Berlin Marathon 2011

Comments

• I was in two minds whether to run this one again but have just taken the plunge and signed up.

Which pub are we meeting in?
  • I'll be back again next year.

lol Dave , I like your priorities image

• R Dave, your the Berlin expert surely you should be in charge of what pubs we go toimage
  • Don't worry DW20 - I'll have all that under control by the time we pitch up for Berlin 2011
  • Berlin is a great Marathon to be part of, do it !

You collect the chip at registration after you collect your number and goodie bag, I guess it will again be at Templehof.

Strange thing I saw at the 'chip desk' was a guy trying to register 2 chips to his number, why would he want to do that unless there was a bit of skulduggery planned?

You can always buy the event and finishers T-Shirts at the Expo if you change your mind.
  • I've just sign up for the Berlin marathon. This is only my second marathon, so I'm hoping it is as good as people say.
  • I've signed up! This year it rained for the first time in 20 years. so hoping to repeat it in the dry next year!
  • Anyone wanting to beat a target time, Berlin is the place for you.

For me the rain wasn't an issue and I would suggest that some long training runs are purposely done on bad weather days anyway, just incase on the day itself, it hoofs it down.

• I have signed up - better get in quick if you want a cheap seat - SCC Events say that 9000 have signed up so far, in just a week!!

I just love your avatar RD - is it you? image

• I signed up yesterday. My running buddy Dollyg and I aiming for a PB at Berlin but before that I am running alone in Barcelona.

RDave - a 'shock absorber' sports bra is definitely needed there!
  • Lovely to see so many friends on the thread already and looking forward to making many more. I signed up for Berlin the day after doing Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago, along with MrsTD. I PBd big time in the 'Dam and having run 3 maras this year, I've kind of told myself to lay off high training mileages a bit and focus on shorter distances and speed for a little while.

So, mentally, Berlin next year will be my placeholder for training hard again to try and improve my mara times. Starting to load up on schizel now in preparation

• I have signed up too. I'll be trying to run 3.20 to qualify for Boston, if they haven't moved the goalposts by then.

When I last did Berlin in 2007, I was 117 seconds too slow to qualify! Ouch!

• Elizabeth Ellis 3 wrote (see)
    I signed up yesterday. My running buddy Dollyg and I aiming for a PB at Berlin but before that I am running alone in Barcelona.

Snap! Barcelona followed by Berlin for me too....

• Big Wonga - Excellent, I am in good company then. Carrot (from the Amsterdam thread) and I are setting up a Barcelona thread if you are interested?
  • Incredible.  I am also doing Barcelona and Berlin next year.  Will be my 2nd and 3rd marathons having completed Paris earlier this year.  Am very excited about both!
  • Has anyone booked Berlin hotels yet through the official marathon website?  I was thinking it would be good to get ahead and get something booked but feels a long way in advance!  Anyone got any strong views as to whether the offers they are making are reasonable?
  • Hi Alex, I booked my hotel from information given on this forum from R Dave, who is the Berlin expert and is co-ordinating which pubs we go to next year.

Anyone doing London next year as well? 

• Thanks David.  I've seen the details now!  Will be great to meet up with some people over there.  I am going over alone but have friends in Germany but am not sure if they'll be coming to Berlin yet!

Didn't get into London this year unfortunately so am going to focus on Barcelona in spring.

Cheers.

• I'm in London DW20 and Berlin is my fall back if I don't hit my London target.

Berlin expert??? That's a bit strong! I went two years ago and my grandad flew some planes there and back in the 1940's but that's about it!
  • I do know a pub that shows all the football, does good burgers and serves beer. All bases covered for me!
  • Hi All,

I have now entered this one after missing out on the London ballet for 2011, soI  will do The Bungay marathon in the spring, and Berlin marathon in the autumn, Marathon numbers 13 and 14 for me I think.

I also took the fantastic advice of R DAVE (listed earlier in the thread) and booked up the hotel that he guided us to, and was amazed at the low prices, so me and the wife have booked up for 4 nights and are planning time to fit in the tourist bi,t as well as just chilling, during the weekend.

Hopefully we can get a good supportive thread going, and as in other years, make the forum, as much fun as the marathon will be.

cheers everybody

• Ditto with hotel - let's see if we can fill it with just marathon runners image They also have family rooms. 

For anyone that hasn't been to Berlin for the sights - take one of the bus tours, you can get on and off most, but be careful with the boat tour. We took a combined one when we were there for the half in March and tbh what you get to see from the river is not worth the time, at least that is what we thought. You have to queue early for the Riechstag, we ran out of time, but it is worth the wait apparently. So is a visit to the TV tower in the old east, but that depends on the weather though.

• Jeeez - I hope the hotel is OK or I'm gonna be real popular.
  • Quick check guys, is this the hotel you all appear to be using?

The All Seasons Hotel Mitte
    Brunnenstrasse
    1-2 10119
    Berlin

Says it's due to open tomorrow 1st Novemder
  • I think that's the one. I though it opened last year though?

I had read somewhere that it was new and figured given that it's in Germany, how bad can it become in less than 2 years?

• Good to see there's a few forum members in the same hotel for next year, shouldn't be a problem of sleeping in for the race. Should also be good for giving each other a bit of motivation when times get tough

R Dave wrote (see)
    I do know a pub that shows all the football, does good burgers and serves beer. All bases covered for me!

This make's you an expert in my book

Same hotel Stephen

• Given that were nearly all in the same hotel this should be quite a good thread.

I've thrown down an early marker today by 'shaving' an incredible 7 mins 20 secs off my half marathon PB! Did Worksop in 1:19:32

Anyone else run this weekend?
  • No run for me, as currently dealing with an injury on my calf, but I have managed to get out on the bike, 30 miles on Saturday and 50 miles on Sunday and cycling does not actually pull on the muscle, and it still enables me to get some training in when I can`t run.

Was meant to be doing a 10 mile road race today, which I was really looking forward to as well, but that`s the way the cookie crumbles.

Got my flights booked as well, l guessed I would do it early before they pile more taxes on them, some great British Airways deals into Berlin and it looks like we can then get the bus or tube to the hotel that we all seem to be booking into.

• Hi everyone,

I'm in for this, will be number 4 for me, did my first marathon on Saturday (Snowdonia) 

Four of my club mates did Berlin this year and two of  them have signed up again. 

• Have now booked into the hotel.  Seems a good deal  Flights with BMI.