Options

Paris Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

I'm here DV.

After running a full mile yesterday I feel less of a fraud and more of a runner.  No ill effects during or after so fingers crossed I'm on the mend.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    And a mighty fine one too Rob. Take it easy.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Go, Rob! image * slowly and carefully, mind...*

• Options

Bloody hell Rob..  take it easy..  you have had a harsh injury...  ease your body back in..   fingers crossed you are on the mend...

Just to give you prior warning..  I have chosen the next mad challenge for after the A2A...

oh-oh.. what's he up to now..?

It will take a couple of years to build up a CV worthy of applying, but that will be my target...

You read it here first.......    image

Before then, we have the small matter of the A2A..  this weekend is a 88 mile run...  if the weather is kind, we might do it on the actual A2A run route,,,,  otherwise, it will be elsewhere..  the target is to do it in 20 hours or less...  

• Options

DV:  at 04.17 most of us were sleepingimage.  Having looked at that link my first thought was "you're having a laugh" but then again knowing you you're serious!!!! 

LR:  congrats on the 1m and feeling fine good  the following day - excellent news.

Am sitting gazing out of the window thinking should go for a trott but did 10 yesterday (1 x 4.5 mile coastal trott with boys and 1 x 5.5 mile run 2.25 up hill and 2.25 down again) so resting as very tired (again).  Boot camp in the morning then a 7 miler in the evening - must admit am enjoying boot camp sooooo much an excellent cross training session for only £5!!!

On a total side issue - the ladies amoungst us of a certain age (or any imformed men) any tips on the "change of life" and how to cope with glowing at night, not sleeping and generally always feeling oh so tired - unless running of course that is?  Am getting desperate and really don't want to go down the route of HRT.   Help!!!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Think I'll pass on that one Princess image

I've heard of Badwater DV- serious stuff.

• Options

Badwater?  You crazy mofo DV!!! image  Are you sure you haven't got some Tarahumara blood in you?

PriFi - Have you tried monkey glands?

• Options

It'll be fun..image

Pri-Fi..  surely you're not old enough for that yet..?

• Options

update..  BBC News South East are interested to film a news story on the A2A  image

• Options

further update...   I will be having a live on-air interview tomorrow (Friday) afternoon during the drivetime show on BBC Radio Kent   BBC Radio Kent

I should be on about 4:20pm or 4:30pm.....

The chat will be about the A2A...

• Options

image  You beat me to it! I was all ready with the link to post and everything! image 

OK, technical question.

For Yasso 800's, what should you be doing in the intervals between the fast parts? Run another lap much slower? Jog until your heart rate comes down to a particular level, in which case what level? Stop and walk, if so, for how long?

I was doing them on the treadmill last night, at 12kph, with 400m intervals in between at around 7.5kph to recover, which brought my heart rate down from about 165 (which for me is about 90% of MHR) to less than 125 by the time I started again. That felt like it was too long to recover, to start with, but  maybe not by the end.

Any thoughts?

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

No my head is empty RR image

Your a local celeb. DV...

• Options

wow - monkey glands LR - never thought of that one!!

DV:  kind words but unless I've had flu for the past year and a half no I'm not!!!   Wil lbe tunning in on the internet for the interview this after noon DV.

RR:  sorry can't help - never do yassoo's - they sound really scary.

Thanks for the helpful commentsimageimage.

Well on a running front did a 51/2 miler yesterday morning, followed by 1 hour boot camp (fab cross training/interval/speed/power work) and then a 5 miler in the evening - feeling fab this morning no aches anywhere.  May go for a recovery trott this afternoon as not running saturday.  Will attempt my longest run on sunday am aiming for 13 - 15 miles, will just see how it goesimage

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

51 miles Princess- very impressive. I tried a nine miler this am but it was slow and hard- still not over the Coastal run I fear. I'll do another in the morning then midday I'm off to Malta for 10 days imageimage

It's self-catering so hopefully I'll not get as fat as I did on the all inclusive last year. I've packed my shorts and trucks and hope to stay in shape. But temps in the mid 30's will not help...

