24 hour race in belfast

Comments

• Fantastic effort yesterday everyone. Was so so lovely to meet all of you, and hang out for 24hrsimage

This race trashed me up physically and mentally. Went through a lot of bad mental patches. Definately is a different kettle of fish for the old brain - a real challenge.

Anybody for a recovery run today??????????? image

• what a 24 hours that was,when we arrived for registration we looked and it was lashing with rain and thought oh S--T.and saw all the big fancy tents and mobile homes and again thought my wee pop up tent and 2 man tent looked so in adequate but few other small tents were pitched and didnt feel so bad.As it turned out didnt use the tent much anyway.

The race from the start to me was steady, having not do a 24 hour before and got through the nite quite easily, I think it was good to do the nite session first.As the race went on, for me <i just kept focusing on the milestones of 50 miles,100km,75 miles ,80 miles and set a final target of 85 miles which i managed just.My biggest problem at the end was blisters,i couldnt see to base of my foot for plasters and duct tape.My legs for about 10 hours felt like they do after last 3 miles of a marathon when feel cant go on.my saving grace was the massages i got from peter ferris and the male physio(cant remember his name ).they were brilliant

I thought the organisation was great nad cant wait to see photos

It was great to meet you all graham,marty

FF amazing race by you< your consistency and dedication was one of the things that spurred me one when feeling Knackered.Definetly if we do this again we will need bigger tents to look the part

Last  but definetly no means least big thanks to Die tryin,your dedication to your role as support crew was amazing,it must have been as toughstanding at the side constantly keeping us all going with your encouragement,Thanks for that

Had to marvel at thomas maguire,his achievement was somethng else

Wil I do another one Yes I would as I think I could get more miles but thats the mentality we live by

• Congratulations to all of you, went to watch on Fri night and also yesterday.....i'm in awe at the sheer guts and determination of you all.

have been trying to find results on line.....where are they?

i'd love to do it next time, is  year long enough to build up from a marathon?

• liz not sure if any results up yet but prob on NI athletics web site monday.also looking for photos/video at some stage as well
  • LIz the furthest I had run before was 31 miles two weeks before the event and Irena had never run more than a marathon , so I would say to you. GO GIRL. You never know what you are capable of til you try. Isnt that right lads?image I was hoping to get to 50 miles and then walk to 62 miles if I could. Tuh! still cant believe I made it to 84.50miles. GO ME!! image What incredible distances people clocked up. I was so proud of us all.image Every time that someone hit a milestone I felt as much pleasure as if I had reached it myself.

I have just spent the last while reading back on all the posts on this thread from the very start. What a journey we have all made. I am still overwhelmed by it all. I really felt today that I had achieved something special for the first time in my life that I was so proud of. Even childbirth. When you now know the faces and personalities that go with the posts it is even nicer to read them back.

What an amazing bunch you all are. Awesome. What a quality bunch of people starting from the instant I arrived and put up,my even smaller tent than Robinsimage. ( Next year the 7 person tented village is coming.) Everyone had their stories and were full of surprises.

I couldnt name anyone in particular as I would want to single each of you out for special mention.But I do have to mention my fello girlies.  What about Lynne.... looked like she could go on for another 24. What an awesome athlete. Not only did she make the top of Everest she was a worthy winner of the top of the womens distance log as well. How brave for Kellie too. Bravely fought on even though she had a bad spot. She was still there at the end. Irena...I thought we would have to shoot her to get her off the track. She must have got her batteries changed at the last hour. She was running like there was a posse after her but such a steady gutsy woman.

There was no end to the courage and bravery shown by the lads either ,When I though some of them looked about to die on their feet..hours later they were still plugging away. I think it is a testament to the calibre of the people doing it, the support and the camaraderie that at the finish line, there were 18 our of 19 starters stil there.imageimageimage

I think the ignorance of what we were to face suited us. As every extra lap or mile was a pb and a thrill. Will next year be tougher and with lots of new people? WIll have to wait and see. Die trying will be first on the list.

THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING THIS SO SPECIAL

• Hi everyone, just wanted to add my congratulations to you all for your outstanding achievement in completing this race.  You are all an awesome bunch of runners and it was brillant to witness all your different personal pb's.   Hopefully see you all next year xx 
  • Well done everyone!!

Fantastic that you all kept going.  Incredible efforts all round image

Hope the recoveries are going well.

• dietryin - if I'm not running this next year, I'll definately be there to cheer you on. Thank you for all your support and encouragement. "Go Marty" image

Fin - you were inspirational. You just kept going and going and going......................and going. All I could do was watch with admiration as you gave it your all for 24hrs

Marty - loved that sprint at the end. Splendidimage

Really couldn't have asked to be lapped by a nicer bunch of runnersimage Jim, Robin, Jonny et al - thank you for pushing on. Watching everybody fly by from the comfort of my wee chair gave me the will to get up and go for a few more laps countless times when I was mentally struggling.

I had signed up for the Tooting Bec 24hr next month (Doh!) but with limited places, I'm kinda hoping I don't get in....ok, I'm REALLY hoping that I don'timage

• GO Marty. I love it . Was it about 15 hours before I told her your name was Graeme?image

I didnt think I was on the track any longer for anyone else. Ye all seemed to be on as long I was.

How are you all doing today? MY feet are a bit swollen still and I have to do more blister drainage but my muscles all feel fine. I must not have tried hard enough!image

• Hello peoples. What a day!

Unbelievable effort put in by everyone, some people are absolute machines! I was in awe of Jim.

I reckon I will do another one, but it won't be for a long time... and having consulted a dietician!

Can't wait to see my pace splits... the trace will be exactly like the mountains!

Well done everyone and I will be there to support whoever is doing it next year!

