Paris Marathon 2011

Comments

• I was out running DV. A mere 29K today (re: 30 miles!). Found it pretty tough in the 2nd half as I got myself completely lost in some forests near Bruxelles and ended up doing loads of deep, sandy horse tracks. Felt more like the Marathon des Sables than anything I am normally used to. Put in a fast 10K in the middle but really ran out of energy (despite sports drink in the camelbak and 3 lots of gels.

Saving my best graphs 'til later image

Delighted for your HG. I reckon you'll find the calf and achilles tendon will be one of the key challenges - getting them stretched back out again. Remember at this stage, you can only make things worse by trying to do too much too soon, so stay content with resting your leg.

My surgeon told me that the condition of the external scar was the best way to evaluate the rate of healing inside the leg. Both progress at the same speed. I still have a visible scar on my heel, 2½yrs after the op, and on 20+km runs, I start to feel it getting tighter. But no pain.

You can still see the doc before you leave OO - don't put it off! Do you agree NGUG?

• TD..  I had a bright idea this morning...  I had to do my run on my own without Mrs DV driving ahead with drinks/food etc..   so..  rather than carry loads of drink, I just took the powder with me and simply bought water in shops/petrol stations and mixed it there and then.    I also had a Red Bull at 15 miles..  never done that before.. it worked really well..   I finished strongly and feeling fine..  sitting here now with no aches or stiffness..    your run sounds like tough terrain...  energy sapping that sounds like.    I had a really good breakfast and two large coffee's before I went, plus 6 gels, 3 bananas and a chocolate bar on the move.  Good nutrition and hydration really works for me. 
  • Thanks for the film review DV we also want to see Toy Story 3.

TD I promise to take it easy, wont do anything at all until ive seen my consultant, and I have started to do some stretches today, but understand what you say about taking it easy.

3 more days at work and then 6 weeks off sorry folks cant help feeling a bit smug  image, bet you're feeling the same Katb

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

This is so exciting!

Artful Hen is on the bike at Roth. She did the swim in 1'16''. Go, Hen!

• On holiday from Friday.  We've not been very organised and are struggling to book a camp site.

So far we have enquiries sent to Gwynedd, Northumberland, Trossachs, Lock Ken and the Isle of Mull...

• That's a very random message LR  image    Can't you just turn anywhere with a tent..?

Thanks for the update ATM....   that's an excellent swim time..  go Hen!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

She was  6.20 at 120k on the bike. image

Mull? It's nice, LR. This  site seems to have a lot of info' about sites . * A friend contributes a lot of reviews about Scottish sites. *

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    She's through 153kms image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    8.46 for the bike and she's running. Go, Hen!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

no...7.22 for the bike!  image

• Sounds exciting ATM

HG we only break up on Fridayimage Death by worksheets and dvd's next week. Then a nice 6 weeks breakimage

We've booked into a holiday chalet in Dartmouth with in laws.  It's right near the college so I'm going to sleep there and keep a change of clothes in my cabin so I can run in every morning, shower and have breakfast there. Then run back in the evening. Should be good, I'm looking forward to it. I'll then be able to relax for a week with the in laws and mrkatb sight seeing. Something I don't usually get to do when I'm there.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    13.46. Superhen!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Superhen indeed. And super DV with 30 miles for breakfast. And Tricky why am I not surprised to hear you got lost in the forest? Nothing new there.

I rested from running yesterday but had 1.5 hours on the bike. Then spent the day working on the house including 2 trips to the dump- back breaking stuff. Managed another hour run his morning so 20 for the week. Then a bike session out with my daughter.  The new (old) bike is really fun- like riding a vintage motor car.

Pretty exhasted now but only 4 days at work before the holiday- woop woop woop (as Gemster would say image)

• Morning all!!!!

Had friends (yes I have some) over for the weekend and spent a lovely afternoon on saturday catching some rays and body boarding/surfing/drowning with style at Plemont Bay!!  Fabulous.

