hip itch!

I have searched high and low for more info on this but I am at a loss as I don't know human anatomy so don't really know what I'm looking for!

I get this...irritation which feels like its coming from the inside of my hip- as in I cannot massage it, theres hip bone in the way.

At first when it came along it felt as if I needed to stretch out my hips and I'd be fine- and it sort of worked- while I stretched my hips, I got no irritation, Relief! But then it came back seconds after I resumed a normal postion, I have noticed it feels more irritating if I am exercising on a standing machine especially (eg cycling is not so bad) but running and especially machines like the stairmaster and elliptical machine really make it feel more annoying.

I think I have made it worse- or maybe it was going to get worse by itself. I kept yanking at my hips to stretch out whilst working out which must have looked very odd. I just wanted to get the irritation to go away- the original irriation is not painful, but after yanking at my hips- then its painful! After just one session of several yanking at each hip I ended up with a sharp twinge which decended down the front and outter side of my leg.I stopped the pulling and it went away/recovered, but the irritating feeling did still remain.

Its so annoying! Its really impacting on my running and exercise and as you can probably tell, its very hard to describe- its even hard to locate on my body with a pointed finger! I don't know how to describe this to a doctor or what it could be. I thought rest would help but it has not, I thought streching would help but it has not. I don't know what else to try especially as the faster I move, the more the irritation gets to me!

I eat well, am a health BMI (23) and am under 30. I have had many injuries in the past and have gotten round them through following the laws of common sense, but I cannot see what to do with this- is it a ligament? a joint? a muscle? a bone? not a clue! Help!!!

Anyone had anything similar? anyone have any tips?

Comments

• Hey, yeah I have been having the same thing for about six months now and have no idea what it is!

I messed up a tendon in my hip when I upped my training too quickly and so havent been able to run for sex months. After lots of rest and physio, the sharp pain I was getting in my hip has now diminished to more of an itch or irritation that gets worse when I walk long distances or run and the only way to get rid of it temporarily is to do some really obscure stretches that i have found to work through trial and error.

Have you been to a doctors about it? Mine was very unhelpful and just told me to rest.

Maybe time will heal it if is the remains of some tendon damage?!

Running Blog
  • Thanks for the reply.

Am due to see my doctor tomorrow (or technically later on today). Did some lettle ball exercises to stregnthen my obliques and managed to make the pain worse! Hopefully though that is muscular and will die down. I am assuming the hip twinge is a joint pain rather then muscular as it doesn't ever get better with rest or exercise!

I worry its a calcium thing- though at a very healthy weight at the moment (BMI23) I used to have anorexia (BMI14) and bounce around a few relapses for about 10 years, I was told I had my bones recover by 90% but then lost loads of weight again so not sure if its been ruined. I also stopped taking dairy on finding they affected my sinuses and bloating (shame as I love dairy and miss it!) I can't tollerate the milk substitues so just don't take any calcium through food anymore- I take calcium pills. I know when they scan your bones to test for ostioperosis they check your spine and your hip- this is where it first shows. I worry its a bone issue- a joint issue tbh is probably just as bad though!

Will report back if my GP offers any ideas (not holding out much faith on that though!)

• Hi Jenn, 
    How it goes? I have the same thing. Hips itchy inside, always feel like stretching my hips joint. Went to see 2 doctor,  doctor mention to rest and light exercise to slowly strengthen my joints.... preferably swimming... I have been resting for 6 months... minimal exercise nowadays as avoid things get worse but it makes me really felt bored unable to exercise..T_T 

How did you manage to recover?