IMUK 2011

Comments

• That would be great and if that's the case the dilemma I envisaged wont exist image
  • I was planning on doing Wimbleball again in 2011, but lack of funds have prevented me from entering at the mo', and it seems that it'll be full by the end of the month (payday), so I may sacrifice a place, but to substitute it with IMCymru, although not part of my plans for 2011, would be ideal. There certainly seems to be a lot of chatter about it from numerous sources, and Friday is the start of the Long Course Weekend in Tenby. Roll on 12:00 on Friday.
  • I have to admit - the idea of being at the first IMWales is a very tempting idea...

There's no guarantee that i'll even finish one (although i'm going to do my damnest ) so im not going to even entertain the thought of more than one. I'm fairly set on IMUK - I need to commit to one or t'other soon...

• Please keep this thread informed of any developments with IMC as I don't frequent many forums.
  • ...and there is Challenge Henley (opened for entry yesterday) and Forestman and Outlaw. We're getting spoilt for choice with all these UK based IM distance races!
  • 8iron wrote (see)

matt - yes you can register for the marathon on friday from 12 at Trefloyne.  IM Wales Press  launch at 12 too at the same place!!

Peacey - technically you are right but its the same finish you just take a different route at the end.  This wil be explained at race briefing and its well signposted.  But here is how it is:  FUN OR DONE are the 2 options.  Basically as the marathon runners run around castle hill, which is stunning and takes in the lifeboat, bandstand etc we did not want the half runners to miss out.  So if you are not running for a time and have something left you can set off around castle hill.  If you are DONE so to speak you simply cross the finish line for your 13.1 miles and official time.

Just noticed this post on a different forum.........as you can see the organisers are stating that its the IM Wales press launch on friday.................This weekend they are doing a long course weekend where there is the full swim on one day, the cycle sportif the next and then a marathon on the third...........so people can enter either part or all three as a training thing and confidence booster.............they seem to have got the local council and all the villages behind it and with the response are going forward with the IM launch on fridayimage
  • Hi
    You can add me to the IMUK list, ive got the entry fee ready and i started training about 5 week ago
    If we get Ironman Wales then will IMUK be called Ironman England?
    Either way, I'll be ready to go next July.
  • Same here, got the fee and pre registered just waiting with anticipation for entries to open. Never done any road biking, only mountain biking, only started running Jan this year and hadn't been in the pool for about 10 years. Had a couple of lessons a few weeks ago and can now do a couple of front crawl lengths without stopping image. I do keep asking myself why am I doing this!
  • Supported IMF 2008  (did 50 miles of the bike course a day or so after). Did IMUK 2009 (DNF didn't make bike cutoff)

IMF blows IMUK into the weeds for an event. It's Premier league versus the local pub womens veteran football team.

But IMUK has a lovely bike course, for mortals. Met an elite who said it scared him at 40mph with cars passing.

There are some fabulous restaurants in Nice and lovely shops with clean trams, Gallic ice cream, lovely hilly runs, gorgeous scantily clad models, lingering French breakfasts, tall glasses of French lager (watch out for Kanga)

or a Harvester next to the Reebok Stadium in Bolton.

So why do Ilike the idea of Bolton again? God knows.

• I worked as a Marshal in T1 this year at IMUK. I thought the event was run pretty smooth. There were a few issues along the way, but all in all, I just loved it.

I will say one thing. I volunteered for the event (gave up my Sunday for free) and was spoke to like poo by one of the event staff. I hope he is sacked as 20 or so of us complained. What a loser.

I plan to do this event in 2011, so add me to the list. I am fairly new to tri, having done a sprint and more recently a standard distance in Leeds. I come from mainly a running background. I feel like I am on my way but have lots of training to do. I completed the standard distance in sub 3 hr. swim 34m, bike 1hr 29, run 42 mins. I just need to be consistent and build up the miles/time training.

