Paris Marathon 2011

Comments

• Gem

am free on 19th but am doing english half on 3rd August dont know if i could do two halves close together. Need you to kick my butt with some inspiration, will let u know when im freeimage

• Buggerlugs - if you can run a marathon (and you can!), then doing two HM's spread 6-7 weeks apart is ample time for recovery. No excuses now, you're just going to have to meet up with Gemster again.

Morning everyone. Lovely day of rest today. For exercise today, I shall be mainly balancing on my gluteus maximus.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Tough w/end of houswork for me, unpacking boxes etc. Didn't visit the computer once. Did a 2 hour bike ride yesterday and a bit less Saturday. It seems to go well with the hip so running on hold for a while. I also get cramp in my calves when I swim DV, but never when I run.

Welcome back Gemster, and good luck with the glutes Tricky, enjoy the rest.

• Morning all!! Blimey loads of posts over the weekend to catch up on.

Fi - how did the bbq go and being the corporate wife?  Hope that didnt contribute to your queazy feelings the following day?  Jersey marathon in relay sounds great - thats October time isnt it?  8 miles should be easy peasy.

Mr P - howdy yup family all fine - growing up quickly Ms NGUG only with us for the next year before departing to Uni... hope you and yours are all okayimage

OO - just go for it we all hate drs..(no offence DV).

Fizz and Buggerlugs - nice to see you back.  Thought you didnt like the crowds at Paris Fizz?

Gem - nice to see you back too - well done on the holiday running makes the holiday doesnt it?!  Or is that just me being sad?  We are going to Turkey in August so hoping to be in a fit state to do some running myself by then.

TD - that 29K sounds v.hard - did anyone notice you lying in the puddle - or did they just step over you??

DV - re swimming that makes sense - that MS lady sounds totally inspirational - might look out the Ultramarathon Man book for some holiday reading..

I made a few decisions last week too.  Decided that I am ditching PT Mick and going back to my original PT who helped me lose 4.5stone.  Aim being to take more control of my running instead of letting someone else do it for me.  Feels like a really right decision.  Old PT can whip me back into shape physically and get my diet back on track so I lose some of the weight I have gained over the last two years.  Went to session with old PT on Thursday and was so achy on Saturday jeez.  Also plus point of old PT is that Ms NGUG can come with me and exercise too. 

No news on the surgeon's appointment as yet. 

• FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Hello matesimage
     Er , i have already booked an event that is on April 10th. Gulp.

Can i just tag long here and pretend I am doing  Paris with you?

• What's the event Finn?
  • Fizz Course you can tag along image what are you doing?

• Wow busy weekend on here!

Nice to have you back Gemster and well done on your holiday running, I'm very impressed - such dedication to the cause! Let us know how you get on with the wobble board it sounds like a good idea. Having filled my flat already with random bits of plastic (and mainly ignoring them) I probably shouldn't buy any more. If it works though.....

TD are you taking a leaf out of DV's book and trying to become Superman? That's some mileage. I'm not surprised you felt the need to lie down in a puddle. Scotland has abandoned summer so it's perfectly cool enough to get some runs in if you can avoid the monsoons and gale force winds....

Still no running for me but I feel like the inflammation on those ruddy shins has settled down enough to try a short run tonight in my new trainers so fingers crossed. I've now been through just about every pair of stability shoes out there so I'm hoping its a case of these being just right, it's either that or I think I'll need to see about orthotics. I'd really rather not though. So my current training plan will be 1 mile every other day this week and then next week I may see about the odd two miler wooo!

Enjoy the cycling OO and get yourself to a doctor soon please.

Connemara ultra marathon image          http://www.connemarathon.com/

• A tad on the hilly side there Fizz image  All the best!  Have you got loads of hills near you to practise on??

• Fizziofinn wrote (see)

Connemara ultra marathon image          http://www.connemarathon.com/

Do you not live in Mayo?
  • Fizz:  you brave girl another ultra - how impressive is that - I just hang out here too, even though I do intend to do Paris 2011 - have yet to inform Mr PFimage. Fizz come to jersey for some hill running!!!

NGUG:  the corporate wife bbq went well - was there for couple of hours - it was a little like being on show but hey ho!!  Was just really off colour and very queasy - I don't drink so must have been too much sun!!

DV:  are you kicking your legs from the hip not the knee when you swim:  Just gentle move them up and down from the hip whilst in the water - don't worry about your ankles they should just be relaxed and hang.  For doing a long swim you really don't actually kick your legs they just move gentle.  Will be really hard work if you just let them hang, all upper body. 

Did a lovely and far quicker than I expected 7 miler today in 3 secs under the hour.  Never thought I would be so happy to run in the rain, it was bliss!!!

have to drive to get hills. There is one about 10 mins drive away that I will need to get practising on. Unless I canoe to Jersey image

North Connemara is Mayo and South connemara is Galway. There is a half marathon and a full as well for the "fun runners " image for those who cant make it to Paris

• Hello everyone.

Good to see lots of 2010 people here.
    April seems a long way off but I expect it will come round fairly quickly once entry day arrives.

