Eating to improve

Comments

• Gyraffe wrote (see)

Sorry this wasn't meant to be all about me - I thought it would be helpful to lots of peeps but has become rather self indulgent. Me me me! image

Definitely helpful Waff.....I am lurking and taking it all in after the tri coach intimated that I could do with losing some weight!  I have now started keeping a food diary just to see where I am going wrong.....apart from the tooooo much alcohol and therefore may need to join AA.image
  • I only drink if surrounded by black & yellow ..........

The summer is hell, them wapsies get everywhere   image
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    broad bean and prawn pillau is fab - and dead easy to make

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    yum - I've got a garden full of broad beans - what else is in that FB - sounds better than the minty one
  • flyaway wrote (see)

At the risk of asking a personal Q (feel free not to answer if you dont want to) are you sure your digestive "issues" were due to too much fibre, or too little?

Thanks for the cooking tips - all good stuff. As for this I am not sure about anything - at first I thought it was from not drinking enough water, or that I was eating too much fruit, or dairy. I ate porridge every day for a couple of months last year and got to a point where I was having multiple emergency stops during a long run. Drinking gallons of water and eating lots of toast seems to have helped - but it's not under control by any means.
    debbs - we use an old Sophie Grigson recipe - but this is very similar. we don't bother with the raita bit
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    FB - thanks - I'll try that, and I'll leave out the raita too - BtS is a fussy thing and won't eat cucumber
    we normally slap a chilli in as well - but then I do have rather a lot in the freezer! in fact we slap a chilli into most things - and loads more growing this year
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

there is NEVER a wrong time for cake.

Slow cookers are brill for healthy lazy high volume cooking. I just made 5 meals of mushroom curry from one batch.

I disagree Nick - i'm no great fan of cake. sure I'll eat it but I can just as easily leave it. cheese however is a different matter
  • Another vote for a slow cooker...

We chuck some nice lean meat in, or a bit of chicken, along with some fresh chopped veg, a bit of stock, and a few herbs to add some flavour, and switch it on before work... takes just a few mins... and return home to not only a nice meal, but have the pleasure of opening the back door to a house full of lovely homely smell!

Serve up with a few new pots, or a jacket pot stuck in the oven on a timer...  really easy, really tasty and very healthy..

And so many variations.... from stews, casserolles, curries, chilli con carnes, soups, etc etc etc...

One of things forgotten about a slow cooker is that it 'sweats' the fats out of joints, and you end up with a lovely lean joint without having to resort to the the most expensive cuts... try lamb on the bone, with just a tea cup of water in the bottom, and a bit of chopped mint in the water... its heavenly!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Tin of cold baked beans followed by tin of cold rice pudding, both straight out of the tin, lick spoon, put away.

No washing up no cooking and all the food groups covered.

yumtastic
  • I have to agree with you there Bassy but not every day ... I like a bit of variety 
  • Go with Semolina and spaghetti hoops to add a bit of interest
  • spaghetti hoops are vile and so is semolina, I do however like tapioca
  • Cold hot dogs out of the tin are nice too.
  • Gyraffe,

I am currently working on a nutrition plan which I can send you the first two weeks of plus recipes if you want?

Also, I plan my meals, write a shopping list and def utilise my freezer.  I always have fish in there - mackerel, salmon or cod - take out, into a pyrex dish, add herbs, pepper and lemon juice, cover and microwave for about 4-6mins depending on size. 

Served with all the usuals of rice, couscous, pots and veg etc.  Couscous is SO easy - chuck in a bowl, add enough boiling water to just cover the grains, cover with a lid. Leave for 5mins til the water has absorbed.  Add 1 tsp olive oil and a bit of salt (good esp in this heat) and eat. Yum!

Tesco also do lovely frozen multigrain pain rustique bread rolls.  Keep in freezer, about 6mins in a pre-heated oven and lovely warm healthy bread  to accompany meals!

