Options

Paris Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    As for the stool and urine charts....whilst they've proved invaluable training aids to everyone in the past I've only posted them early to fill time while waiting for TD to up the smut ante image
  • Options

So what kind of total cost are we talking for the marathon, then?

I just booked my hotel (4 nights, near Rome Staion) for £388.

How much is the registration?

How much (roughly) for Eurostar (which don't take bookings this far out)?

• Options
    Phew blimey Jason that was early I dont normally book my hotel until February!! Eurostar was £84 outwards and £89 on the way back for two adults.  Normally sometime early new year you can book it.  Food is expensive though due to the fact it is Paris and because of the Euro.  Pasta places often the cheapest to go to.
  • Options

Oui Enfin !!!

Count me in ...

This will be my first marathon

• Options
    Jason - Paris will be my fourth marathon.  I've done London, Paris and am doing Berlin in September.  Can't remember how many other races I've done but they include allsorts- 10k's half mara, 20 milers I'll have to count me medals. I've done the British 10k 4 times and liked it every time, but lots of people complain about it.  There's a long wait at the start whilst the marine band play and I think that's what narks people.  I always stayed at a hotel near the start and just nip in when I can. Also, there are thousands of people running.  They stretch all the way down from Hyde Park Corner down Piccadilly and round the back of the Ritz. I love it, but have other commitments this year. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  Just soak up the atmosphere and don't count on a PB unless you've got good elbows.
  • Options
    BTW I'm going to rest for a couple of days to let the muscle recover a bit.  I've been trying to get hold of my physio but she's not replying to my texts so I guess she's maybe on holiday at the moment. I might just have a go with the roller and see if that helps.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    /members/images/146061/Gallery/IMG_0398-417x350.jpg

Jason, if they keep the same system as last year, the earlier you register the cheaper it is. The first 16,000 places were at 58E, the next 16,000 at 70 and the rest at 90. Stand by your pc, come September.

Total cost? Err...Don't think like that.. Learn to photosynthesize  and stay out of restaurants..We've cracked the pre-race pasta places and, post-race, you won't be eating..There are  loads of , free, things to see and it might not be the best weekend to go up the Eiffel Tower or the Arc de Triomphe, anyway. Remember, you need to lodge a Medical Certificate. Most GPs seem to charge something.

*Me, 3 maras. All Paris.*

Welcome to the thread, slowtwitcher.

I'll be gutted if next year's medal is not as nice at the 2010 one . It was a cracker!

• Options

i am secretly hoping london rejects me too as i loved every minute of paris this year.

will definitely stick around though as this thread is like a spiritual home for me on these boards!

• Options
    Jason, Ive done London twice, Paris once and will be doing again in 2011, and have done Nottingham once, was meant to be doing Nottingham again this Sept but my leg is in plaster at the mo so I wont have enough time to train.  Im a slow runner but I do get to the finish and as I say we cant all be quick runners someone has to be at the back
  • Options
    Well at least you'll be organised Jason. As ATM says it's probably best not to think of the cost all in, that way brain trauma lies!

Hi Slowtwitcher, welcome to the thread. Excited yet? You'll have an amazing time.

I've not decided yet whether to give Paris another shot next year, I'll wait until September and see how things work out. I also keep forgetting I entered the London ballot but I think that's highly unlikely so that's okay. Marathon wise I've done Edinburgh, Loch Ness and Paris and various halfs and 10k's in between. So far Loch Ness was my favourite but I think that's because I had injuries for Paris and couldn't get enough training in.

My Paris medal's still hanging off of the pinboard in my kitchen!
  • Options

Nice pic of the medal ATM..  I give mine to the kids and they play 'Olympics' with them..  I had a rummage through the box and found these..    but 2004 and 2008 are missing for some reason..  I'm sure they will turn up...

2005   rather a rubbish one...!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/98627/Gallery/IMG_2961.JPG

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/98627/Gallery/IMG_2962.JPG

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/98627/Gallery/IMG_2963.JPG

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/98627/Gallery/IMG_2964.JPG

• Options

DM1974 - spiritual home - yes, I feel like that about this thread too.

Jason, I've run marathons in Cologne, Paris and London, and I've got a t-shirt from Amsterdam Marathon last year.  I did 8 weeks of training but was brought low by Piggy Flu. I didn't run, but still got the nice technical T-shirt. Will be running there this October and am full on in training for it right now.

I'm not sure what to do next spring. I am wanting to do a full-on assault for a Sub-3 hour marathon. I can get a Good For Age place at VLM, end of April. There's an outside chance I could hit sub-3hrs in Amsterdam as my training is going fabulously so far, but I think 3:03 - 3:05 is more realistic.

I wondered about running Paris as a pacemaker with my wife (around 4:15 - 4:30 ) but she may not run it and even a (relatively) slow pace would still have a negative impact on going fast in London.  But London is more likely to be warm than Paris because it's closer to summer. But London is a bit flatter.  But weather is essential chaotic and unpredictable.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm not quite sure what to do next year. image

Good nagging NGUG.

