Paris Marathon 2011

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Oooh that's a long en Princess. We're not in the same league as Tricky though- 70+ miles is beyond scary for me. Keep up the good work NGUG

Yes exam results appearing on the horizon Princess then the sad prospect of losing daughter No1 from the OO household image 

• Osteopath session this morning was excellent - feel much freer now. He said the muscles in my back on the injured side were like playing guitar strings - really lumpy and solid, not loose and free like on my non-injured side.

Anyway, no running for me today - I have to take the day off, so I might go swimming or even for a - - - - bike ride!!

Enjoy the sunshine everybody but don't stray too far from your jumpers image

• Well it looks like I'll be doing London Marathon next spring!!  If I don't get ballot place will be running for Jersey Hospice, my running buddy has "contacts" and apparantly we are top of the list of runners for charity places!!  So no Paris for me, but can I stay on this forum - pleaseimage, pretty please - ok I'm no my knees beggingimageimage
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Me too Fi- Congrats for that VLM is also special. But I might enter both just for the hell of it....

You seem to have a whole hospital load of resources supporting you Tricky- but if it's working....

• Fi - glad Ed has got to come over prior to leaving for Uni.. fingers crossed for the Claxton and OO households .. you are doing some good mileage there Mrs any thing booked up in the immediate future runningwise?  You will love VLM has a wonderful atmosphere - the crowds are very vocal so essential to put your name in big letters on your T shirt so they can give you support..

TD - image I am not sure lumpy and solid should be applied to a back eww.  Glad its feeling better now..

Recovery run for me on the treadie find it quite difficult to keep the speed down but got a good pace going in the end.

• O&O wrote (see)

You seem to have a whole hospital load of resources supporting you Tricky- but if it's working....

Supporting OO?! That would imply that I'm not having to cough up hard-earned cash for every visitation which I won't be able to get refunded from some clever insurance policy at a later date... No question mate, this is making me poorer at a rapid rate. But as they say in the shampoo ads, "I'm worth it"

I believe I deferred my VLM2011 entry to next year (although have never received a confirmation that this did in fact occur.....), so anyway, I am planning only one spring marathon next year. See you there Fi and Gee.

• PF and TD - ask me nicely and I'll have gluten-free jelly babies waiting for you at Mudchute!

Discovered today I get an annual medical with my new job. Wonder if I can slide a medical cert underneath the doctor's nose while I'm there...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good idea RR and take one for me....

Indeed, you are worth every increasingly devalued Euro.

NGUG- great to see you on the road to recovery.

7 mile club run last night- I was cr*p. Going back to work hasn't suited me image 

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

What happened, overnight? It's lashing down, here...Serious rain 'n' storm. I've switched on my mobile in the hope that running buddy will cancel 8am rum. She won't, though image

PF, I don't think actually running has ever been a condition for being here. Just as well...image

Time for the Gortex trainers...

• ATM - Gortex will just keep the water in - you'll get 'trench foot'.

Had a lovely non-running day yesterday that also coincided with a bit of cats n' dogs. Putting off my 23k run to this evening so i could also have a bit of a lie-in. Sun is shining. Time to worry about the systemic weaknesses of the Eurozone currency and the lack of a Lender Of Last Resort.... or not.

Running Rodent wrote (see)
    PF and TD - ask me nicely and I'll have gluten-free jelly babies waiting for you at Mudchute! Discovered today I get an annual medical with my new job. Wonder if I can slide a medical cert underneath the doctor's nose while I'm there...

RR - I've done that before - presented the Paris certificate under the nose of the Company Doctor when having a check up. Was no issue at all and saved me a trip to the GP.

• Hello folks. Great to see you are all still running and doing TRI TD?

Very lonely  on the injured bench ( happy to say) Getting callouses on my every enlarging backside.imageFingers crossed I will get back running by October. I am almost walking without a limp now , on the flat but can walk up small inclines on my toes.image 

Get out there and enjoy a mile or a km for me ,

• Hey Finn, great to hear from you and sorry to hear about the callouses. I suggest you get a friend to give them a gentle rub, at least it'll take your mind off not running

I'm trying, but not TRI'ing. I managed a 119km week last week, and did a 24k last night and a 16k this lunchtime. Seem to be getting my endurance up to scratch after my bike accident but don't think I've clawed back the speed loss I sense. Am going to race a HM on Monday (public holiday here in Belgium) so that should be a good test of what I've got in the tank.

Take good care and come back stronger. I'll chant your name during tomorrow's run (but you might have to send a pronunciation guide). You are definitely not forgotten. Just got a few too many 'N's in your name for a simpleton like me.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hang in there Finn it will all be worth it when you are back on form. A crap week here with only 1 run achieved- work doesn't suit me. I'm entered for a 800 Metre track race at the club this w/end- competing against 16 year olds- that should be embarassing. 
  • O&O: interesting rather than embarassing I'm sure.image

Finn:  after all your momentus achievements you deserve a well earned rest - will come back stronger than ever am certain.