Frozen berries are great too - defrost in microwave and make smoothies with a mango and banana and a bit of OJ or heat them up and have with plain yoghurt and mixed seeds (pumpkin, linseed, seseame, sunflower).

I could go on......Luckily, I have just eaten so am not tempted to go and stuff my face! image

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Bassy - I'm surprised you can cycle so fast, eating that - bleurgh
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    I disagree Nick - i'm no great fan of cake. sure I'll eat it but I can just as easily leave it. cheese however is a different matter
    cheesecake....simple innit?
  • getting away from his own parping I reckon! image
  • This is great waff image (although am glad I also just ate or would be feeling rather hungry!)

I live by myself and find it more convenient to cook for 2/4 and freeze the remainder which means home cooked food is just a defrost away but I've been losing inspiration recently - getting a bit mored of making the same old things. I find it hard to contemplate hot food when it's so warm as well!

• I agree re the slow cooker, as I like the flexibility about when we can eat in the evening.

Also we use a few cook books and plan meals for the week, do the shopping from the list of ingredients.(rather like Rach) I'm not saying the food bill is any cheaper as we eat decent, organic, free range etc but there is little waste and no emergency scoffing as I know in advance what we're having each evening.

When I was a student way back two of us lived on £5 a week food (breakfasts and evening meals), we worked aout a menu which went something like:

Monday- Spaghetti bolognaise (we used the cheapest mince which had a percentage of soya)

Tuesday- remaining bolognaise plus red kidney beans and chilli powder to have chilli and rice

Wedensday- last bits of chilli done with baked potatoes(properly in oven)

Thursday- having done enough potatoes previous night, re-heat and have with beans or tuna and cheese

Friday- we both headed to our respective homes to scrounge veg from the garden and Liz's mum had a rowntrees card for reject kit kats and peanut butter.

The other thing we always did was eat before going shopping that stopped us piling in perishables and sweet things.

• I also think that in using cook books we have got a large selection of spices and things like sun-dried tomatoes, olives, etc that I would not ever consider buying, but get because the recxcipe says so. The tastes do end up being very varied as a result.
  • I also make up my own dressings for salads and they freshen up a mutitude of meals

Oil and Balsamic based and chuck in whatever you want to flavour it and leave in the kitchen
  •  Yeah you can improve the taste of anything by chucking some olive oil on it, I even fry the bacon and eggs for my butties in it, that's how posh I am.
  • Thats cos you moved house and upmarket innit
  • Am starting to realise that my diet was pretty damn good a few years back....... risottos, curries, fresh grilled fish with cous cous and home grown vegetables, asparagus and wild rice. Salads with balsamic vinegar and olive oil......... peppers stuffed with fennel and tomatoes.....vegetable lasagne cooked 8 servings at a time and frozen for emergencies. Now I come to think of it we even used to make our own bread every other day - it had pumpkin seeds in and everything.......

Rach - yes please - I need some new ideas to inspire me to get back in the kitchen. image

so you need to look at where/why it went wrong and correct it Waff.

for most I think it's a time issue especially when you're training and your needs are not focused on cooking after a hard session and when you mostly can't be arsed. but I think we've shown that you can cook good balanced food quickly, you just need to make the effort and the time

we sometimes have to rein ourselves in during the week when we seem to end up cooking something that takes way too long - that's just bad planning.

here's another quick healthy meal - kedgeree - fish and eggs for protein, rice for carbs. and bloody lovely as well
  • Rather enjoying this foodie thread.  the lamb in slow cooker with mint sounds divine.  Like Waff, I CBA at the mo and tend to spend no more than 5mins in the kitchen.  Also find living on tod I end up throwing soooo much food away, especially fresh veg.  Who on earth wants a full cauliflower or pack of carrots?  am currently trying to make my way thru an entire lettuce.  Has been salad for dinner and lunch the last few days - getting a bit bored of it now though!
    salad leaves?? add a tin of tuna, some french beans, hard boiled eggs, new spuds, olives, and dress with a garlic mayo dressing and you have a salad nicoise. easy peasy and very nutritious