MBNA Chester Marathon

Comments

• Chris- Thanks for that, I knew the Ladies had won but wasn't sure about the men's team

Please come and say hello at the Stockport 10

• I'd agree great course, great set up, well marshalled on the course and and at the start and finish, but they need to sort out car parking, more specifically getting out, it nearly took as long to get out of the race course as it did for the first finisher to get round ( bit of an exergeration), it took me 1hour 40 minutes to get out. Not funny when you have run 26.2 miles and have a 3 hour journey home!

• What time did you leave David? We left about half one and were out in literally 5 minutes.
  • Here is my feedback from Sundays race:

Chester was my 2nd marathon and I thought the organisation was second to none, no problems getting in or out of the Racecourse, friendly Marshall's, great good bag, love the running top! I had a stinker so my next comments may be clouded somewhat but while I did think the course was quite scenic I wouldn't bill it as the most scenic marathon in England and although not mountainous it wasn't as flat as billed either. I don't think I would do it again although that is not a slant on the race organisers, just wasn't for me and IF I ever do another marathon I would like to try a different one.

• I think on the whole it was reasonably flat (although not pancake like VLM). You ought to try and do races in Leicestershire! I suppose it depends on what you are used to running on.

Park & ride is the way to go I think for parking Chester. My wife & kids met me at the end and they parked in the Brougham car park. Just a shame it didn't open earlier like the other 2 Park & Rides. There was a very bad bottle neck at the beginning of the race and as I was being dropped off we got caught up in this too.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    I parked at the law courts ... £5 for the day. I got caught up in a non moving traffic jam at the roundabout at Northgate, so decided to abandon it and went the long way around the city centre. When I saw the £5 car park sign, I couldn't resist. An extra £3 was well worth the reduced stress of having to find my way into/out of the race course.
  • This was my first marathon, finished in 3:41.  Overall pleased with the time, even though the last 6 miles were very slow going…

The encouragement from fellow runners, spectators and the really friendly guys on the bikes giving support really helped!! 

It was strange to hear your name being called out by strangers, but also a nice touch having names on the numbers I thought...

Thanks to the organisers – there was plenty of water stations and even a beach bar half way round image

The route was pleasant and relatively flat (compared to the Lancashire Valleys!) but the couple of slight hills towards the end of the race felt 100 times worse than they would be on a normal training run as I was completely gone at that point!

As for parking, we parked in the Market car park and had no problems.

• This was my 2nd marathon and finished in 3.04.35. The race was great, fantastic support, particularly when you came down the hill at the last mile and it had barriers for the crowd who made a fantastic noise. My only gripe was that it was billed as flat with only 331ft of climbing!!. My garmin clocked 620ft and told my legs at mile 20 when my 2.57 went tits upimage.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the route map for the half will car parking be at race course again been out on 6 min run today and felt good
  • LOL kevin, i guess the garmin sattellite in orbit a few hundred miles above earth randomly pinging onto your cheap sportswatch is more accurate than the guys who planned this and actually mapped the run on their legs

just like those GPS sat navs never go wrong

those hills were great at the end, gave you something to fight for. especially with all the crowds on them... sped me up no probs

keep it real bro

nice time tho, makes me ashamed of my 3.34 first time image

• Thanks Chris - fantastic organisation. I think that was you shaking people's hands at the finish?

I got a 3.32.54 and yes that was me puking at mile 25. There was something about the 24 mile water station followed by that 'massive'* hill that didn't suit me.

I've left my runners world feedback for this race and would urge everybody else to do the same so the organisers get the credit they deserve.

* When I say massive, my garmin actually said 45 feet. So I guess it's just perspective.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    back out running all ready and felt really good going to get more longer runs for next year and a non stop race next year

stayed at Brought permier inn the best one I think in a quiet area and will use it again
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Legs still stiff today, but went out for a very slow 4m and stretched afterwrds- much better for itimage

Now then, attention on Snowdoniaimage

• I had an enforced cycle ride. Had to drop my van off at garage so chucked a bike in the bike and cycled from the garage to work and then home, only about 3/4 miles in total but I think it had a beneficial effect image

Edit read 3 to 4 miles 

• Evening all

Legs not to bad today 4 mile recovery run planned for morning, just want to thank you all for the banter, tips, highs, lows and every thing else we shared on this journey!! Top bunch of runners you all are!!

Will catch the usual suspects back on Snowdonia thread and in less than 3 weeks running round those "hills" and hopefully catch up with you all on some road, trail, hill soon!!

Good running one and allimage

• Feeling worse today than yesterday which was easier than I thought.  Cold compress on ankle after ungaimly crack whilst standing up and swelling! No Biggy! Off to bed as I have a plane taking me to sunny Majorca for 10 days so thanks for the company over the last 3 months guys, been a blastimage

Stay healthy and catch you all in a couple of weeks.

• I popped onto this thread back at the start then got sidetracked! I wanted to post back though to add my congrats to the organisers. This is one fantastic race you have concocted I loved every minute of it. I don't think that there is much I could suggest in terms of improvements just please keep doing it & I'll happily keep coming back!

Genius moment whoever thought of the names on the bibs, so many people used them it was like having friends & family all the way round! Chester has alot to be proud of & they can add a first class marathon to that now.

