Options

Paris Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

DM....  yes, they need to be on the athletes head and you go shouting  lalalalalalallalala  and barking like a dog...    this will be my tactic on the A2A too, except that I'll also be skipping like a girl and making daisy chains...

• Options
    Well done Frodo. A fantastic achievement. It sounds like it was a very challenging course. I hope you recover quickly and are soon on your feet again.

DV when is yor A2A?

PF that run on the beech sounds fab. You are so lucky to live in Jersey.

Well the ironman food station was different! I got there at 7am and stayed until 12 noon. I never stopped for the whole 5 hours handing out sustenance to the cyclists, sometimes having to run after them when they missed grabbing the drinks etc. (ima they did slow down a bit whilst I caught them up). Great exercise for me and very enjoyable.
  • Options

Frodo:  imageimage fantastic and what a great race report!!  Makes my 13.1 miles on sunday look not very impressive at all.

Katb:  am a very lucky bunny to live here - the last 2 miles of the 13.1miles yesterday were from Corbiere towards L'etacq along St Ouen's bay - stunning.  Extremely happy with the trott as felt so fresh at the end, really watched pace and did a consistent 9.45 mm and feel fab today. 

Am trotting with running buddy tomorrow who pushes me for 7 - 8 miler then doing a 5 mile recovery run with the dogs tomorrow evening along the beach - oh and other running buddy is comingimage.

DV:  I would like to know what is wrong with skipping?

• Options
    Oh and as a side fact:  am off to try my hand at jet skiing this morning!!!  I know I'll get rather wet!!
  • Options

PriFi - I'm jealous again.  Always fancied giving a jetski a go on holidays but I am a bit of a Frank Spencer around aquatic sports (managed to break two toes parasailing a few years ago) and feared I could end up with a Kirsty Mcoll moment.

Frodo - You've made the shire proud.  Fantastic achievement.  Love the idea of having some stew in the middle of a run - it reminds me of some of the tales from Feeti in the Clouds.

• Options
    *Frodo* wrote (see)
    Good news on the achilles, LR image I can now officially call myself an ultra marathoner; Lakeland 50 done and dusted and it was a most wonderful experience. I can genuinely say I loved almost every step of it. Bleedin' knackered now - my spot on the sofa shall be my home for some time, methinks image

Frodo - what an awesome achievement. I love the fact that so many of you make me feel puny at different ti on this thread - it just spurs me on to keep pushing myself. I have to say though, the appeal of extra distance is really lost on me. I find it a huge struggle to run beyond 3 hours (undoubtedly because I run on glycogen and not fat) and can't find any motivation or pleasure when I get into those 'energy depressions'.

But heck, that doesn't stop me admiring the proverbial pants off those who do do it. Just brilliant Frodo.

Pri-Fi - jet-skiing is just motorbiking on water. Lean in to the bends and use more throttle. And Leeds Rob, a word of advice if you ever do try the sport. When re-starting the engine when you are hanging off the back, remember it is a JETski, i.e. it fires a powerful jet of water out the back. So it is worth knowing that you really ought to raise certain parts of your body out of the water whilst firing up the engine, otherwise you get one family jewel next to each knee cap - which could have a devastating effect on your tenting possibilities.

A lovely 24k before work this morning, with 9k fast. Speed seems to be returning back and pain is slowly fading away. Got to be happy with that.

ATM - you want an algorythm for 'running toughness' or something?! Suggest some criteria for the formula and I'll make you something up...

• Options

All I can say is ...  Jet skiing oh what fun!!!  the faster you go the easier the corners!!!!  Fabulous!!  Can I count if as cross trainingimage.  So lovely here didn't even need to wet suit up - which was great in one sense but rather scary for some as in a bikini I do look a little like a zebra crossing, lovely tanned legs to mid thigh then white up to bra level then lovely and tanned again!!  The kids just fell about laughing!!!  Lovely to have supportive families!!!

Leeds Rob:  you really must give if a try - so much fun!!!!

• Options
    Oh and just to keep up the activities - surfing wednesday, or in my case falling/drowning with style!! image
  • Options

PriFi..  we need photos...  I've never done it, but it sounds great   image

• Options

Evening all - back now from our two weeks in Said in Turkey... had the BBC Worldservice so well aware re Norway and Amy Winehouse... this track is one of my favs OMG what a wasted talent...

Fi - glad you enjoyed the jetskiing - Master NGUG has been on the back of a jetski at Stubbers in a very controlled situation and loved it .. think its quite interesting how they test their limits there.. Think re HRT etc. that mates at work who are going through the same thing seem to be trying the herbal remedies first .. doesnt seem right that you are going through this so early...

DV - well impressed with the celeb status - you are totally nuts as usual image

Frodo - well done Mrs impressive stuff image

TD - sorry to hear about your back hope it sorts itself out soon...

Was not very happy re running in Turkey went a couple of times and felt slightly unnerved by the locals  - also lost my fav Gracie top which I suspect fell over the balcony after I had washed it .. so would have had to wear a bra type top  which didnt help.. session with my PT when I returned has me aching two weeks of doing sod all is painful image

• Options
    Frodo - well done, what an amazing achievement. But exploding toes image ?

