Liverpool Half Marathon 2011

13»

Comments

• Just a quick reminder if you haven't entered we are fast approaching the 5,000 mark which means we have just 1,000 places left!! Great news but the limit will be looming soon.

We are obviously up on entries compared to this time last year so please enter as quickly as possible. I'll send a mass email out early next week to remind everyone so there are NO EXCUSES!
  • Cheers Alan i'll get entered later
  • Start / finish will remain as last year alongside the Arena!! Can't gain access through to Pier Head due to ongoing building work at the new Museum. Should be able to next year though.
  • Got my name down for this one. Decided on the Liverpool half and the Chester full. As an Ellesmere Port boy living in Yorkshire it's oddly satisfying to get back 'home' to see me mammy and be able to avoid visiting relatives by spending my time running instead.

It's a shame the Liverpool and Chester marathons have landed on the same day. Got the same issue up my way with the Leeds and Sheffield half-marathons. I know there are only so many Sundays in the year, but - note to organisers - try and knock some heads together before next year could you, many of us would love to do them both.

Oh, and my two'penneth on the cost front: extortionate, rediculous, but also entirely justifiable. On balance I have to say I probably prefer the smaller events, so I think over time I'll be doing less of the thirty quid ones. I do wonder whether more and more of the talentless (but regular) plodders like me will step away from these costlier races: will these events just end up being full of elite athletes after a win and first and/or only timers after an 'experience'?

Picked up a PB in the Brass Monkey last Sunday, have to see how close I can get to it in Liverpool - flat as the Vale of York this one is not. Looking forward to a good day out, see you all there.

• Will be glad tomorrow when I've finally got round to entering this, been waiting ages for pay day to come about.

• Is there two threads running for this?
  • Alan - cannot seem to find the link for the volunteers for the half? 

• The link is on the Marathon site. Email me alan.rothwell@btconnect.com
  • I'm in, I finally entered last night, woohoo
  • Hi Alan,

Entered by post last week, is there anywhere to check entry? image

• Need your proper name! Email l131k@yahoo.co.uk (that's L1310K but lower case) and Yvonne will advise.
  • Hi all,

When and where are the timing chips handed out?

• Hi, I've just entered online and everything appears to have gone through but I'm a bit concerned that the race limit has already been reached. Am I safe to assume that I'm in ok if I have a payment conformation email?
  • Alan - the race limit was reached weeks ago and online entries were closed but due to extremely high demand it was reopened to try to mop up some of the late entrants. If you have a confirmation of payment, I imagine you're OK.

But why did you leave it so late? This half was massively oversubscribed last year and the entries have been opened six months! You may have been lucky in getting a place this year, but I guarantee that if you left it till March next year you'd be disappointed.

This is the best half marathon I've ever run and it looks like word has got round!

I have already RECEIVED my race pack and bib number. They've gone out. Late entries mean more work for the organisers. So next year enter earlier!

*gives stern look and puts telling off hat on the table*image

• LB - I think we are looking at 10,000 next year on the back of the Marathon.
  • What great news Alan!

You'll still have people leaving it too late though - you know that don't you? image

• Got my race number at the weekend.  I've had a cold for 2 weeks and haven't done much training, but NEED to run!  My Dad is doing this too, and he's 70 this year - I can't get beaten by the old man, I just can't.  I will never live it down!

Also just seen that the clocks go back that day so it will be a nice early start from Birmingham for me image  I don't do early mornings very well image  Oh well, it's only 13 miles image  JFDI.

I don't know liverpool that well, but I remember the hill running up upper parliament street from when I did the half up there about 5 years ago.  At least it's early on this year.
  • You should get Garr to get his arse out of bed and do it too! image

It's MILES better having the hill earlier on. You barely notice it now.

• I hope you're right LB, it hurt last time.

Garr was suppose to be coming with me, but has a stag do to go to instead.  So he's let me down!
  • Bloody lightweight!

I bet Hope's tied him up again.....image

• Good Luck everyone tomorrow! Hope it all goes well!!
  • First ever Half Marathon for me, excited but a bit worried too, not sure why as training has gone to plan, running for the Liverpool Newborn Appeal as its my sons 8th Birthday tomorrow and he was in special care unit at the Womens for over 4 weeks, so owe them big time I think as they have done an amazing job looking after my boy. Many up as raised £650. up to now and never thought Id raised that much!  Well am going have to get my kit sorted now for the big day tomorrow and also check the trains from Southport are not replaced by a bus service as that has happened the last few Sundays. goodluck to everyone running and taking part and fingers crossed the winds not bad when we hit Otterspool xx