IMUK 2011

Comments

• CD....you'll have them concerns all the way to july 31st mate and nothing you can do will get rid of them...and you wont be alone.
    but dont worry too much...i was convinced i would miss the cut off and did the swim comfortably....NOBODY missed the swim cut off this year (though 3 were pulled out of the water so i suppose that counts)
  • Swim is ALL about technique I cant stress enough its worth getting a good coach to have a look at you and the improvement will be immediate.

Blimey Andy your 10k run speed is a bit special isnt it. I'd get on the bike before NY if I was you as your running doesnt need any work. Coming off the bike with your running legs still on is the trick.

• CD

ran out of time to get to Seaton tonightimage still I know who you are now!image I have PMed you

Guys and girls I said this on last years training thread do not be starting any serious training yet you will burn out  just work on any real limiters (like if you cant swim) or havent been on a bike since you were a kidimage short stuff working on these limiters is fine. The absolute maximum specific Ironman training period you need is 30 weeks most of us that did this last year all struggled with the last 3-4 weeks of peak 

the best thing you can do now is do some light reading Be Ironfit by Don Fink and Going Long by Joe Friel are good starters it will give you a good idea of the training time involved that you will have to put in Ironfit is very good for time management tips  

• One thing, being comfortable for 152 lengths in the pool is one thing but I foudn as soon as I hit OW, my technique went to pot. It's taken probablya three or four swims in the sea, one 1900M sea race swim and one 850M sea race swim to actually get some of that technique comfortably into the OW scenario.

Mainly fuelled by the fact that the tide was pulling me out to sea faster than I was swimming last time. Which scared the Billy Shit out of me and it was get the stroke sorted or hail the panic boat (or go to France). Slowly but surely, I bagan to move forwards again. Funny, I kept thinking of the scene in Monty Python & The Holy Grail where they kept riding towards you but got no closer!

Just a tip FWIW. 

• oops....sorry guys got confused...i cant run 10 k in 30 odd minutes...lol...i do 5 k in that...its cause i did a tri that wasn't normal length..the run part was only 5k.
    Ha...takes me an hour and 4 minutes for 10k!!!!!
  • shoulda kept schtumm andy.. no one would have been any the wiser image
  • ah but some people know me....so best i own up myself i reckon. lol
    34 minutes 10k....hahahahaa....if you knew me you'd realise just how funny that is
  • lol, I think the 1.34 half gave that away but it was impressive to start with.

Good to see this has not died and that people are still supporting the IM in the UK. The Outlaw looked a great race but as Europe shows, there is enough people to go round a number of long distance races in the UK. I for one will be disappointed if it moves south with Henley and Nottingham already accounted for.

Regards training, get into some consistant patterns now and you will reap the reward, for those that can afford one, get a coach, for those that can't speak to others on here for advice, and to keep the momentum and interest keep on the thread and keep the chat going, I guarantee there are a number of lurkers in this thread that haven't outed themselves as they are either too shy or they are being scared off by talk of big numbers in training.

Its not the time to overtrain or get injured by starting out too quick too fast. Enjoy the time left in the sun and then start to think about how you are going to keep that momentum over the winter, I will come up with some ideas shortly but nice to see you back Andy and prepared to give it another go.

• cheers Rosie, Having just bought a brand new fireblade a coach might be a long stretch for me. i'm interested in putting together a plan that not only involves the 3 disciplines here but also something like plyometrics that i'm told will increase my climbing and cycling abilities...the run is never going to be a fast one for me but if i can lop an hour off the bike time and make it what i hoped for i think that would have been enough to get me to the finish.
    nice to see you back mate...will you be joining in this year after your year off??
  • Andy theres your first mistake! I am sure a "fireblade" is made by Honda and has no pedalsimage
  • it is Rmax....and i'll tell you something else...if they had let me do it on that this year i'd have had plenty of time to finish the run!!!
  • Had to sell my motorbike to fund my pushbikes and wetsuit purchasesimage a couple of years ago after 30 years  of biking, starting to miss it again am going to get back into it soon once the kids are all set up in uni
  • gutted Rmax, get back on mate...i've just bought a 2010 HRC fireblade.....fookin amazing!!!
    pick it up tomoz
  • Swimsmooth loks like a fantastic site. Will have a good look at it.

