Berlin Marathon 2011

Comments

• Wilkommen Chris! I'm going for a sub 3.30 too, but need to focus on endurance.
  • Plenty of time lads, just think of all that hot weather training ahead of you during the Summer! i keep reminding myself of that whilst training out there every night in the dark! image
  • i'll rephrase just for David (you'll get used to him!) image

by 'every night' I clearly mean 'every night' that I do train!

• Yep, can't wait for the long summer days. Missed my long run on sunday due to moving house so had to go out last night for 14 miles in the dark. Didn't actually start till 8.15 cos of work so it was gone 11 by the time I was home, showered, changed and had food.

Nice run though - felt in need of inspiration so trotted up to the thames and ran along the river path past battersea park to putney and back. The river was beautiful with the lights reflecting off it and almost no-one else around. Felt strange to be in a city of 7 million people that seemed deserted.
  • Shelf side, have a peak on hostelworld, I go all over Europe running and not had a bad hostel yet, even taking the mrs this time so I expect this will be the bad one! Ha ha

BerlIn seems so far away at the mo, loads of marathons booked in before this but this is my goal race for the year, hope to crack 2.50, a bit off at the mo but hope to get there, did Gloucester mara Sunday in 2.55 so a good base to see where i am, a need for some speed I think!
  • I am umming and aaing whether to do this year. I did a marathon last year and I don't think I want to go through the training again. But I want to do this. Is their a approximate time when the entries are closing?
  • I think it's usually full around March but don't quote me on that
  • I probably have to decide by the end of February then.
    If I go for it but I change my mind can I send it back? I don't want to let someone miss a place because of me.
  • Cheers for the tip muzza.

Berlin definitely feels a long way away - got plenty of plans before then, but it has to be my target race too, with it being my first marathon. Looking forward to the milton keynes HM in march - first race for me in years and should be a good benchmark of my fitness. Real not sure what sort of shape I'm in cos I've been doing so much easy running recently.

Alun, not sure about sending your entry back - would be pretty unusual if you can I think.
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Shelf side - What do you mean a long way away, it's only 241 days to go! image I'm on the same boat, I've got the Balloch to Clydebank HM in March and i'm real interested to see what shape i'm in.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Berlin does feel like an age away, not done anything other than some light running since Amsterdam in October last year.  This weekend is the start of getting a good base, ready for the big training push through the summer.

• Good luck guys, it's good to race for race prep on the big day, also racing I feel get you quicker. 6-7 marathons, a ultra, a 20m, few Halfs and 10k's will hopefully sort me out, plus I get bored training for 1 race. Helps me keep focused.

Check out www.marathontalk.com free podcast with some good information on there. Worth a listen, good for a listen on longer runs.
  • That's quite a race schedule muzza! I've always raced quite sparingly but think I'm going to do more now, without much of a taper for most of them. If you're training for a 10k, I guess running 10k at 10k race pace has to be a pretty good session!

I've got a 5 miler a week before the MK HM - should be a good tune up.

• Christ, that is some schedule! London and NYC maras plus half a dozen 1/2's and prob 10 or so 10K's will do me for the year!

I always run a 10K the weekend before a mara as i find it really helps to get you into race mode, and usually it turns out to be quite a good confidence booster aswell.

i'll also champion Martahon Talk, really good to keep you motivated, im currently playing catchup so listening to an episode each day on the way home from work/before training

• I will have to check out the marathon talk thing, sounds good.

As for schedules, well I have some lined up but certainly not that many, easy to overdo by entering loads of races, sometimes I would like to think I have a clear month ahead so I get nice training routine going.

• I agree, it's great to do a 5-10k week before a goal race, I have had some great results in the past. Not every race I do is flat out, just about running harder than in training, I enjoy racing but it's usually a build up to A goal race like Berlin.

Weirdly I have had some of my best marathon times a week or 2 after another, especially if I do 2 back to back then 3 wks after I run really well. Think it's all about playing around till we find out works fir the individual.

Good luck guys, look forward to hearing how your going, and yep check out marathon talk there great and Tom from the show is doing Berlin.
  • I'm in for this and really looking forward to it. It will be great to run one of the major marathons of the world and I can only imagine what the atmosphere is going to be like.

I have no personal aspirations (other than to finish) due to a 24 hour race the week before, but my wife is running her first marathon so it will be a pleasure to see her complete the distance.