PF - are you in training to appear in a Bond film by any chance?

Up to 14 miles on my long run now - things are starting to creak a bit but holding together so far. Not really having a problem with running in the heat as long as I don't go too fast, but I think it does take longer to recover afterwards.
  • Options
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aFAEiMg9eKI/TGvRVE33JwI/AAAAAAAAL38/3k57Ge2OreU/s320/Ursula+Andress+%E2%80%93+Dr+No+%281962%29.jpg

PriFi really working the whole bikini/shells/dagger look.  Jersey 2011.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hello, chums...image  *You're looking good on the herbal teas, Princess.Stick with ' em...*

Well done, Frodo. Maras will be a dawdle for you now. Comrades, next? It can only be a matter of time before DV or Finn has you enrolled in something-or-other..

RR, you're making me panic..My long runs are about 10 miles..not nearly long enough.We're back to November-wether, here, so heat is no excuse...

Today , I will be mostly trying to put large ATM into small wetsuit.

• Options
    Recovery run - 27C - no garmin - no running top - soaking wet shorts - lovely image
  • Options

TD..    sounds like a man training to do Badwater with me...  image

Go on...  you know you want to..

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Those of you who regularly wear rubber suits...

How tight are these things supposed to be? I got into, and out of, the thing and could move my arms freely but I felt as if I was going to overheat and die. Granted, all this was in an overheated house and not on some chilly beach...but, seriously, is' tight' ..better? 

And what do you do with the zip lanyard during a swim? Does it get folded up and tucked into that bit at the neck?

And the wetsuit has one or two random ' grooves' on the torso...Flaws? Or just normal-for-neoprene?

Advice and ideas , very welcome.image * I'm never going to take up wearing this stuff socially...*

• Options
  • Options

ATM..  the wet suit needs to fit PERFECTLY..  it should be like another layer of skin.  No wrinkles or saggy/baggy bits. 

You start by getting the legs on.  It needs to be pulled right up to your crotch.   No gap at all.   When you have the legs and bum in, then put one arm in first and get that as far as you can before you try the other arm.  Be careful of long finger nails or you'l puncture the neoprene.  As with the legs, carefully and gently ease the neoprene over your skin.

When you have it up to your shoulders, get a friend to zip you up.  Push your shoulders back as far as you can while they zip and when it is fully zipped stretch your arms forward.

The long cord dangles loose down the back, after the velcro neck is locked into place.  You need this to get yourself out of it.

Make sure you apply vaseline around your neck, or the suit may chaff your skin.    I wear a rash vest to stop this.    If you puncture the suit, you can repair it with a bicycle puncture kit.

I don't know what you mean by 'grooves'.   can you show me a picture?

• Options
    I bought my rubber suit from Royles, and the fitting process was pretty much "If you can breathe, try the size down!". Once in the water they're a bit more forgiving so generally, the tighter the better. image
  • Options
    *reads back*

Congrats on the LL50 Frodo, that's an awesome result! image now get yourself tri-ing image
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Hello folks I'm back. Nice holiday, nice tan but lost my wallet a couple of days ago- very costly...

Will catch up and post later.image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/297347/Gallery/malta.jpg

Here are my lovely ladies on a warm Maltese night.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Thanks, SE.I'll practise getting it on.Or make some close friends in the car park at the beach...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Thanks , DV. I'm sending you a photo of the ' grooves'..I think they might be flaws image

O&O, we've just had to repatriate a student who lost his wallet. *As well as losing all his dosh, he was travelling on a European Identity Card so this involved a trip to the Police and then the consulate.I know it will take him months to replace all his various licences etc. It's an expensive  business. Buy a bum-bag image

• Options
    One man's bum bag is another man's fanny pack.
  • Options
    Thanks for the image guys image
    How's the Outlaw recovery going, SlowE? (Loved the report, BTW)
    I shall be visiting Royles for a wetsuit in the new year - need to get to grips with sorting my freestyle and endurance in the pool first.

I am contemplating a little bike ride or a run, just trying to work out just how sore my feet still are.
  • Options

After the exploding toes issue Frodo - hopefully they have been pampered and rested, Bike I would say rather than runimage.

NGUG:  oh the "glowing" is so much fun!!!  At mile 7 of my 10 miler yesterday morning had a "glow" and friend asked me if I was alright as I looked like I was "shinning" felt like I was boiling from the inside out - note to self, always run with a drink until glowing episodes have passed!!! 

Any way on a good note did the 10 miles in 1hr 27mins so happy with that.  My friend went on to do 22 miles in total (doing guersney marathon at end of august) in 3hr 13 mins - average pace of 8.45mm stunning!!!! 

O&O:  all looking lovelyimage

3 miles done this morning, 5 tomorrow morning and then 6 in the evening all good funimage.

• Options
    The recovery is almost complete, Frodo. Just minor aches and pains to go with the ongoing annoyance that is my big toe. It is definitely addictive though and I find myself spoilt for choice re: what to do next. In the meantime I'm putting your name down for Outlaw 2012!! image