RR:  that would be lovely - where is mudchute?

After rest day on wedensday - met up with running buddy who is quick (3hr 35min marathon) and did a 10 miler encorporating track, down hill, cliff path, along beach into head wind, uphill (severe) and cycle track - excellent route and done in 1hr 27mins 43 secs - was informed at the end that will be regular route and challenge is to improve times each time!!!  Running buddy did it in 1hr 25 mins so I have a long way to go in catching up - was the up hill that killed me!!!!!  Hey ho am trotting this morning with the dogs - a mere 5 miler!!!  Then running the sunny (hopefully) wolverhampton on sunday.

• Fi - map here showing Mudchute http://www.londonmarathonroute.co.uk/ 

OO - you'll be fine show those youngsters up image

Finn - take it easy Mrs you will be back on your feet in no time... I never was a very good patient.. but you need to give yourself some time to recover by the sounds of things.

Hill work for me today and 20k at the weekend booked into Brentwood Half marathon in March need to find someothers to aim for... 

• Hi gang(sters)! Did a 5.5k race at the work running club this lunchtime, maybe 10 of us lining up. My trapped nerve kicked in right at the start and I think after 200m I was in last place, feeling like i was dragging my right foot along the ground as i couldn't stride - pain was horrible. The leader was at least 50m in front of me.

Then the stride came back and the pain reduced a bit. After 2km got myself into 2nd place. With ½k to go, managed to get within 60-70m of the leader but he was able to pull away from me at the end. Think he finished about 30s ahead, so a decent result and it was certainly the hardest I've run in the last 3 months or so.

20:41 for 5.5K. Am now walking around like I've pooped myself.... which I haven't. Seeing the osteopath again on Tuesday morning - can't wait.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Rather settle for second best Tricky that risk damage. I did 13 miles at 8:20 pace to make up for a shocking week.

Mudchute is on the Isle of Dogs Princess. I went to school there before they built the Docklands business area. Can you believe we used to do cross country around the mud-chute when I was a wee lad. As the name implies it was pretty grim and I was a pretty average runner.

• Hey guys, I'm back..   had a week of swimming,,   I may be the slowest swimmer ever, but I keep telling myself its not about speed its just about keep moving one stroke at a time...  my confidence is up..  I feel good..  just about one month to go before the big day comes......................

• ...and Mudchute is also just before mile 17 of the London mara - round about the point where it starts to get interesting, painwise image .

Heading north at the moment. Apparently rumours that the police have been using watercannon on the streets of Edinburgh last week were untrue - it was just a typical Scottish summer image
  • You want to be extra careful in Edinburgh, civil unrest has broken out ....

Edinburgh Riots

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done DV, as you say it's all about endurance and enjoyment.

I have shoe candy. Bought a pair of Asics DS Racing flats today for my 800M tomorrow.

• You show 'em whose boss OO. Racing flats. Getcha. image

Loved the Edinburgh riots video TP. That guy was out of his head, in a wee kinda way. image

Didn't do this week's LSR today OO. Thought that a day of rest would have more benefit than anything I could achieve by training.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Adreed Tricky. Im on catch-up. 7 today, with my 800M in the middle gets me 35 miles for the week. Main target is a big 10k in a couple of weeks and an undulating 10 miler 5 days later where I'd like to be sub 65 mins.  Then I'm thinking about about the Carlisle half in October before some serious winter training.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

It'll be spikes 'n' steroids next, OOimage

No running, here. Floored by....a cold. Yes, I know that's pathetic. I'll just have to cosy up to Finn and TD on the bench..

Loved the video.

• Not another injury bench...   come on guys...  be careful out there...     TD and OO..  you are doing well.   TD, how is the concussion/dizzy spells thesedays..?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Mixed results at the 800M today. Came last in the A race to a bunch of teenagers with 30 years advantage. On the other hand ran 2:19:65 which is not bad for a first attempt on the track. 
  • Doesn't sound too shabby OO!

I've just had a (generally crap) 2 weeks off work, not helped by my achilles flaring up again.  Did 4 miles yesterday after giving it another 9 days of rest.  Off to a podiatrist tomorrow to see if he can get to the route of the problem.

• Just done a cracking session up in the forest, loved the descents, puffing my way upwards was flipping hard going but worth it for the buzz coming down again. 

Hope all those injured/ill are looking after themselves.  ATM, I'm counting on you for some last min training runs next month!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Afternoon, all...

Don't hold your breath, TP. I did 5k...yes, you read it right...this morning and I'm knackered.I'd like to blame the cold but.... * DV, if you don't get to Paris in my holiday time slot, TP doesn't get her training runs and we will both be stretchered off one of the bridges in Venice. No pressure....image*

Isn't is horribly near A level Results time for all you Sassenach parents out there? The adrenalin could come in handy , though...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes, Thursday is the day of Reckoning ATM.

Keep on puffing tartan.

Your having a tough time  LR but hopefully they can get to the root without too much pain....image