Tour de France

Although I'm basically a "once a year" cycling fan,I have found this year's Tour absolutely gripping.The cat-and-mouse battle between Contador and Schleck (2 outstanding riders at the peak of their powers) has been great to watch and today's final mountain stage was the best sporting action I've seen this year.

As well as the head-to-head for the yellow jersey,there has also been a great battle for the Green jersey,featuring Mark Cavendish against Hushovd and others and a really gutsy performance from Bradley Wiggins to hang in there despite being well short of his form last year.

Credit also to ITV for a consistently brilliant evening highlights programme.

Comments

• I agree, it's been a great tour but I think Brad was found to be very wanting (as he's the first to admit) and Cav hasn't really put up much challenge to Hushovd.  The interest for me has been some fantastic breaks from a number of different riders, a good fight for the green jersey between Hushovd and Petacchi and the cat and mouse between Schleck and Contador.

• I like the lycra clad bottoms and Cavendish has gorgeous eyelashes image
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Plenty of other bottoms on display near the end of today's stage.... not clad by lycra or anything else for that matter.image
  • I missed that Graham, I just watch the ITV 4 highlights show .
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    They're as hard to avoid as bare beer-bellies at a Newcastle United match. And about as attractive image
  • For me, Stage 3 was Paris-Roubaix in miniature, and it was spectacular as the race got broken apart on the pavé.
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Highlight for me was Cavendish's response to Mark Renshaw being set home; 'I'll miss him in the bedroom' he said before quickly correcting himself to say that he'll miss him as a room-mate. Was great to see him properly laugh and have all the press chuckling too.
  • Scotty. wrote (see)
    Highlight for me was Cavendish's response to Mark Renshaw being set home; 'I'll miss him in the bedroom'

The things a lead out man has to do

• Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭

image self moderated for being terribly rude. apologies to anyone who read my smutty ramblingimage

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Scotty. wrote (see)
    Highlight for me was Cavendish's response to Mark Renshaw being set home; 'I'll miss him in the bedroom'

The things a lead out man has to do

Scotty, I missed your smutty ramblings but did laugh when cavendish said that image
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    watched this on tv sometimes try the tour of Holme moss that road is steep and I mean steep
  • Another stage victory for Mark Cavendish.

He's not there to win the Tour outright ,but in a full-on sprint finish he's phenomenal and doesn't get the credit he deserves for  genuinely being the best in the world at what he does.

If he was French,Italian or Spanish etc,he would be a national superstar.

• Have watched the tdf since Stephen Roche's win in 1987 and love it, the itv4 coverage is great this year and i just can't get enough of the mountain stages. Still think that Bradley Wiggens is over-rated but maybe that's just me!!