Options

IMUK 2011

Comments

• Options
    "same price as IM but no slots ??... where's all that extra cash going."

to Challenge Group - they charge £50K up front for the use of the name - that has to come from entry fees.

and it looks like IMUK have opened today to spike IMW which opens tomorrow - just seems too much of a coincidence eh??
  • Options

And only 180 places left apparently. Wonder if they are the same 180 places that were left from last year the day before the race?image Did it ever actually fill up?

I'd still go back though. I might, I dunno yet. I'm not paying today though. And I'll try and find a cheaper hotel next time.

• Options

Registered. Holy s@@t it seems very real now.

Good luck to all who are doing it. I wouldn't mind getting out on the bike run in the new year if anyone fancies it.

• Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    "same price as IM but no slots ??... where's all that extra cash going." to Challenge Group - they charge £50K up front for the use of the name - that has to come from entry fees.

yeh i appreciate that..... i'm just not entirely sure what you get for the name ! (like much branded stuff i guess)

i was after a cheaper option next year and liked the idea of copenhagen....... or any other challenge race but price isnt favourable.

• Options

good luck kingy.. put the hours in and rehearse your fuelling well and you'll have a spiffing day out i'm sure, failing that you'll at least have an experience of some kind image

hours on the bike... and plenty of hills.

• Options
    if you go into latest news you'll see its just an error...it says 180 slots for 70.3 left
    i think with imw, outlaw and challenge IMUK will not sell out anytime soon if at all.
    i do fancy the outlaw...but at the same time this is on my doorstep....not that that helped me finish last year tho.

well done Kingy, if i'm in or out i'll take ya round the courses in the new year mate
  • Options
    Back and forth, does this topic ever get dropped. I did IM UK 2010, didn't do 2009, so can't comment on the quagmire, or how things changed, for the worse/better. 2010 was my first attempt at an iron distance race, and therefore my first IM race. I haven't done a European race to compare either.

What I can say is that I had a jolly good time. The organisation, race, marshalling etc exceeded all of my expectations, and at the end of a long day I heard the words "you are an IRONMAN".

As to the Expo, I'll admit it isn't the biggest thing in the world, but, I wasn't there fore a shopping experience, and I had all my kit I needed for race day. Why anyone wants to buy new kit the day before the race is still beyond me.

The swim start, think it as about 45 seconds late. It was advertised as starting a 6 am, and my watch was reading 6 am when I started.

Green algae, didn't delay my swim didn't affect, my swim, and I can't recall seeing any, but I'm not a micro-biologist.

Marshalling, I was near the back on the bike course, and every junction was fully, marshalled when I passed through it, and I took my time to thank all of them.

Split transitions, are a pain. But I did three HIM in 2010 and two of them also had split transitions, it's just something you have to deal with.

Other brands, I did IM UK because I am shallow and I wanted to hear the words "you are an IRONMAN", I don't want to be an "OUTLAW" or a "CHALLENGE", or whatever they say at the end.

European events, never done one, but seeing the photos they do look better supported, but I know that if I ever decide to do one then it'll be another step up from IM UK.

2011, I did say I wasn't going to do an IM in 2011, but I would do IM UK in 2012. However, IMW has now come along, and it's almost on my doorstep, so I feel it would be rude not to.

So for me, 2011 will be IMW, potentially.
  • Options
    And Andy, do it. You need to finish this thing, otherwise it will always haunt you. And the fact it's on your doorstep is only a god thing. Not training, or ever seeing the Bolton course before race day certainly didn't do me any favours, hence I'm doing IMW next year. I'll be able to ride the course a few times during training which will make a huge difference.

Get yourself signed up, get out on the bike, and give your training some proper focus.

And well done for Berlin again.
  • Options
    Registered after returning home from my swimming session. Not as out of breath after each length this time so I must be doing something right. 2.4 miles sounds like a long way off at this moment in time.
  • Options
    If somebody can tell me how to put a picture in, (copy & paste wont work), I can show you IMswamp 2009. Just before the cameraman sank.....
  • Options
    which is totally unrepresentative of the 2010 race .. held at completely different venues to 2009..... for (among others) that very reason imageimage
  • Options

we could also talk about the state of the roads at copenhagen this year, and the unclean water for the swim..... .... .. ...  . ..   .      .    .

or the open transition on a rain soaked IMCH 2008 i think it was.... ... .. .  .    .

• Options

So....

Howsabout we all give IMUK a clean slate for 2011 and let them get it right. All cards are unmarked?

Let the final Bolton incarnation show us what they can do now they have had a chance to get it right.

Can't say fairer than that

I'll juss go and fish my bike out of the swamp thenimage

• Options
    Dustboy wrote (see)

So....

Howsabout we all give IMUK a clean slate for 2011 and let them get it right. All cards are unmarked?

thats what we did this year... and it was fine image

• Options

lol.

but i aint doing it next year anyhoooo... its too hard image

• Options
    Sounds like a good plan..

and Cheers M.Tri....i think i will...but i just want to take my time..make sure i'm 100% committed to it...i cant face another dnf of this thing. plus i need to get my shoulder sorted and make sure i can do a lot of swimming next year to get it right (the easy bit)...so i'm just gonna hang on a few weeks and see how thats going with the treatment...but i think like you...the fact its on my doorstep again will be too much of a draw to not do it!!
  • Options
    No rush Andy, it didn't fill this year, and I'm sure it won't fill next year, especially with all the new and extra competition for our money. Get yourself fit, the shoulder sorted, get the head in the right place, and then enter. You know what didn't work this year, and what your weaknesses were, so you'll over come them next time. You've also got a marathon under your belt as well now.

Don't skimp on the bike training, just got to get time in the saddle, but also some quality time. I know, I was lacking power. Had the endurance, and could do the distance, but speed was my issue, just didn't have it.

Oh, and polish that new medal
  • Options
    Hmm, I have a DNF monster to banish as well.
  • Options
    did you dnf IMUK dustboy???
  • Options

I did it this year have no complaints and enjoyed every minute. I've just signed up again and hopefully with proper bike training take an hour off my time.

I'm local and up for any rides and runs time permitting will keep an eye on here or you can PM me

Andy I'm sure you wont let your arm stop you and you know your gonna do it. image

• Options
    just had confirmation - IM wales goes live at 2pm tomorrow uk time
  • Options
    AndyB99. Yup. Missed bike cutoff and they ushered me off the course.image
  • Options

so............

UK or W then?

• Options
    gutted for ya dustboy...i made it with 8 seconds or so to spare...had to try the run then but could only do 11 or so miles...i was broke!!!
  • Options
    Sorry guys, went for Wales instead, based on the fact I really like Tenby
  • Options

Hi everyone,

I am very tempted to do IMUK as its not far for me to get too. I entered the outlaw but I had to pull out before race day because my arthritis flared up. This would be my first ironman so I want to make sure I enter the right one for me. what is the run section like? is there any off road bits. just thinking of my foot. And what is the swim cut off time, I am not very quick at swimming yet. I know its hilly but it would be great that my family could come and watch me. 

• Options

8 seconds to spare! Class performance. Well done.

Spoony2, think the swim cutoff is about 2.15 or 2.20. Is that a Martin in your  avatar BTW?

• Options
    spoony2 - first 2 miles of the run on a  mud path through a wood!  then once you hit road its pretty much tarmac all the way. Pretty hard down side of river, up mud bank again back onto road surface.