Options

Berlin Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Simon, your a man after my own heart! PB'd at Barca last year, prob thanks to the cold weather (wasnt so thankful when we got snowed in on the return flight!) Gingerbread men only only show up for me during interval sessions, its alway touch and go! tore my Achillies last summer and have been battling back ever since, mainly due to my impatience! one thing i will say is take it easy wiith the recovery!

SS, just finished a seriously hilly session in Nottingham, thats about as close to altitude as im getting this year! with the wind here at the moment running uphill was akin to being on a treadmill, not seeming to get anywhere!......most def UNsatisfying! 

• Options
    Shelf side, altitude training? Hey that's cheating! image god I did that Swiss alpine k42 in Davos 2009, now that was a test!! You live there or on hols? gotta go back sometimes k78 dont wanna do it but it's gotta be done!

Marazion 10k tomorra, a good test if I can stay on my feet in this wind! Anyone else racing this wk?
  • Options
    Any advice on flights to Berlin, got everything else booked but finding it hard getting flights from Scotland
  • Options
    DW20 - Me too. I cannot find flights from Toulouse to Berlin. It is looking likely that I am going to have to drive to Barcelona first.

Speaking of Barcelona, only 2 weeks to go until the Barca marathon! Presently tapering with a hunger that could put a ditch-digger to shame.
  • Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭

David - We booked flights from Glasgow to Berlin Schoenefeld return through Sleasyjet for £160 each all in. The flight is still available but i see the prices have gone up since then. There was also flights from Edinburgh if i remember correctly.

• Options
    AW4,
    Not sure whether you've signed up yet but Berlin had just 5000 places left as of 4th Feb so will likely be full before the end of the month

Hope training and racing is going well for all. Have been easing back into the training post-injury. Just started running "sessions" again this week, first time since Sept. Have first race in 6 months lined up with Fradley 10k on 13th March. Anyone going to be at that one?
  • Options

Well at the moment not doing long runs, maybe max 8-10 miles, will do one every now and then.

Will start building long runs into the training at the beginning of May, which is 18 weeks.

• Options

Does anyone know if there are stil any places for this up for grabs? I don't want to do a charity run this time as I don't want the added pressure for my first marathon, but I can't find where to register for regular spots.

Many thanks in advance

• Options

Eek! Found it eventually (unless I've just been ripped off by a company called SCC).

Yep, I've entered. Will be my first marathon. I am, as they say, bricking it.

• Options
    Welcome to the bricking club Jimmy....
  • Options

Sorry Chris I can't see a brick on this official chart image Yes I still have it TD!!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/388152/Gallery/460px-Bristol_Stool_Chart.png

• Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭

Thanks Dollyg, my soup just tasted all the sweeter after seeing your post... image

• Options

So, does anyone know when the organisers send details about the event or anything?

At the mo, they've taken my money and sent a confirmation email, but I've no idea what comes next.

I also paid the 8 Euro extra for the medal engraving. Anyone know how that works? Will it have my name on it when/if I cross the finish line; I can't hang around in Berlin waiting for them to do it retrospectively(!)

Yeah, so this will be my first marathon. Quite worried/quite excited. Would love to hear anyone's insight and info on the event.

• Options

DollyG, you obviously spend you day working very hard, just like meimage

Jimmy, I think you collect all your info and stuff before the race. No idea about the medal engraving. Keep cool....it will be alright on the night. 

• Options

Of course I do Chris image, just like now as I prepare to cycle home in the snow. Yes it is currently snowing where I work near the airport in Amsterdam.

Glad to be of service Alan!! image

Jimmy - I did the Berlin half last year and from what I recall they sent a letter to you nearer the time which you then exchanged at the Expo centre for your race pack. Engraving I think was in a tent along side the finish area. Others might know better for the full and I have been a sleep since then!!

• Options
    RDave, is that hotel room still available??
  • Options

Cheers for that Alan, got flights from Glasgow, cost me an arm and a leg though.

Hows Barcelona tapering going with one week to go Elizabeth

• Options
    Dave White - I am totally neurotic! The family have banned me from using the word 'marathon'; I must instead refer to the 'M' word. Apparently, everything that I say leads to running. Seriously though, I am really looking forward to Barca. Here is hoping for a PB.
  • Options

Crikey!, Berlin has sold out 2 months earlier than last year!.