Did a 10 miler followed by 1mile gentle trott on beach then dog walked yesterday.  Was really pleased as the 10 miles was undulating - this is jersey - and done in 1hr 30mins exactly goodness knows what possessed me to fun on the beach at the end - oh I know I was waiting for the chief dog walkers to arrive, so its all there fault.  Was very hot by the end so I did raise some eyebrows in the dog walking community as I stood in the sea in my running gear with water at mid thigh height - just like having a cold bath!!  No aches or pains this morning at all.

OO:  Have you been to the docs yet.  Going anywhere nice for your holidays?

HG:  Great news about the plaster being removed!! Just take it slowly - am so pleased for you.

TD:  have a go at surfing it is such fun - excellent work out for core muscles and your balance.

DV:  oh only the odd 30 miles done yesterday then - you slackerimage.

• mornin' all. 

PF what a good idea, cold bath in the sea after your run - and what a great time you did the 10 miles in. It also sounds like you've got the surfing bug. You go girl!

HG So glad you've finally had the plaster removed.  I'll bet the leg feels strangely light now.

OO to continue the doc nagging.  GET TO THE DOCTOR'S!!

TD Getting lost in the forest? quelle surprise!

I'm having problems with my left knee again.  This time it's not the bursa which seems to have sorted itself out. It's a bit of cartilage moving about.  This has happened before but then it didn't bother me for years but now it's back.  Also my left hip is giving me some jip so I'm going to go to the docs tonight to see what she thinks but I think physio might sort my hip out (I think it's muscular rather than hip replacement job)and am hoping the doc will sort me out with maybe a scan on my knee.

• Morning all!!

TD - hope the cream worked image used to swear by the stuff...

OO - NGUG by name NGUG by nature.....I say nothing...image

HG - was it hairy leg time?  Take it gently know you will be sensible..

Katb - sorry to hear that the knee is giving you jip again v.sensible to get it sorted asap.  Keep us posted on how you get on.

DV - what are you aiming for now?  Is it another IM somewhere?

I did 20km on the bike yesterday followed by a gentle 7km run.  All seemed fine and am okay this morning.  Lovely weather for it but had forgotton that biking in summer means mega fly ingestion must have definitely added to my protein intake yesterday..image

• OO - getting lost in the forest again is a possible indicator of:
    - woeful sense of direction
    - adventurous spirit
    - Brussels region is much more an isolated wilderness than you suspected
    - distinct lack of agreement between French speaking Wallonian, Dutch speaking Flemish, and any language will do Brusselois regional authorities to produce a unified map of the area.

IMO, the 2nd and 4th indicators are real. I like to run on new paths, but as the area falls on the border of the 3 Belgian Regions and no one dares to make a map that even suggests that you are anywhere but at the very edge of existence, it' s pretty difficult to navigate. There's loads of signs in the woods saying things like "U bent hier" and "Vous êtes ici", right next to a big splodge of white nothingness. Grrrr. I always make it home in the end.

Last night's little recovery run brought me upto 102km for the week, my first even triple digit running week. Am so enjoying my Monday rest days.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Katb.

• afternoon all.

sorry to hear about the injury Kat. TD your run sounds immense - 30 miles! machine.

spinathon isnt happening now as the stupid receptionist booked me on a swimathon by mistake and the friend I was going with was done for spinathon, so I am no longer going as no more spaces. maybe for rhe best.

hair didnt quite go to plan, so not currently blonde. more of an auburn colour, but having blonde highlights back in a couple of months. marc and family like it, but this colour isnt really for me.

hitting a little bit of a wall with my running. I have no reason to complain, it is just very laboured atm and I feel like I am trying to run but I just dont have the energy to go anywhere. I did 12 miles yesterday evening and took me 2hrs15 which given my half marathon time is 1hrs44 then this is very slow to me, and its more a case of I was trying to go faster but was nothing in there. Then my mum made salad and i could only manage less than half of it and then i got into bed at 9pm! I was just so exhausted.

I don't know if this is due to me not being used to running in the evening and therefore my energy levels arent the same from not eating the same food. so my plan of action is to get up early next weekend and do my long run and see how that goes. Also, not sure if this is a stupid logic, but wondering if I am too skinny, so when there is no food resource left and it is fat burning then there isnt much for it to go on. I found myself getting stitch yesterday even though it was like a 11min pace.