I would love to do IM 2011 as its right on my doorstep too. However given my experience of my first tri on Sunday I'm a long way from that level yet! Am thinking I'll train for Olympic distance next year and see how i go after that.......image

• AndyB99 wrote (see)
     nice to see you back mate...will you be joining in this year after your year off??
    my aim is to do IM again next year, I really want to qualify again but will have to pick the right race as its getting harder, that and do some real training, consistant and specific for me over winter will hopefully get me out of the blocks next year.
  • I'll definitely be doing IMUK 2011 main reason I'm local. Had a great experience and result this year and no complaints about any of it, having said that it was my first so have nothing to compare with.

I wouldn't mind doing 2 next year perhaps one abroad. 

Andy great to see you are up for next year.  Gutted for you having to get a new blade image  image Actually started the old Fazer up last week just need to get it back on the road now.

• I've pre-registered for this. It'll be my first IM length tri after training for and dropping out of IMDE a few years back (the body was willing but the mind wasn't).

• hey woody, glad you found the thread...listen mate i'm up for many many training rides in the build up to this...brick sessions too...you can give me running tips. you had a brill result this year and i'm planning to emulate what you did and finally finish the bloody thing.
    stay in touch pal.....do you have FB???

cheers on the blade comments, if you wanna ride out on that fazer and blow out the cobwebs just shout dude.
  • Now heres a thought, not really but it sort of shot into my head so....

motorbike the bike course, best time you can, no titanium knee sliders. Though I think you young Blade boys will see of my lardy Blackbird these days. LOL.

• i already have, i did the full 33 miles of it in 40 mins...on the pushy too me ages.
    not exactly a 'young' blade boy tho........41 at crimbo
  • Do we have confirmation of the date for IMUK in 2011?

I'm going to go for this myself next year as it's not too far from home. I live in the Scottish Borders
  • there's nothing on the IMUK site, but in the international Ironman site it lists it on the 31st July

http://ironman.com/events/ironman/uk#axzz0ydsGp3nT

• Mr Zuvai wrote (see)
    there's nothing on the IMUK site, but in the international Ironman site it lists it on the 31st July http://ironman.com/events/ironman/uk#axzz0ydsGp3nT
    Thanks
  • Just watched the channel 4 coverage of this years event.... Wow! I'm inspired!

Can wait for next year - here's to all on here having a great day and ending with us all being Ironmen!
  • That coverage was great! I'm thinking 2012 at Outlaw or Challenge Henley but that has made me want to do the IMUK. I'm a sucker for TV coverage!
  • Not that i want to push you toward Outlaw but there was decent - if not better coverage of that last weekend on Sky Sports!
  • i did spare a thought for you when i watched that - must have been gutting -admire your tenacity to be back again for it next year! im sure you'll ace it!
  • AndyB99 wrote (see)
    hey woody, glad you found the thread...listen mate i'm up for many many training rides in the build up to this...brick sessions too...you can give me running tips. you had a brill result this year and i'm planning to emulate what you did and finally finish the bloody thing. stay in touch pal.....do you have FB??? cheers on the blade comments, if you wanna ride out on that fazer and blow out the cobwebs just shout dude.

Yes to all the above you have my number and I'll be in touch when it's back on the road.

Love the idea of lap times  imageimage the best bit has to be from Rivington to the M65 roundabout, it was even better when it was deristrected. Now heavily policed.

My Facebook profile

Not had chance to watch the coverage yet granddaughters recorded it so will watch some time this week.

I bet it did hurt Andy, but you'll be an Ironman next year no doubt about it.  You all most made this year so  you now know what is required to finish the job off .

• i managed to watch it again today...it funny i was just out of camera shot on SH lane when a guy just in front of me was asking if they were channel4....gutted. i am very determined to make it to the end next year.