Recession

Comments

• I did indeed TP.  My success all the sweeter for being the youngest of 4, knowing that it was paid for in no small part by peeps who had no real interest in my passing it, let alone my three older siblings before me.  I was quite philosophical for 11.
  • Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)
    True Muttley - I'm sure there was a singleton or childless couple somewhere rolling their eyes at our free school milk and cycling proficiency certificates.
    If I didn't have to pay for all the stuff I don't use I would have plenty of money left to pay for my own elder care.
  • Nam wrote (see)
    Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)
    True Muttley - I'm sure there was a singleton or childless couple somewhere rolling their eyes at our free school milk and cycling proficiency certificates.
    If I didn't have to pay for all the stuff I don't use I would have plenty of money left to pay for my own elder care.
    If we're going down that line Nam, I'm afraid you're out of work.  I'm not paying for some peeps with social problems to be supported. Especially as they don't even live anywhere near me.
  • i kind of resent paying BDB his dole to have him post smart-alec comments on here, he should be getting on the bike he's using more often and go look for work!  image

• Nam if you really believe that, you must have a very expensive local library. If I had to pay for the NHS care I've had recently, my grand children would be paying the debt off.

Never mind single person reduction...I'd love someone to explain how if my hubby was in prison I'd have got the single person Council Tax, but when he was out on patrol, in his submarine, I didn't get a reduction.

• Too Much Water wrote (see)

i kind of resent paying BDB his dole to have him post smart-alec comments on here, he should be getting on the bike he's using more often and go look for work!  image

Fair point.  Although how I would have to dress for work at this time night would make cycling difficult.  Have ever tried to ride a bike in fish nets and thigh length boots?
  • Christ don't start me on what that new library cost!!

• If that's what the blokes in the 24hr Sainsburys are wearing these days it's good thing I don't go there very often image
  • Nam wrote (see)

Christ don't start me on what that new library cost!!

Just looked it up for a laugh... new central library in town, refurbishment cost yada yada... a mere smidgeon at £13.5 million. image
  • Kwilter with a K wrote (see)

Never mind single person reduction...I'd love someone to explain how if my hubby was in prison I'd have got the single person Council Tax, but when he was out on patrol, in his submarine, I didn't get a reduction.

I was under the impression that forces families receive council tax concessions when spending time abroad?  A few people I know certainly did, but it's not something I've looked into in detail.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/your_money/benefits/benefits_and_concessions_for_the_armed_forces_veterans_and_their_families.htm#council_tax_relief

• Just for Dave the Ex Spartan....

There are TWO Farmfoods in Chester! image

We only have one in Warrington and for some weird reason its next to SAINSBURY'S!image

• My life is so much better for knowing that !
  • I aim to please Dave....image

• You could have given post codes so the chauffeur can put them in his satnav

Anyway - I'm a pov now. No income coming into our house at ALL.....image

• You could always carry my shopping for me ? I could tip you a few bob....................
  • *gets on bike as suggested and heads for Chester*

Giz a job, I can carry things .......

• Dave doesn't have any money. He works for nookieimage
  • Yeah ?

I work for a different Swedish company ! Nookie are carp !

and feeling a bit of a cash squeeze after lashing out on the new bike

• Oh - whilst I'm short on that too, I'd rather have the cash.

*removes bicycle clips and puts kettle on*

• CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭
    If you wanna see real third world poverty - come to the land of the free and the home of the brave. Marvel at the soup kitchen line stretching half a mile into the distance, be amazed at the rows and rows of empty houses that the banks have foreclosed on - millions of boarded up houses in the inner cities and suburbs, millions of people without a home sleeping rough under bridges and railway arches - somehow it just doesn't make sense. Some of these people hold down jobs - they're not the image of alcoholic, drug abusers that the homeless are often portrayed as - they have families, they work - they just don't have homes - why?

In England with this current financial transfer of responsibility for public services to the uber-rich we are expected to stomach 40% cuts to welfare and public services, services that 90% of the country is only an illness, a redundancy letter or a marriage breakdown away from needing while the banks are hit with a what amounts to less than 1% a year less in taxation.

To smokescreen this though they announce how they are going to attack the public sector working conditions and welfare benefits (highlighting them against the private sector equivalents) and then sit back and watch the unemployed, public sector and private sector working class people tear each other apart.

This is classic divide and conquer tactics of the most basic and sinister kind and it seems people lap it up rather than seeing the bigger picture of who gets to keep wealth and who gets it taken away.

I wish people would see past their tribalism and remember that it wasnt the poor that got us here, it was the rich... and they're just getting richer at our expense!

In short, the uber-rich of the financial elite don't give a fuck about you and your concerns; they'll take your pension, your healthcare, your job, your home, your future whilst you get all hot and bothered over trivialities like who has a bigger crumb- the uber-rich own nation states, the politics within nation states... they own you and there is fuck all you can do about it - it's a private club - and you're not in it.

However, I'm doing okay with the recession, gasoline is cheap as are motel rooms, I'm partying hard - I start work in the best paid job of my long career in a week - what I come home to in 9 months is anyones guess.

I'm off to bed to sleep this off...

Hasta la vista
  • Hello Corinth image

You always manage to put into words what I would like to say but don't have the skills to articulate  and you paint a scary picture of the future, but I can really visualise it happening. image

People need to work together and start looking after each other, but I don't know if they will.

• Parklife wrote (see)

People need to work together and start looking after each other, but I don't know if they will.

Sorry, But happy to be selish... I'm looking after me and my own.  Let other people take responsability for themselves
  • It would involve a big culture change for some people Dave.

I am being looked after at the moment - a friend has stepped in and offered me have her spare room for cheap rent and I am helping with child-sitting duties and house/garden maintenance.  I have just split with my BF and was living in his house, so she has helped me out of a difficult situation as I can neither afford to rent or buy locally on my salary without starting to use my savings/mortgage deposit.

• yeah I like the idea of helping each other out - but people are too scared to club together - western view is all about ME ME ME!

• Not scared to help others out, What I do object to is people who take NO responsability and expect me to BAIL them out, rather than help
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Notice a couple of comments a few pages back about council tax and discounts.
    I was always in favour of poll tax (still am, even though I guess we'd now be worse off), to this day I still can't see why the vast majority were vehemently against it. 4 adults working in one house, 4 lots of local taxation, 1 adult working in one house, 1 lot of taxation. Sounds fair to me.
    Back to the OP, always had one car so can't really cut back there (live in a village with patchy services) not really changed a great deal else, but not perhaps spending on big items without shopping around. No pay rise in 5 years but once you can afford the basics you can make do without the extra 'luxuries'.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

"I was always in favour of poll tax (still am, even though I guess we'd now be worse off)"

I think that answers the question of why people were against it.