I dont expect anyone to know the answer btw, just from using this last year I always think just vocalising concerns on here always helps, but like i say I am not injured so I dont have much room to complain. but as always thought i would just say literally what i am thinking!

on a more exciting and non running note - finchy stryder came up this weekend for the first time and met the parents! scary times. but everyone seemed to get on really well and I really enjoyed him being able to see the type of life I lead which is obviously very different to London, and was just nice being able to show him my room and boring stuff like my photos etc. Both parties seemed to like each other - so woop woop!

• NGUG:  impressive a 20km bike ride FOLLOWED by a 7km run - wow, go girl excellent stuffimage.   how is the hip feeling today?  Flies I so hate fiies!!!!!image.

Gem:  Try cutting back on your distance and just let your legs take you wherever they want to go.  Relax and just enjoy the trotting, try not to worry about pace and distance for a couple of weeks - just enjoy the running.  Hope that helps.  So pleased that all parties liked each other.  Do we need to start talking hats ...........image

TD: triple figures for weekly distance - wow, you will be flying round amsterdam - keep on doing whatever it is your are doing, it is obviously workingimage 

• Gemster - someone might pick me up on the maths or logic here but...

...the bottom end of healthy fat percentages for women is 20%, so a woman of 8st with 20% bodyfat would have 22.4lbs to go at...

...and each pound of fat contains 3500 kcals...

...and a 'typical' run might use about 100 kcals per mile...

...so...

...she'd have enough fat alone to fuel 784 miles of running.

Even TD isn't doing that much in a week.

I wonder if its just a bit of overtraining?  I was the same with my 12 miles yesterday - sluggish from the word go and knackered by the end despite pace being well down.  I put that down to weights & cardio the day before and a race on Friday evening.

• Unable to get a drs appt this week as she's on holiday, so it'll have to wait until next week.  I've made an appt with the physio for thursday to see if she can do anything.  The trouble is it comes and goes so it might just be rest for a bit.  Anyway, I'll know more on Thursday.

LR I'm sure I know the answer to that, but am also sure that TD or DV will be able to give you a far more detailed reason why you can't use up all that fat by running.  BTW 20%??? I think my body composition monitor might be faultyimage

• I've no idea what my body fat percentage is, all I know is that having just got a wii fit plus, all did our wii ages, mine came out at 52!!  Horrified, BMI of 19, and apparantly I need to put on about 1 stone in weight!!  So I just decided to ignor all that and just have a laugh on the thing!!  Mr PF's age was 62 - he was really not impressed.  Ms PF was 17 so that was good.  Did have a giggle as it was all about balance, which was fine until I realised I had to do everything in reverse - move left for right etc!!!!  Not good but thought I might try and see how old I could get my wii age to be!!!

Katb:  let us know how you go - nothing triggers it?  How does eating chocolate make it feel - better?image

• Katb - don't worry, 20% BF on a 'slim' girl in her early 20s is still on the low side. More mature ladies who have been through the child-rearing process will likely be between 30-40% BF. I think getting into the 20-30% range would be pretty tough.

It's quite an aside and i wasn't going to mention it (because it's probably depressing), but I did hit an all-time low on my BF this morning. It's no coincidence that I was doing heavy work with a wheelbarrow on a hill yesterday. 10.0% exactly.

Gemster - if I recall correctly, you had a big gap from running and then did just got back into it not long before you went away on holiday. Sadly, you will have lost a lot of fitness post Paris and conditions are much warmer now than when you were training back then. So inveitably, things are going to feel harder. With just 3 weeks non-activity, fitness levels start to take a dive.

So in my opinion-from-a-distance, there's nothing unusual here. You are just comparing yourself now to when you were at your best. The good news is, a few more tough sessions and you'll start pulling it all back together again. BTW, 30mile runs are strictly DV territory - I refuse to accept his praise, either by mistake or by proxy - HE's the machine. I'm more of a hand-drill in comparison to that big boy

• TD - yo and respec' on that 10% figure.  I've been struggling to get below 17% for several weeks but hope to make steady progress down towards 10% over the next 6-8 weeks.
  • It took me 2 years to get from 19.6% to that. Good luck Rob!  BTW Gem, he's dead right on the energy calculations. Most people have enough fat inside them to fuel the running of 80 marathons.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I think a pal had one of those fat measuring scales and got to 16% at my lowest. Heaven knows what it would be now, probably 16% chocolate.