• Options

Hi everyone - back from S.France last night. Mostly hot and sunny, like trying to run in soup. Absolute killer on the longer stuff. Still, beats 2 weeks of solid rain like I seem to have left behind me. Dreadful. Managed to do 80% of my runs which isn't so bad for a holiday routine. I was hoping that 5 weeks after my bike accident, I'd be fully recovered, but it seems it's not the case. Back and shoulders still hurting and it seems like there's a knock-on impact that a nerve low down in my back, just behind the pelvis is really twinging (makes it difficult to do long strides when running). Might go to see my doc and see if some fizziotherapy or osteopathy (both?) might help. A bit sick and tired of this persistent discomfort now.

Ate loads of fresh fruit on holiday. Reckon I must have polished off at least 17 kilos of fresh apricots all on my own, yet I come back home and found out I've lost 1.5kgs in weight, down to a record low since I've bothered weighing myself. This is not good. Must eat more crap or find a good source of (gluten-free) beer or something. Chubbier is good.

FizzioFinn - it took a solid 6-7 months to be running again after my Achilles op. I had a very long rehab and rebuilding time at a sports physio. The op was in April and I started marathon training in December. I'd say it took another year for the pain to fully go away. But the repair was complete and I've not had a problem in the subsequent 3 years (over 10,000 kms of running in that time).

OO
    - that picture from the Coastal Run looked good. And I supose that would be pretty easy to combine with one of ATM's 'Wee Runs', although you'd have to be careful which direction the sea breeze was going. I'm hoping my deferred entry from VLM 2011 will come through soon.

Nice to be back, chums....

Anyone been watching Le Tour? Just awesome those athletes. So impressed.

• Options

hey guys,..  another hour or so and I'll be starting my 88 mile run..   weather looks good for the day ahead..  right now I'm fuelling and then will prepare my feet...  if you are on twitter, you can follow me @arch_2_arc

Good to have you back TD...  not so good that you have come back with less weight..    and not so good that you have your injuries....

Have a good holiday OO

• Options

You'll be under way now DV but I'll see how I can make that Twitter thing work.

TD - great to have you back.  Been watching le tour every day.  Fingers crossed for Cav tomorrow but hoping Hushovd or Boasson Hagen could pull something out of the bag for today's time trial.

I ran 2 miles yesterday and did another hour on the cross trainer and achilles feels ok - still a bit stiff, very slightly sore this morning but no worse than usual.  definitely very tender if pinched but physio advised that could go on for many months or permanently and to concentrate on functional side i.e. can I walk and then run pain free. After a couple of months off though 2 miles felt like 20 at the end - it really is like starting again.

• Options

Just listened to DV in person on Radio Kent (here) - safe to say the interviewer was well impressed with the idea of the Arch to Arc challenge.

TD - I'm a late convert to the Tour - started watching it last weekend only because they were cycling up to the Plateau de Beille where I was skiing earlier this year and I wanted to see what it looked like in summer. Now I'm hooked. I still have no idea what's going on or how all the jerseys work, but it's fascinating stuff. And all those lycra bottoms image image.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

RR, I'm having trouble finding the Radio interview. Whose show was it on? Did you record it anywhere offline?* Surely the Tour is just about the Lycra? Non?*

Badwater, DV ? * Joins queque of forumites who will be Defence witnesses when Mrs. DV kills you...* image Twitter remains uncharted territory. Come back and give us Luddites a real Race Report, in due course.

I'm off, tomorrow, for a few, very gentle, days on the bike. I'll take me shoes... image

• Options
    PF - I can empathise with you re the sweaty moments but no advice I'm afraid as I've gone with the put up with it route so far.  I am needing to take a drink with me for most runs though as I have found I am generally more sweaty when running even without any flushing
  • Options

USB:  don't notice when running - have been lucky that the "glowing" only occurs at night!!!  Am going for the "put up with it" route also!!  The joys of being female.  Off out with the boys shortly - just a gentle 4 - 5 miler on the cliff path should be lovely - leaving watch at home just enjoying the scenery.

Happy weekend to all - enjoy your trott DV - 88 miles a very long way impressive.

• Options
    ATM - it's Dominic King's drivetime show on Radio Kent, from 4 pm yesterday. About 20 mins in. Should accessible via the link above, or from the Radio Kent website.

DV post from twitter an hour ago:

'Half way. 43/44 miles. 10.5 hours elapsed time, which includes stopping time for food, drinks, loo etc.. feeling good. Still very hot.'
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

RR, is this  it? * I still can't find the actual interview......*

'Got message from DV at 48 miles.He's fine. Well...you know what I mean.