When my friends ask where IMUK is held, I just say Lancs.....Bolton just doesn't sound right somehow. TBH neither does Lancs (being a Yoks man).

Hope to see everyone at Pennington Flash next July.

• Hi Kingy. Welcome aboard. I hope that member of event staff is not there next year. 20 complaints about the same person dont normally lead to long term employment!

Your OD swim and run times look very respectable.The key to how much you enjoy your day on 30/07/11 will be how much bike work you do between now and then. As you say consistent training and build up are the critical factors. Slowly build up how much biking you do and how far you go and you wont go far wrong. At least we have 10 months to work with...

• Indeed, welcome all,

Updated list:

IMUK 2011 - Participants

Andy B
    Cornish Digger
    Dustboy
    Firey 1
    Kingy
    Laura M
    LTR12345
    MR Z
    Slowtwitcher
    Stella Belly
    sweetfeet
    Woody

Anybody else interested -copy and paste and include your name image

Sweetfeet - all nicely arranged alphabetically and de-spaced

Kingy - people like that always get what's coming - i always get angry when people miss treat volunteers/marshals - if they weren't so generous we wouldn't have a race - i always make a point about thanking everyone i can afterwards
  • Nice list Mr Zimage

And thanks for not highlighting my date error above. imageObviously I meant 31/07/11...

• hi guys I can most definately confirm that Ironman Wales is on the 11th September next year.  Big budget and will be a great event.  2 loop bike course with 2400 m climbing, 1 transition, great expo, 4 loop run course and all based out of Tenby.  So long beaches and clean water!!

Entries open on friday at Ironmanwales.com 

• Friendly bunch you lot. Glad I took the trouble to drop in.

Thanks for the advice. I plan to spend that much time on my bike that I dont know where the bike ends and I start.

The positive thing with the swim is that I have only being swimming freestyle since March so I have big improvements to make. 

Good luck to everyone in this ridiculous endeavour image

• kingy - I did IM UK this year too!! OMG!  I never seen so many rude people at what they call an expo (3 stands - mainly their own)

IMHO - Course not dressed, no atmosphere, run course through woods and busy road; bike course with roadworks on, one set started during the race!! And the swim???  Any swim course that is delayed because the toxic report is yet to come back!!

Guys forget Bolton, every year they get the same feedback and nothing!! we should not support these types of races.  Get onto the new challenge or Wales event or go abroad.  You have been warned....I will not be going back!!

• I really cant believe people are willing to spend money on this race when there are so many well run races around. 

I think I might start my own race, for £350 I promise to put on a 3 stall expo, be rude, fuck up the organisation then take you to court.

Why not try Outlaw, Challenge Henley or even IM Wales instead. 
  • BB i think your being a bit unfair. that report was 2 years ago and was from 1 person who only gave his side of the story... and the only real 'bad press' in 2009 was about the mud at T1/2 so they changed that and didnt have any problems...i'm not being funny mate but if you dont support this race dont do it...but dont come in telling people who have made the decision to enter not to. I did imuk last year as some of you might know and i didnt make it through the run section...i have to say i was treated amazingly by everybody.
    and seriously who cares about the expo?? if you've not got everything you need by the time you register then you can get it there....do you really want to spend hours walking round looking at the same energy bars and water bottles just from different sellers?

I did the berlin marathon last week and the expo for that was 7 hangers of the templehof airport...massive....and i couldnt wait to leave!

Leave IMUK alone....its a great day (as are the others you've mentioned) and a well run event in a great part of lancashire and anybody thinking of trying it should do so...you wont regret it!!
  • I have to agree with Andy.

I spoke to 3 people who completed this years IMUK and they loved it. As I said before I worked at it and loved it. I only saw the swim and both transition areas, but the organisation seemed spot on. We were even given sausage sandwiches which I wasn't expecting - BONUS

I will be registering for this event. I cannot wait. 