Holiday is to Dominican Republic Princess- a chance to brush up my Spanish... maybe they will have a doc on the island NGUG, anyway I'll try to run as much as I can on the soft sand and take it easy.

• Morning all!!

Fi - my hip was fine after the bike ride and run.  Was supposed to be "warming up" on the bike before my run but in the end it was such a nice day I just continued cycling.. I am not a very good patient or patient at all in fact.. The only thing that is causing me problems at the moment is my glutes suppose something has to hurt!!

OO - take it easy have a good holiday shame you cant fit in that Drs apptment before you go...

Gem - I would agree with Tricky its amazing how quickly your level of fitness can fall away - and it is more difficult to run in the heat - now your knee is better there is no reason why you shouldnt be getting back to pre Paris fitness.  Glad to hear that FS got on well with your parents always a scary hurdle!

Gym session for me this pm.  Not sure whether to go to ju jitsu might well as feeling okay.

• OO - wishing you a great time in the DomRep, also good to see you guys getting in some good results business wise [skip para to avoid auto-talk]. Think the new J. looks like it could do for B-Crossovers what the Q did in C seg. Those new powertrain/ transmission products look pretty nifty too. I have been trying to tell our engineering teams to get over their complacency with their "lead" in hybrid tech and it looks like your boys have proven me right. Let's see what it can do once it's inside an actual product...

OO/ NGUG - I ate some soup yesterday and thought it had chicken lumps in it. Two mouthfuls of soft squishy chicken and i realised it was bread. Bad bad bad for the gluten intloerance. Had sore/ swollen guts for at least 18 hours. Anyway, the more I can't eat gluten, the more chocolate I seem to be tucking away. So i only record what the scales say, I don't try to achieve any target...

Anyway, I get lots of attention from women in the office these days. I think I bring out their motherly instinct. They see me and feel sorry, wanting to make sure I am properly fed or something. Musn't grumble.

Nice 13K this morning with 100m of fast 'strides' every km. Lovely, sunny and warm, but not too hot.

• OMG hold on to your running shorts everyone Im allowed to run a whole mile 3 times a week building up slowly to 3 miles over the next month whoop whoop !!!!!!! didnt think recovery would be this slow.  Ive been given orthotics which I first have to wear in my everyday shoes and then slowly transfer them to when I run.  Anyone else have orthotics in their running shoes, he did say they will take a lot of getting used to.  Somehow running 26.2 miles next April seems a very long way off, anyway on a brighter note only 1 more day before 6 weeks off, now that is worth smiling about

OO - have a great holiday, went to Dom Rep 2 years ago and had a fantastic time.

• Leeds Rob - thank you for the calculation, that is good to know and is reassuring. I am still going to try and put on a little weight to keep my mum happy!  but I am glad to know that i dont have to and i am not hindering myself by being quite fussy about my weight......also good to know I am not the only one feeling slow. hopefully we will both be speedy again soon.

PF - it definately was a scary step, but we are very much taking each day as it comes so no hats need to be purchased for now, but you will of course be the first to know if the situation were to ever change.

TD - thank you for the advice, that has calmed me down, and you were right I had time off with my knee injury. I did try to continue non-weight bearing activities such as cross training but was never to the level of our training for Paris, so that seems like a logical explanation. It is shocking how much it can drop so quickly!! but good to know I can fix it and gradually improve back up to my fitness level. I really must learn the skill of patience!!  I shall call you hand-drill from now on then as you refuse to accept my praise image

HG - I completely understand why you are frustrated, but I think that is good progress given that your leg was in a cast and there is plenty of time until Paris for you to build up your strength again. I know 3 miles seems like slow recovery but they will want to make sure you are in tip top shape before Paris and then you will be speedy like TD! - our hand-drill. image

In case anyone is watching the tour de france - FS is there today and thursday. Today he is sat right by the summit of the tournament in a yellow shirt and jean shorts - so i think he should be on the footage. I am sure this is far more exciting for me than anyone else on here, but thought I would mention it.