IMUK 2011

Comments

• Thanks for the info, I dont have the money yet to enter. Do you think it will fill up fast?

I can only do breast sroke at the mo, is frontcrawl realy the way to go? 

Can anyone recommend a good training plan image

• Dustboy- yes its a Martin it was my dads. Do you play the guitar?
  • to be fair the first run section through the woods only had a couple of hundred yards of muddy section.... caused by alot of heavy plant on it the week before due to an unforeseen issue. not a problem for me, quite liked watching all these ponsy IM types tip toeing over the mud image

mud bank getting off the cycle lane section is also rather unfair, neither year has been particularly dry and i don't recall any mud. it's a steep hard packed gravel/flint climb from my recollection.

• Hi Spoony I live in Bolton and can confirm the first 2 miles is normally a stoned up or to give it correct term metalled lane about 20 to 30 foot wide. The link from tarmac  river path to road above was grass when I ran up it no more than 200 yards.

• Aye, I dabble only these days though Spoony2. Never played a Martin, apparently they are very sweet.
  • ed m and woody - its thick mud for 2 miles!!! no flint metal in sight!! but once you are through this its fine./,  Got it on video if you want to see it.
  • enter it spoony, if you're local you can check it out...it wasnt too bad and the part from the cycle path was fine...the first section WAS mude in places...but its ok..the read is usually just fine....rain and plant had messed it up...i'm local and know!!!
  • Thanks 8iron but I've no need to see it, I was there and as you say it was muddy.  The mud was caused by plant and machinery that used the lane for access, to demolish a property just at the side of the lane that week. The lane it not normally used for traffic other than pedestrians cyclists and horse riders. and is not normally in that condition. If you went to the pre race briefing it was made clear why the lane was usually muddy for that reason. I had been training along the route on 3 previous weekends and was surprised to see the state of it, next year it should be fine.
  • oops...sorry for my spelling there....having a month off and some beers....lol
    mude=mud
    read=road
    that should make sense now.
  • Sounds great to me I LOVE mud, I am going to enter when I get the money together.

I have just signed up for a frontcrawl clinic its next sunday, imageimageimage

• Great to have you with us Spoony swim coach definitely the best way to go.
  • likewise 8iron... i ran over it and have a fairly good recollection thanks.
  • woody, I couldn't swim freestyle at all at the beginning of the year.

I entered my first sprint tri in June and was last out of the water by about a minute. Breast stroke was painfully slow. I started swim coaching in July and managed to get out of the water in the middle of the main field in a recent standard distance tri.

Swim coaching saved my life.....well maybe not saved my life, but speeded up my swim time by 40%

• Great progress Kingy you must have been well pleased. It also makes swimming less effort, you can feel when things are right which makes it more enjoyable.
  • Just a quick heads up. I was wondering why my payment hadn't come out of my bank account so I rang the number on the email they sent me. I was told that they were having problems with their  web payment system and they have to do it manually, so while I was on the phone they sorted it within a few seconds. She confirmed payment had been processed and I have a place. I just wonder if my place would of been held if I hadn't of rang?
  • So who is registered then?

Kingy

Firey1

.........anyone else?

Anyone from Yorkshire fancies some bike action, just give me a shout image

• IMUK 2011 - Participants

Firey 1
    Kingy
    Woody
  • Brilliant Woody. I would love to meet you for a ride and see the bike course if you fancy it? Probably better to leave it til spring if that's OK with you. My turbo trainer turned up yesterday, so even the ice, rain, snow etc won't get me off my bike.

I am blogging by the way if anyone is interested (probably not image  )

http://kingysroadtoironman.blogspot.com/

Those that have committed - we salute you.

Those that want to commit - come on, it is better to regret the things you have done rather than the things you have not.

299 days to go
  • Hi Kingy look forward to meeting you and anyone else for a lap or two of the course. I'll check out your blog I've threatened to start one myself but never got round to it imageimage
  • Kingy - Good Blog! I'll make sure to keep poping back over the next year to check progress

• firey1 - as IM have global contract with actve and no payment can be received over the phone it may be worth double checking or get a confirmation letter from triuk.  just in case!!
  • Hi 8iron, I received the confirmation email with the payment details etc as soon as I paid online last week. It was just the money hadn't left my account, but as soon as the lady on the phone pushed what ever buttons at her end the money left straight away. Just got off the phone again and they confirmed that I'm registered and the confirmation email is all I'll get.

• The email receipt is enough firey1.

How is the training going? 

• Just edited my post as you posted yours Kingy. Training is steady but enjoyable. I've been hammering the swim and it's improving slowly. Tomorrow I'm going for my weekly LSR that will be roughly 13 miles. I'm gonna keep my training as it is for now and do a specific training plan by Don Fink straight out of the Be Iron Fit book.
  • hi people. i'm not registered...i just want to get the low-down on my shoulder first. i cant see it selling out this year. i'm going to start my run training next week. put together a 10 week plan to improve my running before i revert back to the Fink plan (ignoring the base phase this time and just doubling the build time) in the new year...like the blog kingy, dont know if you've read back in this thread but my blog is http://andysironmanattempt.blogspot.com/

it has a race report from last year and will hopefully by this weekend have Tatton OD and Berlin Marathon reports. feel free to follow. i'm going to follow yours to keep upto date.

providing my shoulder isnt too badly damaged, i'm pretty much committed to beating this thing next year...and of course group rides can count me in this time
  • Andy, your blog has hit the spot with me. I feel for you mate. I am sure you will hammer it next year. Great readin, mate. You have a way with words.

I will keep an eye out for updates.

Best wishes

• Aye, it's great reading the update Andy - would have been a shame if the previous post had been the last

Enjoy Berlin - it's a cracker! keep an eye out for the rollermarathon which runs the day before fun to watch!
  • Hi Mr Z, berlin was last weekend and i loved it...finally got the marathon under my belt and running is a bad sport for me so it was great. report is on the blag now but needless to say it wasn't fast...hence the 10 week running plan.
    thanks again for the kind comments guys...cant wait to get started again if i'm honest....i'm climbing the walls
  • Thanks for the links to the bloggs lads. Andy, what a year you had mate, you are a real inspiration. Where did you do your OW swimming?