Hoping to do Paris again. It was such a great experience.

I'm going through a bit of a personal crisis at the moment, but running is proving to be my constant.
    Mostly shorter stuff, but trying to get back to the long runs and build up the mileage.

• Evening all, I keep popping in just to see what is going on, but dont have much to say about my running as Ive not done any since April.  Hopefully cast comes off this Friday - cant wait but I guess I wont be doing to much running straight away.  HS - let me know how you get on with your run, ill be interested to know how your shin is after.

Gem - welcome back hope you had a great time - running on holiday - good for you, not sure Ill be taking my gear to Spain with me, may just do some cross training in the pool!!!!! may be better for the old leg

RP - hope everything in your life gets sorted out image xxx

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Evening, all. Welcome back Gemma and RP image  And the injury bench is clearning...image

Nothin' to report, here...except that the rain is torrential...

• Ooooh cast off on Friday yeah HG! Fingers crossed that that'll be the start of a good recovery for you. My little mile run went far better than my attempt at the end of last week when I didn't make it to the end of the street and I do think the new trainers helped a lot but it's still sore. It's such a deep pulling type of pain. However I've iced and stretched and I'll do it again with my exercises before bed. I'm determined to get rid of this. I will I will I will, Raaar!

Oh my Fizz, that's another one to add to the list of superhumans on here, good luck to you and hope the hills aren't too tough.

Enjoy the running RP, I hope the crisis passes soon.

ATM I'm hiding inside too. Brrrr.
  • Welcome home Gem. Great to hear from you again. Fantastic discipline on holiday. Well done.

My knee's fine now.  Went for the speed sesson with the club tonight and had no problems at all.

• Hello everyone, I'm new. Be nice to me...

• Should probably add that I just bashed out a climbing training programme and a core strength workout. Feeling rather proud of myself!
  • Hi

I have tried to enter the 2011 race but all the spaces have been filled up....any other ways (besides raising money for a charity) to get in?

Thanks!
  • John - I think you'll have tried to enter the 2010 event...2011 registration doesn't open until the 15th September image  You should have a month or so after that before it fills up, first come first served, with early registration (usually) a bit cheaper.  Bookmark the marathon de Paris website and keep popping onto this thread - you'll be reet.

SE - are you still living in Leeds?

• Sorry Gem forgot to say welcome home!!!!  Your hols sound great and you kept up the runningimage.

Will be taking my runners on holiday and trotting around the cote d'azur, up and down the hills around Grimaud and Garde Freinet, good hill training round there!!!

HG:  Wow cast off on Friday how wonderful - just take it slow though with the running I mean.

RP:  Running has saved my sanity through various crisis', just hang on in there.

ATM:  has it stopped raining yet?

Helter:  stop being a wooss and get out in the fresh air!!!

SE:  oh a newbie eh?!?!

• Don't panic Mr.Smith! Don't make everyone else panic either image

Great to hear you're doing OK Katb. Really pleased for you.

SlowEngineer. Welcome aboard. Tell us something about yourself that we don't already know or could ahve guessed anyway....

RP - hang tough big guy. People often find themselves in a crisis. Hoping this one brings positive outcomes for you.

My job interviewing process has gone a bit pants. I was down to two, but it seems the other person is in pole position. I have to wait until the beginning of September to find out if he makes it through the process. If not, I get a chance to prove myself. Hmmm. Not impossible, but small odds. Which means a summer full of nonsense as I consider other (destabilising) possibilities.

14K this morning, 8K at tempo (just over 4min/kms or 6:32/miles). Temps much better now at 22C. Feel like I can breathe again without having to chew on the air.

• LR - I am indeed! Think I asked this last year, but whereabouts are you based?

TD - Something you don't already know?! Errrm. Until January, I was a very picky eater. I never ate salad, tomatoes, mushrooms, bananas, onions, peppers, olives, or prawns. Yesterday, I ate all of these things in one day!

• PF - I'm hoping in vain that maybe if I introduce myself again, all my prior social transgressions will be forgiven. A clean slate is all I ask - I'll behave this time! image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
  • AToneMent for ones mistakes is always important... Though in this case, we'll let you off. image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Thanks, SE. And we'll be nice to you. ...although we had considered hitting you around the head with rolled -up newspapers as usual. image So, The Diet Epiphany's in January, too? You'll be eating haggis, next.

Great about your knee, Kat! When HGirl's cast comes off, the bench will be pretty empty.

That's a complete b*****, TD.  

Just back from 10 k in the sunshine...much of it walked during a long chat with a friend.Still...  I stopped to take a stone out of my shoe, leaned against a field gate, didn't see the wire connecting it to the electric fence...image It's a small charge but it gave me...well, a shock! Kinda woke me up, mind you...

Welcome to the thread, johnsmith. As LeedsRob says, you'll get in, no bother.

• Haggis? Maybe...

I have recently been making myself smoothies in a morning to take into work, they're cracking. Never would have done it before though! Bit of a run tonight, I think... image