Pirate Mentors / Mentorees 2011

Comments

• more advice on this thread than I have seen in 3 years.

Glad I am not new this year lol !!

• I am happy to mentor anyone, you can get references from Hope! (hopefully she'll be kind).

• One thing I like about this thread is some newbies will be saying Monique who???

Not enough dots in the name so what on earth can they know about IM......    image
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if I need a mentor or a coach.  I've done a few oly tris & looking to get up to middle-distance but definitely not IM.

Mostly I'm looking for tips in how to get faster (I've got plenty of experience on how to get slower) which, I'm guessing, is a mixture of fitness and technique. 

I'm London-based and more than happy to buy cakes when needed.

• gavo - you know where I am if you fancy some abuse!
  • Hello!

I'd love a mentor. I've done a few marathons and mostly oly distance tris. I completed the Outlaw this year in 12:34 which was okay, but the nature of my job makes it really hard to join a Tri Club. So, training was lonely and consisted of me and "The Don" (in book form) only. I'm not looking for training plans as such, rather just someone to bounce ideas off, as I seriously think I over-trained this year and subsequently got injured.

Can anyone help! and pass on their experience and wisdom? image

Thanks in advance

• Monique wrote (see)

I am happy to mentor anyone, you can get references from Hope! (hopefully she'll be kind).

Monique has been a fantastic mentor... and she won't make you sign up to do a trifle or anything! image
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Ironmanby40 - the general consensus from the thread, and from us existing IM possible mentors is that you should read some of the threads and find someone who you think would suit your needs and ask them, not wait for someone to ask you
  • Iron Rose wrote (see)

more advice on this thread than I have seen in 3 years.

Glad I am not new this year lol !!

Haha, true!

Confused...  they will be image

• What happened to swim a bit, run a bit, and bike a lot? 
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    it's the youth of today, can't do anything without having their hands held image
  • still the pirate mantra,  10ft.
  • i think a very simple approach works for a lot of people. in most cases people have a quite a lot of room for error so so long as they train fairly regularly without overtraining it doesn't matter much what they do. for some others, who are likely to be very close to the cut-offs, there is less room for error. in my experience, it seems to be these folks that are most likely to overtrain by doing large volumes of slow training from a long way out. they're often the most likely to override what their body is telling them because they not very confident in their ability.

see, i spared the cortisol / growth hormone details!

• looking back I think the best thing that happened to me during IM training was that i could'nt cycle or run for 4 months sept through to mid Jan due to an achillis problem............stopped me overtraining and stopped me getting bored of it all............as it was I kinda got bored by the end of May and just coasted the last 6 weeks..............a long taper......

everyone is going to be different.but most can get there................i did work hard feb through to Juneimage

• glad this thread has been started for next year.
    i've signed up for my 1st ironman in frankfurt next july and think i could benefit from the help of a mentor. my swimming is improving, just signed up with chesterfield swimming club and although the sessions are classed as group swims the last couple have been one to one which has been great. my biking is poor and i've not done alot of running since this years london marathon. going to spend a bit of time reading through past threads before approaching people.
  • Meli - I don't usually disagree with you (double negative)....

Meli I usually agree with you (insert pause) but - those chasing the cut-off are probably the least likely to over-train and most likely to benefit from any consistent training. If you replace over-training with lose focus and enthusiasm (and more likely realise what is actually required to complete an ironman even if only looking to complete) then I'd agree totally.

Those at the more pointy end of things are most likely to benefit from focus and structure. Those that are likely to over-train as those who expect and demand a high level of athletic achievement and are naturally competitive. Those are the people that will attempt to better their performance with each session. To ignore rest and feedback and to chase a downwards spiral of further overload against a backdrop of reducing performance.

It takes a dedicated and stubborn SOAB to be able to dig themselves into an over-training hole and you'll not find that with a 14 hr per week IM training plan. These people tend to be the same people that like data and gadgets and follow plans rigidly. I wish I was more like them!!!!

Edit - changed structured to consistent for group 1 (as this is what I meant)

• For sure some of the 'close to cut-off' people just haven't done enough. I have seen quite a few people - especially slower women who fear missing the cut offs do way too much early on. BTW - fear of being close to cut-off isn't necessarily the same as actually being close to the cut-off! I think they do lose focus and enthusiasm - and often complain of being tired.

One of the challenging things is working out which type of person you are. A lot of the unconfident-slow overtrainers consider themselves just not to working hard enough.

I think *everyone* would benefit from structure and focus. But I know for some people, following any kind of plan takes the fun out of it. If they are getting what they want out of the training and racing anyway then it's all good.

I'm more like the person you describe in your second paragraph and that's why I got a coach originally. I learnt a lot about having enough recovery and listening to my body as a result and it got such good results (not especially race times, more in they way I felt and how much more fun it was) that I became more confident about taking rest.

