MBNA Chester Marathon

Comments

• Well I can vouch for you running Men
  • KR - How are you and your  legs this morning?
  • The calves still feel really tight, Mennania. How do you fel today, could you make it down the stairs alright?

I had a bit of a nightmare run yesterday. Was doing fine up till 16 miles then I started getting cramp in my calves. The last 10 miles were utter agony and a mixture of running 200m then having to stop and stretch. Was looking for sub 3.15 and was on course for that. Final time was 3.36.32.

There's always next year!

• Mennania,

I was the photographer just in front of the finish line, and you were 3 seconds behind 185.

She was 318 overall. So give yourself a 319th! (Unless of course others are missing too???)

Once sorted into bib searchable order, all photos will be on mybibnumber.com

• Absolutely - it seems that yesterday wasnt a good day for targets for most,image I was a bit of a physical car crash after the run - going up and down steps sideways/backwards etc but beside my feet I feel 90%today. Am going for a 3m recovery jog later with a friend who wants the low down on my first run.

3.26.28 was my watch time and I slowed down horribly 20 through 24.

All experience though I guess

• Well done everyone! Some great times posted.

This was my third Marathon and i managed a PB image  4:37:50 so ive knocked 9 mins off my previous time.  Was hoping for 4.30 but the few hills at the end got to me and had the odd walk or two!

Would just like to say a MASSIVE THANK YOU to Chris, Andy and Chester Marathon Team who organised a fantastic marathon - it was superb and cannot fault it at all.  Loved the names on our bibs.  (Please give your tips to Edinburgh Marathon organisers as their Marathon was a shambles at the finish!)

Will be back next year Chester. image

• Tony - Many thanks for this! Look forward to seeing the results of your endeavours.image

• Massive thanks to Andy and Chris...top effort.

Having done last year as well, it'll be in my calender for years to come!

Does anyone know how many runners started?

Loved the course as well

• I was going to ask how many runners started so I could put my 847th position into context....;O)
  • Hi all!  Hope everyone is OK today! 

Huge thanks to Andy and Chris and all of the volunteers who helped organise a fantastic event.  It was a really great day.  And all the locals out supporting us in the villages along the route, clapping and dishing out jelly babies - they were a massive help when my motivation was failing.

Thanks to him upstairs for organising decent weather on the day too!!

My first marathon - 3 hours 35, really happy with that, I would love to do this race again, and will deffo recommend to others.

Thanks to everyone on here for their pre race advice too image (I was a nervous wreck on the day - I was the one sat crying whilst waiting for the start image!!)

• Mennania you can`t have been far behind myself,3.25:20,wearing Ackworth vest.

As for Knight rider,that could have been my race description,went for sub 3.15 too.On course at 10(1.12),on course at 13(1.35),even on course at 20(2.59),ish.Then the stop,starts came in the last 6 mile,with general fatigue in the legs and a big bout of cramp at 25 mile.Shame really as I finished barely out if breath,but just no speed left in the legs to recoup lost time.

But as you all say,.....and so to next year!!

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Chris and Andy have done it again they really know how to stage a marathon

this year knocked 15 mins of my PB from last year getting 3h44 loved the route the support from locals in the village and the good goody bag worth the money will be back next year

I have never seen such big toliet queues

did have to walk/run in the last 6 miles as legs where getting stiff but the support in the last mile got me going right to the end

next race Holmfirth 15 mile end of the month
  • Looking at the list of finishers through the runbritianrankings website, it lists 2374 finishers up to the 6hr mark. I don't know if the results are on UK results yet.
  • Hope everyone had good day yesterday.

Unfortunately I had a bit of a nightmare. Have been struggling with some injuries over the past 3 weeks, and wasn't sure if I should run. Managed to get to 12 miles without my knee hurting too bad, got to 16 miles when it started hurting and by 18 miles it was goosed. Unfortunately couldn't even walk/run and had to walk the final 8 miles.

Those 8 miles seemed to take for ever. Shame really as up until 18miles i was on track for a 3:40 finish which would have knocked 8mins off my only other marathon. Need to check but I think I took longer to complete the last 8miles than the first 16!

Apart from the above disappointment, I had a great day and the support was absolutely brilliant all the way round on what was a lovely course. Chester is a lovely little city as well. Going on holiday on Friday for 2 weeks, and going to lick my wounds and hopefully be better for the rest.
  • It was a good day and a very well organised event.

With having a few injury problems in july i did not know what sort of shap i was in.

Set of easy doing the first half in 2:15 running with my dad. Felt good at 16 miles and ran strong all the way to the finish.

Finish time was 4:24:57 ish

First time i got round a marathon without stopping and felt great doing a negative split.

Hopefully can now go and get under the 4 hour barrier on the next marathon.

• I'm walking ok but still a bit sore.

Isn't it funny how in some races the majority will say "I had a bad run" or " I did better than expected"?

I remeber Lake Vyrnwy last year when everyone I spoke to had exceeded their expectations, seems like at Chester most of us feel we would like to have gone a bit faster.  Perhaps there is some external influence we haven't cottoned on to!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Fantastic event - the organisers should be VERY proud.

3:32:43 for me ... bad day at the office. Legs felt rubbish from the off but, foolishly, I didn't adjust my pace to compensate. Enjoyed 14M-20M. 20M-23M was tough ... at 23M I had the most intense hamstring cramp of my life ... I hobbled the final 5K (including THAT hill).
  • Thanks for a very special event.

Personally had a nightmare.Just wanted to post a huge thankyou to  the people that stopped to assist me at mile 25 ish when  I  experienced the worst cramp I ve ever had.It effected my whole body and was absolute agony.Sorry to anyone that heard my expletives..I had ay bad tummy from 10 miles onwards and it wouldnt go away. 