Personally I'll always remember this one as the day I feel I really got to grips with the marathon distance, a 3:12 PB and my first negative split image I was feeling good in the last 6 so the 'hills' didn't really bother me too much. It was my 6th time out over the distance and the first one I'm walking away from knowing there's better to come in terms of times - although maybe not in Snowdonia in a few weeks! Thankyou Chester it was a pleasure image
  • I think it must of been just bad luck, we left about 2pm, I sat and ate first and got changed, perhaps it might have been that I was one of the first ones there about 7am right at the back of the race course, don't know what happened whether it was something out on the road but really it took about 1.40 minutes to get out (I had serious sense of humour failure!)
    I think looking at the threads it seems to pay to park outside the race course unless you finished early, I'll have to run faster!!!
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    well when I left we had to turn left and the queue of traffic on the other side so went a long way round back to hotel was going to walk from hotel but glad I did not
  • Just a heads up, the pictures from the marathon are up on Bibmynumber,
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Men- enjoy the holidayimage

Gary- thanks- will check out the photosimage

image Managed 4.17m tonight at below 9 min av pace- progress! Legs feel nearly normal nowimage

• LOL kevin, i guess the garmin sattellite in orbit a few hundred miles above earth randomly pinging onto your cheap sportswatch is more accurate than the guys who planned this and actually mapped the run on their legs

those hills were great at the end, gave you something to fight for. especially with all the crowds on them... sped me up no probs

keep it real bro

nice time tho, makes me ashamed of my 3.34 first time

Herk

I'm not saying the "cheap sportswatch" I was wearing is 100% accurate. The course was advertised as fast and flat. Most people have come on here saying it certainly wasn't flat. It was challenging in the 2nd half of the race there can be little doubt. I can only assume the race organisers measured the course on an even cheaper watch than mineimage

• The height gain surprised me. From the race info I understood it to be about 100 m / 300 ft.

However, my Garmin recorded +1,074 feet. So more like 300 metres. 

I'm not saying the Garmin is absolutely spot on, but for the Snowdon Race, which is said to be 3,200 ft climb, it clocked +3.208 last year and +3,184 this year (I must try to find the easier route next year too!).

So I can't help but feel that the Chester course was hillier than advertised - though not so bad as Snowdonia wil be in a couple of weeks ...

• Just looking at mybibnumber and spotted this guy. Race num 354 finished just behind me, hats off to the guy for finishing. I thought I had a bad day.

Apologies if it's somebody on here. image

You'd have to buy one if it was you.
  • FWIW my Garmin showed a 5 foot descent over the whole course.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    OL kevin, i guess the garmin sattellite in orbit a few hundred miles above earth randomly pinging onto your cheap sportswatch is more accurate than the guys who planned this and actually mapped the run on their legs

keep it real bro

nice time tho, makes me ashamed of my 3.34 first time

Herk

I'm not saying the "cheap sportswatch" I was wearing is 100% accurate. The course was advertised as fast and flat. Most people have come on here saying it certainly wasn't flat. It was challenging in the 2nd half of the race there can be little doubt. I can only assume the race organisers measured the course on an even cheaper watch than mine

the course I found to be fast the hills where not bad if runners want a flat marathon then there is Blackpool and Lancaster next year
  • I found the race to be not as flat as advertised, but still managed my PB.

On the subject of Garmin GPS watches, when you upload the data to Garmin Connect, you can get it to auto adjusts the elevation gain / loss stuff based on some kind of survey data (probably should provide more detail but I am guessing google will do the job) so normally the figures shown via Garmin Connect are pretty spot on.  A subject covered on a blog I often read, but fear mention incase someone else gets annoyed I linked to a blog..... image

For the record my Garmin 405 actually died 30 minutes beofre the race, had to rely on my normal wtach and a pacetat..... worked out well in the end though.

• Apart from mybibnumber, were there any other photographers about?  I thought I saw quite a few throughout the course, and the only photos I can see on mybibnumber (for me at least) are at the end.  Did Mick Hall Photos cover the race as well?

• Well done guys - my 3rd marathon and smashed 15 mins off London Marathon 6 months ago and was so proud to get 3.59!!

Doesnt sound a fab time to some on here lol but when you finally achieve a sub - 4 its REALLY special. I got 33rd lady in my Vet 40 category as well and 178th female in. image

I so wanted it at London this year but due to the heat, the tightyl packed streets where you were forced to walk sometimes as it was so crowded. This, on the hand, was scenic, beautiful and coming into Wales was wow!

I cramped quite badly but survived ok. At mile 18, a pain on the side of my knee was really bad. Looking down there was a wasp attached to my capri's  - I managed to get it off but not before it stung me twice.

I did a 1.54 first half but died a little after mile 20. The hill, especially mile 24, felt like mountains and I noted most people were walking up it rather than running - I had made a point of walking up it to have enough recovery to finish strongly. thank God for  the names on the bib. Loads of people cheering made me finish with a smile and a sprint.

Highlight for me was marshalls, spectators who came out with jelly babies and the old people from the home in deckchairs/wheelchairs outside waving with big warm smiles calling my name - very special image

• Fantastic Kim.  I think I saw you just in front of me on the hill at the end.