE TRIPLE and logistics thereof - told 'em I've gone to fetch you!!

I am seriously considering selling the motorbike so I can get to IOM & Two Bridges - not sure yet - difficult year (aren't they all??!!) James is 18 in August - Joe is starting Secondary schooling ...

would solve immediate financial malaise
  • Shades - lost heavily at Sandown Park and drowned my sorrows afterwards, flew up to Edinburgh more than a little hung over. Recovered for Sunday though, quite a hilly course except miles 9 to 19 along the promenade (directly into a strong but cooling breeze) then through the docks etc - worst bit was the final hill within the last mile or so - managed to overtake a dozen or so people on that hill and crossed the line in 3:07:00. Great atmosphere and good support all around - the finish was in the Meadowbank Stadium with a good sized crowd. Sports massage afterwards and legs feeling fine. Still aiming to be at Blackpool.

Had a good view of the route of the Two Bridges flying in and out of Edinburgh.