IMUK 2011

Comments

• So I have started telling people that I am doing IM 2011... so it looks like it is on!!!

I am currently relocating to Central London and am worried though that It's really going to stop me cycling, as I don't really know where to start!! I can't do all training on a turbo can I?
  • i think you can do a lot...i skipped the turbo last year and look how that ended up....i'll try harder this year.
    i wouldnt like to cycle in central london though...though when i work down there theres a few guys that i work with that do!!!
  • Shaun, I have also told so many people I am planning on doing an irronman next year, I feel I have entered already(although I still think I will plump for Outlaw).

I plan on doing a  fair bit of turbo training, especially on winter mornings before work, but I don't think you can substitute road work..

Being a newbie to this is all a bit scary! 

Andy, after reading your blog, which as I said previously was inspiring and worrying at the same time I don't think you can say you didn't try hard enough. I don't know if I could keep going like you did, but that is the challenge isn't it.

• Cheers Cornish. very nice of you to say that!!

so lets get it going.....who's having a coach?? who's doing Don Fink etc??
    when are you kicking off??

for me, i plan to have a total month off after Tatton park OD next weekend and then Berlin Marathon week after. beginning of November i'm going to start running again and trying very very hard to improve that. during that time i'll put my plan together for the full 7 months starting January 3rd.. based on Don fink and (now) some experience...i definitely plan to include more Core work and some plyometrics. I was going to pay for a coach...but in seriousness i just cant afford it!!

how about you guys??
  • Andy - You may be better off concentrating on the bike rather than trying to improve your run times. There is no point being able to do a standalone 3hr15 marathon IF you cant run when you get off the bike.

Bike fitness and endurance carries over to running, run fitness and endurance does not carry over to the bike.

A coach is NOT as expensive as you think, the other option would be to join tri club or gym with a tri club (David LLoyd i warrington have a club) or even a local cycling club for long weekend rides.

• I'm not so sure that run fitness doesn't carry over to the bike from my experience.

Whilst I agree It might not seem it when you first get on the bike but I must have soon adapted to it I only did 425 miles bike training in total. I did loose a few place on the bike, but managed to finish very strong in the run gaining 238 places. I think the endurance and mental strength I'd gained in the marathons put me in a very strong position. It might not be right for everyone but I think you shouldn't just assume that run fitness doesn't carry over especially if that's what you enjoy most in the three disciplines.

That said I will be doing far more bike training with the hope of knocking a huge amount off my bike time for 2011. If I get the mileage and bike training in and achieve a much better time next year then I would tended to agree that run fitness doesn't carry over . if however I don't improve my time much with proper bike training, that will prove to me at least, that run fitness does actually carry over to the bike.

• From my own experience, I have been running for 7 years (started aged40).In that time no biking until last 6 months.

In my teens I raced bikes at schoolboy and junior level, but I was crap at running.

Now I find that I am OK on the bike except when it comes to hills, where I do not seem to have the strength I seem to remember having.  So I think you need a good mix but as JPenno said, you  need to be able to get off the bike and run.

I also know I can run for 3to 4 hours but do not know I can ride a bike that long.(am i talkiing myself out of this)

ps. Have started my training already. Bought a tri suit. Delivered this morning.

• Just to add to previous post, Don't we have to swim a bit as well.  Another thing I'm not good at.

• With out a doubt I would recommend you get yourself to coached swim lessons of some description, join a swim or tri club it's worth it. Until you do you will just be practicing and perfecting your bad swim habits.
  • JP i only mean over november and december to improve my running....really just taking the opportunity and giving me something to focus on....without doubt the focus once IM training starts will be the bike.
  • Has anyone done Don Fink? Did you see any significant benefits over putting together a schedule yourself? Did you subscribe to the online content? Im sure i read on here somewhere that someone had a copy

• i think a lot of us did the fink plan....i certainly did and i know its a cracking starting point...but you HAVE to stick to it. i missed long rides quite a few times. i cant say personally it worked cause i didnt finish but that was nothing to do with the plan. and i'll be working to it again this year....its a good book too....has some great tips in and is very encouraging.
  • I did my own thing last year backed up with things picked up off the forum and people I met through it, Next year in order to better my time will have a look at it and other schedules. Tbh I always found it hard to keep to them  with other commitments. I will probably read and take on board things and then still do my own thing but try to make sure I get the key elements done.
  • Hmmm, im thinking of doing a hybrid of the two - i have some great resources/ oppurtunties here such as 2 open water sessions in the sea in the evenings and a track session which i'd like to continue, so i'd like to see a don fink plan and see if i can incorporate the existing session within the plan

Where's the best place to get a look at a don fink plan - would they be in his book? Think i will probably buy this anyway as it seams a good read and a good place to start!
  • yeah the book...3 programs, competitive, intermediate and just finish...the good thing about them is they are mostly based around time rather than distance...so you can easily incorporate a 1 hour track session as the one hour run etc so it will probably fit you perfectly.

what i will say is dont miss the long sessions...i know i keep harping on but they are the most important...one long session in a week is better than 5 short sessions so make sure you can make time for them
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Going Long by Friel and Gordo has a useful table of mesocycle hrs/week.  A personal coach is always better though!
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • picked up going long today - seems a good read - with some great advise

XC season starts in two weeks - looking forward to it - lots of mud and should keep my base fitness up over the winter!
  • Going to sign up for Ironman Uk 2011 when it opens too! Just started in the pool and swimming needs to come a long way though! Anyone else have trouble with their breathing (getting really out of breath after a couple of lengths) when they first started? Once I get my technique sorted I think I'll come on quickly but seems like a long road ahead before next august at the moment!
  • We all had problems with our breathing when we first started out, so no worries there, it'll come.

