Paris Marathon 2011

1253254255256257259»

Comments

• DV - the dizziness stopped after 4 weeks or so - thank God! It was just awful. One moment you were fine, the next it felt like you were sliding off the side of the planet into a some mad vortex. Very scary. Especially when it happened once at work in front of a colleague. I think they freaked out more than I did!

I still have some soreness in my chest and shoulder but it's much better now. The worst thing about the bike accident is that it affected my back, locking up one of the vertebral joints near the base of the spine, trapping a nerve into my glutes. Saw the osteopath again this morning and he's told me to stop running for a bit if i want to get better. Which is an absolute bummer because it's just under 6 weeks to Berling marathon and I still fancied a crack at sub3, and this is when training should be at it's most intense. But I need to get better more than a sub3.

OO - seriously impressed at your 800m time. Good stuff.

I ran a HM race yesterday (public holiday here in Belgium) - the Dwars Door Zaventem. Was doing OK until about 11km but the nerve pain flared up and it was crippling. I had to stop for a bit then restarted but at a much slower pace for about 4km. I got back up to speed and caught back half the people who'd taken me, but I finished 30th instead of about 20th if I'd kept going. As it is only my 2nd times HM, it was a new PB by 3:51 - so I should be happy - but actually I'm not really. 1:26:59.

Energy now being diverted into healing. Might have to get back on that bicycle again. What could possibly go wrong?!

• Oh yes, come on LR - man up. You're from Yorkshire, carved out of granite or suchlike.

• Afternoon allimage well did a lovely 11 miles round bonningale in shropshire past RAF cosford and then back on sunday then 4 miles cross country yesterday. Rest day today - oh and travelling from wolverhampton to Essex for 4 hours - joy. Anyway running tomorrow and then using it as stress relief on thursday. No further than 6 - 7 miles but try to keep at least 4 of them at half marathon pace.

By the way am back in sunny wolverhampton on 4th september as am doing the half marathon there - again. Lets keep everything crossed that body and soul will keep in one piece.
  • Carved out of granite TD?  More like set from lard at the minute image

Podiatrist consultation done.  Apparently I have a good forefoot striking neutral gait and the achilles problems are '90% certain' to be the result of a sudden change in footwear to doing all runs in very low heeled shoes coupled with my advanced years and gender.  Seriously. 

I need to carry on with eccentric strengthening of calf muscles, do a good deal of work on stretching my hammies and calf muscles and collect orthotics next week.  Also, need to ditch my natural predilection for being barefoot at all feasible times for the next 4 weeks to help things settle. Should be up to running reasonably in 6-8 weeks.

• Rob's a dashing chap alright, just not at the moment.

Funny though, I consciously walk around barefoot as much as I can get away with. Maybe you need to think about stilettos for your new gait Roberta....?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good run Princess. And you tooTD considering the pain. If it's affecting your 1/2 M racing I think you can't realistically continue with heavy training and a fast marathon. A complete stop seems a bit radical though. Can't you ease back for a couple of weeks and see?

LR that seems a complicated diagnosis image 

• Blimey some tough love on here...   take it easy guys..

• Morning all!! 

LR - glad you have got a diagnosis - amazing that it could be just down to the change of shoes.. hope the exercises work..

TD - sounds like you do need to take it easy Mr and let yourself mend.  Wonder like OO whether a couple of weeks rest would help - Berlin's sometime in September isnt it so I guess you dont have much time to play around withimage

Fi/OO - fingers crossed for tomorrow - our results seem to be issued at something like 6 oclock in the morning.  Mr NGUG taking Ms NGUG into school to collect them which in itself will be a minor miracle I cant remember him getting up that early for anything.. trying not to think about them too much...

Good speed session yesterday.  Was v.lazy at the weekend as my PT was ill I did nothing on Saturday exercisewise and on Sunday I spent 4 hours gardening... knew I couldnt put it off any longer it was starting to look rather jungle like

• Back is feeling great today which is the first time I've felt optimistic about such things in a long while. I think I'll lay off from running until the weekend - try a few other non-impact activities instead - and then review where I go from there. Could be more rest, gradual reintroduction of running, or just get back on the programme.

