Prate help please!

Hello!  Please can you help a newbie to do their very first ironman distance tri in 2011image i have only done olympic distance tri's but have now got the bug and want to do the real thing!! 

After being cheeky and reading some other threads you pirates seem like a fantastic bunch and your advise would be invaluable.  Which IM distance race would you suggest as first timer??   I'm very excited and cant wait to start training....starting monday...too soon?!?! image as I do have  a few marathons to do in oct/nov so need to start asap.

Also can I become a pirate?  And get the kit?  Or is that only possible once you've done an ironman? 

Thanking you all in advance

Comments

• There is a kit thread just add your name - order will be going in around September.

The pirates are going to Regnesburg next year also a thread on there, it was the first time for this Ironman and so far has had good feed, so go enter and join us or them as I haven't done an Ironman.

• Thanks Tired Legs, will get my name down for kit order, and check out regnesburg now, are you thinking of doing this one too?

Hi Kittenkat, well I have written one up over weekend, I dont know i it is any good though image but goes somethng like this...

Mon AM Short hard swim, PM 45mins strength training

Tues AM 60 min fast run, PM Spin Class following by coached swim session at local pool

Wed AM short hard swim or rest  PM rest

Thurs AM 60 min fast run  PM  45 mins strength training

Fri AM rest  PM Long steady swim (followed by 1 hour spin on bike every other week)

Sat Long Run

Sun Long Bike ride (followed by 30-60 min run every other week)

Any good? image

• image Sounds like a good start. Where are you based the local chapter might be able to keep you company and keep you sane or insane depending on your point of view?

Hows goods your swimming and stuff?

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    Flippin heck, that  far more than i do.
  • pain is temporary wrote (see)

Thanks Tired Legs, will get my name down for kit order, and check out regnesburg now, are you thinking of doing this one too?

Err no - I'll be there as my OH is doing it, but I'll be screaming at you.  Welcome aboard image
  • East Sussex, yay I'd love to find someone else as mad as me nearby!! image 

I'm not fast, but i'm determined, I know I have a lot of work ahead.  My times for last olympic dist was 1500m swim 37 mins, 40k ride 1hr 25 mins and run 1hr 2 (shocking!! image) but I haven't been doing any specific training to date.  I think i'm far too slow at mo to keep up with any of you!!

• ..-. --- --. --. -.-- wrote (see)
    Flippin heck, that  far more than i do.

Haha I havent started it yet!

Tired Legs- Thanks! I will need shouting at image

• image Pain only done one olly myself and your already faster than me. image Basically don't panic about the IM it will be alright. image

There are a few nutter's down your way. Sure they will come round at some point and introduce themselves. 

• Oops sorry cake image  I think IM will be all about enjoying the day and soaking in the atmosphere, is that possible image ok ok  its about just getting round in one piece and living to tell the tale image

Glad to here there are some nutters round here, hopefully will meet them at some point.  Would love to help out on some of the UK races as well if you need any volunteers

• i'd make monday the rest day.  you need to recover from the long sessions.  if the "strength training" is bcause you like it, then that's ok.  if it's there because you think it will make you quicker at triathlons, you'd be much better off dropping it in favour of more cycling (or whatever).  they are a much better use of your limited training time if you're slow.
  • Fab Candy Ollier, I'll rest on monday and do some cycling on wednesday instead, thanks!

My first day of training is already a rest day, I could get used to this image

• that's what we all say!  Mondays are usually rest days because of the hard work done over the weekend. Oh, and welcome to the crazy gang PIT.
  • Hi PIT,
    I'm in pretty much the same place you are - looking at my first IM event in 2011 (my Oly times are almost exactly the same as yours as well). Like you I'm going to be concentrating on getting round and enjoying the experience. Having said that, I've just got back from a 55km bike ride (which I tried very hard to convince myself was "almost half" the IM bike distance...)with very tired legs and no desire at all to do a second lap (much less a third) so I've obviously got a bit of work to do if there's going to be any "enjoyment" involved. Or, to take a more positive view, I have many opportunities for improvement over the next 12 months...
  • Chuck there is bags of fun to be had. I sometimes help out up north but if you want to do stuff bet there is stuff near you. Don't be sorry just mentioned it so you didn't get scared by the priates and did have a very good sandbagging excuse involving not sleeping for the 48 hours before.image

Mind you you've not met barlist yet. Be scared by some off the priates! image

• You should both get your arses over to this thread Ironman Regensburg Whether you choose to do IMR or not, there's quite a few of us on the thread doing our first IMs next year. 

