Sunny sneezy Sunday

Morning all. Good luck to all walkers and runners today.

Comments

• WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

Good luck too all racing today!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SaxplayerSaxplayer ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

Head up, Hippo, you'll be great. Drink plenty.

Best wishes to all the runners, racers and walkers today.

No running for me - I'm refereeing skate hockey matches all day...

...indoors! <BOO>
  • Morning all!

BENZ!!!! Stay off the beer!!!

And good luck to you :)
  • SmitchSmitch ✭✭✭
    Morning Fruity
  • 'ello Smitch - I thought you'd gone to your parents, or are you there now?

I'm going to run today but it looks like "scorchio!" out there :)

How are you today my mad mate?
  • Morning peeps. Just popping in to wish all racers good luck! Run/walk strong!
  • Morning Meerkat :)

I *will* run today!!!
  • A late good morning but only because I have been out running. Can't cope with running other than early morning. Too hot for me. Today was very hot so all you peeps running take it easy and drink loads.

Good luck to all.

Morning MK and FR
  • Morning all!!
    Good luck to all those running in the heat today - I've done my run today and it was toooo hot at 9am!
  • Have fun, racers.

I woke up with a sore throat and a bit of a sniffle and am still not sure whether that and the odd aches I've had for a few days are the result of a viral illness (it's almost exactly two years since my last dose of the cold) or the effect of scrubbing ceilings and ripping up carpets and tearing off 100-year-old skirting-boards. Whatever, I'm not particularly unwell. I did run this morning, but only to the newsagent's (about 400m from home) with my son. Not wise, with a mildly crocked ankle and wearing floppy old sandals.

I'm trying to do some writing between putting coats of varnish ("light oak") on the beam that runs across Ivor's bedroom. To my surprise, when I removed the woodchip paper it scrubbed up beautifully. Now I have to decide whether to grit my teeth and chip all the Artex off Kevin's ceiling to expose the beam there, or just cover the entire ceiling in smooth plaster. No hurry, though. It will wait until Kevin has moved into her new room - about a year at this rate.

Poor Kevin shot herself in the foot about half an hour ago. Tinkerbell "found" a silly toy croquet set we've had for many years, and asked permission to play with it. I said yes, but Kevin intercepted her on the way out and said it was hers and the little ones couldn't have it. So I said that in that case the one Internet connection lead in the house was MINE and she could hand it over right now and take the croquet set to her bedroom and I hoped she would get great satisfaction from looking at it in its box and knowing that she was preventing her siblings and the kids next door from playing with it. Meanwhile, they've mocked up a croquet set with an old tennis ball, some bricks and the Swingball bats.
  • I should have got up earlier - too hot by the time I was out and about, I think I'm going to go out about 9:30 tonight!
  • Come up to Brum, FR. It's not too hot here. It's just perfect.
  • Sounds good Vrap - every time I've visited Brum (for the Sandwell volleyball tournament) it's poured down. In mitigation on one weekend we had bright sunshine afterwards!

Any news from Benz yet?

I am going to lose weight this week by hook or by crook!
  • It had better not rain. I've got three lines of washing hanging out. One of the best things about summer is not having wet clothes dangling over all the radiators.
  • True - I have an even worse problem in my flat! I have several indoor hanging thingees that work a treat in summer, but in the time inbetween when I turn off the central heating and it getting sunny, I have wet clothes hanging around :(

Have you been running today Vrap?
  • I only ran to the newsagents with my son, FR, and that's only because running was faster than walking and the boy was in a hurry to see whether the nice new owner of the shop had a copy of the Simpsons comic. I haven't run properly in shorts and trainers for what feels like centuries. But I will. Sometime. When I start demolishing parts of the house, it's a sign that my brain will be ready to start training again soon.
  • Know what you mean Vrap - I've only done about two decent runs since FLM.

Somehow my brain just ain't in the mood!

i think that sub 3:15 autumn marathon to qualify on GFA for FLM 2004 is out of the window, and in any case I may need to do sub 3:00 now which is out of the question.
  • Sub-3:00? That's inhumane.

I could only get a GFA place if I was in my sixties. Maybe if I lied about my age and put on a grey wig...

Having a break from running suits me because I get other things done (like tearing up the house). It's just so tedious getting over the detraining effect.
  • They are doing 3:15 for 41-59. At the moment I'm too young (nice for once!!) but by FLM2004 I will be 41, so I'm not sure which GFA applies. I think even if it is 3:15 for me, I'd struggle to get 3:15 since I haven't kept my training up. I may well just do DUblin which is after the deadline but enjoy the atmosphere of the big event, rather than some piddly little one with a couple of donkeys watching like Kingston.

Any more marathon plans for you or is it just see how you feel?
  • Yeah, go on - do Dublin for the fun of it and you might surprise yourself.

I'm not doing any more marathons this year. The training is too disruptive, and although I'm convinced of the health benefits of running within the normal boundaries of human endurance, 26 miles is just a fraction beyond those boundaries.

I did hope to get my half-marathon time down to 1:45 by the end of the year. I still think it's possible (current PB just over 2hrs). We shall see!

Or maybe I'll just toddle round the GNR and Windsor for fun and concentrate on paint and fancy stone floors and spend my Sundays looking at ten thousand variations on the theme of the White Ceramic Bathtub. Bring on the Crimplene slacks and little short-sleeved pastel-pink knitted tops with matching cardis.
  • I know what you mean - it does disrupt life too much! I have a lot of other things to be getting on with, half marathon training is a lot less hassle. Maybe I'll give maras a break and hope to get in via the ballot. We'll see!

I might even go to Dublin just to watch :)
  • I just know that by August I'll be the first to send off my ballot entry for FLM - last time round, I trained for 12 weeks, enjoyed all my runs and the race itself was a day to remember, so the disruption will be worthwhile.

I'm having a good session now - apart from chatting to you, I'm writing an article about something on which I know zippo, and it's just pouring on to the screen. I'm sure I have a couple of half-finished problem page responses hanging around on my hard disk too, so I might knock them off while the going's good. Or I might take my son to B&Q. He wants a chandelier in his bedroom, and a door with a stained-glass skylight. That's fine at 9, but in six years' time he might regret it. Maybe I shall be able to prod him in the direction of something more manly...
  • Ay-up all

Its a warm 'n

Got out and did a steady 65mins on my roadbike before lunch :o)
  • ayup WW, going for a long ride shortly
  • Im slowly building up mate, averaged 16mph and finished thinking i could do another lap

But as i say im slowly building up cos i just filled in the entry forms for 2 Tri's later in the summer

:o)
  • Well done, WW. Do you feel any better for all that cycling?

Have fun, RR. Don't fall off.
  • so about 18miles then?

well, wot u up 2 rest of day?