• I imagine the fact that you are more likely to warn about "those chasing the cut-off are probably the least likely to over-train and most likely to benefit from any consistent training" and I'm more likely to warn about "unconfident-slow overtrainers" says more about us than anything!
  • This is a very helpful thread. Outlaw will be my first tri and my thinking so far is, 2 swims, 3 rides and 3 runs. 1 long of each and 1 day off a week.
  • how's your swimming now? if you are already a competent front crawler that's fine. if you're only learning then 3 or 4 swims, 3 rides and 2 runs would be better until you can hold your stroke together well enough.

the swim *is* a short part of the IM but it's at the start and if you don't get through that, it's game over! You don't have to be a great swimmer but I think the training for, and build-up to the race is also a lot more fun if you feel fairly confident that you can do the swim well within the cut-off. Going in to the race worrying about swim ability isn't much fun.

• mellifera wrote (see)

For sure some of the 'close to cut-off' people just haven't done enough. I have seen quite a few people - especially slower women who fear missing the cut offs do way too much early on. BTW - fear of being close to cut-off isn't necessarily the same as actually being close to the cut-off! I think they do lose focus and enthusiasm - and often complain of being tired.

I spent my whole training fearing the "Cut off", luckily for me my second fear was "over training". I think Melli is right about the confidence thing, loads of people told me I would be alright but I didn't really believe them and I always felt like I should be doing more. That's where a mentor really helps .

• Silverback,
    There are a few Pirates around the Chesterfield / Sheffield area, myself included. image
    Next year I'm doing the Bike leg at Outlaw and will need to get some serious miles in, none of this blagging it as I've done previously. image
    If you want somebody to go cycling with let me know & I'm sure we could sort something out!

• In between melli's & shorty's view, I think that some people do neither.  Hours and hours and hours of eg bike training, but at strolling pace, so never out of their comfort zone.  So they neither overtrain, or actually get any better, or make cut off.  I think that shorter, harder sessions are essential for the very slow people, if just to get them out of the idiot mentality of going for a "pootle" or a "swimble" or a "bimble" or any other pointless waste of time.  You do actually need to break yourself down a little, so there's something to recover from on rest days!
  • image There are tons of us most on here. South yorks party thred Altrough one of them can't spellimage

Little sister shout out when your starting training and I'll come over and talk carp to you going round if you want.

• Thanks mellifera, my swimming I think is reasonable but I have only swam once in quite a long time-1800mtrs in 45mins, 2 weeks ago, very easy, hardly used my legs. Intend to do 1 swim a week 45-60mins until new year and then ramp it up.
    Biking is my concern.
  • 10 ft tall man wrote (see)

those chasing the cut-off are probably the least likely to over-train

I do see Melli's point and I think it was overtrain early. Sure a beginner might not be doing 20+ hours a week but for them they may be able to overtrain with much fewer hours training. Especially if running a lot.

For the bike they may think 60-80 wet lonely cold v.slow miles is required every Saturday followed by a slow run every Sunday. Whereas they may be better off building speed/stamina over the winter for 30-40 miles. The summer would allow endurance to be built on this speed base.

The v.slow miles leaves them in fear of the cut-off so they do more, and more. They don't get quicker and so it continues into overtraining zone. If they did 30-40 quick miles then they may realise they can easily beat the cut-off if they can build endurance at their current pace.

But then the symptoms of overtraing are what exactly:

• Lost Motivation
    • Lack of Energy
    • Injuries
    • Diminishing Performance

Most of which could be described as a sympton of a lazy arse not doing enough training - except the injuries.

meface

• I agree completely with FB about MTB training in winter.  Its a fantastic way to get out, doesn't matter what weather it is, and also involves a lot more concentration and control, esp in wet/bad weather, flying down a hill.... and its great fun too!!!  I only just bought clip pedals/shoes for my road bike and have used them twice, first was training ride to get the hang of them, second was at the Oly Tri, and had no problems.  I don't think it would take the whole winter to get used to them.  MTB'ing is surely a great way to get strong and conquer those hills, which can only be good when you get back out on the roads.Holly has a point about this thread for the newby's, it seems a lot of people want to have a coach (for free!).  I am a newby, now with mentor image, but have read lots of magazines/books/anything I can get my hands on to draw up my own training plan, and I think a mentor should be there to just answer questions along the way, and give tips to help your race day go as well as possible image
  • Madlot how much open water experiance do you have and how easy is it for you to get some?

Biking will come with miles and training mate. A turbo trainer might be a good investment over winter.

• None apart from when I'm on holidays image but I'd like to do some before winter, just to see what it's about. I'm going to Devon Saturday, so I'll have a bash.
    Need to get a suit sorted though.
  • Candy  -that's just what I mean. Possibly 'overtraining' in the true sense is an exaggeration but hours and hours bimbling, especially if nutrition is poor during and after can increase cortisol.

meface -agreed.

Maldot - great stuff. At that speed you are already well inside the cut-off.