24 hour race in belfast

Comments

• Haven't really thought about it too much Jonathan - 200km (124 miles) would be a great target. Not sure if I'd quite that far, but definately over 100.

Did the confirmation email/letter give any more details at all?

• Good man Jonathan.No idea what sort of distances people will run i am afraid to set myself a target in case i flop image in a dream world i would love 100 miles but no idea if i am capable of getting anywhere near that image.
  • No, I just asked Ed to confirm that my entry went through OK. I did it online and was a wee bit unsure what had happened after I clicked through a screen or two. He just emailed back to say that it had been succesful.

I normally do long distance in mountains and quite often with a sack, so this is very different and I don't know how to judge it. My normal timing pace is 4 mph when I go hiking (plus 1min/10m for height). So I'm hoping 100 miles is within my grasp, so I just picked the next "milestone" image

• welcome aboard johnathan,I am unsure of any distance myself but a 100 miles seems a target since there are races out there of that distance ,so would give a feel for what it would be like albeit this will be flat.Are you going to try and persuade any of the mountain boys to enter.
  • FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Crikey feel way out of my league here.

Reassured by Katie who only did one marathon but , gulp not sure I would even get past 60 miles.

I think I will enter it and see how it goes. Would hate to waste a place from someone who would be more capable than me.

Could I borrow a helper if I have to present one on the day? I dont have anyone to go with me and it says you have to have one person.  I know I could run 6 hours , so from what I read , I should plan to run 6 hours out of the 24 and walk as much of the rest as I can.

Does this sound right?  I Wasthinking about ...run half hour , walk one hour , kind of thing. ???

• FF at present i have no helpers either but dont think it is essential for your entry.We dont have a great plan of what to run/walk but I know for sure I will be doing plenty of walking

Just paid my entry image
    Have spent the last 3 hours reading reports of 24 hour ultra on the rw.com site.
    Many of them seemed to adopt a 4:1 strategy where they walked a minute every time their watch showed a 4 or a 9. MIght try that . NOt really sure what to try.image

One suggestion was that you dont run more than your current longest time/distance so for me that would be about 6 hours. So run 6 hours and walk or rest for the other 18.

Would run half hour and walk one hour be daft? Is that too long a walk or should you not walk more than 5 or 10 mins at a time??

I am very concerned that since the 50km at the end of june that I have very little running in the bag as I totaly backed off , with no target ahead to aim for. I am running a marathon in roscommon on saturday and wonder if I should do a 2 hour run the following day or is it too late at this stage to try to catch up at all. I really am not sure what I should do running wise between now and the 24 run.

Sorry for all the questions. WIll probabaly drive you all mad between now and then , and you wil be sorry you talked me into this .

Robin..you got a target, or goal ? time or distance or otherwise ?

• FF good on you for entering image  just turn up and run / walk how you feel on the day.Good luck with your marathon on Saturday let us know how you get on.As for running 2hrs the next day i would say dont as i cant see it doing you any good.

I guess accommodation is the next thing i should sort. I dont expect they will let me stay in the tent on the saturday night in the middle of the track  and doubt the legs will be up to much drivingimage

• Call it youthful enthusiasm... after the first marathon, I might not be up to much at all!

Haven't been talking to any of the other mountain runners, the Seven Sevens is on the 7th (tongue twister!). So I expect they will opt for that.

• Awesome FF!! I don't think there's any one formula that works for everyone in 24hr races. You just kinda gotta go with how you feel. I think the key is to keep moving, no matter how fast. After it's over, you'll know what did/didn't work for you - making you better prepared for your next 24hr raceimage    

Mightn't be a bad idea to run/walk the day after Roscomon mara in my opinion. Just to get used to the time on your feet. Even a nice 3-4hr walk would probably benefit.

My sister will hopefully be up helping me so anybody needing a helper can probably put her down too. Can't see them being too strict on that one. If they are, we'll just throw a fake mustache on herimage

• FF - don't worry about fixed times to run / walk.  You can make it up on the day.  When I did my 24hr run I started running, went to run 3mins, walk 2mins, walked for an hour or 2 and then ran / walked between the same fixed points on the course.  You may find it easier to run a lap and then walk a lap, or run one walk 2, whatever works.  As other folks have said as long as you keep moving in a forwards direction you'll be increasing your distance.

Take something to sit on for rest breaks as they can also increase your distance.

Good luck everyone, I can't wait to hear how you all get on image

• FF great for entering,as said dont be too strict on what to run/walk.I have done what you have done by reading a lot on strategy and come to the conclusion that there isnt one,I think the trick is to take it very easy and walk early so to conserve your energy.exactly what I end up doing is ,as said , will make it up on the day.At present I look to run for half hour and walk for a period that feels comfortable,  Have no real goals just to finish

Johnathan,JIm and me did seven sevens last year and was the hardest thing I had done.interesting to compare this

• Robin at least we cant get lost on a track i hope lolimage 
  • i will end up running the other way to everyone elseimage

I definitley will do a long walk or run walk on the sunday I think, even just for the practice and to get time on the feet. I never walk so it will be no harm to get the body used to it.

