Options

MBNA Chester Marathon

Comments

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    we all think we can do better but those last 6 miles are really hard work I was aming for 3h30 but got 3h44 which means I knocked 15 mins of last year I will work harder for next year to try non stop again and because of this ditching facebook games because this race means a lot to me and I want a non stop marathon badly
  • Options

Just About to start reading back.  But before I do so Andy & I want to thank all of you who placed your trust in us before investing such a huge amount time and effort in training.  It was great to congratulate and shake hands with many after the finish line. 

Thanks also for all the great race reports, really appreciated..

Here's to CM 2012 on 7th October and our fist time as organisers of the Chester Half Marathon on May13th.

Off to start thanking all the volunteers next, then the de-briefs and working out how to improve again for next year.

• Options

^^^Flatten out that hill at 24m image

• Options

Hi all.

What a fantastic day and a very well organised event from start to finish.  The calling out of peoples name is such a boost. 

4:01:22 for me.  Paced myself for 3:50 and upto 19 miles felt really good until i had a sudden rush of feeling sick.  Stopped and was sick.  Managed to get running again and then stopped at 22 miles to retch.  Got started again and after the hill I thought I might have been able to break 4 hours and really went for it.  Just out but I am getting happier and happier with the time.  Learned a few things like actually doing LSR slow instead of quicker than MP,  Also maybe a couple of more long runs. 

• Options
    Oh and well done everyone else.  The distance commands a lot of respect now of me after attempting it.
  • Options

big congrats to all who ran and thanks so much to everyone who helped organise.

top top day. finised in 3.32. met some top people.

anyone admitting to being te mysterious  mr. pink ? Big respect to him. Anyone know how he got on ?

• Options

Wow - so many great achievements from all you MARATHON RUNNERS.

Sub 3  Jason D – “Awesome” – was great to meet you at weekend – congrats on the sub 3 I know how much work you put into it – you fully deserved it – Congrats from all of us  

Carlsberg Marathon ... mmmm ... now that would be a great idea – what would we put in the goody bags?   Anyone know any of the “Big Cheeses” at Carlsberg?

Sorry to hear about so many cramping – we will look to buy Iso drinks with sodium for next year and see if that helps.

I know from my own experience that the marathon is a tough mistress, commanding respect but rewarding handsomely those who persevere.    It took me 4 years to go sub 3:30 and boy did I celebrate after!

Hills or "inclines" as we politely call them in Chester.  I’m running the Snowdonia marathon on 29th  - now those are proper hills image

• Options

Shrek -Me, my wife and my kids watched you and your lovely girls go over the line from the sanctuary of the 1539 bar.  One of the moments of the day for meimage.  You MUST post the piccy taken by Tony. Perfectly Sums up the day that was put together by Chris and Andy.

S3RJ -  Well done on your time pal and your new snappy handleimage Andy has messaged me within no time of my post and is looking in to my time ,their dedication is just unbelievable..

Has anyone come up with a logical explanation as to why the times didnt meet peoples expectations yet? I believe Liverpool was the same. Although, we could re-open the talk of hilly between 18 and 24 if we really wanted? Anyone get neg splits?

• Options
    Good times indeed

Great city,cracking supporters,enthusiastic volunteers, course great (until mile 24 undulation), flawless organisation.

Just like to say I enjoyed it from start to finish (yes the last two miles were painful) this was my third marathon I got a PB by 11 minutes at 4.19.36, felt like I'd actually run the distance and not struggled.

I've stopped saying this was my last marathon and never again, I guess I've got the bug.

Forward to 2012 with a renewed belief and commitment to training and those LSR's for marathons anew might get back to Chester in October 2012 though.

To all those regular contributors to the forum your words do help those less experienced marathoners.

• Options
    Maybe people were so set on it being a "PB potential course" beforehand some of the target times were a little on the low side? 
  • Options
    Chris / Andy you can congratulate everyone involved on a hugely successful event. From a runners point of view i can only praise you all, the support really was amazing, the water points were where they needed to be... everything was gr8 - same again next year please?
  • Options

Jason d well done a new PB a cracking time too come down yet  ? Cold wise - I was just thankful the race was not today as today I mostly be producing "green" and rather foggy in the head. 

Oh and before I forget somewhere in this thread I had a guide to prep and things that can gone wrong based on past events I have one new to add to the list "Care of ones BIB number beware"

On arriving at hotel I ensure all kit present for race day "shorts/shoes/top/bib number/watch/gels" - check place items in draw onced checked off. So 12 hours before race final check and it was at this point I noted the envelope with the bib was missing. HOW? I frantically emptied every draw in the room, checking double checking, then checking my suitcase anywhere no BIB could be found but I guess new max heart rate may of been reached if only I had my garmin on.