But the good news is, I seem to be heading in the right direction after that locked joint was err, clunked back into place!

• Hello everyone.

I have been quietly reading about your news but saying very little, having had very little to say on the running front.

Since injuring myself in Paris (ITB? Knee muscles/ tendons? Not sure - hurt like hell though), I've tried to come back twice but not been able to shake a dull ache in my right knee which shows up from about mile 2, starts to seriously slow me down after mile 4 and makes continuing past 10k difficult.

So, I took the decision to abandon plans for an Autumn marathon and to have an enforced 8 weeks off; a total rest from running in the hope that would finally let my knee mend. I have 1 week of this left and I still get the odd (psychosomatic?) twinge climbing stairs or rushing for the train. Just typing this is making me imagine I can feel it. It may just be residual weakness from the injury, it may be something much more serious (I played a lot of crunching football when I was younger). I really hope whatever it is has healed - you should just about be able to grow a whole new leg in 8 weeks, no?

I'm focusing on a half marathon at the start of December, regaining a base and some speed through the Autumn, which should set me up well for a 16 week Paris campaign, kicking off on 16th Dec!

Less than a month until registration opens folks!

• Good evening...    sorry to hear of all of these injuries...   my plans are still focussed on swimming..  another big swim on Friday followed by 180+ miles on the bike on Sunday..  the bike could go either way..  if the weather is nice it'll be a treat...  if the weather is shite it'll be a totally grim day... 

• Don't know about the forecast darn sarf DV but the forecast for God's own county seems to be getting worse.  Yesterday morning it forecast sun for the weekend, by yesterday evening it was sunny spells and this morning its altered to showers.

Bad news that Dom.  I do think that after a bad one you kind of 'listen' for twinges for months after.  Little pains or tweaks that anywhere else in your body wouldn't even register consciously.

TD - take it easy buddy.  Plenty of training in the bank. 

NGUG -guessing you've got the news by now.

• Good luck to all those waiting to hear results today image
  • Morning all!!

Bit teary mum here this morning - well done Ms NGUG easily into Warwick to read physics phewimageimageimageimage imageimageimageimage Hope everyone else has got what they wanted Fi, OO??

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Well done, Ms. NGUG! image  *We're a bit sorry you won't be coming up here ....*

Is it possible to die of a cold????image Drowning in snot and self-pity, here..

• Drowning in snot would not be a nce way to go.

Congratulations to Ms NGUG!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Pleased to say my daughter got the grades for her first choice- Engineering at Sheffield. Daughter number 2 didn't do so well in her AS levels though....

• Well done all you super-parents! image
  • And today's exciting news is - after two engineer visits, one new router and countless calls to the world's least helpful helpdesk I finally have broadband again! Hooray for those lovely little green flashing lights! image

I remember results days well - I hid my Higher results under the bed for four days and refused to open them - my mother was livid. I wouldn't want to go through all that again in a hurry.

Day off today. Currently working myself up to go out for a 15 miler, although the weather seems to be getting progressively worse. Hmm...sofa...
  • LOL RR - you bad bad girl!!  It is a very stressful time though.

ATM - I thought Glasgow was lovely and was looking forward to some runs up there but Ms NGUG was so set on her first choice of Warwick (the actual course) that I think she probably would have gone through clearing if she hadnt got in.  She found out that she had a place circa 6am from the UCAS website and was crying so hard (relief and disbelief I think) that we had to give her a hug to calm her down - kept on telling her that she should be happy!!! 

OO - congratulations to your eldest so good that a girl opts for a subject like engineering - my dad and brother both did engineering.  Sheffield is a v.nice uni apparently I am sure she will have a ball (and hopefully do some work too LOL)  At least with daughter no.2 she has a chance to resit ASs if they arent as good as anticipated...

Weights for me at the gym today dont seem to be concentrating very well for some reasonimage

• Exam results..  a nerve racking time for all, regardless of what level they are...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Welcome back RR. NGUG take it easy pumping that iron.

8 miler for me. A run at last.....  

• time for the 2012 thread soon, eh..?     who wants to kick it off and turn out the lights here..?

• Go on then DV go for it ...
  • ok..    someone turn out the lights here and lets all migrate to the new thread...

Paris 2012