Options

Wetsuits

OK, I have been out of the loop for a while so I need some current information.....

I think (haven't seen it for a while) that my wetsuit is probably a bit knackered. So I'm wondering, if I get a new one, what's good out there for the 100-200 pounds area?

I've seen a 2XU wettie that looks OK but I'd like to get a few opinions.....and then probably do something different anyway....image

Cheers,

RB

Comments

• Options
    HI RB - recently 2XU seem to have had problems with their seams. I'm not sure how big a problem it is in reality but I know a few people that have had to send their 2XU suit back. What do you mean by 'probably a bit knackered' - if it looks ok then it's probably fine I would think. I would not buy unless you really have to - especially since the likelihood of Regensberg being a non-wetsuit swim seems quite high. if you've pots of cash and just want a new one then I like my Helix (as do several others I think) but since I've only ever worn two wetsuits I can't really make a judgement. Dr Nic might be a good person to ask.
  • Options

Thanks Melli....seriously? A non-wettie swim would give me probs as I am a carp swimmer.....I'll take a look at the wetsuit when I get back home but I've had it since 2005 and it's been in the garage. If it's OK, then you are right, I won't throw money at a new one.

I'll take a look at the Helix. I've also just seen a TYR one (entry level but not cheap)....

• Options
    the blueseventy range are pretty good i reckon.  if you can get yourself to the lake at reading next time you're home you can try them out.
  • Options

Cheers JD. I can get to Reading...

I'm now a bit worried about the water temp. It's 26 degrees today at Regensburg...what's the temp at which it becomes non-wettie?

• Options
    RB - I think it's 24 degress when wetsuits are not allowed. I think you really do need to be prepared for a non-wetsuit swim as the swim is held in a relatively shallow lake like Frankfurt so warms up easily. You've got a year. Burn your pull bouy image
  • Options
    Oh bugger....looks like I need to learn how to swim properly........image
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    WTC rules from Sep 1 2010

"Wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures exceeding 24.5 degrees C /76.1 degrees F will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots. Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 28.8 degrees C/84 degrees F."

RB - I'd agree with melli - if the wettie looks OK it will be fine to swim in and you're best spending the money on other kit

I also swim in a Helix btw
  • Options

Thanks FB for the word on the temp...I'm not up for any awards anyway....

I will deffo check the wettie when i get back home. I don't want to spend on stuff I don't really need. I can't think of anything else that I need anyway, so that's a bit of a bonus....unless you know different?

The Helix seems nice but it's a tad expensive.....450 squids.....

• Options

Thanks FB, I'd forgotten that they were changing the rules. I would guess 28.8 is pretty unlikely! I wonder how they will police that?

Prepare for anything though!

RB - blimey, the Helix has gone up a bit since I bought mine in 2007

• Options

Melli, I will be doing some serious swim parctice as i don't want to get caught out...

How much did you pay in 2007?

• Options
    I use a blueseventy now, I've worn a QR and an Orca in the past, this one is more comfortable.
  • Options
    Thanks IW. Mine's an Orca....For the first few wearings, I got terrible blisters on my neck...I think it was down to swim style(!) and lack of lube....haven't had that problem for the last few times.
  • Options

RB - about 250quid which was a reduced price IIRC.  You don't have to be a great swimmer to do an IM but I think feeling pretty confident that you can make the cut-off even if you have a bad day makes the lead up to the race a lot less stressful.

I use heaps of lube! body glide on my neck, forearms and lower legs and then baby oil once the suit is on. A girl can't be too greasy.

• Options

Mmmmmm....greasy.....sounds good....image

Actually, I now really lather on the Bodyglide around my neck and that is what saved me...also use baby oil....when you think of it with all the rubber and stuff, it's all a bit ......you know.....(insert appropriate adjective)....

• Options
    I love my two Xterra wetsuits- great fit, well made. And easy to spot yourself on photos as there aren't a lot about.
  • Options

certainly is a bit 'you know'

and not just because of the swim! i think the bike / run attire has massively increased in campness since 2005 - you're in for a shock! almost everyone wears school girl socks which are no longer simply black or white. In Roth many people were strapped up with coloured strapping over various parts of their bodies. Crashie reports the use of 'shrugs' at IMDE. Coupled with the german attitude to nuddity, there are a lot of laughs to be had during the course of an ironman these days. image

• Options
    I dont bother with bodyglide now apart from if i ever DO find a race that lets me wear a wetsuit. I just have a cheap rash vest that comes up past the neck - its prob saved me a fortune on bodyglide. How expensive is that stuff !
  • Options
    mellifera wrote (see)

certainly is a bit 'you know'

and not just because of the swim! i think the bike / run attire has massively increased in campness since 2005 - you're in for a shock! almost everyone wears school girl socks which are no longer simply black or white. In Roth many people were strapped up with coloured strapping over various parts of their bodies. Crashie reports the use of 'shrugs' at IMDE. Coupled with the german attitude to nuddity, there are a lot of laughs to be had during the course of an ironman these days. image

You can always rely on triathletes to push the boundaries of tasteful attire. I remember an early trathlon I did somehwere in the north east and seeing grown men poncing around the finish area in speedos and cropped tops, this was in a school playing field which I thought most innapropriate.
  • Options
    Changed from Ocra 3.8 to the BlueSeventy Helix this year, have to say the BlueSeventy for me is a much better wetsuit. Yes it is expensive, but well worth the money! But then again, if like Frankfurt this year the wetsuits are going to be banned, then get some 1-2-1 swimming lessons instead.
  • Options
    Might be an idea GOM, I guess I would get round but at what speed and what sort of shape I'd come out in, I don't know....