• Hi Tri Hamster, great to hear someone else is at the same stage as me.  haha i'm very good at convincing myself that distances are 'almost' what i want them to be, but on the day I always seem to manage so i'm sure we'll be fine image and 12 months is a long time for improvement.  Which IM are you looking at next year?

Cake- loving the 48 hour non sleep, liking the sounds of the pirates way of going about things image OOoh I look forward to meeting barlist image I'm intruiged!!

Thanks Little Ninja, I have had a look on there and am definately tempted, would be great to do with so many pirates involved.  Only problem is my work are funny about taking time off at beginning of month due to deadlines etc, how many days is everyone planning to go out there for? Would it be feasable to go on a friday and back on monday? 

• Hi there, welcome.

Joining the pirates is just a matter of buying the kit and joining in, the next kit order will be made in September.

Kit thread here

The most popular Ironman events next year look like being Regensburg (A branded Ironman), already about 45 pirates signed up.  Regensbury thread link

The other popular one is likely to be Outlaw, which hasnt opened for entries yet. Oulaw thread link

Both these events will be very good, there wont be a lot to choose between them, though I think if I was asked to suggest one id go for Regensburg.  Racing abroad and the whole hotel atmosphere etc with a big group of Pirates is a brilliant experience, Regensburg is also a Mdot race which is an added appeal for some, expecially for a first IM.   Outlaw is a very well run UK event and should be considerably cheaper so if cost is an issue thats something to bear in mind.

Training

Good 20 week beginner Ironman Programme

• Hi PIT,
    Finally decided to do the Outlaw. I was umming and aaahing between that and IMUK but came down on the side of the Outlaw as it seemd to have a very good "vibe" on the race reports. I'm really going to have to do a UK event for next year due to various logistical issues but would love to do one of the big European events at some stage. Am currently arming myself with a copy of the Don Fink training book (supplemented by "Triathlon Ruined My Life" for balance)and can see my Wiggle account suffering some serious damage in the next few months: mmm... shiny!
  • I wouldnt advise anyone to do IMUK, the race itself is getting better but in my opinion isnt as well organised as European/other branded IM races.  I dont think its worth the £300-£350 or whatever it is they charge, not when compared to how slick other IM races are or £175 for Outlaw.

The organisers dont treat competitors well in my opinion, they have sued former competitors and banned people for airing certain views about the race/organisation.
  • Thanks so much for the advice Barlist! Cake he is lovely, are you stirring image  I have put an order in for a girls top and am now deciding on which race to do. 

I think I am also swaying towards The Outlaw, I have lots of family in Lincolnshire so close by, and it being close and cheaper also helps.  I'm glad to hear there will be lots of pirates there too, and I'm sure many will be staying in hotels there too so a chance to meet everyone.  You never know, we might even get a bit of sunshine, with a bit (a lot) of imagination we can pretend we're abroad image

Wiggle account already taken a hammering image  Bank balance looking very battered and bruised image I'm a prime example of 'all the gear, no idea' haha

• GertieGertie ✭✭✭

You'll also need to think about some warm up events as well.

The Swashbuckler HIM in Beaulieu  usually at the spring bank holiday weekend.  This gets a reasonable Pirate turnout.

Bala is always popular but as it'll probably clash with the double/trifle/deca  weekend there may not be many pirates attending next year. 

• Hi Gertie, yes good thinking, some warm up events I think are needed, as I'm going to have no idea how I will fair on the day!  All ideas/race suggestions welcome.

I looked at Bala, looks fantastic, but if it clashes with the double/triple/deca I may go and volunteer there instead to show my support and help out

• I'm putting in an order for a "monaco" - that's like a tri top, right? Not some sort of mankini?
  • if you want a 1/2 IM to do go and have a look at the Eastnor thread, pirate team entry is £15 off.
  • Hahaha Tri Hamster too funny, there could be some real chaffing issues there.

Iron Rose- thank you, looks good.  Only problem is if I decide to do Outlaw it looks like it will only be 3 weeks before.  Is this too close?

• PIT .. what size are you?
  • Three weeks out is just about bang on...it makes a good last long training session and a chance to practise your IM race-day strategy. Just make sure you don't blast it...
  • We had a pirate mentor thread running last year.

I found that really useful as a newby last year - it's much easier to get 1:1 help / advice from your mentor to help keep you on the strait and narrow and stop you making all the usual mistakes...

Hopefully we can kick that off again???
  • I think it depends. I think for a lot of beginners it might be a bit much - because of the run mainly. What's your training background, age, sex, previous record in following programs, injury proneness? Difficult to answer, but very ball-park, how long do you expect it to take you?