• plus when the logistics of getting to Europe for an event don't add up, and for a non-IM and you're desperate to hear those "... You Are An Ironman" words... IMUK is the best bet

plus even if it is not the best race at the time, at least in the future you know you did IM in your home country.

• however hearing that there may/is a Welsh event in September... very tempting
  • I would add that I put a fair bit of kudos to what Barlos says and he is a very experienced and knowlegeable Iron Barlos. I am sure he is only trying to make sure us lot get the best value for our bucks and have the best experience possible. And that is to be applauded.

However, for some (read me), the issue is about the personal challenge and having a go at making it round. Frankly, I couldn't give a shit about the razzamataz or some screaming frontman at the end.

So therefore, I want, lots of clean toilets, an event that is slick, clean, tidy, on time and well stocked.

So, T1 & T2 resembling a swamp, running out of basic fluids at stations, fartarsing about in the water getting cold, missing turnings coz the marshall has gone for a leak (and no-one thought to put two on), marking out the special needs area (never did find it), are all basic addressable mistakes. Mistreating your marshalls and competitors is just plain stupid.

I'll give IMUK the benefit of the doubt coz I do think they are trying but trying is not always enough.

But, as has been said elsewhere, if you don't like it, don't do it.

• It hasn't got a great reputation especially on this forum but its the official IMUK. And now there is an IM Wales too apparently. But I am not Welsh.

Like Shaun says it is an official IM in England with typical English eccentricities and if we want to do it then we can. We cant claim not to have been warned either so if it is a disaster then so be it.

A mate of mine did it this year and didnt moan at all about any organisational issues. He wasnt ovely enamoured with his four punctures but then who would be.

• shaun - ironmanwales.com live this friday!  if we can get the video sorted will post it soon online.
  • will keep me eyes open... that could be a tear between the two.... Tenby is a very nice place!
  • yeah i wasnt attacking BB there, i know he's respected and should be....but the 2nd race in bolton WAS much better than the first one...all i'm saying is they worked hard and got it mostly right....in 1500 people you'll always get one or two that are un happy with something...for that matter you'll always get one or two that are NEVER happy with anything.
    dont forget i was near the back...i was dead last on the run...i was on my own for most of the 3rd lap of the bike ride....and i never saw any unmanned turnings or people who 'couldnt be bothered' they all encouraged me to keep going, asked if i was ok etc.
    I'm currently debating if i want ironman enough next year...i continue changing my mind so i'm taking some time about it...but if i do enter one...i will have NO hesitation in making it IMUK

• AND....entries are now open if you pre-registered
  • andy - this year was not better, you cannot say it was surely.  or the year before was that bad!!!

I guess its down to perception.  If you have never done proper IM events then this is i suppose acceptable.  If you have done any others you will join the long list that will not be going back!

• have you joined this forum just to slag off IMUK ?
    if so .. point made. move on.

jeremy Makin 2 wrote (see)

kingy - I did IM UK this year too!! OMG!  I never seen so many rude people at what they call an expo (3 stands - mainly their own)

IMHO - Course not dressed, no atmosphere, run course through woods and busy road; bike course with roadworks on, one set started during the race!! And the swim???  Any swim course that is delayed because the toxic report is yet to come back!!

Guys forget Bolton, every year they get the same feedback and nothing!! we should not support these types of races.  Get onto the new challenge or Wales event or go abroad.  You have been warned....I will not be going back!!

expos has never been a strong point here.

i got plenty of atmosphere, support at a babylon lane & sheephouse  (bottom & steep section) and the run into T2 was great. plus plenty at the pubs & cps on the run, the finish was frankly excellent too.
    run course through the woods was quite fun i thought image

i only saw one set of roadworks on the bike, which was mentioened in the race briefing.

swim started pretty much on time as far as i can recall, maybe a few delays getting people into the water.

tbh i'll consider wales next year if i can afford it, not sure about challenge.. same price as IM but no slots ??... where's all that extra cash going.