Finn is at the Belfast 24 hours. Not competing...due to her Achilles problem...but supporting.And in awe...

• Options
    ATM - can't do proper links on phone but if you copy and paste this it definitely works

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hxtry
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Thanksk,RR.* I've bought the 'plane tickets...No pressure...*

• Options
    Ultra Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)
    PF - I can empathise with you re the sweaty moments but no advice I'm afraid as I've gone with the put up with it route so far.  I am needing to take a drink with me for most runs though as I have found I am generally more sweaty when running even without any flushing

Wow - I must have been menopausal too when i was running in the south of France. Definitely needed a drink on every run and i was really sweaty.

Running to a demanding time in any race but particularly a marathon, can be psychologically gruelling. But to watch Andy Schleck riding in the tour time trial this afternoon, knowing that his winning of the greatest prize in cycling was being torn out of his hands by Cadel Evans, well it was a picture of the highs and lows of professional sport. Schleck has come 2nd in the race for 3 consecutive years now (although he may yet turn out to be the winner of last year's tour, if Alberto Contador is finally found to have benefitted from the 'Spanish Beef').

All I can say is after seeing these hard men race up and down mountains, sweating blood, breaking ribs, collarbones, pelvis's and wrists, then footballers just seem like a bunch of nancy boysin comparison.

Of course, none of those Tour de France boys can hold a flame to our very own man of titanium, Dark Vader. 88 miles running will be about 5km more than what FizzioFinn managed to pull off in last year's Belfast 24 hour race. Chapeau!

• Options

Hey guys, I had an excellent day yesterday.  A few drama's on the way and we stopped the run at 74.3 miles at about 20 hours elapsed time.  I had taken an hour or so off for sickness and that time includes general stops for refuelling, loo, etc...  Had some pizza and a red bull and it made me feel very ill.  I was sick but felt a lot better after.  My achilles on my left foot was very sore so I changed shoes and walked a few miles.  We decided to stop the run for no reason other than there was nothing left to prove.  I was feeling absolutely fine and I don't have any muscle fatigue or other injury.  Two of my toes are a bit sore and I may lose the nails.

The run was a practice to make sure that we have got the nutrition and hydration strategy right.  I think we have refined it now and know exactly what fuelling I need.

So..  74.3 miles done and I feel I could go and do it again today. 

Tomorrow is swimming...  the idea is to simulate the short gap in the a2a.

Fab..  feeling good, confident and close to being ready...image

For the stats people..  the total of my last 6 runs is 386.3 miles...

• Options
    Way to go! Must be a relief to get that out of the way.

But Red Bull is evil stuff. It was originally launched round about the time the Tall Ships race came to Edinburgh, and the marketing people donated crates of it for a ceildh that was being arranged for the crews and helpers. Of course, nobody knew what energy drinks were in those days, and we certainly didn't know it was full of caffeine. It gets very hot at a ceilidh, so people were knocking back several cans. Picture a giant warehouse down by the docks, full of sailors dancing and dancing and dancing....I don't think I slept for about 24 hours but it wasn't great on the stomach imageimage
  • Options

A staggering avg mileage in those 6 runs DV. Well done on a good, controlled experiment. Since when did you start messing around with Red Bull? Think that stuff is disgusting myself.

Did a humble 27k yesterday and attempted to do 19k at marathon race pace. An I simply couldn't keep it going. HR ran away as I tried to compensate for slowness with extra effort. Completely unsustainable for a marathon. It seems that since my accident 5½ weeks ago, I've lost an awful lot of fitness which is a bit depressing, as only 8 weeks until Berlin.

Not sure how I am going to pull this back and am wondering what a more sensible target will be to go for. Hmm.

• Options

Oh only a mere 74.3 miles then DV  -  slacker!!!!  All I can think of is Wow image amazing!! 

TD:  just go and enjoy it - see what happens you may surprise yourself!!  It was rather a large accident - from the piccies you've done astoundingly well to get to were you are now if you weren't so fit you would have had a lot slower recovery. 

A meagre 11.5 miles for me yesterday first 6 done in just under 50 mins so very happy with that as that did include a rather nasty hill.  The last 1.5 miles were really hard work so just trotted them along after a walk break.  Was warm - or was that just me glowing!!!!!  Rest day today, cliff path tomorrow after dog walk!!!