Again repeated draw checks failed I had honesty given up all hope I finally in a state of calm I decided to  physically remove the draws a little force/jigging was required and found said envelope/bib had in fact fallen down the back of the draws which 100% hidden from view - panic over.

One to watch out for hotel Draws eat BIB's yum-yum    

Mr P (Andy)

• Options
    Chris H -  Andy has been in touch and so has tony and I think you were the first face I saw when I blitzed across the line!  Figured out i was 319th and Tony has confirmed. Good times. Look forward to next year and the half. I am in with a sub 1.25 as target. Bring it on
  • Options
    Missed out on my pb by 1 min from Brathay Windermere in May.Well organised race.I agree with the posts that we runners were hoping for a pb but never materialised.I felt great upto the half way stage 1:45 min but the 2nd half took me 2:10.The drag from 14-21 was really mentally tuff and I felt like packing in.The support was great throughout and the houses around the border were beautiful I thought to myself I wish I lived around here.I wont be runningthis race probably due to I expected my pb but its another marathon to tick off.Well done again to all involved.
  • Options
    Mr P - look forward to next years pre race ritual list. will be in treble figures me thinksimage 
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I was one that did a PB last year I started at the 4 hour pen we had getting 3h59 now this year started in 3h45 getting 3h44

Chris 26.2 I am going to sign up for the half in May

I will do a marathon non stop and that will be yours next year going to put in that extra training to get it where I live in Saddleworth going to park car in carpark and run to Huddersfield and back which is 13 miles each way sometime next year
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Chris 26.2 - Thanks! See you next year- and in 19 days'  time at Snowdonia- say hi!image

Mr P- NIGHTMARE!! I had my number pinned to my vest before I travelled up.

compo- hang in there- this was the first non-stop mara for meimage 

• Options
    Wish I could do the half in May but I will be watching City win th premiership that day (hopefully!)
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    sub 3 Jason d

well done on non stop this was my 5th marathon and knew those last 6 miles would be tough

without Chris and Andy we would not have such a great race

after getting goody bag yestaday was walking back to car and to climb over tape across one of the gaps it took strengh to get my legs over

1st 3 marathons I did where blackpool but when they changed it to 2 laps in 2006 it just seem to put me of but when this started though will give it a go and glad I did and then came back yestaday for another go
  • Options

Chris 26.3 Thanks again mate great day, like JD see you in 19 days where there will be no doubt about hills!!!image

Think I will be doing half as well next yearimage

• Options
    image He probably thinks that's flat too!
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Mr Puffy

where does the half go
  • Options

Chris/Andy- Thanks for putting on a fantastic event, one of the best organized I've run in.

I was one of the many Stockport Harriers who ran the race and was wondering if there was a team prize?

Again, great event and I'll have another go next year.

• Options

Mr Puffy - The new half route is def flatter than the marathon, def no Sandy Lane hill. 

TR39, I'm already having nightmares about SNOD - last night I was carrying round ropes & crampons!

Jonah8 - The Stockport guys and girls nailed it by winning both team prizes - A great result for the town where I grew up. Cheques will be in the post v soon.  Looking forward to running the excellent (& def hillyimage) Stockport 10 again in Dec.

• Options

Chris lol me too dreamt I was running round Chester wrong way last week!!image

• Options
    I just want to add my congrats to everyone who ran on Sunday, it was inspiring to see you all proudly staggering past me at the finish (I was on goody-bag duty). Hopefully I’ll be running with you next year and I’ll take onboard all the good advice from this forum.
  • Options

Congratulation on getting your sub 3 time Jason - a really great effort and well deserved.

Glad you got your time sorted Mennania

Great race Chris 26.2. Although I didn't get the time I'd hoped for it was a very well organised event.
    Could do with a few more signs in the atletes villages, I struggled to find the baggae area at the start!

Good luck to all of you doing Snowdonnia in 3 weeks, you must be mad!

• Options
    Thanks Clinger to you and all the volunteers. Probably the happiest bunch of people in the world (said in a deep gruff voice) image and all the best for next year.
  • Options

Compo I don't know the new route for the half, the old route is pretty much the first quarter of the marathon but then cutting back to Chester instead of going out into wales.

Clingers I did see you at the finish but you looked a bit busy!

• Options

Well done to everyone on Sunday really inspiring stuff. So inspiring I am definitely going to sign up for the half in May

Compo - see the attached link to the proposed knew route for the Chester half.

http://www.chesterhalfmarathon.co.uk/