Options

MBNA Chester Marathon

Comments

• Options
    RoooRooo ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just signed up for this one too! My second marathon... and after Berlin last year fancied something smaller and hopefully less rainy! 

Sounds like it will be a great race - enjoyed reading the reviews of last years... Congrats simon on bbreaking the 4 hr mark - I would love to achieve this this year myself, but 4.10 might be a more realistic goal... 

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Andy and Chris

just got myself entered into this after knocking 22 mins of my PB last year on a great route it should be good to try and beat my PB again I was very impressed with this race last year this is 4 days before I turn 40
  • Options

Simon62w - Great that you dipped under the all important 4 hour mark - well done.  You will be very welcome to join us for the training run on 6th Feb.  No problems re meeting at Total Fitness, Andy & I will be at reception to meet you - see you on the 6th. 

The Roo - Great to have you on board, would be good to say Hi at one of the seminars/training runs if you can make it.  Am sure you will be able to break 4:00, plenty of time to train.

Compo 1 - Glad to have you back for 2011, all the best with your training for another pb just before your 40th.

All welcome to join us for the seminars/training runs, no need to be entered beforehand.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    is there a chester half anytime fancy that
  • Options

Hi Compo - Yes there is a Chester Half, think its going to be on 15th May this year.  Entries normally open Feb/Mar - keep an eye out as it fills up fast. 

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    ok but might be doing Eyam half that day which is a cracker of a race all the support
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    last year I stayed in the travel inn near Sainsburys is the race course with in easy driving distance
  • Options
    Hi yeah, the TI near Sainsburys is less than 3 miles away, but the racecourse is in the city centre & there are other similar hotels much nearer & in walking distance.  There is a Holiday Inn Express at the racecourse entrance - couldn't get any closer!
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    thanks looks like it will be that then if room
  • Options
    Thx Chris H, that's good, looking forward to meeting up on the 6th all being well.

Roo: Chester maybe smaller but October in the North West, I wouldn't be to optimistic about less rain. Are you changing your name to different animals?

Worked all weekend, so next lsr midweek, hopefully 15m, good luck with your training
  • Options
    RoooRooo ✭✭✭

Thanks for the warm welcome all! image

Chris H how do they work,t he seminars/training runs? Who does them and when are they? I am just getting back into half marathon shape at the moment after time off over Xmas and New Year.... so will may be catch you guys up in terms of distance by the end of the summer image... never mind, have read somewhere that a total break from running every now and again is quite a sensible idea.... (you read a lot of stuff! image) ...

Simon, yes, off course, you are right, but then it really cannot be any wetter than Berlin was for the marathon last year!! We had to run through little lakes by the end of it! Re the name... well it is kind of a long story... I organised a forum get together for after the Berlin Marathon (in a nice German beer garden that thankfully had an inside option as well!!) and so that we could all recognise each other I wore my Kangoroo's ear mask!! True story, hence since I had to be the Roo...

Happy running all - I am starting back at 6 miles at the moment....image 

• Options
    theres a website, facebook page and twitter with information.

seminars/run first sunday of each month. Meet in the lobby/reception area of total fitness in chester. Short seminar from coach/physio/researcher followed by a run. Different distances and pace depending on your ability.

Followed by a drink in the cafe
  • Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    So, actually paid my money now so looks like I need to start some training!! Got a couple of halves lined up for spring then maybe do Nottingham Marathon in September too if the training's gone to plan but we'll seeimage
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    put in for a Devon marathon 27th June so looking forward to that got spen 20 in march a killer of a course near Bradford
  • Options

Crazytown Emperor is right, you can follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Isn't technology wonderful image

Join the Facebook group and you'll even get invites to the training runs so you can't forget.

Getting quite a good following on Twitter too.

Andy 

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    seminars/training runs sound great- wish I wasn't so far awayimage
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    my emails are not working which is annonying had a good run last night and today now just resting

of walking later and swimming tonight
  • Options

12 miles in the sun yesterday image  Rest today and  4 Villages Half on Sunday.  Anyone else racing this weekend?

• Options
    p.s. My copy of RW finally arrived in today's post image 
  • Options
    RoooRooo ✭✭✭
    Hi Jason, I'm also a little too far away for the training runs...
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Roo- Hi. oh well, never mind.image 10m planned for tonight, but ice everywhere. looks like the treadie for me!
  • Options
    Chris H 26.2 wrote (see)
    p.s. My copy of RW finally arrived in today's post image 
    the Feb issue arrived today but no sign of Jan issue image
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    not got my feb one yet roll on October
  • Options

Hi to all, entered today, this will hopefully be my 6th and my second attempt to crack the 4 hr. mark with a new training programme. Going to make a long weekend of it as there looks like lots to do locally, might even get a bet on the horses if it's on that weekend.

Hope everyones training is ticking along nicely...

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I broke 4 hours at this last year I set a time I wanted at the start and got it dead on at 3h59 so this year going for 3h45
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    had a good swim today then a very fast run and feel so good now
  • Options

Digger - dead right there is loads to do in Chester so well worth a weekend break.  Keep up with the training & with the right programme am sure that you will break your 4hr target in October. 

Nice one Compo - sounds like the traning is going well.

I ran the 4 Villages Half in Helsby today  - perfect weather & great to chat after to so many others who have already signed up to race with us in October.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    it is going well

just wish RW thread emails would work
  • Options
    Chris: is Helsby on the Wirral somewhere? What time did you do? And while I'm doing the 20 questions, what sort of time are you aiming for at Chester, are you and Andy a couple of speed merchants?

Good training everyone, did my lsr midweek, 15m in 2:07:25 @ave 8.36 pace. I was looking for a spring mara, but may have to settle for a 1/2m and wait til Chester
  • Options

Simon:  Well done with your 15m run, you should be pleased with that.

Helsby is about 10 miles east of Chester,  I did it in just under 1:38, which was ok considering the traning I had put in.  Andy & I are organising Chester so will be too busy to run on the day; I'm doing London in April & hoping to do somewhere under 3:30 - need to train harder !!!