IMUK 2011

1252627282931»

Comments

• In a complete u turn I have decided to do the outlaw next year. Sub 12 is the aim. I just dont want to waste this endurance fitness I have built and nothing but 140.6 will do.
    The family are cool with it and understand what a massive thing it is to me. It is only a few years ago I was spending lots of time and money down the Pub. This is a far more productive lifestyle.
    So the plan is to do maintenance training for the rest of the year and start to build it up again in the new year.
    What a life image

• IronM.in(vincible) wrote (see)

And whilst I'm here, much has been made of the cost of next years' event - if you look around, £375 is about standard for an IM event. Also, much has been made of the top ten being dehydrated. Of course they were - covering 140miles in 9 hours or less will do that to you, as any IM distance athlete will tell you.... It is NO reflection on the organisation on the course.

I don't think that I said it was anything to do with the organisation in my post .....whatever caused it (humidity, race pace etc etc etc) is an unknown but it was certainly remarked upon by the doctors in the hospital I ended up in as being unusual for the 3 years they had worked on  IM UK to have most of the top 10 men through the door.

Personally I thought course organisation and the aid stations were excellent and the only thing that went wrong was the Buckshaw village station running out of sterilising tablets.

From a personal point of view I wouldn't swim in the Flash again either - there were 3 points where it smelled strongly of petrol (particularly at the far end near the marina) - I think boats had dumped their bilges up the far end.  That said this didnt affect my swim in any way - but it wasnt a good situation to be potentially ingesting such stuff.  Not suggesting that this made me chuck up later - that again is an unknown image

• AB we didn't run out of sterilising tablets, we were never left any!! I left at 12 o clock after puttung in 5 hours and wondered how they had coped without tablets. What did they do in the end? I wanted to just wash them in clean water but was told no to do that. Personally I wouldn't have minded drinking out of a bottle that had been cleaned in water as it is more important to stay hydrated than worry about sterilised bottles. So I'm sorry on behalf of the crew at Buckshaw but we did our best in the situation.
  • Hi Kat

We were told to hold our bottles as we arrived and they refiiled from jugs. But at that point I had already binned one of mine....

The worry was that they were fishing bottles out of the skip and I think if you had tossed yours in their you would have been getting somebody elses when they eventually ran out of new bottles

Running out of tablets is one thing but not having any in the first place is bloody ridiculous! 

No apologies needed the crews were fantastic!!!

• On channel 4 right now and then Wed at 3.25am
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Just saw Slummo and Bendy Jan cheering their little socks off! image
  • And AndyB at the finish, but WTF was that little shimmy. Good work Andrew Butler
  • Finally caught some coverage of Bolton on Eurosport 2 last night.  The last two minutes should have been renamed The Andy B Show!

Rw

• How's everyone doing who did last years Ironman uk? Anyone mad enough to do it again this year?
  • I'm OK matey. I'm just looking at the credit card bill  it seemed a good idea entering last month on my card, but now wondering how I'm going to pay it before the end of this month.

smilies/sad_smiley.gif

How about you?

• Hi Woody, Ha ha yes it can get very expensive! No more Ironman for me, it was something I needed to do and I did it.I still spend a lot of time in the gym and have turned my hand to Bodybuilding. Still lots of commitment and discipline but nowhere near as much as Ironman training.
    I kind of miss it in a way but also relieved that I'm not doing that kind of training anymore if you know what I mean?

Good luck for this years Ironman, I'll probably be in the crowd this year feeling envious of all those taking part in such an amazing event.
  • grrrr.... the SpamBot is very annoying!