• Hey, I am in for this. its my first full and the bf's second - I am really really looking forward to it!

Does anyone have any advice with regards to where to stay?

• I always use hostelword, find them adequate and there are usually plenty of choice, try and find something central near start, that's all u can do really! Get googling! image
  • Hi everyone - just popping my head back in. Focused on training for Paris right now, less than 10 weeks to go. Training in Jan has gone reasonably well, with only one missed run as I had a slight tear in a quad and thought doing a full-on tempo run the next morning would not be a good idea.

So I'm starting the year with 403km under the belt, compared to 300km in Jan 2010.  I'd considered easing back a bit for Paris and to use it as base training so I could have a really good push in Berlin, but I guess I'm not finding it easy to ease off and maybe the best way to be even faster in Germany is to be a bit faster in France.

BTW, fast is a relative term right image

I've only ever stayed at one hotel in Berlin, in the first month it was open. I think the overnight prices are 5 or 6 times higher than what I paid, now that the occupancy rates are up. It was 'quite nice' in The Ritz.

• Thank you! *scuppers off to get googling (0;
  • Got to admit, splash out on a nice hotel and staying there for the week to have a look round the city after the marathon.

That's lots of miles TD, nice going. I will stick with my 25-30 a week until May (I have a big cyclying event to do) which will then leave me 18 weeks of slowly increasing the mileage and build on the long runs. "I have a cunning plan" image
  • Tricky, u stick to staying in the Ritz I'll stick to eating them, I am happy in my hostel image not had a bad one yet and there cheap, clean and people are always very helpful for directions etc. End of day a long weekend all u need for a room is a comfy bed and a clean shower, I'll be out looking round city.

Berlin is much better course than Paris, so don't worry about ya time there to much, focus on Berlin, did it 3 years ago, narrow and over crowded, nice marathon tho, but £10 a pint 3 years I dread to think what it is now.
  • Muzza - staying in The Ritz was a one off activity I promise, and I was on expenses at the time. Choosing between the posh hotels and the cheesey nibbles, I'm afraid my resources are more towards the snacky side of things. But it really was fun as a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

I'm also gluten intolerant, which means I now save lots of money not being able tobuy or drink beer. Which is a hard thing to take, given that I live in Belgium, the land of interesting (and affordable) beers!

Which makes for an interesting thought..... has anyone tried to make a ratio between their annual budget for alcohol and running shoes?

• Ha ha I have also given up beer, (apart from the odd occasion I actually go out!) went on a crash diet last year and lost a load of blubber, No bread No Beer!! Coeliac is a bugger food wise people dont realise what you cant eat when you have it, a ex girlfreind had it so i know, althougth that was 20 yrs ago now so its probably much better nowadays.

But the beer thing......they give it away free on the finishline so I will have to have a couple then!

Belgum has nice beers, I run Brussells a year or 2 a go so sampled some good and some bad! image Unfortunataly it was night before the race! image

• If it is the same beer they had at the half last year it is the 'alcohol frei' variety and after running is  image

Budget wise for me running shoes win hands down against beer as I only drink a few theses days due to age related bladder problems image After the first 2 I am better off pouring it straight down the drain saves the constant trips to the loo after each glass!!

• That much they serve in the Netherlands can't even be classed as beer anyway Dolly image
  • Haven't posted in a while but I've finally booked my accomodation so I'm all set, just need to shake off this Achilles tendonitis I've got and start running again!!!!

Got a busy year ahead I've already ran a pb at the Central Lancs Half closely followed that with this injury and on the agenda have the Trafford 10k, Wilmslow half, Leeds half, Yorkshireman Olympic Triathlon, Great North Swim (2 miles), A day in the lakes middle dist tri, Ironman UK and finishing off in Berlin.

Berlin really is my major Target tho, I've got a marathon pb of 3:13 which could've (should've) been sub 3 if not for a massive attack of stomach cramps and "the gingerbread man" (marathon talk listeners will know what I mean) on Barcelona last year, so I will be gunning for that magical sub 3 come September (Achilles allowing of course)
  • Relaxing with a bavarian weissbier after 6 miles of continuous hills in the alps. Never run at altitude before and after that I'm not sure I ever will again! Nah, was actually pretty good but felt frighteningly slow at times. I'm at about 1600m at the moment and the run took me up to about 1850m with lots of ups and downs. Could feel the lactic acid pooling in my legs on some of the uphills. Strangely satisfying!