Good idea bout the stool/chair. I will throw the camping chair into the car.

• Another top tip:

Make a list of equipment and tick it off as you pack.  It sounds a bit basic, but it is far better to have too much kit than to forget something that could mean the difference between pulling out after 6 hours or finishing.

And remember:

"Plans never survive first contact with the enemy"

List fairy summonsed.

Just heard that so far I am the only woman entered. Im sure Mrs Speedy-Stamina will register shortly and deprive me of first woman homeimageimage 

Graeme and Jonathon. I wont be up there challenging for your 100+ crowns but am going to battle on for a 50M and then target 100k if I can still move  and basically stay on the pins for as long as I can.  so far my PB is 31M/50k so anything further  will be a PB.

Bring it on image

• That's the spirit FF!

During the race you may find that your goals become a bit shorter, ie. finish this lap, finish this lap, finish this lap..............if you get the pictureimage

Is there anything extra I should consider , over and above marathon preparation or on the day stuff, that I might not have considered? I have trawled pretty much through ultra sites for the last few days when I should have been running , so I think i have a fair idea of the format etc.

Is there anything you wish you had known or what did you learn after doing your first?

• Sounding positive FFimage - love it. The thing i'm constantly learning in these distance events is to keep on top of hydration/food intake. Not giving them your full attention can really make you run out of gas later on. Try to eat, even if you don't really want to - it's hard, that's why it's important to find food you lurve;)

Also take care of your feet. I used to get blisters and now I individually tape each toe with micropore tape and it works wonders. That coupled with toe socks = happy feet. Also tape any other sore spots that you get say, after a marathon - the back of my heels is another place that I need to tape.

A couple of changes of shoes/socks help too - putting on different shoes/socks after spending hours and hours in the same pair feels pretty good. I think I'm gonna rotate between 2 pairs and change them every 6hrs or so.

You will be fine. Don't stress out too much over it. Just have fun and do as best as you canimage

• A bit of fun....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-race-time-predictor/1681.html

According to this, with a 10km time of 1 hour, 200km can be done within 24 hours... excellent!

lol

• lol Jonathan - I think I'll run a mile real real hard today and then use that as my ballpark guess

If I can churn out one 5:30 min/mile - I can cover 190 miles in 24hrs - awesome!!image

Shockingly, that would only beat the world record by 2 milesimage - unreal!!!

Graeme Colhoun wrote (see)

....... Try to eat, even if you don't really want to - it's hard, that's why it's important to find food you lurve;) 

Havent yet found a food I dont  like .But I reckon the ballast will be a good source of endurance fuel.

Jonathon , I see you are mentioned in the bulletin , as I am image. How embarrassing.LOL
    Best of luck with your fundraising.

So ....who is taking the campervan image.

Should we be making a list of guesstimates/  of how far or how long we can stay upright unassisted and with a pulse? I love lists

Cant wait .

• FF just read the bulletin.you get a good mention,with your recent marathon total you are as well placed to complete as the rest of us.As for campervans,all I have if a pop up tent that just survived oxygene music festival with my daughter,a folding camping chair and a cool box.guesstimate I will stick my head up and say I will like to get 100 miles.
    In london this week,which is probably not good training prior to this but managed to run 8 miles along thames in central london at 7am,couldnt believe how busy it was

what kind of rush of blood to the head did I get !!image
    Just finished a marathon today and am trashed after it. Was much tougher than I am used to . HOpe I havent screwed up my chances of going over the 50k in TWO weeks, image. Road was poorly marked and winners ended up going 30 miles!!!They still came in in 3.02 Awesome.image

I tell myself that I wil be running slower on the day and no shame in walking from early on. I am going for 50 miles and depending on how I feel might try to keep walking to 100k. Doubt I will get any further than that. Have deicded that this will be my main event for the year. I will give it everything and not bother doing the stuff I have lined up for later in the next few months.Cos I need to be able to come back and stay the distance with you guys next year.image

Robin, must be hot in london is it? HOpe you had a nice run.

• Ahh yes FF, but you can't sit down for 5 mins and have a bacon buttie in a marathon.  You can in a 24hr race!  Don't forget, you're not racing the clock, everyone finishes with the same time!

With nutrition I found that when I couldn't eat I'd take on board lots of energy drink and when I could eat, I'd eat small amounts (to avoid the boated feeling - even though it got me eventually).

The only thing that I'm going to do differently in November at my next 24hr run is to take bicarbonate of soda to shift any build up of gas quicker than last time.  Other than that I was pretty chuffed with the way things went.

gas???image..is that from all the sugary dfoods?

I am fine today apart from a niggle in the right calf.didnt run today in case. Will ultra sound it tomorrow and be kind ot it , Dont want to take any chances at this point.

• Could have been, not sure where it came from as I laid off the beer for 24hrs!!

Felt like a fist sized ball under my sternum but went as soon as I spewed following a nice mix of bicarb of soda and sports drink........yum image

You'll be fine FF, a 24hr race is far more sedate than a marathon.

• Could we enlist a fish and chip van to visit the track ....or an icecream van for pokes as we say in Belfast

Big Girl