MBNA Chester Marathon

Comments

• Had a huge bowl of pasta for lunch, with a smaller one planned for dinner later, then a relax in front of the tv before an early night.

Setting off at around 6.30 tomorrow, in time to get parked a the course.

Kit laid out, bag packed, nerves jangling, just hope the race goes better than the rugby this morning image

Good luck everyone

• I'm felling like my legs have got loads of new niggles in since this morning, hopefully they are just nerves setting in and are really fine.

Jacket potatoes about to go in the oven for tea

• What time are people getting to the course? Is 8 early enough? I obviously want to be in plenty of time but also don't want to be hanging around too long letting the nerves build up.
  • Just had pasta for lunch, plan on a big jacket spud with chicken for tea then some serious carb loading with jelly babies in front of the box!!

Was going to go for a little jog latter not sure now normally don't run day before race but the plan I've been following has me down for a 4mile recovery run.

• Bin the run TR39 -  It will just use up the glycogen you have been carefully storing over the last 48 hours and will gain you nothing at all. Put your feet up and pin your number on your vest ( and charge your watch!)
  • Men Thats what I was thinking mate, so easy night planned, number already pinned, will put garmin on charge in a bit, gels in belt along with sweets, kit ready, cant wait for this!!!!image
  • TR39 - Hows your head? happy youve done enough? Just realised 26 and a bit miles is quite a long way.image
  • Gary OC - I plan to get there before 8, it looks like there'll be plenty to do. Lots of stalls etc. plus, it gives me time to go to the loo half a dozen times.

• Men Head ok mate, every now and again heart beats a bit quick when I think about it!!
  • I'm number 916 and will probably being wearing a dayglo yellow t-shirt (easier for them to find me in the ditch!), am just about to go and sort kit out now ... nerves really kicking in now ... don't feel like I can walk to stairs let alone run anywhere !

Mennania, was planning on driving in (leaving about 7:30ish) and hoping that legs able to cope with drive back !! (otherwise it'll be a plaintive call to family to come and collect me image) ... if you fancy a lift just give me a shout, although you may be hanging around for a couple of hours at the end waiting for me to finally drag my sorry carcass across the line !! Let me know. (and yes it was me on the 20 miler in Chester image ) .

Rob, your 12 miler sounds pretty much like its the same as mine, but starting from the other end (Stryt Isa and off round the golf course, before back along main road).

Right, time to go and wander aimlessly round the house under the guise of getting things ready !

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Well I did my 4- glad I did tooimage

Men- the first 26m is the worst. Seen some markers up in the city centre- didn't realise there were cobbles!image

Something else to think about! Oh- and bollards, so watch out!image

Been snoozing and snacking all afternoon. Off for pasta soonimage

• xe wrote (see)

just hope the race goes better than the rugby this morning image

Actually think the rugby went rather well this morning imageimage
  • Bruce - Jost dropped you a message. Cheers!
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Long day at work and way too many hours on my feet ... hope I recover overnight. Setting off for Chester shortly. All systems go... image
  • This may seem a bit strange but it might come in handy for a few tomorrow.

A few years ago a Doctor gave me tip on how to make yourself urinate. If you lightly touch the base of your back, in the centre just where it meets your backside then it triggers a urinating reflex in a lot of people. It always works for me.

(Told you it may seem a bit strange!)
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

gary- umm, thanks!image

Breakfast problem sorted- bought my usual cereal from Tesco, a tupperware bowl and a spoon! Just need to get some milk in the morning! 

• Cheers Jason! I did think long and hard about whether to post that and how to word it.
  • Julie26 - We don't have foil blankets sorry, but better than that, if you leave something warm in baggage storage you can pick it up just after finishing.

Was great to see many runners at help desk this afternoon, lots of familiar faces from the training runs all primed and ready for tomorrow.  

Sleep well all you runners, we can't wait until morning.  Organising this race have been an awesome experience for us and we have enjoyed every minute.

• Pasta eaten, watching Strickly and our Robbie did well, Wales win at footy, and Rugby all set for a great run tomorrow and of course anothr Wrexham win
    Yes Bruce my flat -ish 12 mile is 2 mile from home Mold to the A541 to Caergwrle Fagle lane stryt ISA, golf clubs, Llong 2 m back to Mold
  • 2000 postsimage

Half an hour feet up and then off to bed for meimage

Thanks agin Chris - see you tomorrow

• Hi guy sorry I've not had chance to join in the banter image had to many work commitments,  which is a shame cos it does seem to be one of the best threads I've been on for support and advice.

I was in two minds if to run because I developed a pain in the ball of my left foot this week, I think it's the new pair of work boots I've been wearing that has caused it, so stopped using them yesterday and things seem to be improving. I made the decision to have a go this morning but running in an old pair of well worn in trainers.

Hope you all have a great race and everything goes to plan and with a bit of luck see one or two of you tomorrow. I'll be wearing a red Horwich top wont get my number until tomorrow

• Well all done now, hair just been cut to the bone, bag pack, garmin on charge gels and sweets in belt quick relaxing bath, then bed. image

Good running to everyoneimage

• Off to bed to sleepimage. Not much of that likely.

KR - I will be lurking around the meet area about 8.30 if you are around - dont want to leave it till the line if possible!

Everyone - Hope the day brings what you want from it, but if you find your target is out of reach, dont beat yourself up, recalibrate and take the time to enjoy the occasion that little bit more! Finishing healthy should be everyones primary goal! Good luck and see you there.

• TR39 and et al - If you are about and want to say hi before the off the above 8.30 meet applies to all . Area 14 on the map on the inside of the back cover of the race day booklet.

See you there!

• MennaNia great post>>>>>
    Everyone - Hope the day brings what you want from it, but if you find your target is out of reach, dont beat yourself up, recalibrate and take the time to enjoy the occasion that little bit more! Finishing healthy should be everyones primary goal! Good luck and see you there.

Good luck everyone, seize the day, marathon runners are special, remember there are 2 types of people - those who've run a marathon and the rest.
    If you we get in a dark place - remember we are the fortunate few,

As for me I'm running half mile stretches, starting slow steady, my dream is a pb sub 4:17, half mile dedicated to my wife my daughters my work friends
    And hopefully if I can stay with my pal Dunc the whole 26 is for friendship

Must go n check kit, again, porrige at 6:30 ish leave home 730 ish
    Yay exciting
  • morning all !

weathers turned out nice I see image

• Morning all it's porridge o clock here in Mold
  • Slept like a baby - awake every two hours and crapping myself!
  • Oh dear have you any loperamide ?
  • not even sub 3 image

what happened to the flat course! image