Best of luck at Barcelona EE3.

• Options
    Snake hips - hotel room still available if you want it.

e-mail me at david.palmer7@virgin.net
  • Options

Loving the stool chart Dolly and top marks for using it in context. image

Been a bit busy as have recently changed jobs and am focused on training for Paris mara at the moment - 39 days to go. Elisabeth - hope youa re enjoying the taper for barc - if your body is demanding food, give it some. Just avoid eating lard sandwiches. Keep on with the light protein and long carbs. You'll run a cracker in Spain.

How many days is it to Berlin.... anyone?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I need to get my running mojo back. I've been fairly light on running since Amsterdam last October.

Might sign up for the Polariod 10ks which are local to me, force me to get focused again. What are peoples opinions on racing a half three weeks before Berlin? I normally do the Glasgow half, but I'm not sure of racing that so close to the marathon.

• Options
    I wouldn't have a problem with it Eggyh73. I'll be racing (5 Miles) on the Wednesday night before London this year!
  • Options

Yep, I agree with Dave there Eggyh, I always race a 10K pretty much flat out the week before. 9 times out of 10 you'll be in great condition going into that race due to all your marathon work so usually the result gives you a real confidence boost that carries over to the big day! I dont think i'd do anything over a 10K so close though.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Thanks lads, I think I'll give it a go. It's hitting just as I'd start to tapper, so should be a good marker for my pace.

I'm not in the same league as some of you in terms of pace, aiming for a sub 4 for this one.

• Options
    I did a HM one week before I did Amsterdam last year (where I scopred a huge PB). I ran the HM maybe a couple of mins slower than I think I could have achieved if I'd really pushed it. I don't think I carried any fatigue over to the 'Dam with me but I was careful to do the taper properly and really rest up (sleep well).  3 weeks out should not be an issue at all Eggy.
  • Options
    AAaaaaarrgh !

Over 6 months to Berlin and I'm wondering if I'm going to make it.

Last weekend I got hit very hard on the side of my left knee - ruptured MCL, displaced fracture of tibial plateau and poss (but hopefully not) damage to ACL. MRI scan tomorrow to check ACL and op. day after to pin/plate tibia.

No idea what the recovery time for that little lot might be, but I don't think I'll be managing the 18 week programme I promised myself. Aimed to get sub 4 this year after 4.12 in my first M at Berlin last year. Very do-able, I felt; plenty of room for improvement.
    Maybe I'll be on a get-around, walk-jog plan by late Septembr

So here I am, lying in bed with Betty Swollox, feeling sorry for myself, with a message for all of you out there training for Berlin or indeed running for any reason:

. . . . enjoy it, savour it, revel in the joy of just running . . . .

because you sure as hell will miss it when you can't !

Run well

Kelvin
  • Options

Kelvin - just a little bit too much info at the end of your piece there, but not quite enough at the beginning! HOW did you get hit very hard on your left knee and by what? Is there something we can learn from your mishap (apart from perhaps, don't mess with organised crime?!).

Sounds like you need to start finding a good sports physio who can help you do a good rehab treatment. Most regular phyios work on the basis of trying to eliminate pain and restoring basic function, but as a runner, I think you need to push a bit further and it can mean starting from an altogether different place with the physio treatment.

I lost most of 2008 to running after a serious achilles/ heel operation but within 5 months of starting running again, I achieved a marathon PB. The treatment was a springboard to much stronger and more sustainable running. Good luck mate, and maybe open a bedroom window hey...

• Options
    Kelvin - what bad luck; wishing you a speedy recovery.

I ran the Barcelona marathon last Sunday. What a fabulous venue. Really well organised, great scenery and highly recommended for a spring mara'. I finished in 4:09:25 which damn nearly killed me. I wobbled over the line, was offered help by 3 medics and by the time that I had explained that I didn't need their kind help, realised that I had forgotten to turn off my Garmin!

DollyG and I will be running the Berlin mara' together and we are aiming for a sub 4 aren't we Dolly?!