And August is a long way, and it's a long road to get there, but the journey is half the fun of it. You'll learn a lot about yourself both physically and mentally, and about training, nutrition etc. It can be a lonely journey though, long rides and runs alone. I got through it by entering events to give me earlier targets. Did three Sportives of increasing distance, 120k, 160k and then 190k, and entered the Marie Curie swimathon (5km), and just kept the running ticking over. Also entered a Sprint Tri, and two cheap half ironman events, just to test nutrition, pacing, kit, race day routine and breakfast, and racing is always harder than training.

Personally, I should have probably done a bit more running, but life got in the way.

But as Andy says, if in doubt, bike. Time in the saddle will decide on how, or if you finish. With the swim, it's just getting through it and out of the water as fresh as is possible. Then bike. And the fresher you are coming off the bike, the easier the run will be. And the sooner you are off the bike, the more time you have to finish the run, should things go wrong.

Enjoy the journey, take it nice and easy from now until about May 2011, then start upping the pace, but not too soon. For eight months you'll think that you're not going hard enough, long slow distance doesn't fell right, but it'll come together in the end.

Persistence, patience, perseverance. Keep thinking of the 3P's during training.
  • Welcome LTR! - we're slowly gathering quite a group!

I know entries aren't even open yet but we can put together a provisional list:

IMUK2011

Andy B

Laura M

Cornish Digger

Woody

Slowtwitcher

LTR12345

MR Z

any others lurking who might be keen?

You know you want to!!

• I've started my bike training..... mtb over the moors yesterday in it never stopped raining, had to wading through swollen streams, got covered in peat bog but I loved every minute of it beats the road hands down, can't wait for the next session. image

Welcome LTR and second what MT said  image

• well i did my last tri on Sunday of this season (tatton park OD) and the swim was absolute agony thanks to a rotator cuff injury from being a crap swimmer. i've got the marathon in Berlin on Sunday then i'm gonna have a month off...get my shoulder sorted and put my plan together. Its going to be something like this.
    November-December = run improvement...running twice a week..1 distance session 8-12 miles and one 4-5 mile interval session to try and put some speed in there. i'll also do 2 core workouts a week combined with what i assume will be shoulder building exercises to prevent this injury coming back.
    Then in December i plan to put together my training plan based on 'intermediate' Fink plan (unless i can afford a coach)which will start January 2nd...this will be runs and turbo's to start till march when i'll be brave enough to take the bike outside (though shoulder prevailing i might do some trail riding on my hybrid bike for fun). i'll hardly do any swimming till may when OW season starts...then it will be Wednesday nights at 3 sisters coached session and Delph quarry on the weekends.

Anybody in the NW (woody is already my mate image) i'll be looking to hook up for as many bike, run, and OW swims as possible.
  • I think this needs to be on my list (and I need to be on your list) for 2011 too.

IMUK2011
    Andy B
    Laura M
    Cornish Digger
    Woody
    Slowtwitcher
    LTR12345
    MR Z
    sweetfeet

Some people would feel compelled to alphabeticise that but I'm going to resist. It was hard enough taking the line space outimage.

As mentioned earlier on this thread I was going to do London Tri on the same day to bury some demons from this year but on reflection IMUK is far more important to me so I will defer London. I am however doing IM France in 2011 on 26th June so July will be an interesting recovery month.

Good luck with Berlin Andy. I used Fink previously and found it quite logical to follow.

• Hi SF welcome to the list.

I've been toying with looking at IM in Europe haven't done so as yet, Is IM France still open for entry's or did/does it sell out fast?

• yeah, sorry about the spaces - use an old opera brower away from home which does weird things on these forums image
  • IM France 2011 is still open for entry. http://regonline.activeeurope.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=869635 image

It tends to fill up slower than most euro IMs which suggests it is harder. Hilly bike course and potentially hot weather. Should be fun. Hopefully set me up well for IMUK.

• Has anyone else on here been tempted by the news of a new Ironman.............IM wales should be next September if the rumours are correct.......and should be announced this friday...............I so want to be in the first welsh one that I am considering doing two next yearimage
  • I too am waiting for IMCymru to be announced, if the rumours are true. After IM UK in 2010 I did promise myself that I wouldn't do one in 2011 but do one in 2012, but if it's the inaugural IMCymru, and it's just down the road form me, well, it would be rude not too.
  • Cheers SF I'll have a look at it, but if there was IMCymru and it is in September I'd be tempted by that. It now throws a spanner in the works do I :-  a) enter IMFrance   b) wait for IMCymru and loose IMFrance or  c) Do both making three in total? Whats your thoughts / advice? How reliable are the rumours?

• there is going to an announcement at 12 oclock on friday.................and then i think the enteries will open on the 1st of october........I think thats what i read.................it seems to very very strong these rumours.......I hope soimage