Options

24 hour race in belfast

Comments

• Options

just e-mailed organisers to see if there is room for me on the track!

I havent ran in the last 2 weeks after completing an ironman in roth but hope the body and mind are still fuelled for this..... only trouble is having to work on friday so my race will begin after work in the rush to get to the start on time...

if i dont do the race i will be about be about to help as crew / food shopper for a few hours if anyone needs to avail of it....

good luck in advance

• Options

I would be surprised if they don't let you run Marty...

I presume you're the same Marty who tried the "Cavehill Challenge" at one point... We managed to get it completed last Monday. Took a while, nearly 4h30min, but I reckon it can be done in 3h30 and closer to 3h if really going for it.

• Options

Thanks FF - Unfortunately they (Marie Curie) had a close date of 30th June when they needed the monies in byimage Really really appreciate the offer though. I think you'll be surprised of the mileage you're capable of over 24hrs - and we'll be running with you all the way - start to finish, so the encouragement will be top drawer;)

Marty - good man for getting your name in for it. Can't see it selling out, so you should be grand. And if you're not there for the exact start, I can't see that mattering too much either.

• Options

All the best to all of you.  Enjoy it (as much as you can).  Go steady and go long!

I can't wait to hear how you all get on.  Go for it you nutters!!!!!

(Just posted my entry to 24hr in France in Nov so got something to look forward to now image)

• Options

good to see on board marty, as been said cant see a problem getting entered

FF just go steady and long, it is the unknown for me as havent ran over 40 miles but feel could walk a good steady pace for a long time so unsure what distance I can achieve,theres only one way to find outimage. As grahame said we are all in it together so all encouraging everyone all the time

• Options

Got a wee 'justgiving' page setup if anyone would like to sponsor me (although it's a wee bit silly asking fellow participants!) . The charity is The Prostate Cancer Charity.

www.justgiving.com/jonathan-mccloy

• Options

Could be a silly question but i will ask it are we going to know how far we have run as the hours go by.I will have my garmin on but how long do they last 8-10 hrs i think. Will we be able to see updates from the computer doing the chips.

• Options

Jim, I sent Ed an email asking for some details, but that wasn't one of them, hopefully he'll be contacting us all soon though...

I have seen on other races pages that events have had a wee score board to track everyones progress, but I don't know if that is gonna happen here. Presumably the computer will have some live feedback.

Interesting little point... I have GPS tracker on my phone which appears to be just as good as a garmin. I did 4km round the track with it in my right hand (Outside) and it registered an extra 30m per km. I then did the last km with it in my left hand and it registered no extra distance.... full of useful information me!

Cheers Graeme!

• Options

My garmin only lastsa bout 5-6 hours but it takes less than an hour to charge. Going to get my helper to charge it for me and use it as much as I can. she has one too , so perhaps can combine the two. I used it on my first venture onto a gravelly track on sunday and it registered the distance perfectly.

I emailed Ed today too. So hopefully he will get back with an update soon.

Anyone got any advanced weather information?

• Options

FF safe to say be prepared for all weather types(except snowimage)

• Options

No worries Jonathan - for a great cause mate.

I have a garmin 310xt and the battery life is around 19hrs - so I'll just run it dry and then charge it for the final few hours.

I'd imagine the info would be displayed on a screen at the start/finish line. I'm guessin it'll probs be in km as it's a 400m track.

Looks like we might have some rain. Oh joyimage

• Options

Manx Muppet , you mean you arent joining us??image image

Better dig out the rain cape I got before the Paris marathon. Might come in handy.

Apart from Jonathon sneaking around the corner back to his bed and dinner... has anyone any plans to have a drink or meal after( or after a nap?)? I am trying to decide whether to travel to dublin and get some of the journey over or just to find a BnB locally and hope the legs will make it on the sunday morning?

• Options
    I've been toying with the idea of going to the steakhouse on Lisburn Road. It's called The Porterhouse. they do a 22oz porterhouse steak.
  • Options

steakhouse sounds great but ask me if iam going at 6.40pm saturday and i will give you an honest answer then

jim and me have garmin 305 and hope betwee the 2 of them can record the 24 hours.How could we get them recharged there ?

• Options

Hi All

Good Luck with Belfast.

Manx are you doing the Srichinmoy one in Marseille ? I am thinking about it.

• Options

IM sure the clubhouse has power. I am taking my little laptop and it charges a garmin in one hour. YOu can all use it for charging and the laptop can be topped up in the car or the  mains. Same for ipods etc

If we are fit to eat and drink im sure we will go somwhere. see how it feels at the time.

• Options

FF, I'll be with you in spirit but alas not in person.  I might have a serious think about this one next year.  I've got 2 marathons in April to crack and I'd like a pb in one of them.

Joe, yes it is the Sri Chinmoy one and I'm just hoping that the entry form is filled in right and the only address that I found on the website gets it there! (Got a good deal on BA flying from Gatwick to Marseille - less than £100).

I seriously wouldn't worry about Garmins, other than to try and control your pace at the start.  You should have lap counters who will tell you where you're at and you need to go off into a nice happy place in your mind for as much of the 24 hrs as you can so don't be over analysing data en route.  If my experience is anything to go by I'd lost all interest in where I was after about 9 hours!

Good luck all!

• Options

I was reading this guys blog before (some-one posted it on the Up and Running forum) it's a good read.

http://ultradiscostu.blogspot.com/

• Options

Right guys. This is what you will be facing on the track !!image
  • Options
    Best remember your earplugs then image
  • Options

I can imagine worse... the Proclaimers on repeat!

Only one day to go!  Woohoo! image

• Options

Right guys and gal....early to bed for you all tonight and see you all bright eyed and bushey tailed for tomorrow.

Best of luck to everyone image xx

• Options
    The Proclaimers?   .( sings in a scottish accent)...and I will walk 500 miles ...then I will walk 500 more
  • Options

Right.  To bed, the lot of you.  I don't want to see anyone using this forum after 9pm or there'll be trouble!

Good luck and have fun!  image

• Options
    see you all at the start then folks... hoping tomorrow a stress free day in the office! now for some steak and spuds
  • Options

OH dear Manx Muppet  back of the class for meimage. I got to sleep about 10.30 and then my phone rang briefly me at 11.30 and I havent been able to get back to sleep since. By the time 3am arrived I thought it was a waste of time staying in bed so I decided to get up and get packed and put the washing machine on etc. Perhaps I might get some sleep in the afternoon . Maybe the screwed up timing might help during the night tonight. YIkesimage

Last night wasnt much more successful. I thought i was alone in the locked up house and I woke up at 1am with a person standing at the end of my bed. I nearly had a heart attack. It was my daughter calling in on her way to the airport to say a final goodbye. She let herself in with her own key. FFS DIdnt sleep much for the rest of last night either.

I am telling myself that this will be like childbirth. Manageable at the start , in all innocence, and then getting more challenging as it goes on . You cannot change your mind half way through and no matter how tough it gets that somehow  I will survive til the end. And the sense of achievement and relief will be worth it all.  Bet I will be looking for an epidural after 15 hours though.image

• Options

Today is the day folks - FF, hope you managed to get some sleep in the endimage

Spent last night doing some packing and whacking some tunes on the mp3 player, I never listen to music when running, but I'm thinking it'll be a good motivator. Looking forward to meeting everybody there.

Never give up!!!

• Options

FF, staying up all night is good traing for...........staying up all night!

You are now officially ready - go get 'em tiger!!!!

• Options
    Good luck everybody, hope you enjoy it and it stays dry!!!image