24 hour race in belfast

Comments

• FF you sound to have a good base fitness and like myself I was aiming to have a go at something like this next year but when this event became available something in me said go for it to see if I could do it.recently I have not done a lot of long runs and relying on miles I did for the ultra and 2 marathons i did since april.

As for the the format for round the track,i havent a clue but im sure it will be simple to sort out

My opinion FF is go for it,you know it will eat away at you if you dont.The way I look at it if I cant do it then you pack up and go home since you wont be miles from anywher

• Go for it FF!  The beauty of a track race is that it is like running on a treadmill - if you are suffering you can just step off at any time.  It's not like other ultras where you could have to walk 10 miles to the nearest checkpoint to bale out.

Have a go with the view that it is a fact finding mission for next year's proper effort image

• Yes FF go for if that we buzz is telling you to do it you must image the thing for me is no pressure in the lead up to 10ks,half and full marathons we all somehow get caught up in the I must PB way of thinking with this you can just run/walk as slow as you like image
  • FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

I emailed the organisers to see if they would have me  at my level.  If there is a place, I think I might just go and see how I get on, and use it as a starting point for next year.

Would be determined to finish even if I end up walking most of it. 

• That's the spirit!  Don't die with a "What if?" lodged in your brain!!!!
  • FF  you can end up and walk with jim and me
  • Not sure what the rules are on piggy backs, but there's only one way to find out!

Robin, I would be much slower. I would have to adopt a run half hour . walk one hour strategy as I would only be able to run about 6 continuous hours at the moment.

I hav not done much training lately either which is a bit o a worrry but , sure what the hell image. Either way it wot be pretty.

Not just to hear f I have a place or not.

Muppet , how do they judge how far you cover? Each lane is a different distance so do you get assigned a lane and you stick to it or what? Do people stop and sleep at all or do you just keep going? Also I wouldnt have any helpers with me , and is there food available or just what you bring yourself?

• You have to go for the shortest distance.  It's normally quite spread out so there isn't much jostling for position (apart from maybe the first couple of laps.  It makes quite a difference if you don't go the shortest route, ie. you'll run 10 miles and get recognised for 8.8!  That builds up over 24 hours!

You can stop for as long as you want as often as you want (but it doesn't get you any miles!).  You'll have it completely sussed after a few hoursimage

• Just sent off the entry form for this - should be a fun day outimage

I think I kinda like the fact that we start at 6:45pm and get nighttime over within the first 12 hrs. Never quite fancied those 24hr events that start at 8-9am.

• Yip should be a fun day alright image Graeme.Robin and me ran 10 miles yesterday morning on a track just to get a feel for what it might feel like.As we were finishing i said to Robin only 22 and half hours to go image
  • lol...yup, "ONLY 22 and half hours" image

I haven't ran on a track since I was in high school - and I'm guessing after this, I'll never want to run on one ever again.

Plus we get to change direction every 4 hours - sure that'll keep the excitement levels quite high

• Anyone know what entries are like? I email this morning, but no reply as of yet?
  • Not sure, sorry Jonathan. I emailed Ed initially a few weeks back and he got back to me pretty quickly.

He'll more than likely tell you it's selling out fast - classic selling ploy
  • as jim said ran 10 miles on track to see what it was like ,should be fun.could have a competition to see who has best food.my thinking is I will want some proper hot food at some stage.

Johnathan I got email back fairly quickly,maybe try phoning him. I have had no confirmation on if entry accepted yet.

• Yip, he sent me the form. didn't say it was selling out, but did ask to reply quickly.

i'm still procrastinating though.

Regards food, it's good to know that there is a 24 hour tesco not too far away (Newtonbreda) with fairly comprehensive shelves. I think if I do it, it will be a case of have the basics there and send to the shop for the cravings!

• Yeah hot food would be ace - might have to order in some pizza - only so much sugary energy food I can put up with. Wouldn't want it all to end up over Mary Peters Trackimage  

I havent heard back yet either. Have a marathon this weekend. So unlikely I will get to do it . BUT i think( am pretty sure) I will head up to the event and am quite willing to be your gofor and your support team, supporter.Tesco. Pizza. chinese , perhaps not indian,image can be delivered at the nod of the head.

I know if I do still get the chance to participate I will be heading up on my own as I have no one to go with me. Now , must start making some banners image

• FF all support will be gratefully appreciated.It would be strange if they did deliveries from any of the take aways.I dont know the area so if anybody knows any local food shops that would deliver then let us know.I am not sure of what long term help we will have.
  • Funniest thing I ever saw whilst standing at the side of a 100 mile walking race (round a track) was a bloke walking round in the middle of the night with a portion of fish and chips in a polystyrene holder and a fag in his mouth!

Robin...how did you find the running on the traack compared with the road? The only time I ever ran on a track was a half lap at the end of a marathon.

is the main difference ,the monotony of it , or is the running surface significant  or is it harder on the body to turn tight circles so often ? did theh 10 miles feel like 10 or more/less?

• minus the fag that could be me
  • lol that's awesome MM - maybe he'd ben on a night out and just wandered onto the trackimage

FF - I've never ran on a proper track but I'm guessing the hardest thing would be the monotony of it. Don't think it'd be as sore on the body as pounding pavement. I think you should give it a shotimage Where is your marathon this weekend?

• FF we ran 10 miles and it wasnt as bad as we thought it would be but defenently  probably monotony will set in but hope with a crowd it shouldnt be too bad.wasnt as bad on the feet as road running for the same distance run. ran last night 8 miles and it felt harder than the track. good luck in the marathon.should be a good training run for thisimage
  • mmmm.... must say im tempted by this - though have to google it.  I have done a 12 hour and a 24 hour race previously - though both were cross country 10k laps, and with the 24hour race I slept for 5 hours!  Still this is only down the road from where I grew up (am a Londoner now) but I could be tempted a wee trip home for some running on old ground.  I think the monotony might kill me though...  Oh and Fizziofinn, before my 24hour race last year I had only completed one marathon as my longest distance!  The most important thing is having a good base fitness, good pacing (i pretty much jogged most of it, walked the uphills and sprinted the downhills - although granted that wont be an issue this time!) and more than a healthy dose of madness and stubborness.  Come on, you know you want to!

Going to google this now and see whats what...

• Oh cr*p, didnt check the dates - this seems unlikely as its the weekend after this years 24hour Thunderrun (though im doing it as part of a mixed doubles team this year).  Next year then I guess - good luck though guys! dont get too dizzy!
  • There are plenty of takeaways that will deliver, the problem will be convincing them that you want a pizza at the Mary Peters track at 1am! I'll try get a few numbers.

Best Chippy - Monte Carlo - Lisburn Road

Best Pizza - Little Italy - Amelia Street

Best Kebab - the Sphynx - Stranmillis Road

All of which do not deliver! lol

The Mary Peters Track is quite nice to run on relative to some and its surface is decent, not too spongey. The monotony is gonna be the killer, to do 100 miles is over 400 laps!

• thanks johnathan for food outlets ,counting the laps upto 400 at least will break the monotony image
  • All this talk of takeaways is making me hungry image 

Jonathan have you entered yet image 

• Got confirmation thismorning.... god help me!

Anyone got any idea of what sort of distance they are aiming for? I would quite like to get over 200km.