Leeds Rob - since you and RedPanda and FizzioFinn backed away from the thread, the naughty behaviour all stopped. Although McFlooze and Coops had a bit of a go at it (no pun intended!) last year. Anyway, this is a smut free zone, at least I imagine until page 5.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

I give mine to the kids and they play 'Olympics' with them..                                             

I wear mine to Tesco....
  • Options

ATM - go girl.  Mine hang on the side of a large picture of a black cat the picture is getting more and more lopsided as more accumulate.

3 marathons for me Paris 2009, London 2009, Paris 2010 supposed to be doing Amsterdam this year but hip labral tear looks as if its probably put the end to that.  So I get a T-shirt anyway TD sounds goodimage.  Got to look on the bright side of these things.

• Options
    We'll see how you get on NGUG. If you don't make it, send me your race number and I'll get the T-shirt for you. But who knows, you might still be running right?!
  • Options

TD - Being as they're not around I blame RP and Fizz entirely for all the smut.  Personally I'm an innocent and don't know half of what it means.  Still, if the smut quotient is low I'll do my best to get it up.  Eh?  Eh? 

DV - I have the 2007 and 2009 editions (I only seem to do odd years) somewhere but they are shite in comparison to ATM's 2010 model.  I'd look after one like that.

Jason - quality preparation. 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ah, but I didn't get one, Leeds Rob. I was injured, 2010, and volunteered instead. Hence the lovely-like-an-Olympic-Gold-medal-envy...image

I DID get another' benevole' anorak and cap, though.. image I have an impressive wardrobe of black plastic...

• Options

ATM - you looked very professional in it too Mrsimage  Was nice to see a familiar face - you were on the splash you with water stand werent you? Thought it was a r.bad idea not to put sponges on that stand. I personally preferred the 2009 medal with the tricoloured ribbon it was v.smart.

TD - ahh thanks .. see how things pan out as you say..

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

/members/images/146061/Gallery/Thread_Benevole.JPG

I had a great time, NGUG. I do hope they reconsider the decision to do away with  sponges at the sponge stations! * Spot the green ribbon.*

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

/members/images/146061/Gallery/jason_0.jpg

Good Lord, Jason! Are you famous?

• Options

ATM - of course...you were sponging down the athletes! 

• Options

I was beginning to wonder where you'd got that medal from ATM. 

TD and NGUG Is there any room on that bench?  If so, budge up a bit please.

I've managed to get an appointment with a different physio for tomorrow night so I'll probably have some idea how much damage I've done.  I wouldn't mind if I'd done it running, but pilates???

So I'm missing out my mid week long run and possibly my long run this week.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

ooh aar bunkum...yep I need to get sorted. Don't even have a UK doctor yet.

I chucked out a lot of medals and T shirts in the move. Obviously none were from Paris Marathon.

• Options

OO:  get sorted - need you up and running for Paris 2011!!!

Did a lovely 5 miler this morning in 42.56 so very pleased.  4 mile easy tomorrow and then 10 on sunday!!  Still keeping body in one piece so just need to stay that way until April 2011!!

1 Marathon and 5 1/2 marathons for me!

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I did not go through his wallet!

It was one of those business card insert thingy's.  It was open on his desk, and I had a look.

• Options
    Nevergiveup Girl wrote (see

ATM - go girl.  Mine hang on the side of a large picture of a black cat the picture is getting more and more lopsided as more accumulate.

Had to laugh at that one - my medals are hanging off a picture of a fish and it's only a matter of time before the whole thing comes crashing to the ground!

Just back from transporting Barry the Baton along the Fife Coastal Path. Fantastic run - beautiful weather. My only regret is that I don't get to keep Barry for a bit - had to hand him over straightaway. He's almost in Edinburgh now.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    May have to settle for a plod and a long bike ride this w/end....
  • Options

Am off out to do my impression of a kite as it is a "blustery" day today as the bear of little brain would sayimage.

OO: a plod to you is probably speedy to this mere mortal!!

My medals are hanging off a hook on my wardrobe door!!

• Options

Morning all!!

Feeling good this am - health scare with Mr NGUG over the last week had worried me more than I thought all sorted out yesterday feels like a weight off my shouldersimage

OO - this might come in useful http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/pages/servicesearch.aspx - sorry not meaning to nag or anythingimage  You will definitely need to register now the family are there..

Mr P - we believe you.. nb anyone working with Mr P dont leave anything confidential open on your desk...image

RR - hehe mine is distinctly worrying too I know its going to topple one day.  I was registered for the Coast to Coast have to see when it comes down this way what state I am in.

Katb - sounds like you are being sensible..

Bike ride for me this weekend instead of run ..

• Options

I wear all my medals every weekday - that way, people will be sure to know what an impressive person I am, without me even having to tell them.

I did 18½km before work today. 25C when i started, 30C when I stopped. Hardly any shade.
    I am SO TIRED now though. My feet felt swollen, my skin was itchy, it was hard getting my breathing right and I've got the beginnings of a bit of irritation on my shin which could turn into shin splints.  Today was one of those days where I thought to myself "Fishing looks like a nice, easy hobby". 64K for the week so far, 37k to go.