I wouldnt have finished if it wasnt for the support of a lady that assisted me walking to mile 26 sacrificing her own time ,she was an absolute angel,even checking on me at the end.God bless.

Finished in 4.40.I was gutted but now just happy to have got around.Next time must stick to plan and not try to bank time.Should know better.

Thanks again. 

• My fifth marathon yesterday for me and a PB.I must say big thank you to Chris and Andy for a wonderful day. The whole event was superb,excellent organisation and a great course.

I must also say thank you to the wonderful support from all the marshalls and the people of Chester. I think the idea of putting our names below our numbers was a master stroke, having my name called when my legs were like jelly was uplifting.

I can only see this event getting bigger and bigger and that is down to Chris and Andy. Will be back next year and will rope in the wife for next year

well done

• Afternoon all image

A lot of people seem to have suffered from cramps, don't they? I was bang on target for a 4:45 finish up to 13 miles. Then I got a stitch. Managed to carry on (though slightly slower) with that, but at 16 miles suddenly felt a 'pulling' feeling under my left foot and calf. Tried to stretch it out but it would go away, so just kept going - but it wasn't pretty. Positive split of 15 mins, finishing in 4:58. Was pleased to get under the 5 hours actually, as at one point it was touch and go whether I'd finish at all.

I saw a lady on her back, covered in a foil blanket, being attended to by the St Johns Ambulance at 21 miles - hope she was okay.

The positive thing is that I am not anywhere near as stiff as I've been on my previous 3 marathons!

Nice medal and technical training shirt image. Organisation was spot on, I thought. A good course, if a little 'lumpy' in the second half image.

• thank you Chester for a superbly organised race,especially the volunteers and most those cadets between 18-23 who valiantly cheered runners running and walking.

i was runnning very well for 18 before fading badly for 4.29.

• A brilliant race - hats off to Chris and Andy and all the volunteers image

This was my first full mara and was advised not to do it as I had badly sprained my ankle a week before but putting in all that training I just couldnt face pulling out so I just wanted to get around - time was not an issue for me.

6 hrs 13 mins may seem slow but I am so happy to have compleated a mara !!

I was fine up to the loop section which where I really started to slow a lot - I hit my "wall" at mile 17 and had to have a sit down for a bit - I was fine but the St Johns guys were so good and checked on me all the time from then on - thanks guys

I met some great people who helped me along and when I finally reached the Racecourse my 2 daughters ran the last 400 maters & crossed the line with me - how good did that feel ? image

Checked results and I came 2382 - 4000 or so entered so I am pleased with that - will be back next year for sure

Nice touch at the end with a handshake and having the medal placed on as well - well done guys

• Hi all

Men Great time mate, sorry didn't get to see you hope they sort out confusion over chips time etc.image

What a great day, great race like many had major cramp from 17miles so didn't get 3:30 but still a PB of 3:48:48.....will try to beat this at Snowdonia in 3 weeks.....image

• Hi Shrek, It was nice talking to you at about 6 or 7 mile mark. Met some friendly people and all the supporters were great.
    I pulled up with sudden pain in my knee just before mile 25, after which I could only run about 100 yards at a time with walking in between, as soon as I got going again the pain returned.
  • well im glad on the race reports that this is getting such cracking reviews. I finished in 5hrs 13 which was a little disappointing, but in view of the serious injuries I have been having since June and starting my training finishing should be the relief.

I will be back next year to blow 4-30, but if anyone is in Chester today could they please pick up my legs and a few toe nails that appear to of deserted me.

Well done organisers and especially the person who helped me when I had picked up my medal and then literally collapsed due to cramp in both calves, that was so painful!!!
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Oh and when you pick up PN's legs, could you pick up my nice new Nike gloves that I dropped at around the 3m mark!imageimage

Men- hope you get your time sorted. Have you emailed?

Early evening tv- what's that all about???? Do people watch this stuff every night???? Is it sponsored by running shoe manufacturers??? No running for me todayimage Legs a bit stiff and being good for next couple of daysimage.

• Hi all

Well you can add me to the list of “could of done better” image but when all said and done the marathon is a distance that demands respect and can spank you when he/she wants, regardless of your training runs, your last half or any PB.  So this week I’ll be dusting myself down learning from the experience and easing in to a rest week and setting my next goal for a snappy half next April 2012.  

For my race I was finally hit by a the start of a cold on sunday and felt my legs were on back to front from the gun and knew a PB was out of the question by mile 5. One route I even shouted to an elderly lady seated on a chair with a walking stick watching with her husband that I could really do with her chair at this point laughed and waved.

That final mile was slow but I noted the traffic on our right was just a faster but my attempt to thumb a lift failed but amused drivers who tooted and gave me a lift and to the little girl who wound down her window as I walked home and shouted “Well DONE!!” thank you.

Chris and Andy in years to come should you ever get the get keys to the city mines a pint image well done to you both and all teams who put this show "on the road". 

Sherk ! – Well done one getting to that line having battled your daemons at mile 17 and crossing it with your daughter’s a priceless memory for you

Oh before I forget 03:39

Mr P (Andy)

• i thought that was you Jason D  - i think mark windsor may have them, although u did say you'd run back for them lol. I recognised the top but, couldnt think who it was thou! Cracking time you got mate!
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    cheers Matt- yeah, I said that I'd get them next time round- now I know why they weren't there!image Enjoy the warm fingers, Mark!image
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Mr P- tough look with the cold, mate- well done on getting through