• lol, everyones back at work and on here now I see!
  • Re- injuries... my left ankle got trashed, I could hardly walk on it on Saturday evening. I reckon it would be a good idea to wear ankle braces in the future. Didn't really have any problems with blisters, them wee shoes fitted like a glove, only had small blisters on me toes and one on the inside of each foot.
  • Yeah only 15 hours Fin lol - although to be fair I thought it was "Go Matey" for about the first 2-3hrs, then it clicked. can't believe your muscles aren't hurtin Fin - you're a Machine!!

I'm just fatigued all over. I want to try and run tomorrow, if the legs are up for it.

I was in awe of Jim too - such grit and determination. If you had the nutrition nailed down Jonny - these 24hr runs could be your baby. You were running so strong. My pace splits will be all over the shop too.  

Yup, back at work Jonnyimage dedicated - hardworking - neither of these am Iimage

• Well done to everyone all of you were fantastic and a great bunch of people who were a joy to meet and run with

Jonny agree with Graeme if you get it right you could be right up there i know from the mountain men how good a runner you are.

Graeme can't belive you are thinking of another 24 hr race already image dont know how you done it but every time you had a break and got back on the track you looked fresh were as i looked a mess which i was.We finished so close together

Fin great running to think you were worried before the start you are one fit lady great stuff and as for your help that lady should of had a medal as well she never stopped offering help to us all and even pulled the cover down on my tent when the rain came to keep my stuff dry thanks image 

Marty great running mate how did you do that sprint finish at the end did you get the lap in i could no see as i was on the other sid of track.

As for myself never ever did i think i could run that far but with all the help i just tried to keep going.Would love to do it again sometime image

• great running by everyone,couldnt believe i had to go to work today but my legs are no worse than after a marathon,my feet ,however are a mess ,it will take a week for blisters to clear.will definently have to research different shoes

Jim see you at speed training on wednesday.

Oh somehow I got my picture in belfast telegraph.along with marty,paul mcallister and kerry lyttle.hope they get everybody else in later

• How far did you amazing people travel in the course of 24 wonderful (ha!) hours?

It sounds like you all had an amazing experience even if it couldn't be described as fun.

Roll on November, I can't wait for my next one (runs away quickly, checking over shoulders for men in white coats)

• I spent hours writing race report and then effing thing just disappeared. Damn!

My legs are grand now. Back to normal I think I must not have tried hard enough image. MY feet are still swollen though and the blisters( never had blisters before apart from under toenails) are making life a misery. Not sure why I got them ?I had put vaseline all over my feet but I think when I got the foot massage with the oils my feet were slipping around inside my shoes afterwards.,Never thought to reapply vaaseline. Next year I wil do differently.

Results Mr Muppet... JimA1          154.21kms        96.38 miles
                                         Graeme       153.49                95.93 miles
                                         robin A          136.05                85.03 miles
                                          Finn              135.27                84.54
                                          Marty             130.81                81.75

imageimageimage

• Awesome!  Hats off to the lot of you.

Fantastic efforts all round.

• Is anyone elses feet still swollen? Not sure why they havent gone down yet but I look like I have 10 little chippolata sausages at the front end of my feet and no ankle bonesimage 

I have these lovely new high strappy sandals and I cant wear themimage

• I reckon it might be because you were on your feet more than most! My legs are relatively good, I'll be doing a wee orienteering session tommorrow.

The results and pictures are up on the ANI website

http://www.niathletics.org/news/default.asp?ID=1918&itemId=219&topicId=&va=0

Of course they managed to catch me when I lay down for a few mins!

• Thats awesome guys well done and there's me about to head out for a lsr for a piddly little marathon!
  • Well done everyone.

I've got a last minute place for Berlin so I'm going to do that as my foreign race rather than the Marseille 24hr  race. 

Have a good run Manx

• Oh well, I guess I'll have to brush up on my french then as there may not be too many other english speakers around.  Does anyone know what the french is for "get a bullet, I'm beyond help"?

How are the feet FF?

• HAPPY BIRTHDAY FINN !!!!!!!!!!!! image Hope you have a lovely day and got the best present ever...unswollen feeeeeeeet

• Anyone had a run yet since Saturday image

Starting to think what next     image 

• I had a short run with the dog the past couple of nights just Jim.

Causeway Coastal at start of October will probs be my next Norn Iron run. Although it will depend how I feel after (if I get into) Tooting Bec 24hr. The only reason I signed up to it was because a friend wanted to run it.

You could do Connemara 100 this weekend if ya wanna prolong the thinkingimage??

• Graeme i had a feeling you would be on the road again.I might give the Causeway a go myself had planned to go to the Dublin marathon but after running it 4 years on a row a change would be good.

The Connemara 100 would be nice to do at some stage may find it hard to get a support crew for it however image

• legs are recovering,may venture out at weekend,if on saturday i feel ok may go for lurig run(fell run),as it is part of festival in the village I will be staying in.

Dont know what next "challenge" although my wife has told me not to speak to jimimage.May not be available for causeway marathon/ultra as may be in scotlannd that weekend

Happy birthday Finn, hope feet are getting better and ready for next challenge

• my legs are fine thankfully but i have worries about my left big toenail. I had to bandage it a couple of days ago as I though it would come off in the sea. But it has been throbbing something dreadful all last night and today. HOw would you know if you had an infection in it? I tired a run today but my toe wasnt up to it.The rest of them seem to be settling all right.

Got my weeks mixed up image, so Im 44 for another week almost. Wednesday is the day. image

Glad to see you are al still here. I was afraid you would all disappear into the big blue yonder and I wouldnt know what was happening in the wee north.

Must check out the photos as I dont have any. Cant believe there is one of you lying. I though you were on your feet all the time!!image

• Just checked the photos , they are super. Marty what are you doing in photo 6? you have the funniest face on you image